homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 3:37 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Password Protected Pages

Sitebuilder Plus: Password Protected Pages

You can password protect pages that you don't want to be viewed by the public. Follow these steps to password protect individual pages:

1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

2. Go to the page you'd like to password-protect.

3. Click Page Settings in the top toolbar. Select Advanced Settings from the drop-down.
      Then, enter a password for the page.

4. Save and Publish the page and it will be password protected.

Warning: Search engines can't crawl any web page that is password protected. Your website may be penalized by ranking lower in search.

Sites that do not use Master Templates will always have the password field available on every page. However newer sites that were created with SiteBuilder Plus and include the Master Templates, have a feature where this can be turned on or off. If you need to set a password for a page, but don't see the option, click the "Background, Links, Footer" tab, and then you will see a button that says "Set for this page". After selecting that button, then go back to the "Advanced Settings" tab, and it will show the password field. 

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

9 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Hi, how do I make a specific page on my website password restricted?.

I have a teaching guide on my website that is for teachers only. How do I make that page password restricted. I have another website with you guys in which I did this but can't remember how I did it.

129 Messages

• 

18.9K Points

Hello arkeehodges9671,
Thank you for posting, please see the post above about how to password protect your pages.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

9 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled HOW DO I SHUT OFF PASSWORD PROTECTION.

129 Messages

• 

18.9K Points

You would delete the password from the field just like how you set it up as shown above. 

11 Messages

• 

378 Points

8 years ago

My question is how to stop automatic password protection on the first page I open. No matter if I've removed the password auto-generated then saved and published, if I quit the program and reopen it later, there's the dang password again in Advanced Settings, and if I don't catch it, no one can see my page. And no other subsequent page has that auto-generated password. 

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Which site. Does it happen every time you edit?

11 Messages

• 

378 Points

All sites, and yes, even sites I haven't touched in years. Two active, important ones are danielguitar.com and guitarorganizer.com.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Is there something in particular you do? Are you editing the home page when it happens? I tried a few things and never had a password added to the homepage.

11 Messages

• 

378 Points

Thanks for the question - it doesn't matter the page - whatever was last saved displays first. Say I've updated the Calendar on sacramentoguitarsociety.org and published and closed sitebuilder - when I open the program, select the website to edit, it happens again - the password appears in Advanced Settings. I need to clear that field and save the page to prevent pw protection. Once I do, no other page is automatically pw protected. If I don't, all other pages I switch to have protection. So once I clear the password field and save, everything's okay. But what I want is for that field to not default to protection even as I've not wanted a password and have saved and published the site that way. Thanks again.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Ok. I will do some more testing on this. We have had a few people with this issue before, but have never been able to see it happen.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

7 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is it possible to have a page be locked so only certain people can use it?.

5 Messages

• 

204 Points

6 years ago

I have tried to change password, delete password, etc. using instructions on this page and nothing works. I need help!

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I am betting that you have saved a password in Sitebuilder and it is adding it to your page when you edit. You can see how to remove that in the topic below

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/why-is-my-page-password-protected-when-i-didnt-add-...

11 Messages

• 

180 Points

3 years ago

The feature to add a password is not appearing on my online Sitebuilder screen. For a couple of decades, I have been able to add passwords. The screenshot attached illustrates the result from following the instruction for when all else fails, and as you can see, my screen does not provide a way. Thank you in advance for your help.

Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

@linda9095

You would need to turn off the option that says "Set for all your pages" and choose "Set for only this page". Then, the option for a password will become available.