elyzabethv's profileBrand User

11K Messages

• 

144.8K Points

Wednesday, August 28th, 2024 7:08 PM

Strange Characters on Websites

Strange Characters on Websites

Hello all, 

For the past month or so, we have been aware of reports of strange characters appearing in place of spaces and punctuation on Sitebuilder Plus sites. There is a ticket created to resolve this issue. We are working to get this fixed for you all. Originally, they thought it was an intermittent issue or just happening on some sites, so they were fixing them on a case-by-case basis, but the volume of reports kept increasing. They are now working with our sysops team to look at the servers and make corrections from there. Unfortunately, this is taking longer than expected and longer than any of us were hoping it would. I am doing all that I can by forwarding your reports, concerns, and frustrations so that they understand the importance of this issue. Please know that this ticket is marked as a major priority. I don't have a time frame to give you currently, but if I get any different information, I will let you know. 

Some customers have found success by manually deleting extra spaces and characters in the text boxes of their websites and republishing. I know this is not a permanent fix and some of you have so many pages with text that makes this an unreasonable request, but it may be a way for some of you to temporarily resolve this while we work on this from our end. Additionally, this is not an issue being experienced on WebsiteBuilder sites, so as we always suggest, now might be a good time to make the switch to a platform that is more updated, mobile friendly, and secure. 

To answer some of the concerns I've seen mentioned, this is not a method we are using to phase out Homestead Sitebuilder, we have not abandoned the platform, and this was not done on purpose to get you to switch to Web.com or any of our other sister companies. We aren't currently aware of why this happened, but we're working on getting that answer so we can resolve this for you all. 

I will be merging all of the current conversations related to this issue with this post. I am not trying to delete or hide comments, this issue is just currently spread over many posts and I am trying to consolidate so it is easier to see the volume. 

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

19 days ago

My website comes up as not secure on the webaddress and when I go to the website, there are weird characters with in the lettering in the welcoming paragraph and the hours of operation.  

What coud be the issue and how do I fix that.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Website says not secure and weird characters within the writing.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

19 days ago

Homestead site builder plus shows fine in Preview mode, but has started adding spurious  on live site after publication. This is on Votewell.net. Similar on Globe1234.org

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled rendering spaces

1.7K Messages

• 

17.4K Points

There has been a problem with weird text lettering for the last few months. We're waiting for Homestead/web.com to post a solution. One customer claimed that eliminating punctuation between letters solved his problem. Homestead/web.com hasn't posted a solution. Try this and let us know if it works for you.
"Edit the text box, remove excess spaces between letters and words, leaving no unnecessary punctuation."

You can SSL your Sitebuilder Plus website by following this article:
Can I Secure My Homestead Website With HTTPS?
https://community.homestead.com/conversations/sitebuilder-plus/can-i-secure-my-homestead-website-with-https/5f2a9b1658180958845a60de

8.27.24: greg1410 has offered this solution: "
Edit the text box, remove excess space between letters, and the words, and leave no space.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

@russell5607​ Thanks. With your explanation, I first solved by removing problem spaces, which are the ones next to: links or punctuation or multiple spaces. Then I put them back in in white text on white background. The extra A also turns white, so I get wide spaces. I could change to white hyphen, but prefer space.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

19 days ago

When I insert an image, it is not the size I want it to be, it's too small, and it cuts off some of the image. When I click on the photo the edit/replace option doesn't appear and also the photo gallery setting window doesn't show up either.

Another problem I'm having is when I go to the site, there is an "A" with a squiggly mark on top of it where my spaces are. This isn't at every space, just a few places. I tried deleting the space and adding another one, but it's still there.

Thank you.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled problems with photos

1.7K Messages

• 

17.4K Points

Review: ADDING IMAGES SB+:
Here is an article to assist with uploading images to Sitebuilder. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/sitebuilder-plus-add-an-image
Select insert > image. If you add a photo gallery, it will auto thumbnail the image(s)
You can hold down the shift key and click on multiple images to upload more than one image at a time.

Use the properties editor to arrange and space images.

1.7K Messages

• 

17.4K Points

@ann4926​ Use the properties editor to space your images. You can use the lunapic ap to size images before uploading: https://www3.lunapic.com/editor/.

