homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, July 30th, 2018 10:01 PM

Why Should I Change to Homestead WebsiteBuilder?

Why Should I Change to Homestead WebsiteBuilder?

If you weren't already aware, Homestead has a new editor, Homestead WebsiteBuilder!

The newest editor has some great features that our customers have been requesting for some time. We strongly encourage all customers still using Sitebuilder desktop or Sitebuilder Plus(online) to create a new site from your website's manager page and take a look. This process will not interfere with your current site so there is no need to rush it. Just select any template you like and get started. Utilizing WebsiteBuilder is a way to modernize your website and keep it competitive with others in your industry. It will provide many benefits all around, below is a list of just some of the new features you can use on your site. 

• Amazing new templates that are more modern in design. Providing your viewer with aesthetically pleasing content to browse. 

• WebsiteBuilder is responsive. Meaning, no matter what size monitor or screen someone views your site on, the content and page will conform to fit their screen. Whether they use a desktop, laptop, phone, or tablet they get the best experience on your site.

• Automatically creates a mobile-friendly site, complete with a built-in mobile site editor. A large number of people are browsing the internet from a mobile device. Recent studies show about 56% of online activity was recorded from a mobile device. So, not having a mobile-friendly version of your site may cause you to miss out on all those potential customers.

• Modern and updated photo gallery, with many available options including transitions for a slideshow effect. Millions of professional stock images to browse through and utilize. 

• A huge feature our customers were requesting, Dropdown menus! Allows you to create subpages under one parent page or category.

• Save history at your fingertips-no need to call Homestead to revert to any save point in your site history. 

• Optional: eCommerce upgrade ($9.99). New and improved, which makes it easy to add products and sell through our online shopping cart. 
    Check out an example store herehttps://www.homesteadcommunitytest.com/store

• Free and automatic SSL or security layer for your site. This is displayed as the padlock in the top address bar.   It ensures the visitor to your site that you have a safe and secure website. Giving them peace of mind that any personal information or online payments will not be compromised or used maliciously. As security is becoming more of a requirement by Google and other search engines this feature is essential!

• Faster load time for bigger websites with cloud-based servers. 

Give it a try! Create a new site today and enjoy all the new features!

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

6 years ago

Websitebuilder is responsive, usable on mobile etc.

11 Messages

• 

722 Points

How do I get to the mobile version?

23 Messages

• 

682 Points

I had trouble finding it too at first. It is on top black bar in the middle. There is a computer icon and then the phone icon for mobile.

11 Messages

• 

722 Points

OMG!  This is the most wonderful thing I have seen! Thank you!!!!

89 Messages

• 

2.9K Points

I know, exciting huh? It might take time to learn how to navigate the mobile version. Just keep in mind that whatever placement changes you make on the mobile version do not change the desktop version. That was the thing that had me confused at first. 
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

I recently created an article that should help learning how to use the mobile builder:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/editing-the-mobile-site-website-builder

408 Messages

• 

10.7K Points

6 years ago

Because it is ultimately easier to use, it's set for mobile (which is very important), it functions well and looks really nice.  I have built several of them and I like it!

89 Messages

• 

2.9K Points

6 years ago

I used Sitebuilder Plus for umpteen years and avoided Websitebuilder as I didn't want to deal with relearning the "how to's". I took the plunge and never looked back. It has so many more features and is super easy to use. The one huge plus for me was that it offered drop down menus. It also offers up to date templates and I love the mobile phone option. Super happy.

11 Messages

• 

722 Points

There are a lot of features of the new Websitebuilder that I really like.  It is web-based rather than you having to download it to your computer, the header and footer feature, the ease of adding pages, links, etc.  It just feels more streamlined and more professional.

39 Messages

• 

1.7K Points

6 years ago

I have been resisting the change as well but I think I am ready. Big question for me is will I be able to "clone" the site for my multiple locations like I was originally able to do on Sitebuilder?

408 Messages

• 

10.7K Points

6 years ago

It is my understanding that you can't just duplicate the sites.  You will have to download the files for your locations and then re-upload them into the new sites.  That is a downside for sure, but I will tell you from personal experience, that once you get the hang of the new tools, it's all actually easier, looks better and is mobile friendly (you can even tweak the mobile site from within the editor and it leaves the desktop version alone!)  While rebuilding multiple sites may seem daunting at first, the Website Builder is so easy to use it doesn't take long to build new sites.  I have been knocking some out within a day or two.  Take the leap!  Best of luck!
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Thank you for your response, Lynn1286. You are very correct that you cannot duplicate sites, but it once you have one built, duplicating is should not be very difficult. Text can be copied and pasted and you would just have to upload your pictures again. You can bulk upload, so if you have all pictures for your site in one folder on your computer, that might make it easier for you.

104 Messages

• 

4.4K Points

6 years ago

If I read the email I got this morning correctly, migrating to website builder will make my site secure and I will not have to go through cloudfare. Is that correct? Thank you
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hey there Nora
Yes, if you build your site with Website Builder, we are going to be offering a free automatic SSL to those sites. It is not something available today, but very very soon.

104 Messages

• 

4.4K Points

Got it. You can ignore my other question

104 Messages

• 

4.4K Points

So, I can do it through website builder and just wait, yes?
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Yes! You will not have to wait long, but yes. We will let you know when that is available and if there is anything else that needs to be done. At most, we'll just have to refresh your DNS.

