homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Tuesday, October 16th, 2012 8:16 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Fixing The 404 Error Page

Sitebuilder Plus: Fixing The 404 Error Page
The SiteError404 page is a default page in your account for instances where there is a broken link on your website.

Important: It is not counted in your total page count if you're on a package that only allows limited pages.

If a visitor types a page name incorrectly or clicks a link to a page that no longer exists, they'd see the error page instead. When you are viewing your published site and click on a link that takes you to the SiteError404 page, you have a broken link.

Is your home page named 'Index'?
Index is the universal page name used by the World Wide Web to distinguish a domain's home page. If you try to go to your domain name and get a site404error message, chances are you renamed your home page to something like 'home.html.'
To rename the home page Index follow the steps to rename home page Index.

Do you have a broken link?
If you are clicking around your website and you get the siteerror404 page, chances are you have a broken link. To fix a broken link:

1. Login to your website account.

2. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site

3. Click the navigation menu so it's highlighted.

4. On the right, in the Site Navigation Menu Settings, click the Links tab. Select the page that caused the siteerror404 and click Edit Link.

5. When the smaller window opens, click Browse and find the correct page for that link.

6. Click OK. Then, Save and Publish.

7. Check your live website to make sure your links connect to the right pages.

Hope that helps!
Brand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

12 years ago

The SiteError404 page is a default page in your account for instances where there is a broken link on your website.

Important: It is not counted in your total page count if you're on a package that only allows limited pages.

If a visitor types a page name incorrectly or clicks a link to a page that no longer exists, they'd see the error page instead. When you are viewing your published site and click on a link that takes you to the SiteError404 page, you have a broken link.

Is your home page named 'Index'?
Index is the universal page name used by the World Wide Web to distinguish a domain's home page. If you try to go to your domain name and get a site404error message, chances are you renamed your home page to something like 'home.html.'
To rename the home page Index follow the steps to rename home page Index.

Do you have a broken link?
If you are clicking around your website and you get the siteerror404 page, chances are you have a broken link. To fix a broken link:

1. Login to your website account.

2. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site

3. Click the navigation menu so it's highlighted.

4. On the right, in the Site Navigation Menu Settings, click the Links tab. Select the page that caused the siteerror404 and click Edit Link.

5. When the smaller window opens, click Browse and find the correct page for that link.

6. Click OK. Then, Save and Publish.

7. Check your live website to make sure your links connect to the right pages.

Hope that helps!

Did this answer help? If so, please mark 'good answer' below for other people to find this post. Also like us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about how to grow your business.

11 Messages

• 

346 Points

10 years ago

I tried the steps above twice. Left it overnight thinking it needed time for the adjustment. Just check my site and it continues to show the error page. I re did the steps again above and also went into the File Manager and it shows this link as OK but its not published im still seeing the error page. I have other pages under construction and so I am releasing my pages as I work on them. This step is not working for me.

Please assist. Am I missing another step?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

FOL Admin , We'll be happy to take a look, which site, page name, and link name are you having the problem with?

Mike

11 Messages

• 

346 Points

folapostolic.com is our site page. Thank you

11 Messages

• 

346 Points

I renamed my SERVICE link to CALENDAR and that is the link that is not being published.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

It seems to be working fine. The Calendar link, directs to the page titled Calendar. If its not appearing on your end try to clear your cookies and cache, close, then reopen your web browser.

Mike

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
why am I getting the page not found message on my published website.

3 Messages

• 

152 Points

10 years ago

Changes to blog are not publishing.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Adam0698,

Your blog is working fine. You just need to fix the "blog" navigation link so that it links to the correct page.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

How do I go about fixing broken links on my website.

I am using an seo program that is telling me I have broken links, internal and external. I want to fix but don't understand how.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You'll need to know which links are the broken links, but step #5 is where you designate the correct page that you are linking to. If you do actually have broken links, they'll return the "site error 404" page.

Mike

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

10 years ago

Our Photo-Gallery Page is refusing to publish. It says it publishes, but when visiting the site--- PAGE NOT FOUND.

I have attempted to publish the page repeatedly for the past few hours, but keep having the same result. Page not found. Yet when I log into our site builder, the page is still there and constructed exactly as planned.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Paul 8090,  This error means you have a broken navigation link, follow the steps on this page and let us know if you still have problems. 

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

Yea, I figured as much after trolling through other questions... although the spelling matched on everything, but I just deleted the page and built a new one and it worked fine. Thanks though

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You're welcome. 

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

I am having the same issue, the correct page is not showing in the list of available pages.

129 Messages

• 

18.9K Points

Hello Margaret,

If you do not have the page, you can add it without it counting towards your page limit by creating a page and naming it siteerror404.

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

9 years ago

I need assistance with the error 404.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I didn't see any 404 errors. Did you get this resolved?

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

well, It still shows up when I am edit site under view page and current navigation menu settings.  Thank you for your assistance. 

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

That is ok. Take a look at the topic below for what the page is for.

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/what_is_the_site_error_404_pages_purpose

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

great thanks, problem solved

8 Messages

• 

242 Points

8 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What does site error 404 mean? I tried to add a tab of "photo gallery" and this i....

What does site error 404 mean? I tried to add a tab of "photo gallery" and this is what it says. How do I get rid of it because now I have 2 tabs that say "photo gallery"

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

6 years ago

This did not work. I have the 404 error showing on my edit page for my Now Showing tab for our website. I followed the steps you gave but it did not change. On the website it does show Now Showing but I have problems with the site updating sometimes and was told it is because of the error 404. Why is mine not fixing when I follow these steps?
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

I told you exactly what you needed to do to resolve this issue, and looking at your website, it still has not been done. As I said:

The issue is, you do not have a "Now Showing" page. You have a site error 404 page that you added your Now Showing page content to. This is what is causing that issue. I recommend adding a new page, actually naming that page "Now Showing", putting the Now Showing content on that page, and linking your menu to that correctly created page. Then, go fix your site error 404 page back to what it was by default.

This means you need to go into your builder, add a new page, name it "Now Showing", RECREATE your "Now Showing" Page on that new page. Make sure the link in the navigation menu is set to go to that new page. Then, go to the Site Error 404 page, delete the "Now Showing" content, and create a 404 error page for your website.

16 Messages

• 

866 Points

6 years ago

I am having this same issue with getting the page doesn'
t exist. I have tried to fix it about 100 times and the same thing. This is a new issue and is causing my company a loss of revenue. I need to get this fixed!
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

What website and which page are you having this trouble with?

15 Messages

• 

310 Points

5 years ago

I am another person with this issue. 
I want the Products tab/page removed; followed the directions to do so and now still have Products on my tabs and site error 404.
I just wanted to do some updates to my site!
reikihealingartsvt.com
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

If you have removed the page, you will also need to remove it from your navigation menu. Click on the menu and go to the Links tab on the right. Click on that page and choose the option to delete it.

4 Messages

• 

90 Points

6 months ago

Hello, we have tried every trick that is recommended by the help articles but the website www.greatamericanplumbing.com still will not come up. We redirected the original URL to the new website, and it is showing on the backend but we can't seem to make it actually come live. Please help!

4 Messages

• 

90 Points

This is the error we are getting.