homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Tuesday, October 16th, 2012 8:44 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Page Titles and Descriptions

Sitebuilder Plus: Page Titles and Descriptions
Here is how you can edit the page title and meta description on each of your pages:
  1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

2. Click Page Settings in the top toolbar. This is where you can update your Page Title (Name) and Meta Description (Page Description).

Page Name
    should contain relevant information about your business. A good reference would be to use your company name and a key phrase for your home page. An example would be:

Homestead | Build, Make & Create Your Own Website

Page Description
    is usually 1 or 2 sentences long and relevant to your business. It should include 2-3 keywords or phrases that you'd like to be found for. An example would be:

Make a Free Website or Store! Create a Website in Minutes w/ our Award-Winning Web Design Software. Build Your Own Website; Find Customers Today.

The Page Title and Page Description can contain a lot of the same keywords search engines look for.

If showing up in search engines is a goal for your website, there are a variety of other methods you can try such as SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and PPC (Pay Per Click) advertising. For more detailed information on SEO or PPC, click Add-on Services when you are logged into your account.
Brand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

12 years ago

Hi,

Here is how you can edit the page title and meta description on each of your pages:
  1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

2. Click Page Settings in the top toolbar. This is where you can update your Page Title (Name) and Meta Description (Page Description).

Page Name should contain relevant information about your business. A good reference would be to use your company name and a key phrase for your home page. An example would be:
Homestead | Build, Make & Create Your Own Website

Page Description is usually 1 or 2 sentences long and relevant to your business. It should include 2-3 keywords or phrases that you'd like to be found for. An example would be:
Make a Free Website or Store! Create a Website in Minutes w/ our Award-Winning Web Design Software. Build Your Own Website; Find Customers Today.

The Page Title and Page Description can contain a lot of the same keywords search engines look for.

If showing up in search engines is a goal for your website, there are a variety of other methods you can try such as SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and PPC (Pay Per Click) advertising. For more detailed information on SEO or PPC, click Add-on Services when you are logged into your account.

Hope that helps!

Did this answer help? If so, please mark 'good answer' below for other people to find this post. Also like us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about how to grow your business.

1 Message

• 

114 Points

what are some suggestions on key words that i might use to draw plp to my site ?? i do have a variety of products in my store .Dose what you put on have to be popular ? what if i don't sell that ? keywords in a reggae record "vinyl" store variety of 45's,Lp's,reggae Cd's,leather goods "Hats,Wallets also rasta hats & head wraps.T'Shirts Bob Marley M/F.buttons,incense,African figures ...meaning i should expand the items & the search should be easy to plp looking for products ??

1 Message

• 

110 Points

Great!!!! Thanks!

1 Message

• 

112 Points

I had not realized the importance of EITHER field, and truly thank you for having this information available here, Chris

5 Messages

• 

250 Points

It keeps sending my page description form the design template and not the one I write. I followed the directions. Messy?

1 Message

• 

110 Points

ive done that,but it doesnt show the changes when i paste my website url,for instance when i post my site on fb the changed description is not showing,it is the old one

1 Message

• 

130 Points

11 years ago

This is very useful in helping me figure what to write for the Page Name and Description. Thanks!

2 Messages

• 

170 Points

11 years ago

Where in the site builder plus can I add keywords?

59 Messages

• 

28.3K Points

Hi Joan,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately the Plus program doesn't have a section for meta keywords. The reason for this is that search engines don't use meta keywords anymore as too many people were taking advantage through black hat marketing. These days you need to add keywords into the content of your website in order for search engines to start picking up what you want to rank for.

Thanks!

Chris

2 Messages

• 

174 Points

11 years ago

I noticed that for a page with a Blog located on it. the meta tag changed to the Blogs title instead. I changed my blogs title to the sites original page name and all was fixed

8 Messages

• 

190 Points

11 years ago

can i return the software that i used before ....i liked the old software.. because it was easyly to put the,, meta tags...

59 Messages

• 

28.3K Points

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

I'd be more than happy to update your account to be able to use the desktop version of Sitebuilder. However because you built your new site using the online version, you would have to start completely over. If you are ok with that, please let me know and I'll update your account.

Thanks!

Chris

8 Messages

• 

190 Points

yes i do... can you do that for me..thank you..

59 Messages

• 

28.3K Points

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Your account has been updated.

Thanks!

Chris

7 Messages

• 

346 Points

Did you receive my last request as to how I can realign my navigation.

59 Messages

• 

28.3K Points

Hi Neil,

Unfortunately I didn't see a reply to the mis-aligned navigation. Can you please go to https://community.homestead.com/homes... and respond there so I can further investigate.

Thanks!

Chris

2 Messages

• 

170 Points

11 years ago

Thanks for the information. This is my website Candy Cakes and it seems like when we had the ability to put in Meta Tags my website ranked much higher on Google. Will we ever be able to put in meta tags or is it gone away?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

When I bookmark the harrisongospelchapel.com website in my web browser, it shows up as "Home"? Can this be changed so it shows up as the actual website name?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Website bookmarking.

