homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, July 30th, 2018 10:01 PM

Why Should I Change to Homestead WebsiteBuilder?

Why Should I Change to Homestead WebsiteBuilder?

If you weren't already aware, Homestead has a new editor, Homestead WebsiteBuilder!

The newest editor has some great features that our customers have been requesting for some time. We strongly encourage all customers still using Sitebuilder desktop or Sitebuilder Plus(online) to create a new site from your website's manager page and take a look. This process will not interfere with your current site so there is no need to rush it. Just select any template you like and get started. Utilizing WebsiteBuilder is a way to modernize your website and keep it competitive with others in your industry. It will provide many benefits all around, below is a list of just some of the new features you can use on your site. 

• Amazing new templates that are more modern in design. Providing your viewer with aesthetically pleasing content to browse. 

• WebsiteBuilder is responsive. Meaning, no matter what size monitor or screen someone views your site on, the content and page will conform to fit their screen. Whether they use a desktop, laptop, phone, or tablet they get the best experience on your site.

• Automatically creates a mobile-friendly site, complete with a built-in mobile site editor. A large number of people are browsing the internet from a mobile device. Recent studies show about 56% of online activity was recorded from a mobile device. So, not having a mobile-friendly version of your site may cause you to miss out on all those potential customers.

• Modern and updated photo gallery, with many available options including transitions for a slideshow effect. Millions of professional stock images to browse through and utilize. 

• A huge feature our customers were requesting, Dropdown menus! Allows you to create subpages under one parent page or category.

• Save history at your fingertips-no need to call Homestead to revert to any save point in your site history. 

• Optional: eCommerce upgrade ($9.99). New and improved, which makes it easy to add products and sell through our online shopping cart. 
    Check out an example store herehttps://www.homesteadcommunitytest.com/store

• Free and automatic SSL or security layer for your site. This is displayed as the padlock in the top address bar.   It ensures the visitor to your site that you have a safe and secure website. Giving them peace of mind that any personal information or online payments will not be compromised or used maliciously. As security is becoming more of a requirement by Google and other search engines this feature is essential!

• Faster load time for bigger websites with cloud-based servers. 

Give it a try! Create a new site today and enjoy all the new features!

2 Messages

• 

140 Points

5 years ago

I CAN'T FIND IT.... WHERE IS THIS NEW SITE-BUILDER????????
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Mark,

To get access to the new builder, you will first need to add a new site to your account. This new site will be placed in the new WebsiteBuilder software. All the website builder sites will have the .homesteadcloud.com extension, this is how you can differentiate which sites are in the new builder. 

6 Messages

• 

214 Points

5 years ago

I'm sure the new site builder is great but I have a large website that I spent a LOT of time making and I have zero desire to do it over.  I don't have TIME to do it all over even if I wanted to.  Does this mean my site will become obsolete after I have spent all that money over the years?  Why couldn't the new sitebuilder have been made so you could import the old site? I already had to do it over once when I moved to Homestead.

89 Messages

• 

2.9K Points

5 years ago

Hi Jamie,
I felt exactly the same as you do. I grumbled and swore when I realised I had to leave my old site builder and use Web Builder. I have to say it was one of the best things I ever did. My website looks fantastic. www.kwaya.org It now feels like I have entered the 21st century.It didn't take that much time to change. I kept my sitebuilder site active whilst I built the new one. You can take however long you want. I could copy and paste any text from my old site to my new site. It was a good opportunity to really go over what I wanted to keep and throw out. Once you have your new site ready you just point your domain name to the new site. I found it simple.Web Builder is very intuitive and I was thrilled that my audience could now view my site in a more professional format on mobile phones. Site Builder looked awful when viewed on mobile phones.Anyway, I urge you to give it a go. Once done I think you will be thrilled with the result. If you do, I'd love to hear how it turns out.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

5 years ago

Hello Jamie,

Your current site will remain up and running and will still be supported, however, it does not have a mobile friendly aspect and you are missing out on other benefits of the new builder. I definitely understand this may take some time as there is always a learning curve when using new software. However, as Marsha mentioned, you can copy and paste the text which makes moving that content over easier and we have created helpful support videos to help get you familiar with the new builder. https://www.youtube.com/user/homesteadwebsites Unfortunately, the two software are completely separate and does not have the ability move content over with a click of a button so it will require some foot work. We are also here to help assist and answer any questions you may have while moving over. 

