homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 3:36 PM

Account: Create a New Site

Account: Create a New Site

Homestead has a couple different builders that have been used over the years. There was the original Sitebuilder Desktop. That program is limited in it's use, since it is an older program that is less compatible with modern systems. There is Sitebuilder Plus. This is the online version of the Sitebuilder Desktop program. It can only be used on existing sites that are already utilizing the program. Then, there is Website Builder. This is our newest builder that all new sites are created on.

To create a new Website Builder site:

1. Log in to your Homestead account.

2. Click on the Websites Manager tab, then click on Add New Website.
    Note: If you do not see Add New Website, then your account has reached its limit on sites. 2 additional sites can be made available for $2/month

3. Please provide a unique name for the site. This is just a placeholder that your site will be built under until you choose a domain name. Alternatively, you can choose to only use the site name, in which case, your site will work with the .homesteadcloud.com URL.

4. Click Add this Site. If the site name is already in use, you will be prompted to choose a different name.
    You do not enter a domain name in this space.

5. If your name is available, you will be taken back to the Websites Manager page.

6. If you are ready to move on, click Choose Design.

7. Select a category and/or search for keywords. You may also just browse through them by changing pages at the bottom.

8. When you find a template, hover your mouse over that template and click the select button to see a preview.

9. If you like the preview, click Select this Design. If you want to look at more options, select Close.

• At this time, it is not possible to change a template on a site. You would need to create a new site and pick a new template.

10. Clicking Select this Design will now bring you to the editor.

Click here to jump to step 2!

17 Messages

• 

410 Points

5 years ago

I like the selection but I want to alter the existing templates.  Can I do that?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello,

Yes any template you choose is fully customizable. You can change any part of them you want!

36 Messages

• 

796 Points

can I change my old site to the new builder?
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Yes, you can rebuild your current site in the new software. First, add a new site to your account and get started from there. In order to change from the old builder to the new it will require you to rebuild. All text can be copied and pasted into a text box from builder to builder. You will need to re upload images to the new software, here is an article to download your sites content to make it easier to move over. 

45 Messages

• 

580 Points

5 years ago

I have a site that is so outdated it is easier to build a new one than to edit existing one. Can I build a new site and then replace the one I have with it? How should I go about it?
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Yes you can! You would start by first adding a new site https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how-do-i-create-a-new-site.
Once you are done building it, you can attach any existing domain to it with these instructions https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_can_i_switch_my_domain_to_a_new_site_i_built

I would recommenced checking out the YouTube video tutorials to help you get familiar with the new builder. https://www.youtube.com/user/homesteadwebsites.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions during the process. 

45 Messages

• 

580 Points

I started with the new site and have a question. How can I create a template page? I need many similar pages - same layout, fonts and background, the difference is in the images and text. In desktop version of sitebuilder I created a template page and used "save as" option to make a new page. But there is no such tool in this new site builder. It is generally very different and counter-intuitive for me, I struggle through every element and every page... 
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Once you have your template page created, you can use the duplicate page X2 icon to create a new page with the same content, then you can just change out images/text to fit that page. 

45 Messages

• 

580 Points

Thank you!

45 Messages

• 

580 Points

I have a question about upgrade. My current package is "Website Gold Plus Package". When I go to "upgrade" from the site builder it offers me to add $9.99 per month. What services I shall have if I upgrade that I don't have now? 
Another question is technical about the sitebuilder - is there an option to "fold" a section on a page so it unfolds when a certain button is clicked?

7 Messages

• 

220 Points

4 years ago

did I read somewhere where website builder produced a secure site? But the name is http:// (not https://) 

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Doug,

WebsiteBuilder website are secured automatically but any Sitebuilder plus site do need to manually be set to to show secured with the instructions in this article. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/can-i-secure-my-homestead-website-with-https.

7 Messages

• 

220 Points

I'm in the process of trying to create (rebuild) the site using website builder (and struggling) The link you sent says - do not use if you have website builder.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Correct, WebsiteBuilder sites are automatically secured. After attaching your domain to the new site, if it does not show secured use the instructions here or reach out and I can make sure it is provisioned. 

7 Messages

• 

220 Points

I'm using the model photography template - struggling with how to add a link to the three boxes under the hero photo. It says the boxes are a 'data list' but I'm struggling to find what that means, and how to add a link. Please advise.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

The data list element is a default template element that unfortunately does not have the option to set up a link. However, if you would like links set up you can use images, shapes, buttons, icons, text or any elements from the list and use the attach link option that appears when selected. 

