homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Thursday, July 18th, 2019 7:48 PM

WebsiteBuilder: Connect More Than 1 Domain to Site

WebsiteBuilder: Connect More Than 1 Domain to Site

Note: This article applies only to new Websitebuilder sites.

Homestead Websitebuilder is designed to use only 1 domain. It is possible to use more than 1 domain by following some specific steps. 

1) Register or point the primary domain name to the desired site. Please confirm the primary domain is active and working before adding additional domains.

2) In order to add more domains, you must first add a new site. To do so, go to Websites manager and select Add a new site.

Name the new site something unique. The system will alert you if it is already in use.

Do not choose a design when you are returned to the Websites manager page.

3) Now you need support help. Please post your new site name here. I'll need to run a conversion for you to allow the pointing work.

4) Click on the domains tab. You may point or register the additional domains to the new site. After the additional domains have been successfully pointed or registered, you will still need to make some changes. For each domain you will need to go to the domains tab and click on Advanced DNS settings.

5) Click edit and in the A records section click the remove checkbox for the 2 indicated records. In the CNAME section, add the 2 indicated records and then hit Submit.

6) Once the DNS is updated, there is one more step. Change the www subdomain to point to the primary domain name.

7) Click on the domains tab and then click on the edit link to the right of the www subdomain.

8) Click  on the radio button to the left of "Other URL" then enter the primary domain name. Finally click save and allow 30 minutes for the domain to begin working.

12 Messages

• 

452 Points

5 years ago

Hi there,

Thank you so so much for this information and hopefully assisting me in pointing two domains to the same site. The website we currently have is affinifyoregon.com and yesterday I purchased an additional domain name (affinitynorthwest.com) and I would like the affinitynorthwest.com domain to go to the affinityoregon.com website. I followed the first few instructions below and the address of the new site is: affinitynorthwest.homesteadcloud.com. If possible will you please email me to let me know if/when you have run the conversion so that I know when I can proceed with following the next set of steps. My email address is: torrey@affinityoregon.com. I am so grateful that this can be done.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again,
Torrey
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

5 years ago

Hello,

You would need to associate the new domain affinitynorthwest.com to any Sitebuilder plus site, which is any website in your account that ends in .homestead.com. Once that is connected you can continue with steps 7 and 8 to forward it to affinityoregon.com and have both domains pull up the same site. 

12 Messages

• 

452 Points

Hi Michelle,

Thank you so very much for getting back to me. I have been out of the office for the past several days so I just saw your reply. In the domain center under affinitynorthwest.com it shows site: affinityoregon and they are both pointing to the same .homestead.com address; however when I type affinitynorthwest.com into a browser I get a message that says Page Not Found. Oh Man looks like you are totally lost. Want to go back to the homepage. When I click the link that says Homepage nothing happens. Can you please help me with this? I would greatly appreciate it. I really need to get the northwest site working asap.

Thank you so much Michelle,
Torrey
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

No problem, I can help you out with the process. I have set up both domains to point to the same site it will be showing in about 20 minutes. 

12 Messages

• 

452 Points

Hi Michelle,

You are awesome! I just tried it out and it works great! I cannot thank you enough for all of your assistance with this, I greatly appreciate it! I ordered business cards & letterhead with the affinity northwest address on them, which are arriving today and I started getting worried that pointing the website to the other wasn't going to work, so what a relief that it does.

Thank you again so very much Michelle. I hope you have a beautiful day!

Torrey
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Perfect! So happy to hear that you are seeing it now and the cards are arriving just in time. I am always glad to help out, please let me know if you have any questions in the future. Thank you, have a wonderful day also!

12 Messages

• 

464 Points

Hi there,

I have tried to point my website to a second domain name (lifetuning.co.nz Registrar Domainsforless New Zealand) which created issues with my current website www.lifetuning.net (also Reg with Domainforless) to Lifecoachnz1.homesteadcloud.

Now I have lost the connection from www.lifetuning.net  to Lifecoachnz1.homesteadcloud. I have re-entered the Name Servers on the registrar's website as per pic below:

Would it be ok to ask for a check and possible re-link please (www.lifetuning.net  to Lifecoachnz1.homesteadcloud)?
Many thanks,
Frank

232 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

3 years ago

Working on this but the images are so small I can't tell what A records to remove and CNAMEs to add.  I don't want to mess it up.  I already have an old .homestead.com site to use.  Working on connecting shiawasseenews.com (presently pointing to corunnanow.homestead.com) to corunnanow.com (corunna21.homesteadcloud.com).  Will you let me know what records to edit and also if you need to do anything before I make those changes.  Thanks much.

232 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

Update: It seems the A/CNAME records had already been changed.  (?)  All is good, the site is pointing correctly!  Thank you!

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

This is already connected properly, when I type in shiawasseenews.com, it takes me to the subdomain in place which is https://corunnanow.com/coronavirus.

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Perfect! 

12 Messages

• 

186 Points

2 years ago

Hello, I am trying to get one site to point to another, I have an old site www.douglaschargers.org and I want it to redirect to www.douglasbulldogs.org.  I have tried to associate it, but if I unassociate the bulldogs site then it wont load.  

Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.4K Points

You'll need to follow the instructions in this article starting at step 6. Edit the subdomain to point to the Other URL, which will be your main domain name. 

12 Messages

• 

186 Points

I will try that.  When you write the site do you do the www, or just the name?  Also is the web address or the homestead address?

Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.4K Points

You can just write the domain name. You don't need to type the www. 

12 Messages

• 

186 Points

I have tried this in every configuration I can think of and nothing seems to work.  Also now the Chargers site is down and will not load no matter what I do, any ideas?

Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.4K Points

It's working on my end. When you go to douglaschargers.org, it redirects to douglasbulldogs.org.

11 Messages

• 

200 Points

2 years ago

So this is to set up a 301 permanent redirect, correct?

Can I email someone the second domain name that I want to point to the first site? It says to post it here, but I’d prefer to email it to tech support.

Also, I don’t think there is an access to subdomains now, only to A records and CNames records, so I just delete records for * and www under A records and add them to CNames? Just making sure…

Thanks,

Alex.

Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.4K Points

Hello, 

If you follow the instructions in this article, the domain will be on a SB+ site, which still allows for subdomains. So, you'll still be able to add subdomains and it should work as long as you're trying to point those subdomains to a 3rd party site. 

We don't have email support, but if you call 1-800-710-1998, an agent can assist you.