F

4 Messages

• 

80 Points

Tuesday, August 6th, 2024 11:20 PM

Closed

Strange characters on website

Hi, our website has been showing strange character that do not appear when I login to edit the site. Are these related to the updates, and how do they get removed so people can actually read the info posted on the site???

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

Strange Characters on Websites

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

23 days ago

I've done some work on trying to fix the strange characters that showed up in one of my HS websites and here's a quick, partial fix for now.

The coding issue with HS back-end is messing up when formatting changes are added to text. So when I retyped the text and made some text bold or added a color, the odd characters came back. 

So just copy and paste all your text into a note app like OneNote where the formatting is removed. Or paste into MS Word and remove the formatting. Then paste it back into your text box. If the problem comes back, you might have to delete the text box and create a new one. You won't be able to format the text within a paragraph, but you can format an entire paragraph or headline as long as you have a hard return before and after the text. It looks like it's the transition from one format to another within a paragraph that is causing the issue.

NOTE: before you make changes to your text take a screen shot of your web pages so you'll know how to make the formatting edits after HS fixes this issue. Or just take photos of the pages with your smart phone for future reference.

236 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

23 days ago

Thank you, I posted a similar option using cut and paste, BUT realize this is NOT a fix, merely a work around....IF someone has the time to do this. If a website has a few pages, this is an option, BUT if many pages are involved, it is a true nightmare. 

We need a complete fix. A writing back of the code so the old cold works.

To put this in perspective for you, for just my "instance" go here to my homepage, then poke around at the links. It won't take long to discover my problem. I really doubt there are many using HS that have the size of my sites. YOu go there, then you tell me what you think. It has taken me hours in the last days, to get just a half dozen pages to look right/good.     Thanks, Greg

https://www.candgcoins.com/