Homestead is running a promotion currently that offers a carbon copy or replication of your current website into the new builder. What this entails is us moving your current content from the old software to the new builder exactly as is. The pricing is currently $150 per every 5 pages. We can either get the first 5 pages moved over to get you started and you can continue from there or if you would like us to move more that 5 pages we can do that also. If you are interested in this replication offer, which will save you a lot of time, we can get you signed up and start the process which will take 3-5 business days to complete. Please let me know if you are interested in this service. If not we can definitely help you with any questions you may have during the rebuild. 

37 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

4 years ago

It says here, "Free and automatic SSL or security layer for your site." Well, this is not working and I am using Websitebuilder but it still shows up not secure... What am I doing wrong.

1 Message

• 

120 Points

4 years ago

How do we transfer our current domain name to the new website built through Homestead Website Builder? 

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

To connect the domain to the new website you built go to the domain and select change site association. Then connect the domain to the new site name. Here are instructions on doing so. https://community.homestead.com/conversations/account-billing/how-can-i-switch-my-domain-to-a-new-site-i-built/5f2a9a84581809588449007a

2 Messages

• 

80 Points

4 years ago

If I use Website Builder, does that change my subscription program that I have had for over a decade?

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Using WebsiteBuilder will not change your current package or pricing. It is already included in all packages you just need to add a new site to access WebsiteBuilder. 
https://community.homestead.com/conversations/websitebuilder/account-create-a-new-site/5f2a9ae7581809588454a628

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

4 years ago

How to get  to my  mobile friendly site I need to correct something on it asap

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

The mobile version of the website is hosted through Duda mobile. You will need to log in there to make any updates. https://www.duda.co/

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

4 years ago

I'm getting an Error when I select on a number of the templates for a new website creator...

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

What website are you selecting the template for when you get his error? 

5 Messages

• 

260 Points

4 years ago

I have video that I don't want to post to outside sources. (vimeo or youtube) and don't see the option in websitebuilder. Can video still be played directly to the site as sitebuilder did?

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

With WebsiteBuilder videos will need to be added using a Youtube or Vimeo link to display on the site. Unfortunately, there is not an option to upload the raw video file directly onto the site. 

8 Messages

• 

210 Points

4 years ago

I TRIED TO USE THIS NEW WEBSITE BUILDER, BUT I GET ERROR MESSAGES:

STEP 1:
      Choose a design to start your website.

WHEN I DID I GET: 

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Apologies for any inconvenience, I can help. I see there is a site published. I can create a ticket to get this content connected to the websites manager tab. 

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

The site is now accessible for editing. 

8 Messages

• 

210 Points

thanks Michelle, I'll check it out. Happy Holidays.

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Great, please let me know if you still see any issues with it, and thanks, happy holidays!

8 Messages

• 

210 Points

I don't seem to be able to choose a different layout other the the first one....

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

3 years ago

If I switch over to the new Website Builder will my existing website for Homestead automatically convert over or do I have to recreate a new  website?

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Unfortunately, these are two completely different softwares and it will need to be manually rebuilt in WebsiteBuilder.  

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

Hi,

When I transfer my website to Website builder from Sitebuilder, will all my emails transfer automatically, will I not lose them plse?

Jeremy

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello, 

Your emails will be unaffected by the switch. 

21 Messages

• 

554 Points

2 years ago

Sounds great but I want to keep by current address. It is published in numerous places and cannot just make a new web page.  Any ideas?

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

You can build a site in the newer editor and then associate your domain name to that site to use the same one. 

21 Messages

• 

554 Points

So, we are clear.

I would create another web site with a brand-new URL www.xyz.com.  Copy and paste from my current site and then somehow link it back to my current URL.

Seems like Homestead missed the point here.  Why not upgrade your initial software so I don't have too "associate it" with my domain name but rather use it and edit?

Very disappointed customer.

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

No, you would create a site with a temporary site name "xyz.homesteadcloud.com". Once you're done building it, you switch your domain to point to this site, which takes the place of that site name. This is how it always works because it allows the site to be built in the background while the domain is still attached to the older site. Minimizes downtime. 

21 Messages

• 

554 Points

Almost clear. Sorry

I build a site with another name. This site will eventually become my current domain name.

Once I have the new site working, I delete the old site, so it no longer exists, and I change the name and publish to my current URL which was recently deleted.

??

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Yeah, once the new site is built, you will move your domain over to it. Then, the old site will be only functional with the site name that was created in 2010 when you first created the site. At that point, you can choose to delete the old site. 

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

2 years ago

Where are the templates to chose from? I clicked add new website, says I a, upgraded, but there are no templates.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

2 years ago

I am using the Brave browser and the website builder sample site does not work? Is there something wrong with the browser or is there something wrong with the link?