Regarding weird characters, review; https://community.homestead.com/conversations/troubleshooting/strange-characters-on-websites/66cf75a9d27af67b2fab2146?commentId=66cf75f63755ac68ad52650e&replyId=66cf833bbea60f3f0ade00ff

4 Messages

• 

80 Points

19 days ago

Hi, our website has been showing strange character that do not appear when I login to edit the site. Are these related to the updates, and how do they get removed so people can actually read the info posted on the site???

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Strange characters on website

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

I've done some work on trying to fix the strange characters that showed up in one of my HS websites and here's a quick, partial fix for now.

The coding issue with HS back-end is messing up when formatting changes are added to text. So when I retyped the text and made some text bold or added a color, the odd characters came back. 

So just copy and paste all your text into a note app like OneNote where the formatting is removed. Or paste into MS Word and remove the formatting. Then paste it back into your text box. If the problem comes back, you might have to delete the text box and create a new one. You won't be able to format the text within a paragraph, but you can format an entire paragraph or headline as long as you have a hard return before and after the text. It looks like it's the transition from one format to another within a paragraph that is causing the issue.

NOTE: before you make changes to your text take a screen shot of your web pages so you'll know how to make the formatting edits after HS fixes this issue. Or just take photos of the pages with your smart phone for future reference.

236 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

Thank you, I posted a similar option using cut and paste, BUT realize this is NOT a fix, merely a work around....IF someone has the time to do this. If a website has a few pages, this is an option, BUT if many pages are involved, it is a true nightmare. 

We need a complete fix. A writing back of the code so the old cold works.

To put this in perspective for you, for just my "instance" go here to my homepage, then poke around at the links. It won't take long to discover my problem. I really doubt there are many using HS that have the size of my sites. YOu go there, then you tell me what you think. It has taken me hours in the last days, to get just a half dozen pages to look right/good.     Thanks, Greg

https://www.candgcoins.com/ 

45 Messages

• 

750 Points

19 days ago

I have found out that my site www.mendotaareaseniorservices.org when published looks fine but when I view the site through the browser (Google) it shows strange characters where symbols (!, $, %, etc) should be. Can you advise what has happened? I need to have an answer on this as soon as possible.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Strange characters

45 Messages

• 

750 Points

I have found that if I publish and preview the site appears fine. But when I pull the site up on a different browser is where the strange characters show up. Please look into this if you can.

1.7K Messages

• 

17.4K Points

You are not the only account suffering from this problem. Call support and ask them if they have a solution. Let us know what you find out.

Call support for HELP.
Hours of Operation for Live Support: Mon-Fri: 6a - 5p MST (No DST)
Sales: 1-800-986-0958
Support: 1-800-710-1998
FREE SEO Consultation: 1-888-412-9962
Sat-Sun: Closed

29 Messages

• 

240 Points

The problem is, Homestead stopped updating their Web Builder Plus, to be phased out. Those characters are from the "tabs" and some "spaces" in your words. If you remove those tabs to start with, many of those issues will go away. Homestead told me this morning to copy out the text, delete the text box, then make a new text box and copy back in, from the outside source, the desired text. Save, Publish and see where you stand. They suggested that we create new sites, using their latest Web Builder software.

29 Messages

• 

240 Points

19 days ago

My web site, actually the one that I maintain, started having display issues with Firefox but Edge was ok. Now its gone downhill to both Firefox and Edge, are showing the same garbage characters that shouldn't be there. Web builder program shows it all good, publish to the web appears to proceed normally but what I see, different computers, different browser, shows corruption.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled My site is not displaying correctly

1.7K Messages

• 

17.4K Points

What's the website address?

Have you called support?

Call support for HELP.

29 Messages

• 

240 Points

Trying to find support is nearly non-exisitent. I will try that number right away. This particular site is a simple, non-business, "parkridgeatleecreek.org"

I've verified that now its also showing the messed up characters being put in there via IOS/Safari too. So this issue is coming from Homestead and/or the hosting service they use since this is where the hosting was signed up for.

1.7K Messages

• 

17.4K Points

@parkridgepoa6169http://www.parkridgeatleecreek.org/

Have you tried deleting the corrupted copy and entering new copy?

image.png

The connection to parkridgeatleecreek.org is not secure

You are seeing this warning because this site does not support HTTPS. Learn more

Call support for HELP.

