homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Friday, July 27th, 2018 6:18 PM

Fixing the Website Builder 404 error

Fixing the Website Builder 404 error
Some of you might come across the error that can happen with Website Builder sites. It looks like this:

If you see this, have no fear. This is an easy fix.

Step 1: Log out of Website Builder. Everywhere. This fix will not work if the builder is still open anywhere.

Step 2: Log into your Homestead account at homestead.com  and click on Websites Manager

Step 3: Choose the site that is experiencing the error from your list of sites (if you have more than one) and click "Rename"

Step 4: Click the yellow button that says "Check Availability", then click "Save"

Step 5: Go re-publish and enjoy your functional published site!

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

6 years ago

is not working for some reason. I also see a note from someone that I need to name my first page index? How do I do that? thanks
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Adielhernandez4758

I am not seeing either of your sites receiving a 404 error, what site were you having trouble with?

17 Messages

• 

412 Points

Ok I’ve read these instructions over and over and I can’t seem to get it. It says rename my site. Why on earth would I do that when no one could find me. I’ve got my website on everything so renaming is not an option. Thank a You 
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Tim, 

Renaming the site does not change the domain name but it helps reconnect the domain. I do see all the websites on the account working, what site are you having issues with? 

17 Messages

• 

412 Points

TY its Wilf Auction Service   Thank you for you help
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Thank you. That website is up and working.

9 Messages

• 

362 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled website not found.

My website www.thugwifey.com is coming back as website not found error 404

I'm not sure how long I've been missing out on clients
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Monica9535

Try following the instructions in this post if you ever encounter this error.

9 Messages

• 

362 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I don't think my website is directed to the correct domain..

I have a website www.thugwifey.com

i type it in and it shows error 404

however if I type in www.thugwifey.homesteadcloud.com its fine.

But that is not my website that I have spend hundreds of dollars advertising, I have no idea how long traffic has been stopped. I can not change it as it says that site is already directed somewhere else. However it is showing its directed to the correct site...but its not.

I think someone needs to correct it for me.  I apparently can not figure it out.

I need it fixed asap as I have already lost a few contracts and had no idea it was because they think I can't work a website.
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Monica.

Again, I recommend you follow the instructions in this post.  It would be better for you to do it on your end because I don't know when you are or are not in the builder. Following the instructions above will get this issue resolved for you.

4 Messages

• 

174 Points

Did not work
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

What did not work for you? I can help. 

9 Messages

• 

374 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Published site to a domain transferred in - not working.

I recently transferred a domain to Homestead and tried to publish a site I built to the site.  The website is not launching under the domain however email is working. However if I add homesteadclud.com to the end of the site it launches.  I don't want to have that on the back of my company site. Any way I can update? It doesn't happen on another  site/domain I started with homestead. 
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello michelledisabato4764

If you follow the instructions on this post, it will get this issue fixed for you! Let me know if you have any questions.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Pointed Domain.

I pointed my homestead website to my godaddy domain name. I have the name servers changed. But my website still does not show up. I get the 404 error. Can you please fix this?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Shawn4050
These are the instructions for fixing this issue.

11 Messages

• 

424 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Problem to associate a domain name with homestead adress help.

Hello!  I need to associate my cmoa homestead site to my new domain name: www.clubcmoaqc.com

but is not functional ??? help... Page not fund message ? and my homepage as a index name

Sorry my English is limited. Any talk in french, or if team homestead modify my account to pointing my cmoa homestead site to my new domain name.

Thanks in advance

Ray
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hi Raynald4715

The domain is associated successfully, it just has an error. Here are the instructions to fix it, in this post. Let me know if you need any other help!

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

I tried this as well and it did not work for me. Mine does not give me the option to rename... It only says "add domain" next to the site, which is already reading as linked to the domain I purchased through Homestead. I still get the 404 error and no site shows up. 

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

404 page does not count toward your page allotment.
Per Google: https://www.google.com/search?num=30&site=webhp&source=hp&q=404+error&oq=404&gs_....
"The HTTP 404 Not Found Error means that the webpage you were trying to reach could not be found on the server. It is a Client-side Error which means that either the page has been removed or moved and the URL was not changed accordingly, or that you typed in the URL incorrectly."
Generally there's no need to make any adjustment. Removing the 404 page may disable your customer to be directed to your site. 404's may be produced by page name changes.

8.13.18: 404 ERROR MESSAGE
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/fixing-the-website-builder-404-error

FIX WEBSITEBUILDER 404 ERROR
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/fixing-the-website-builder-404-error?utm_source=not...

18 Messages

• 

720 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Domain is registered but I can't find it online..

