homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Tuesday, October 16th, 2012 9:22 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Sitemap

Sitebuilder Plus: Sitemap
Here are some instructions to create and add a sitemap to your website.

1. Go to http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/.

2. Scroll to the bottom and enter your domain name at the Starting URL section.

3. Click the Start Button (don't worry about the information between your domain and the start button).

4. After the website refreshes, you'll get a message that your sitemap is ready. Click the 1st link under the Download Sitemap section.

5. Save the xml file to your desktop.

6. Go back to or sign in to your website account.

7. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

8. Click your domain name or sitename at the top and select View File Manager from the drop-down menu.

9. At the top, click Import and upload the sitemap.xml file that you saved to your computer.

10. In the file manager, find the sitemap.xml file. Right click on the file, then select Publish.

Note:
To help get your website indexed faster, we recommend that you setup Google Webmaster Tools. This is a free software that Google offer and gives great insight into your website's visibility online. You can also upload your sitemap into their tool to keep track on how many of your pages have been indexed.

1 Message

• 

152 Points

11 years ago

Hi I have been having real problems trying to get the sitemap correct. Google keeps saying there is a problem. Either it's not in my footer or files and They keep getting a 404 response Page not found? I have been working on this site for a couple of months now and could really use someones help. I put the Sitemap in my files I have seen it as well as published it but still not working. It's New Years Eve and I really want to start the year off right. Please help.
Thanks Danielle. My website: www.tgcrg.com

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Placing sitemap in footer and files.

3 Messages

• 

184 Points

Same problem for me as well

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You're sitemap file shows as unpublished. Go to the file manager and publish it.

122 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

11 years ago

Great document and instructions. Was able to create the file and upload to Google without issue...unfortunately 'sensitive' Bing is still showing 'Pending'.

120 Messages

• 

40K Points

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the feedback, glad this post was helpful to you.

Ehsan

1 Message

• 

112 Points

11 years ago

i have a xml sitemap that i need to upload to the domain root folder of my site. how do i do that

how to upload a xml sitemap.

120 Messages

• 

40K Points

Hi frogues4195,

Welcome to the community!

Since you already created a site map, you can follow the instructions above to import the file to your root folder.

The root folder is the top level folder (generally your site name).

Hope this helps, thanks!

Ehsan

14 Messages

• 

502 Points

11 years ago

Stite map, does anyone know how to generate a site map, i have noticed that people are searching in categories that i havent had for a long time. I want to be sure that the old site map has been deleted and a new one has indeed been generated. It seems like the old site map keeps being submitted to google with some new additions. I want to delete the old and be sure that the new one is correct.

Generating a new updated site map.

120 Messages

• 

40K Points

Hi Russell5785,

Deleting the old site map and adding a new one should resolve the issue. Search results do take a bit of time to update and don't change instantaneously.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Ehsan

2 Messages

• 

140 Points

Hi Ehsan, I have generated a sitemap using the instructions above and downloaded them into my files but keep getting 404 error on google webmaster about protocol. My web site is www.unitedstatessecurity.net I have been trying to copy and paste the code into the submit test sitemap on google webmasters tool and keep getting the same error, Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong

1 Message

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

Now that intuit forced me to update to sitebuilder plus, Im getting emails from bing saying I need to update my sitemap. How do I do that with the new sitebuilder plus?

Add a sitemap with sitebuilder plus.

80 Messages

• 

15.4K Points

Hi Nicholas -

The steps above should help! If not, please let us know!

-Aubrey

4 Messages

• 

200 Points

11 years ago

Completed these steps over and over. Google webmaster tools says "General HTTP error: 404 not found HTTP Error: 404" xml site maps says "Page Not Found
We apologize for the inconvenience. The page you have requested does not exist or has been moved. Please check to make sure that the URL you entered is accurate." Called support and no help. Everyday I regret using Intuit/Homestead for this site. -KH

4 Messages

• 

168 Points

11 years ago

where do I insert my site's robots.txt file to get the sitemap indexation report? and where do I insert the sitemap file as I have already gernerated it.

What is a reboots text file? and how do I insert a site map in it?.

120 Messages

• 

40K Points

Hi beach9745,

Our sites have a robot.txt file in place, they do not prevent search engines from viewing your site - You cannot add or edit a Robot.txt file.

You can use the instructions above for help with adding a sitemap to your website.

The robot.txt file essentially tells search engines bots what yo view or not view on your site, here's more detailed information on them: Robots.txt.

