homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Friday, January 18th, 2019 7:44 PM

Why Do I Need SSL on My Website?

Why Do I Need SSL on My Website?

​Note: This topic is for Homestead WebsiteBuilder sites only. If you have a Homestead Sitebuilder Plus site, please reference our topic on ​​securing your Sitebuilder Plus site​​.​

​What is SSL?​

​Secure Socket Layer(SSL) is a standard protocol for the encryption of data between a web server(your site) and a browser(your visitor). When using SSL, all communication between the server and the visitor is encrypted. This will give you visitor peace of mind that any information they are sending to you is secured between you and your customer.​

​Why do I need SSL​​?​

​The Internet is a great tool, for everyone. Unfortunately, everyone includes cybercriminals. Without SSL an average hacker can intercept and read your communication. With SSL, this is a very difficult thing to do, and the protocols are constantly reviewed and improved for the best possible security.​

​SSL also has a positive impact on your search engine ranking.​

​Make sure your WebsiteBuilder site is secure. Open your browser and navigate to your site. If you see the locked padlock and https, your site is secure.​

​How do I get SSL on my WebsiteBuilder site​​?​

​If you register the domain through Homestead or point to your Homestead WebsiteBuilder site by using our nameservers, then SSL should happen automatically for you. This is included with all hosting packages. No extra fees.​

​If you are pointing your domain using DNS(A record pointing) please refer to our topic on ​​activating your free SSL​​.​

​Besides security, are there any other benefits to securing my site​​?​

​There are! and they are also included at no additional charge. ​

​ ​
  1. ​Advanced protection from ​​Distributed Denial of Service(DDoS) attacks​​. Simply put, DDoS is an Internet traffic jam. People intent on disruption of a site or service purposefully use a multitude of compromised devices to create so much junk traffic there is no way for legitimate traffic to find its way through, causing the site to be unreachable. There are several types of DDoS attack and therefore several ways to mitigate the attack. ​
  2. ​ ​
  3. ​You also get a ​​Content Delivery Network(CDN)​​. A CDN improves the speed your pages load. This can help reduce your bounce rate and help to increase your search rank. It also increases content availability. Your data is located throughout a large network of servers. If one location has excessive traffic or hardware issues, the content can still be served from the CDN. ​
  4. ​ ​

​Summary​​:​
​SSL is free to you​
​SSL protects the information your customers share with you.​
​SSL helps you rank higher in search engine results​
​SSL activation provides advanced DDoS protections​
​SSL includes a CDN to improve speed and availability. Helps improve search ranking again.​

14 Messages

• 

274 Points

5 years ago

How do I move my domain server from Names Secure to Homestead? I have been led to believe that SSL would cost me over $50/yr.
Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

Hello,

To get the free SSL, you would need to build a Website Builder site, which I see you haven't done yet. Then, you can either point your domain to Homestead via nameservers from your current registrar or you can transfer your domain to Homestead.

14 Messages

• 

274 Points

I have three Homestead websites. What is the Website Builder?
Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

Website Builder is our newest builder that any new websites will be built on. I can see that you haven't created a new site since we launched the new builder about 2 years ago.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

@phillip7389​ build your website on homestead

14 Messages

• 

274 Points

I said previously: That would take at least 80 hours. Why can't they transfer the code from the current site to the new one? 

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

5 years ago

How would I go about turning on SSL on my site? I believe we started with the sitebuilder program but now we exclusively use the website builder online.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

5 years ago

Hello Brian, 

The site on your account is built in sitebuilder plus, to add a SSL to your site you can follow these steps https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/can-i-secure-my-homestead-website-with-https.

9 Messages

• 

260 Points

@michelle_c​ that link doesn't work and I have same issue

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

1 year ago

So based on what I am understanding is if it was built prior to 2 years ago (mine is 8 or so years old) then we have to rebuild the site to get it secured?

Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

Hello, 

No. We recommend you rebuild your site, but you can secure it using Sitebuilder Plus. If you look at the top of this article, you'll see it says If you have a Homestead Sitebuilder Plus site, please reference our topic on securing your Sitebuilder Plus site.

(edited)

14 Messages

• 

274 Points

The link does not work.

14 Messages

• 

274 Points

1 year ago

Yes, I had the same problem. I switched my domain name over to Homestead expecting to automatically get SSL. When that didn't happen I was told I had to rebuild my entire site using an unfamiliar software without all the features that were used to build the original one. That would take at least 80 hours. Why can't they transfer the code from the current site to the new one? 

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

@phillip7389​ So what did you wind up doing??

14 Messages

• 

274 Points

Nothing. My account is still unsecured.

14 Messages

• 

274 Points

1 year ago

Come on Homestead, you are not serving your customers! These links do not work. When are you going to help us?

Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

@phillip7389​ I provided the correct link to you in response to a comment over a month ago, but the article has been updated as well:

‎Can I Secure My Homestead Website With HTTPS? | Homestead Community

9 Messages

• 

260 Points

1 year ago

My account is still unsecured and I do use SiteBulder Plus  - kinda makes us look unprofessional