1 Message

• 

110 Points

4 years ago

When I click to preview a template it will not allow me to go down far enough to select the site
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

I would recommend you check your browsers zoom settings. It is possible that it is set to zoom, which is causing the page to cut off. Try putting the screen zoom to 100%, and see if you are able to choose a template then.

45 Messages

• 

580 Points

4 years ago

There is a problem with adding variations. It worked previously but now it doesn't. I added a new global variation, created a new product and added this new variation to it. But there is no table allowing me to edit availability and price of all the variations. I am attaching two screens to illustrate - the first one is of an old product, with that table, the second is the new one - without
Why it is always such a quest to edit my site with this Homestead new product? 
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

We need to create new posts for new issues.

Please reference the new conversation here: Variants in WB store

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

4 years ago

I have done before, I added a new website, I need to start with a BLANK template, from scratch, I'm not seeing option???
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello,

Website Builder doesn't have a blank template. If you want to create your own format, you will need to choose a template first. At that point, you can delete any content you don't want to use.

7 Messages

• 

172 Points

4 years ago

Site Builder makes it easy to build from a blank site. The online builder is too structured. Drag, move, edit, switch page, etc., is so easy with Site Builder. (Been with Homestead since 2002.) I only wish I could make my pages secure with https:.I can do a lot in just a few minutes on Site Builder, but with the online builder it takes forever. I feel like I've gone back to Kindergarten.

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Sitebuilder plus sites can be secured with the steps in this article https://community.homestead.com/conversations/sitebuilder-plus/can-i-secure-my-homestead-website-with-https/5f2a9b1658180958845a60de but Sitebuilder desktop sites do not have the capability to be secured as the software is extremely outdated. 

6 Messages

• 

180 Points

3 years ago

Very frustrating! I want to create my own site, I don't want a template. It didn't give me that option and now I am unable to change the design, even though I am following the steps. I do not like this new sitebuilder! 

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

Practice makes perfect. You can upload images, text, develop your menus and place them where you want them.

6 Messages

• 

180 Points

I have a bunch of images already uploaded, I just want to start out with a blank screen! 

6 Messages

• 

180 Points

Thank you for your reply! 

36 Messages

• 

476 Points

3 years ago

When I click "select this design" on step 9 I get a 404 error on every design.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

3 years ago

trying to create a new site.... chose a template but says file not found?  can someone help?

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

I can help reolve the issue. What website is giving you this error when selecting the template? 

8 Messages

• 

140 Points

3 years ago

How do I access my website to start designing it - it is not listed in the available options.

27 Messages

• 

710 Points

3 years ago

I currently have site builder plus with website gold extra ($273.99 per year) and I have been told that as I am having issues that I will need to change my site to Web builder. Does that mean that I will have to pay extra on top of what I am already paying?

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Using WebsiteBuilder does not incur any additional charge. 

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

2 years ago

what does "website Gold Plus Package" include.  does it include 2 websites???  thanks

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

I replied to your other question, so you'll see this on the pricing page, but it includes 3 websites. 

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

2 years ago

I can't even choose to design my own page. I have to use your predesigned ones... except now when I try to look at your predesigned ones, and click the homestead site builder... it sends me to a 404 Error page... STuck.

And I can't seem to get the new domain name I bought over to Homestead either... kurfunkled.

Susie

8 Messages

• 

130 Points

2 years ago

How do I edit my site with the new builder ?  Please do not tell me that there is no upgrade tool and I have to completely rebuild my site from scratch ??

1.3K Messages

• 

13.5K Points

@stephen7648​ The programs are not compatible. As you suspected, you'll need to rebuild your site if you want to use the new websitebuilder.

8 Messages

• 

130 Points

Hmmmm...  Not very nice, how costly could it possibly be to commission an upgrade tool ?  Great way to drive customers away.  :(

8 Messages

• 

130 Points

But thanks for the reply to let me know...  ;)

1.3K Messages

• 

13.5K Points

@stephen7648​ You know the cost of not upgrading. The upgrade will make you a ton of money by improving your visibility and usability. Websites are the cheapest form of advertising. If you don't want to build it yourself, Homestead has engineers on board that will happily work for you for a fee.

8 Messages

• 

130 Points

If I have to rebuild from scratch, why not move to a more customer friendly provider ?   Does Shopify do this to their clients?  Think about it, the cost to commission an upgrade tool is virtually zero, when spread out over thousands of happily upgraded customers...  Why not take a few minutes, engage an independent programmer to write some custom code, and save each of us  days of labor ?  Makes NO sense...  And frankly, is disrespectful <Grrrrrr>