Hope this info helps, thanks!

Ehsan

130 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

link doesn't work

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

I have some generated sitemaps and I'd like to load them in to my domains public html directory. How can I do this? Thanks in advance! ;-)

how do i upload a sitemap?.

3 Messages

• 

922 Points

Hello Mike2817,

I thought you would find the directions on uploading a sitemap in this thread to be helpful.

Looking at your site, it looks like you added an HTML element to the page instead of creating an HTML file. What you will want to do is make sure that you take your HTML code and create a file (usually you are just pasting the code into notepad and saving it as the correct file type, but this can vary depending on what program you used to generate the HTML). Just keep in mind that you will end up with .xml file that you will want to upload and publish in the file manager.

If you have any additional questions feel free to ask.

Sincerely,
Mindy G

3 Messages

• 

216 Points

11 years ago

I had the same problem: Sitemap not working !!
The answer is not here so I'll tell you :
After you follow the instructions above, you must right click the sitemap file, and then hit "PUBLISH". This is very important !
Normally it should be working !

1 Message

• 

110 Points

11 years ago

OK, looks easy enough however, I have over 1000 pages. The solution you offer only gives me up to 500 pages. I bought the paid version that supports unlimited pages but, homestead doesn't offer a FTP folder to put it in. How do I get this to work?

Please help!

Ivan Ontiveros

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

I don't know of any automated tools that will do more than this. You may have to create the xml file manually, unless you can find another 3rd party tool.

You can use the file manager screen in SiteBuilder to import large quantities of files. You can simple create the folders you need, then drag and drop the files you wish. http://www.homesteadcommunityhelp.com...

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

does Homestead to provide a site map?.

49 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

10 years ago

How do I build a site map.

Bing requests a site map ? how does one do this??

149 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

10 years ago

How often should you submit a site map to google.

I just added a new page to my site.  Do I need to resubmit a new site map to google?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi David2953... For SiteBuilder, this thread is a good reference for creating the actual sitemap as well as uploading it to the File Manager. If you already have your sitemap created, just jump to step # 11. 

Mike

5 Messages

• 

262 Points

10 years ago

Hello Mike F.  I have created many sitemaps using XML Sitemap Generator.  I recently tried to update one and the generator and other generators can only find one page now.  Could you tell me if there is something wrong on your end.  As I can no longer create a new Site map for the website:  www.dollshavens.com

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Hi Nicholas6170,

You might get a better answer from the site generating the sitemap, but I did notice that you placed the Google site verification on each page.  Typically that is not necessary.  I can't see how that would affect this, but you could try removing it.  Which page is the sitemap seeing?  Are there errors?

Thanks

Drew

9 Messages

• 

302 Points

9 years ago

We received an email from Google saying there was a problem with Googlebot trying to crawl our website.  It referenced an issue with projectplaylist.com but we have no connections to that company.  I spoke with your tech support who said the problem was due to bad links in my homemade site map an directed to these instructions. 

I followed these instructions to create a new Site Map for www.patriciahuttongalleries.com but it didn't work for me.  I downloaded the xml file created at xml-sitemaps.com to my computer and then imported that file into the Homestead file manager.  It was listed as a 'file' rather than a webpage. (I then clicked 'view' on the separate html file that was created and got a plain looking list of all of our pages).  When I opened the xml file, I also got a list but it included what I believe is html code.)  Per these instructions, I published that site map. Is your goal that we create a site map that is used only by search engines and is not linked on our site? If so, how would I create a linked site map that uses a template similar to the rest of our site?

Another issue is after I edit a page and save it and then publish it I get a question asking if I want to see the page after it's published.  After that I get a window that asks if I want to post the new page on a variety of social media web sites.  It also shows a link to our website but without the www and does not work.  I thought our site could be accessed by typing either with www or without www URL but now only the www version works.  What went wrong?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Patricia5080,

Looks like you got the site map up just fine. The other issue requires a DNS change at your domain host. Please create a private conversation and I can provide you the new records

9 Messages

• 

302 Points

Drew,

Thank you for your reply.  I went to https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how-do-i-create-a-private-conversation but could not find a way to make my reply private.  Do I need to start a new thread to make my next post private?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You need to create a private conversation, then it will be only you and I that see it.

9 Messages

• 

302 Points

Understood, but I do not see a way to make this thread private.  Should I start a new thread?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You are not able to make an existing thread private. You must create a new one and start it as private. There are 24 people involved in this topic and they would all be part of it.