What is the site error 404 page's purpose?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

The File Not Found Error page (or Site Error 404 page) appears whenever a visitor enters an invalid URL for your site. Invalid URLs can occur if the user types in the URL incorrectly or if you have broken links on your web pages, resulting from a page being renamed or deleted.

If your account is one that has a page limit, the siteerror404 does not count towards your pages.

Deleting this page can actually confuse Google bots and could cause them to fail indexing your site correctly, so we highly recommend not deleting this page.

In fact, Google also suggests customizing this page with links to other popular pages on the site, or some humor. You can do this from within Sitebuilder.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 258,498 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of justgal770795

justgal770795

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So will Site Error 404 pulish on your website?  Ido have a 5 page limit.  I added another page with the same name and I think it what might have caused that page to get an error 404 now.  Thanks for the help.  
Photo of Drew N

• 258,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The stieerror404 does not count as a page.  It is a default error page that is supposed to exist on all web sites.
Photo of Chris6762

Chris6762

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled have site error listed on a web page, cant remove.

have extra web page that doesn't give options to remove
Photo of Drew N

Here is why there is the page.
Photo of maria2471

maria2471

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled pls remove this!.

site error 404. what is this and why is it showing on my edit page?? Pls remove immediately! Thanks
Photo of Drew N

Susan is correct. You just want to leave that page alone. You can customize the messaging if you want.

Drew
Photo of patti2506

patti2506

• 850 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
My site error page doesn't work anymore. It used to!  Try it out. Type in an invalid for http://www/gcsct/org .Drew, please let me know how to fix this.  Here is a link to my error page created a while back, http://gcsct.homestead.com/siteerror404.html

Thank you!
Photo of Drew N

Hi patti2506,

I replied in your other topic, so let's keep this conversation in one or the other, whichever you wish. I am not sure, but I have the engineers looking at it to see if it is migration related.

Drew
Photo of patti2506

patti2506

• 850 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thank you. I'll leave this thread and stay on the other one.
Thanks again.
Photo of Rick5976

Rick5976

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do i delete a 404 error page ?.

I JUST WANT TO DELETE THE 404 ERROR PAGE HOW ?
Photo of Drew N

Rick5976,

This is a page that search engines like to see. I you remove it, it can negatively impact search engine results.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I have a site error 404. Trying to delete that page but can't..
Photo of Hali8945

Hali8945

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled changing the name of a page that I can't delete.

I have a page that is titled site error 404. It was made by the previous webmaster. I am taking over and completely redoing this site and I've deleted all the pages except my home page but I have one page left titled site error 404. I can't find an option to delete this page and create a new one so it there anyway to at least rename it? The page is completely blank with no current links or anything on it.
Thanks.
Photo of Drew N

• 258,438 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hali8945, You can customize the page to display what you wish, but it should be left there. Place links back to the website and maybe a simple explanation.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 56,758 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This 404 error will not produce any problems. It actually helps divert traffic to your site. It seems peculiar, but that's the school of thought. It could be deleted using your file manage, under the URL on your page editor. If you delete this page, previous visitors using that page as a link to your site will need to refind your site using an alternative.
Photo of Pauline1459

Pauline1459

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how do I get ride of site error404.

it is in my view page
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 56,828 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Remove it from the menu but do not delete it from your files. It's okay to have it on your view page list. It does not count against your page quota.
(Edited)
Photo of Ioanna2511

Ioanna2511

• 62 Points
Unfortunately, I deleted this error page (before I discovered these conversations) and now the menu on my site shows an additional page.  If I click on it, it opens and redirects me to Homestead.  I would like this error gone from my site. Is it possible?
Thank you very much
Ioanna2511
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 56,828 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Per Google: https://www.google.com/search?num=30&site=webhp&source=hp&q=404+error&oq=404&gs_....
"The HTTP 404 Not Found Error means that the webpage you were trying to reach could not be found on the server. It is a Client-side Error which means that either the page has been removed or moved and the URL was not changed accordingly, or that you typed in the URL incorrectly."
Generally there's no need to make any adjustment. Removing the 404 page may disable your customer to be directed to your site. 404's may be produced by page name changes.
Photo of Dennis7355

Dennis7355

• 578 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled what is error site 404.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.