1 Message

• 

112 Points

11 years ago

How do I post a website description after my website name? When someone types in my web address they see the description of the sample template I used to create my site instead of an actual description

how can i add a website description to follow my site name.

5 Messages

• 

210 Points

11 years ago

in the page description, instead of using sentences can I just use words or phrases? If so, do they have to be separated by commas or is a space sufficient? in the move to plus, you gave us so little room for descriptions.

I also don't agree about se's not using keywords. I advertise with yellow book & my rep laughed when I told him this & said it isn't true. Another site where I sell encourages using lots of keywords.

2 Messages

• 

162 Points

11 years ago

help.

when i search my website the heading says: website building software by homestead, then my web address underneath. How do I get it to only show my address and not site builder?

1 Message

• 

130 Points

11 years ago

I have never used a free sort of program like Homestead and Intuit. I've produced several high ranking websites but I know that it gets more competitive all the time. The comment that "metatags" are no longer used is not accurate (of course they are) because it is how Google reviews your meta tags to content ratio. This system doesn't allow us to control our meta tags because doing a good job of that would eliminate the need to purchase the very expensive SEO and other services that Homestead is trying to sell. If you call them they will promise you "x" number of phone calls over 6 months even without knowing a thing about your market or your region. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE. If something sounds too good to be true it is. I'm throwing my homestead site away and starting from scratch.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hello blacklabelmotoringvalet3953,

Thanks for your post. First its important to know that there a several different types of "meta" tags. Many people use the term loosely, when they are referring to the "keyword" tag which is one of the many different tags. Here's a link to Google which explains how they use meta tags, and confirms they do not use the keyword tag. http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspo...

This does not mean that Google no longer uses the Title and Description tags. In fact they are likely very important, which is why we provide simple to use fields shown in the above instructions.

Homestead does not prevent you from adding your own meta tags. In fact you may still want to do it, not for Google, but for other search engines that could perhaps still use them in their ranking algorithms.

If you wish to add your own meta tags (including a keyword tag), you can easily do so by clicking the "Page Settings" button, then choose "Advanced Settings" from the drop-down menu. You will see a field available which allows you to add whatever code you wish in the head section of your site.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike

4 Messages

• 

172 Points

I understand where to edit this information, but I do not know html. How can I add these keywords/meta tags without html?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Here is a link that shows you different syntax for meta tags.

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_met...

Drew

5 Messages

• 

258 Points

11 years ago

Keyword option - moving from desktop to online.

I recently was requested to change from the desktop Sitebuilder to use of online access only. This so far has not been overly pleasant as I often use the builder and leave open all day to continuously build, only to have to re-sign in to do so...
Nonetheless my main issues at this time is in regard to the keyword option not being accessible. This is a very important tool and is needed in my sites for constant battles for high placement of search engine placement.
Does anyone know where or how to access this?
I apologize if I have missed this somehow, but I need some assistance in my search.
Am I to assume it's now moved to implementing my own meta tags?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi ravenest13,

Your assumption is correct, you can still add your own meta tags in the head section of the site, but our developers took out the key word field as Google no longer uses the keyword tag. My previous post just above this explains it in more details and there is also a ling to Google blog confirming they do not use the keyword tag any longer, but you can still add it if you wish.

Mike

5 Messages

• 

258 Points

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the swift response.
I'm curious... Are you aware of any additional efforts to replace this concept by Google? In this case do you know if G'l Tag Manager is used this way? I only just plugged that code in, but have not tweaked anything yet.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Google is very secretive about everything they do so it's hard to say if they plan to replace it with anything. One thing they are very honest about is that their algorithm is looking for high quality, search engine friendly sites. For the most part, this means putting some meaningful text on the site that is not duplicated on other sites. This is where the whole SEO, keyword analysis process gets to be more complicated. If you are not familiar with the process, we do have a very good guide that explains how to optimize your site with our SiteBuilder software, If you are interested in learning more or want to discuss our SEO services, let me know and I'll have an advisor give you a call.

Mike

5 Messages

• 

258 Points

Thanks...

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You're welcome!

5 Messages

• 

264 Points

11 years ago

How do I add keywords to my pages?.

I wish to add keywords to my site pages to increase traffic. Can I do this myself and, if so, how? Thank you!

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

How do I get the information displayed in the tab of my browser to change?.

The info displayed in the tab of my browser is my random logon and the city and state. Anyone know how to change it so that it just says the title of the site?

Thanks!

3 Messages

• 

172 Points

11 years ago

Links to pages from navigation page..

When I go on my published site I see that the url descriptions are still appearing with old names that I thought I updated. For instance this page: http://www.candiceyates.com/Social-He... should say /Still-Lifes but it doesn't even though I updated the page name. When I went to Site Navigation Menu Settings and click on Links and then highlight the "Still-Life" page and then click Edit link and Browse, I cannot find the Still Life Page in the drop down. What have I done wrong?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

I think you are referring to the Page Title. Follow the steps in this thread.

Mike