homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, February 26th, 2018 10:46 PM

Can I Secure My Homestead Website With HTTPS?

Can I Secure My Homestead Website With HTTPS?
For SITEBUILDER PLUS ONLY. Do not use if you have Website Builder.

If you have a Simplestore using Sitebuilder Plus, DO NOT PROCEED WITH THIS PROCEDURE.
For more information please read this topic
:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/cloudflare-common-cloudflare-issues

Important: When we update the nameservers, it is possible to see some interruption with the website and email as the settings propagate. This is to be expected, but if it has been more than 24 hours, please contact support and we can assist.

*click on images to enlarge*

This topic addresses displaying a "secure" rating in the address bar. Currently your site shows an information icon to the left of your URL. If you click it, the message will say the site is not secure.

If you have a contact form this is important. As soon as you begin filling in a field in the form, the browser will display a more obvious message in the address bar.

To secure your site you will need to update your nameservers using Cloudflare. Below are detailed instructions on correctly configuring this so your website will be secure and your customers will feel more confident providing you their contact information.

1) Go to http://www.cloudflare.com and click on the sign up link.

2) Please enter your email address and password you wish to use for your Cloudflare account. If possible, please do not use an email address connected to your domain.
We strongly recommend you read the term and conditions. To continue you must agree to the terms and conditions by clicking on create account.

3) Enter your domain name and click on Add site

4) Select the FREE plan and click Confirm Plan.

5) Cloud flare will scan your current DNS settings and automatically populate the found DNS records. When the scan is complete, and you see all records present, click continue .

6) Compare the DNS records Cloudflare scanned to your existing DNS records. These can be found in your Homestead account, under Domains > Advanced DNS settings. They should match. If they do, click Continue.

If they don't, you can click on the name or value inside of Cloudflare that is incorrect and edit it. If you need help viewing your current DNS records, please see our topic, How can I view and edit my DNS records using Homestead nameservers.

NOTE: Please make sure to verify that the MX record has been added inside of CloudFlare's DNS settings. If you do not see a record with MX next to it, then we will need to add the MX record.

Click MX in the drop down, then click Name and type @, then Click to configure just right of that box. It will open a new window, please confirm your MX record.
If you are using email with Homestead, for server you will add mx.YOURDOMAIN.com, and for Priority you can put 10. Click save, then click Add Record.

7) Cloudflare will now provide you the new nameservers for your domain. If you do not see your nameservers, proceed to the DNS page inside of Cloudflare, and scroll down until you see Cloudflare Nameservers.

Important: When we update the nameservers, it is possible to see some interruption with the website and email as the settings propagate. This is to be expected, but if it has been more than 24 hours, please contact support and we can assist.

8) Log into your Homestead account and click the domains tab on the left. Under the domain you are working on, click Edit your nameservers. You will need to click delete next to ns3.mdnsservice.com and then change the other 2 nameservers to the ones provided by Cloudflare. You can't change and delete in the same step, so you will need to click edit twice. Click Submit

9) Return to Cloudflare and click done check nameservers.

10) The first part is now completed. Now, please review and confirm that the SSL is set to Flexible and always use HTTPS is turned on. 

11) Over the next 24 hours, try manually typing in your site with https. If it isn't set up yet, you'll get an error page. Just type https://www.yourdomain.com  and when you see your site load with HTTPS, please proceed to the next step.

NOTE: Do not proceed to the next step until you can view your website when using HTTPS (https://www.yourdomain.com) When you see your site load with HTTPS, continue to step #12.

12) Click on the SSL/TLS button at the top and select Edge Certificates. 

13) Scroll down on this page and look for the section entitled "Always use HTTPS" Turn it on. Also scroll to the bottom and find "Automatic HTTPS Rewrites" Turn it on. All other settings you can leave as default.

In a few minutes, your site will show secure.

If your site is not showing fully secure, please go republish your site.

Note: This solution is for Sitebuilder Plus sites only.

22 Messages

• 

644 Points

6 years ago

Need some assistance.  It's been well over 24 hours and sites still showing not secure.  Set up 4 sites (spindys.com   /   coatesvilleindiana.org    /   coatesvilleumc.org   /   pla8ted.net).  Know I must have done something wrong.  I've included screenprints to help with spindys.com).  Appreciate any direction on fixing these sites to secure.  I am traveling but can access to correct any errors i may have made in the first set of steps.  Thank you.  (note: Pl8ted.net I did the changes, but never published that site, so it is not active, the other three are currently live).

Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

The only issue I can see is the A record for spindys.com should point to 108.167.135.117, please update that and it should work. The same would go for any other site with those same A records.

48 Messages

• 

1.7K Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SSL.

I've got the same problem and I am not going in and redo all of my pages. I don't have as many as Keith but it is a pain in the butt to redo them.  I don't understand it anyway.   I did some changes yesterday and have the orange cloud but then I get this message:

Please ensure your website is using the nameservers provided:

• alex.ns.cloudflare.com
  • beth.ns.cloudflare.com
Have no idea what it means

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: I gotta a feeling this "https" and "Cloudflare" won't apply to my sites......
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

The instructions for how to edit nameservers and complete the rest of the instructions are outlined in this article.

