homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Thursday, August 16th, 2018 3:38 PM

WebsiteBuilder: Anchor Links

WebsiteBuilder: Anchor Links
You can easily create "anchor links" in Website Builder by using Element Behaviors. 

1. Click on the element you want to have trigger the anchor link (Button or text, usually). Then click More > Advanced > Settings

2. Click "Add Behavior"

3. Click "Scroll To Element"

4. Select "Other Element" and click OK

5. Scroll down to the element you want to anchor or scroll to and select it (I used a picture of an anchor)

6. Set your Speed and Trigger preferences and click OK

**Note: this will only work with elements on the same page.
Note: You may also add elements at the bottom of each section and name it "Back to top" or similar, and link it to an element at the top of the page. 

Pro Tip: It will make it more difficult to keep track of when editing, but if for some reason you are not able to link to an element like the "header 3" and want to just go to a specific spot in the middle of a paragraph, then you can add a text box to the side of the content in the position desired and delete the default content and make the element very small. You can then link to that element. Since the empty text box is essentially invisible on the page, you do need to remember exactly where you placed it, or you could lose track

Special thanks to user Martin (mpalmi27) for finding this ability.

2 Messages

• 

172 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I can't find the "anchor" feature in Website Builder...help!.

Are anchors available in Website Builder? If so, where would I find them? I need to link text on a page to another part of the same page.
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hey c21tpmarketing7296

These are the instructions for anchor links in Website Builder, let me know if this

43 Messages

• 

2.8K Points

I was looking for the answer to a different question and came across this.  Thanks!  It worked!

Ps. Will the anchor icon be invisible when the page is published?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

No, I just used an anchor picture for an example. You would use whatever element you wanted to scroll to instead of the anchor icon (like a picture or text) . If that is not clear, I can definitely update the article. I just created it in response to this question yesterday

17 Messages

• 

402 Points

5 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how to add hyperlinks.

I want to link a button to text so when you click the button it will send you to text on the same page.
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Stephanie,

Here are the instructions for using Element Behaviors to create an anchor link like that.

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Hello,

Can you resend the instructions?

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hi there, the instructions are the article that you are commenting on. You should be able to scroll up and see them. 

3 Messages

• 

100 Points

Thank you, I thought there was another link.  Appreciative.

149 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

5 years ago

Will the feature allow you to click the element and then send you to text on a different page?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

No, this will only work on the same page.

13 Messages

• 

280 Points

That's a pity.  I had hoped to have links on the home page that could send the user on to page 1 section 2, or a different topic further down page 1 at section 3.

Am I right in thinking that the only real way to do this would be to create separate pages for each topic?
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

That would be correct. You can link elements to other pages but cannot specify what section it links to, it would just be the top of the page. If the person is already on a specific page, then you can link to a specific section on that page. 

7 Messages

• 

300 Points

5 years ago

Is there a way to do this in the old SiteBuilder?
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Yes Sitebuilder can do this also, here are the instructions. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/sitebuilder-plus-anchor-links

231 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

Is there a way to link to a specific part of a page from OUTSIDE that page.

For example, I have multiple galleries on a page.  When someone goes to the page, obviously they would have to scroll down through the galleries.  Each gallery is in its on "Section."  Is there a way to link to a specific section?

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello, 

There is no way to link to a specific section on a different page, but there is a workaround I can offer. If there is text in that section, you can go to the published site and highlight that text, and right click. One of the options will be "Copy Link to Highlight" You can add that link to that URL that is copied. Does that make sense?

231 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

@elyzabethv

Makes sense.  I tried it and it worked swimmingly.  Thanks!