6 Messages

• 

180 Points

Has this change been implemented as of 11/15 18? I am building a site now and must have it SSL.

23 Messages

• 

682 Points

6 years ago

I just finally got the hang of making a site in sitebuilder and it has amazing features. I will be designing sites for people but they certainly will look better to their clients with a mobile design so I was worried about using homestead even though I think it has been great for me. I tried wordpress (yuck), sitey (not the same and annoying mobile version), wix and weebly (just not good in general)..and I just stumbled upon the new sitebuilder when I needed to make a little sample site for myself. It took 3 days to get used to the builder and there are a couple of things I miss from the old one but it will be great moving forwards. Here is what I like:
-It is has dotted lines that appear when you moved things to help you keep things well aligned without having go pixel by pixel
-the forms are better
-MOBILE FRIENDLY is great once you get hang of it
-favicon
-google analytic
-embed video
-embed webpage (never even new this was possible anywhere)
-docking (auto right or auto left for example)
-transparency effects
-put documents on website to be downloaded
-better metatag window you can expand
-secure site version
-you can move sections up or down easily and give each one a different background if you want too
...and so much more!

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

Excellent!

3 Messages

• 

174 Points

hi are you available to assist me with my website design?

3 Messages

• 

174 Points

@michelle5724​ hi are you available to assist me with my website design?

7 Messages

• 

416 Points

6 years ago

I already have a dudamobile site, will this affect that or can I just not set up the mobile portion?
Also, I am seeing our address would be homesteadcloud.com.   Does that change or can I change it to our current website once its built without the homesteadcloud.com.?
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello Lisa0305

The Website Builder site would replace your dudamobile site, which ultimately would be a good thing. Dudamobile doesn't offer true mobile responsive sites, just mobile friendly. This is not as good for search results. Also, Dudamobile redirects to m.yourdomain.com  which affects your site stats. Finally, Website Builder creates a better looking site.

Also, yes the .homesteadcloud.com is just a site name until you get a domain attached to it.

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

Tthe new version of sitebuilder and the software operates in the cloud. No need to load the SB+ program on your cpu. The new Websitebuilder is a "Responsive Design" and enable mobile friendly sites to be built with new features like Drop Down Menus. As usual, there are many advantages to using new software. The world is changing and leaving the old sitebuilder behind. You can do some form customization in Websitebuilder, but currently all the options that Sitebuilder Plus has are not there. Drop down menus are only available in Websitebuilder.

24 Messages

• 

528 Points

5 years ago

I already have a domain name on my desktop site. I just want this site to be mobile. I don't know how to get started! I do not want to make another site, tooooo much work. Why should I not just go to someplace like icompendium if I have to redo my site and then edit mobile site separately???

1 Message

• 

110 Points

5 years ago

I tried to create a mobile friendly version of my current site but the name is too long. How do I keep the same website? Currently using www.sassymamasdelectablecupcakes.com for full website. Any help would be appreciated. 
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

You can definitely choose a shorter domain name to attach to your same website.

51 Messages

• 

1.7K Points

5 years ago

Where can I see the site stats for Website Builder?

Thank you
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello,

For WebsiteBuilder, you need to log into the builder. On the left panel, you'll see "Stats"

2 Messages

• 

122 Points

5 years ago

I recently changed my domain from being pointed to being registered by Tucows/Homestead. My site is not showing as secure. Is there anything I need to do to make this happen? www.m5pba.com
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Yes, I will get it pointed to the secure server for you. Please allow a little bit of time to show secured.
If you are curious, I am using the settings here for future reference. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/websitebuilder-ssl-cnvdqnt2aqgpr

2 Messages

• 

122 Points

Thank you Michelle. Working for mobile site and I assume given a little more time my desktop site will be ready as well.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

You are welcome, I see both working now. 

13 Messages

• 

280 Points

5 years ago

Hi.  I want to rebuild my site using Websitebuilder.  I see posts that say I can do this without affecting my current site - but I get a message telling me I have to upgrade my account.  Ultimately, I don't want to run both sites - so do I need an upgrade?  Do I have to delete my current site before I can start making the new one?  If I do that, will I lose my domain name?

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

You can build the new site while running the old site. You can keep them both or drop the old one once your new site is ready.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Keith,

I see there was a free site added to the account in order to try WebsiteBuilder. To access this site in the new software, go to websites manager and select the site name valderosa2.homesteadcloud.com and select choose design to get started. 
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Doing this will not delete your domain nor will it interfere with your current site. 

13 Messages

• 

280 Points

Thanks for that!
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

No problem. 

3 Messages

• 

202 Points

5 years ago

How do I change over to Homestead Websitebuilder?

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

5 years ago

Does the new Website Builder allow me to easily add a password to protected pages? I have a website for a homeowners' association and want certain pages to only be accessible to homeowners. Also, can they create their own logins and passwords for those pages? Thanks!
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Lou,

WebsiteBuilder does allow you to set up password protected pages. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/websitebuilder-password-protected-pages However, it will be one password only, there is not a way to set up individual log in credentials. 

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

Thank you. I will probably give it a try.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

No problem. Have a great day.