48 Messages

• 

1.7K Points

I've read the article and everything was fine until today.  This cloudflare thing just says to wait and still have no idea what else I'm supposed to do ( just like some others saying DNS server changes pending or something like that.  If this means having to redo everything then I guess I will be discontinuing my homestead.  I'm 65 yrs. old and do not comprehend all this information.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Typically, after you finish the first part, (check the DNS, edit nameservers, and set to flexible), you need to wait up to 24 hours to see it showing https and continue.

48 Messages

• 

1.7K Points

I've gone thru all the examples and I can't get past where it has this:

Please ensure your website is using the nameservers provided:

• alex.ns.cloudflare.com
  • beth.ns.cloudflare.com

Allow up to 24 hours for this change to be processed. There will be no downtime when you switch your name servers. Traffic will gracefully roll from your old name servers to the new name servers without interruption. Your site will remain available throughout the switch.

It may take up to 24 hours after successfully changing name servers for a new SSL certificate pack to be issued for your site. If you need valid SSL certificates in place before sending traffic through Cloudflare, pause Cloudflare for your site by clicking on Advanced to the right and resume when your certificate pack has been issued.

Domain Summary
Security Level: Medium                                
SSL: Full

Zone ID:
4903ad9b5a9e8ad27b17cb38637c9769

Caching Level: Standard                            Get your API key
Development Mode: Disabled                    API documentation

Sorry but I don't know how to do a screen print.

I have no idea what or where to put the two things above (alex & beth) and what I'm supposed to put beside them.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

You just need to follow the instructions in this article. What you are looking for are the instructions on step 8:

8) Log into your Homestead account and click the domains tab on the left. Under the domain you are working on, click Edit your nameservers. You will need to click delete next to ns3.mdnsservice.com and then change the other 2 nameservers to the ones provided by Cloudflare. You can't change and delete in the same step, so you will need to click edit twice.

31 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

6 years ago

I made my DNS server changes more than 48 hours ago and my site is still showing as "not secure"

Please advise.  www.capitalguitarsonline.com

Thanks.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hey Charles6535
 Did you go through step 6 and make sure that all DNS was in there? Can you post a screenshot of the DNS from your Cloudflare account so I can see if anything needs to be updated?

43 Messages

• 

2.8K Points

6 years ago

Yikes!  I was about to start this process for my SiteBuilder Plus website and thought it might be a good idea to first read thru all of the issues and advice regarding this process.  I'm certainly glad I did because a lot of of questions and concerns have been answered before I had to ask them.  However, I think I will put off the process until early next week as it would be just my luck to do something (and botch it) on a Friday evening and not be able to call in to the techies for support until Monday morning!  I have been there done that!

Thanks for all the guidance and support... I sure am glad I am well into rebuilding my site on WebsiteBuilder.  I was very reluctant at first as I was so used to SiteBuilder, but I am learning as I go and actually enjoying WebsiteBuilder now!

31 Messages

• 

986 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled NEED HELP with getting https to work in my website.

My english is not good enough to do the advise you mailed me. Please do it for my site.  I want it secure.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hi there Tarja8119

This article has step by step instructions with pictures to help with this set up. Just take your time and do each step and you should be fine. Let me know any specific questions you have.

31 Messages

• 

986 Points

What article? I have woken up (different time zone) for lots of posts. Hpw I am with my poor English supposed to find the help. So very sad that you cannot give me help. It is NOT possible for me to read all those mails that are coming now. and try to find the help there.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

The article that I brought your question into, if you scroll up to the original post. It has picture step by step instructions that should help you

31 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

6 years ago

Elizabeth:  I updated my website (capitalguitarsonline.com) several days ago yet the status of my site remains "Not Secure".  What am I doing wrong?

31 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

6 years ago

Elizabeth:
I updated my website (capitalguitarsonline.com) per the instructions several days ago and it's status still remains "not secure."  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hey Charles6535

It looks like you got it fixed, because your site shows as secure!

165 Messages

• 

8K Points

6 years ago

Please can you all set my http://www.customautosbytim.com back the way it was before all of this HTTPS nonsense started. I went through all of the hoops and now find out some features on my email accounts are not working. Not only that but the HTTPS did not work.

Please set it back the way it was and I will take my chances.

This is something you all should have taken care of for us....I have spent literally thousands of dollars at Homestead since 2006.

31 Messages

• 

986 Points

6 years ago

So true - Homestead technics should have taken care of this!

1 Message

• 

112 Points

6 years ago

Thank you for your posts. I am having the same problems. I called Homestead and talked to two people not willing to help me in this matter. This should not be our problem, but their problem. My daughter in law is with wix.com and never had a problem. I am going to abandoned all attempts to secure my site. I have been with Homestead for a very long time. Maybe it is time to seek another site.

31 Messages

• 

698 Points

I too have done all I can and my site is still not secure, but the folks at Homestead were very helpful getting my e-mail back up and running which was way more important.  No one was "not willing" to help.