How to Add an SSL Certificate to Your Wix Site
https://support.wix.com/en/article/troubleshooting-your-ssl-certificate
YouTube video: https://youtu.be/MSxykzdYkII?si=lISp71AfiifAIO3p

4 Messages

• 

80 Points

I am having the same issue.  I erased all the pages and started again.  All are fixed but one.  I can't seem to get rid of it.

1.7K Messages

• 

17.4K Points

@pamela2035​ Ditch that page. It's corrupted. Start a new page, copy and paste from your website.

4 Messages

• 

80 Points

19 days ago

Random A' s are showing up in my text that I can't get rid of.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Random A' are showing up in my text that I can't get rid of.

5 Messages

• 

182 Points

19 days ago

I am unable to use punctuation marks (accent markes, apostrephes, etc). Also this same problem comes up when Google searches for the site. How do I fix these two problems.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Punctuation Marks are showing as blocks and odd letters

29 Messages

• 

240 Points

The problem is, Homestead stopped updating their Web Builder Plus, to be phased out. Those characters are from the "tabs" and some "spaces" in your words. If you remove those tabs to start with, many of those issues will go away. Homestead told me this morning to copy out the text, delete the text box, then make a new text box and copy back in, from the outside source, the desired text. Save, Publish and see where you stand. They suggested that we create new sites, using their latest Web Builder software.

6 Messages

• 

190 Points

19 days ago

I'm seeing Characters and Fonts before and after words.

How do I rid them from my site?

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Font and Characters corrupted

1.7K Messages

• 

17.4K Points

There are many reports like yours.

HELP
Hours of Operation for Live Support
Sales: 1-800-986-0958 (Support can also be contacted via this number)
Mon-Fri: 6:00am - 5:00pm MST(No DST)

29 Messages

• 

240 Points

10 Messages

• 

150 Points

This has been an ongoing issue all year. Has anyone switched from Homestead to Go Daddy and had success. I really don't have time to fix all Homestead problems and issues every month. 

7 Messages

• 

180 Points

Please give me CLEAR directive for editing text in my mobile site. I have delete it on my desktop hundreds of times, cleared formatting and retyped it and yet I still cannot reduce size in mobile site. Help!

10 Messages

• 

150 Points

Why does the website not come up when on google on your cell phone? 

13 Messages

• 

186 Points

19 days ago

I noticed that suddenly there is a bunch of AAA gibberish text in my text boxes all over my site! I've been sending out emails and applying for work with this mess!!!!  HELP!!!  I try to retype or delete and redo, and it doesn't show up in the previews or on the site builder site yet when I publish and look online, they're still there! 

I see several other people posting about this so there must have been a change at homestead. What is happening? I don't see a fix or advice to correct this in any posts.  HELP!

lots of this all over my website:

I've been a loyal customer for OVER 20 YEARS! REALLY UNHAPPY with site builder and the MAC accessibility and this happening has negatively affected my business!!  HELP ME FIX THIS ASAP!

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled gibberish on my site
Brand User

11K Messages

• 

144.8K Points

Hello, 

There is a ticket created to investigate and resolve this issue, but the engineers need more time to work on it. I'll update here on Community when I get any word of a resolution.

9 Messages

• 

164 Points

@elyzabethv​ This is really frustrating. It looks horrible to customers and destroying reputations and professionalism. We should be compensated. 

9 Messages

• 

164 Points

Same boat.

29 Messages

• 

240 Points

14 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

I tried deleting the text box, putting a new one there and retyping everything but it is still there!

6 Messages

• 

182 Points

19 days ago

My website built with sitebuilder (craignewton.com) suddenly has a bunch of  appearing all over the page. This is a new developement. what is going on and how can I fix it.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Unwanted  characters have suddenly started to appear

1.7K Messages

• 

17.4K Points

Call support for HELP.

The connection to www.craignewton.com is not secure

You are seeing this warning because this site does not support HTTPS. Learn more

How to Add an SSL Certificate to Your Wix Site
https://support.wix.com/en/article/troubleshooting-your-ssl-certificate
YouTube video: https://youtu.be/MSxykzdYkII?si=lISp71AfiifAIO3p

14 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

I have two sites and it is only on one of them!

107 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

Having the same issue with  on every page. It looks like there are a lot of posts related to this same issue.

