How do I set up IMAP email in Outlook 2013?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Microsoft made a change in Outlook 2013 requiring that each configured IMAP account must have it's own data file(pst). These instructions are for setting up a IMAP account in Outlook 2013.

If you would like to know more about the difference between IMAP and POP, then please click here.

1)To setup your IMAP account, launch Outlook. Click on File.

2)You will need to click on Account settings, then again on the Account settings in the drop down.

3)You have a choice here. If this is a new IMAP account then select New. You will see a couple of screens not pictured with a new account. You will want to setup an email account and select IMAP or POP If you already have the account setup and are changing the settings, then highlight the appropriate account in the list and click Change

4)Enter the settings with your information as shown below. Make sure to change Account type to IMAP. Click on More settings.

5)Enter the settings as shown in the next 2 pictures.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 259,220 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of david2953

david2953

• 6,450 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
That worked thank you. I missed the inbox path under the advanced tab.
Photo of Drew N

• 259,198 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Cindy9397,

If you are trying to setup IMAP then remove the account from Outlook and set it up again, following the Outlook 2010 instructions.  Sometimes the Outlook account can become corrupted and does not work.  Removing it will give you a fresh start

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Suzanne9735

Suzanne9735

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Hi Drew,

I have just set up Outlook in Office365. This is my first time using Outlook and when I go to set up the IMAP procedure, there is no area to click on 'File' and then 'Account Settings'. The home page look is entirely different. Any suggestions? I am directly signed in to my Outlook account.

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,438 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
HI Suzanne9735,   It sounds like you might be using the Microsofts online version of outlook, instead of the downloadable Outlook. Take a look at this Microsoft support page and see if you have the options shown on their page. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Settings-for-POP-and-IMAP-access-for-Office-365-for-busines...
Photo of Suzanne9735

Suzanne9735

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mike. This worked fine, but where are my email contacts? Should I have taken another step to move them to Outlook as well? Can you suggest how to move them now if they did not move when linking the my email with Outlook 2013?
Photo of Drew N

• 259,198 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am sorry, contacts and calendars are not shared on a standard email account. You can export contacts and then import them into Outlook. You can see how in the export topic.

Drew
Photo of kimberlyford0790714

kimberlyford0790714

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have tried setting up my email accounts in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010 using these instructions. I follow them exactly and the server is still rejecting my logins for all four of my email accounts. I've even tried disabling my anti-virus software and I am unable to add any of the four accounts that I use. I have already contacted your tech support chat folks with no resolution, searched the Internet for topics on why login credentials might be rejected using Outlook and nothing has resolved my problem. I can check each account fine using webmail but since I have four accounts I want them all in one location...Outlook. I'm Exchange certified and I still cannot find a resolution. It's not machine specific or Outlook specific, my login credentials are being rejected no matter what client I use. Any help?!?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,428 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
To be sure, it's a good idea to do another password reset. https://community.homestead.com/homes...

After you change the password, go to www.homestead.com and make sure you can log into the email account using the webmail link at the top right corner of the page.

Then you still get a message saying that your login credentials are not correct, it can be one, or a combination of the following. incorrect username (this should be the full email address), incorrect email servername, typo in password, SSL turned on instead of off, or wrong port numbers. If you are 100 % sure you have the credentials all correct, then I would recommend contacting Microsoft.

Mike
Photo of ed0742

ed0742

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
My inbox syncs fine in Outlook 2013 but the sent items folder is empty and shows none of my emails when I sent them.  Also I cannot see sent items on the Homestead webmail page.  How do I configure this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hello ed0742,  the first thing to check is that you are looking at the correct sent folder. There is a Sent Items folder and a Sent folder.

Notice in the image above, you can expand the Inbox and then you'll see another set of folders. Let us know if the emails are not in the other sent folder. Or, if you are getting any sort of sending errors let us know what those are also. Mike
(Edited)
Photo of Torrance5174

Torrance5174

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hello, I am trying to switch from POP3 to IMAP in Outlook and am only able to make to it to step 4.  When I get here POP3 is grayed out. Any help....

Another question.  Will the items in my current Outlook set up stay the same or will this all start over?  (I.e. will I have all my folders, sent items, flags, etc.)
(Edited)
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can't change the configuration from POP to IMAP so you'll actually have to delete the email accoun, then set it up new as IMAP.  This means that you'll need to back up any information in your current email folders before you delete the email account from Outlook.  When you set it up as IMAP it will sync with the folders on the server, and will not display the folders you previously had in Outlook with the POP configuration. 

Mike
Photo of Priscilla2668

Priscilla2668

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how do I connect outlook to my email.
Photo of Dennis9797

Dennis9797

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I set up incoming email on Ourlook 2016? Need to know ports and security s....

Homestead is hosting my domain Delpublications. I have set up five email accounts. I want to open Email in Microsoft Outlook 2016. When I do to set this up, it can not locate the server. When I do it manually, it is asking for settings that I do not know and encryption settings. I've used mail.delpublication.com with ports 110 and 587. I'm not certain the type of encryption required. Can someone help?
Photo of Drew N

• 259,220 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Dennis9797, I do not have screen shots for Outlook 2016, but the settings will be the same.