I did the cloudflare thing three days ago and they system still doesn't say "secure" so I can't proceed to the next steps.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hey Vicki7083

Not sure who you called, but I took a look at the account and I don't see that you spoke with us. Maybe you talked to Cloudflare? If you give us a call at 800-710-1998 we would be happy to help walk you through the set up.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Stephen6243

Can you post a screenshot of the DNS page in your Cloudflare account? I want to check that nothing needs to be corrected in there.

165 Messages

• 

8K Points

6 years ago

I just figured it out on my own. There is a place to reset to default nameservers on the page we used to edit them.....hopefully my email will function properly now....stand by.

165 Messages

• 

8K Points

What a mess.....Seems like every six months or so nothing but pure chaos at Homestead.

6 Messages

• 

386 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cloudflare set up.

I changed the Nameservers to the Cloudflare servers provided on my sites DaveHutchinson.net (A Homestead Server) and CrazyAboutTravel.com (a Dotster Server)  Now, when I go to my sites I get the following This site can’t be reached
www.davehutchinson.net’s server IP address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

and on www.CrazyAboutTravel.com this...
Homestead Web Hosting  Website Tools  Home How It Works Features Design Gallery Customer Sites Free Trial   
Sorry, the page you’re looking for can’t be found.

You will be redirected to Homestead in 10 seconds.

Help, please.  I have been a Homestead customer for 20 years...have more than 1700 pages on my site... I need help!!!  Thanks!  -Dave Hutchinson- 

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Sitebuilder Plus Simplestore not working with Cloudflare configuration..
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hello Dave2696
I can see that your nameservers are updated so it is likely a DNS issue. I recommend either posting a screenshot of the DNS page from Cloudflare so I can take a look, or give us a call at 800-710-1998.

6 Messages

• 

386 Points

Is this what you are looking for Elizabeth?

Congratulations! You have successfully activated crazyabouttravel.com. Your site will now receive the benefits of Cloudflare’s performance, security and reliability features. Check out reports of bandwidth saved* and threats blocked on your account Analytics page.

Visit our Welcome Center for helpful resources for new customers. Also, check out the Cloudflare Status Page and our Blog for real time updates and news.

For common questions or to reach our Support team, visit https://support.cloudflare.com/.

Thank you,
The Cloudflare Team

For your records, this is a confirmation of your nameserver change before Cloudflare and on Cloudflare:

Before:
ns1.mdnsservice.com ns2.mdnsservice.com ns3.mdnsservice.com

Current:
jamie.ns.cloudflare.com
lars.ns.cloudflare.com

*Please allow 15 minutes for the data to populate your reports.

6 Messages

• 

386 Points

Here's what I get with my DaveHutchinson.net account:

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at http://www.davehutchinson.net/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED

Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

No, what I'm looking for it a picture of your DNS, which are your A records, CNAME, and MX records.

24 Messages

• 

528 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SSL and nameserver change.

I got an email from you to get an ssl certificate for my sites and to do that I have to update my nameservers with my domain name registrar. I registered one of my sites through Homestead and tucows. I have found where to change those nameservers on my homestead account for mingdinhhomeopathy.com under Domains/Edit your name servers. Do I just do that there, or do I have to go to tucows? I tried doing that and found that site has no password or email address for me???
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hello Elaine6841
You would only need to update the nameservers through Homestead. You will never need to contact Tucows. I did merge your question with the article with instructions for this process.

24 Messages

• 

528 Points

Thanks. done. now I wait to see if it works.

6 Messages

• 

264 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled i am being asked to change my nameserver by cloudfare. is this a joke or real?.

got email from cloudfare that my nameserver need to be changed. I s this a joke or for real?
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hello Duane5327

The email you received was probably from Homestead. We were letting you know about the importance of getting a secure site, and anyone who is on Sitebuilder Plus would need to use a service like Cloudflare to get that accomplished.
Please follow the instructions in this article if you want to set up an SSL through Cloudflare.

4 Messages

• 

182 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SSL Cloudfare process.

I got a note to use cloudfare to improve the SSL certificate. They say to change the nameservers to eva.ns.cloudfare.com and matt.ns.cloudfare.com. They routed me back to you, since tucows still has someone else there.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hey Doug2213

This post has picture step by step instructions on how to get this set up. Hope this helps!

8 Messages

• 

260 Points

Hi Elyzabeth, I have a site I built on WebSiteBuilder,  www.homeplaceapartmentsearch.com but it shows Not Secure. Aren't our sites supposed to be secure if we built them with WebSiteBuilder?
Aren't I supposed to use cloudflare for Sitebuilder Plus sites like one of mine, www.texasrealestateschoolonline.com?
Please check out both sites and advise
Thanks
Mike Stotts
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hello Mike,

Website Builder sites are eventually going to be secure automatically, it just hasn't been released yet. You can either use Cloudflare in the meantime, or you can wait for the SSLs to go through from Homestead directly. I unfortunately cannot give you an exact date that will be released, but is expected to happen soon.