I registered my new site yesterday and have done all the activations and followed the email instructions.  Have received acknowledgement that it is registered.  I check the Homestead page and it shows up as my site as www.bfccityconcerns.org but it's still not coming up online.  I have checked with two computers and different browsers.  Am I missing something?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hey Rose

These instructions should help you get that fixed!

18 Messages

• 

720 Points

Wow!  Thank you.  That did it! :)

11 Messages

• 

232 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I can't find my website after I publish it on the internet.

After I publish my website, I go to try and find it by putting in my domain name, and it comes up as unknown
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello christinekozak4972

Please scroll up and follow the instructions in this post to resolve that issue.

9 Messages

• 

294 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled what is the Homestead.cloud add on to my URL name?.

When I published my SiteBuilder website, it told me my site was available at "the name of my site" followed by homestead.cloud.  Is this temporary?  I don't want homestead.cloud at the end of my domain name for the public to see or to find me.  Please explain and help.

Also, how long does it take for a site to publish? 

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello, please scroll up to the instructions on this post and follow those steps. This will fix this issue.

6 Messages

• 

224 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Nameservers updated with Godaddy from Homestead, still no published page, it show....

Nameservers updated with Godaddy from Homestead, still no published page, it shows error page. I can't see whether or not the homestead process has been completed or not, but the domain is fully listed in my domain section as "pointed". But still not published yet...just shows error page. For the domain www.thegumnetwork.com
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hey there Sade4354

If you scroll up, you'll find instructions to fix that error.

6 Messages

• 

224 Points

I've tried. still no success. How long does it take for the page to show up? Also, I only see "save" changes. I don't see "publish".
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Your site is working on my end.

20 Messages

• 

856 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Domain Won't Publish.

My new domain www.photo4afarmer.com has been registered and I have republished from the Site Editor but still comes up as https://photo4afarmer.homesteadcloud.com/
Please help as we need to have domain published correctly.
Thank you.

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Susan5974

If you scroll up, you'll see the instructions to fix this issue.

20 Messages

• 

856 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My new domain not showing.

Registered my new domain 2 days ago but when I publish site, it won’t show correctly.
Only homestead.cloud.
Domain is www.photo4afarmer.com
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

As I replied to the question you asked yesterday, scroll up and follow the instructions on this post to fix this issue.

12 Messages

• 

452 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled website not publishing.

I have not touched the website since it went live long ago.. Why is it no longer published?
www,affinityarizona.com
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Faunus0949

I couldn't say what changed if it was working before, then stopped. If you scroll up, you'll see the instructions to resolve this issue.

12 Messages

• 

452 Points

thats great... but i assume that is what i pay homestead for. Cant they fix it for me?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

You pay for your hosting and domain. Our job is to provide you with the resources to maintain and fix the issues that occur on your site. This is something we will provide you the instructions for to have you do yourself. It has a higher likelihood of working from your end. It is very simple, just follow the instructions above.

12 Messages

• 

504 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cannot get site to load.

I am unable to view www.CriminalCaseEvaluation.com online.  When I enter the URL, I get a generic SiteError page (not the one I created).   Can you please help?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Forest4174

Please scroll up and follow the instructions in this post to fix that 404 error.

3 Messages

• 

162 Points

5 years ago

Ive been trying for weeks and it doesnt work.
I was only able to show my work in preview mode from my phone because i tried it many times from pc, ipad, and cell in desktop mode and still doesnt work.
its says:
404 Page not found :(

This server could not prove that it is www.mr-smartkitty.homesteadcloud.com; its security certificate is from ssl918166.cloudflaressl.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

Proceed to www.mr-smartkitty.homesteadcloud.com (unsafe)

I proceed then I get this:
403 Forbidden
cloudflare

My mother highly recommended Homestead since she tried back in 1999 when it was free for some time.
She couldnt help me either and was shocked to see how much it changed.
I have this week to fix it.
I would appreciate the help.
or sadly start all over somewhere else.

Thank You for Your Time.

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

404 ERROR: 
404 page does not count toward your page allotment.
Per Google: https://www.google.com/search?num=30&site=webhp&source=hp&q=404+error&oq=404&gs_....
"The HTTP 404 Not Found Error means that the webpage you were trying to reach could not be found on the server. It is a Client-side Error which means that either the page has been removed or moved and the URL was not changed accordingly, or that you typed in the URL incorrectly."
Generally there's no need to make any adjustment. Removing the 404 page may disable your customer to be directed to your site. 404's may be produced by page name changes.
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Your domain is on client hold. You will need to follow the instructions in this article to resolve:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/extremely_important_domain_information

3 Messages

• 

162 Points

Finally, I am On another school break and it I am getting it done.
Thank You