Account: Transfer a Domain to Homestead
To use an existing domain with your website, you can either point or transfer your domain. Once you transfer to us, you will be able to manage your email, domain, and website within your account. We will renew your domain every year as long as your account is active.
- If your domain ends in .com, .org, .net, .biz, .info, or .name, you can transfer it.
- If your domain is already pointed to us and you'd like to transfer it, please contact us to assist with this
- If your domain ends in any suffix other than the ones noted above (like a foreign or alternative suffix such as .ca, .co, and .uk) you can't transfer it; you'll need to point your domain.
Important notes before you start:
- A domain name transfer takes between 5-7 days. Transfers are automated, and the transfer can't be sped up. During that time, your domain will have some downtime.
- Any email addresses for the domain won't work during the domain transfer process, even if you are currently pointing your domain to us. After the domain transfer process is complete, you'll need to recreate the email addresses in your website account.
- If you registered your domain less than 60 days ago, ICANN regulations dictate that you must wait until 60 days have passed to proceed with the domain transfer process. However, you can point your domain until 60 days have passed.
- If your domain name is in a 'locked' status by your current domain provider, you must unlock it before you can transfer the domain.
- Verify that the Administrative Contact email address for your domain name is current and accessible. If it isn't, you must update it with your current registrar before transferring the domain.
- You can work on your website during the transfer.
Did you unlock the domain, remove privacy, or make changes to the administrative contact email? If so, it's best to wait 24 hours before starting the transfer.
To transfer your domain
- Click Domains on the left navigation menu.
- Under Use a Domain You Already Own, type in your website address in the field next to www. and select the correct extension. The default is .com. Then, click Use This Domain.
- Click Host With Homestead.
- Confirm your domain has been with your current provider for at least 60 days. Click Yes.
- Read the information about how long it will take to transfer and what will happen to your email. Click Continue.
- Read the information about cost. Any domain upgrade (including transfers) not included in your base package will incur a one-time $5.00 setup fee plus a $2.00 monthly fee. Click Continue.
- Work with your current provider and select the checkbox after you complete each step:
- Remove privacy for your domain.
- Confirm the administrative contact email for your domain. All approval and informational emails about the transfer will be sent to this email.
- Get the authorization code. This code is sometimes referred to as an EPP code or a domain password. You'll need it to approve the transfer.
If you mark a step complete when it isn't, the domain transfer will be unsuccessful and you'll have to start over. This will cause your domain transfer to take longer.
After you have finished all the required tasks, the transfer will complete within 5-7 days.
We'll send you an email when you can start managing your domain through Homestead. Remember, you can continue to build and edit your website while we complete the transfer.