8 Messages

• 

100 Points

I contacted homestead/web.com and was told that the site builder we currently use is basically obsolete and we'll need to build a new site using the updated publisher. Thankfully, the new publisher will also be free to use. To fix the issue in the meantime, just go into the editor and essentially "erase" where the A's are - just using backspace will accomplish this - and republish the page.

24 Messages

• 

390 Points

Thank you - will do this today - soo annoyed and devastated - is homestead actually care about us as customers - 20 years I have been running my site and it is now an absolute mess!

8 Messages

• 

100 Points

19 days ago

All of a sudden, we have weird characters showing up on our site, but only on the desktop version. Any idea how to fix this? 

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Odd Characters

27 Messages

• 

702 Points

I have the same thing, it happened to me a year ago and went in and changed it but now this time much worse and more pages. Absurd. Trying to get help from them but it is not promising that they did not respond to you yet.

9 Messages

• 

110 Points

i have this as well.

27 Messages

• 

702 Points

it so bad, i had to delete any extra space reformat so much on 8 pages. And some things it does not even make sense - like if something is bullet point or italics or links it wont let something next to it without the weird A or other character set

4 Messages

• 

82 Points

19 days ago

I have several A with carrot above the A on my website in several locations.  The biggest bunch of them is on the prices (services) page and making it difficult for clients to comprehend.  Please help!

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled weird characters AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA on website

6 Messages

• 

182 Points

I was having the same problem. I went in and just started trying everything. It seems to be something corrupt with the text boxes and spaces. Every where this was occurring, I went in and deleted the text box, then placed a NEW text box, and "retyped"...yes retyped the text, NOT cut and paste. That seems to have solved the problem. I no longer have the random unwanted characters showing up.

Its a terrible solution, especially if you have large amounts of corrupt text, but it works!

107 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

Same Here

304 Messages

• 

9.1K Points

Hometead this needs fixed NOW!

16 Messages

• 

404 Points

Yes, I have same problem!  Please fix or give instructions as soon as possible.  I agree with other posts that it is too much work for the site owner to re-type every text box.

6 Messages

• 

90 Points

19 days ago

This symbol is on every page of my homestead website this morning: Â

I am beyond devastated and hope there's a fix. Screenshot of the top of my home page. However, this symbol appears on every page of my 75+ page classroom website. NOT how I envisioned starting the new school year.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled HELP! This Symbol On Every Page of my Website Â

107 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

The same with my website. Here's an example from page https://www.masterclassmanagement.com/Leadership_Training-Management_Course-Key_Points_to_Leadership.html

1.  Develop trust and credibility.  When people trust you, they will be more inclined to follow you.  If they follow you, and you have all the pieces of the puzzle in place as described throughout this course, you will succeed.  A leader builds trust by considering the “good of all” when making decisions. Leaders do not abuse their power, but build trust by using it properly.  Trust fosters collaboration, which contributes to openly sharing information, which then creates a solid team who supports each other.  Trust is based on the respect and expectations of a leader who cares and acts with compassion in a most positive way.  With trust there is:   

• Honesty 
  • Integrity 
  • Compassion 
  • Fairness 
  • Good relationships 

6 Messages

• 

90 Points

@bill9059​ I appreciate knowing this isn't an isolated incident and am so sorry to see your site is also affected. I read this response from tom4728 "the reality is that Homestead has decided not to support the Sitebuilder+ platform any longer after my 12 years worth of business with them." I've been with Homestead since 2001. Not sure what I'm going to choose to do going forward. I'm so disheartened.

38 Messages

• 

484 Points

19 days ago

PLEASE HELP. This happened a few years ago, these               showing up all over my website www.dougriggs.org

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Screwed up website with               characters

107 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

Same here, multiple  is on every page of my website www.masterclassmanagement.com

304 Messages

• 

9.1K Points

Same here, this needs fixed NOW!

6 Messages

• 

90 Points

Same here. This is my classroom website. I've been with Homestead since 2001. Disheartened doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. www.mrsdingman.com

2 Messages

• 

60 Points

Our website is experiencing the same problem.  Every page has A's and a's on it. Need to fix it, but how?

304 Messages

• 

9.1K Points

Given recent operations on this help page, it is doubtful anyone will be here to help soon. I have gone into my site and have been able to "fix" some of the "A" errors on one page. It would take literally days to fix them manually.

Luckily, retirement is coming for me soon.