homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Friday, October 26th, 2012 6:35 PM

Account: Transfer a Domain to Homestead

Account: Transfer a Domain to Homestead

To use an existing domain with your website, you can either point or transfer your domain. Once you transfer to us, you will be able to manage your email, domain, and website within your account. We will renew your domain every year as long as your account is active.

• If your domain ends in .com, .org, .net, .biz, .info, or .name, you can transfer it.

• If your domain is already pointed to us and you'd like to transfer it, please contact us to assist with this

• If your domain ends in any suffix other than the ones noted above (like a foreign or alternative suffix such as .ca, .co, and .uk) you can't transfer it; you'll need to point your domain.

Important notes before you start:

• A domain name transfer takes between 5-7 days. Transfers are automated, and the transfer can't be sped up. During that time, your domain will have some downtime.

• Any email addresses for the domain won't work during the domain transfer process, even if you are currently pointing your domain to us. After the domain transfer process is complete, you'll need to recreate the email addresses in your website account. 

• If you registered your domain less than 60 days ago, ICANN regulations dictate that you must wait until 60 days have passed to proceed with the domain transfer process. However, you can point your domain until 60 days have passed.

• If your domain name is in a 'locked' status by your current domain provider, you must unlock it before you can transfer the domain.

• Verify that the Administrative Contact email address for your domain name is current and accessible. If it isn't, you must update it with your current registrar before transferring the domain.

• You can work on your website during the transfer.

Did you unlock the domain, remove privacy, or make changes to the administrative contact email? If so, it's best to wait 24 hours before starting the transfer.

To transfer your domain

1. Click Domains on the left navigation menu.

2. Under Use a Domain You Already Own, type in your website address in the field next to www. and select the correct extension. The default is .com. Then, click Use This Domain.

3. Click Host With Homestead.

4. Confirm your domain has been with your current provider for at least 60 days. Click Yes.

5. Read the information about how long it will take to transfer and what will happen to your email. Click Continue.

6. Read the information about cost. Any domain upgrade (including transfers) not included in your base package will incur a one-time $5.00 setup fee plus a $2.00 monthly fee. Click Continue.

7. Work with your current provider and select the checkbox after you complete each step:

• Remove privacy for your domain.

• Confirm the administrative contact email for your domain. All approval and informational emails about the transfer will be sent to this email.

• Get the authorization code. This code is sometimes referred to as an EPP code or a domain password. You'll need it to approve the transfer.

Important:
            If you mark a step complete when it isn't, the domain transfer will be unsuccessful and you'll have to start over. This will cause your domain transfer to take longer.

1. Unlock your domain.

2. After completing every task, click Continue.

3. Verify the contact information. Then, acknowledge and accept the terms and conditions of the Tucows Terms of Service Agreement. Select the Terms of Service checkbox. Click Save and Continue.

4. Check your email and authorize the transfer. The transfer must be authorized within 5 days or the domain transfer will be unsuccessful. To authorize the transfer you'll need the authorization code that you got from your current provider in Step 7. Click I have authorized the transfer.

After you have finished all the required tasks, the transfer will complete within 5-7 days. 

We'll send you an email when you can start managing your domain through Homestead. Remember, you can continue to build and edit your website while we complete the transfer.

Brand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

12 years ago

To use an existing domain with your website, you can either point or transfer your domain. Once you transfer to us, you will be able to manage your email, domain, and website within your account. We will renew your domain every year as long as your account is active.

• If your domain ends in .com, .org, .net, .biz, .info, or .name, you can transfer it.

• If your domain is already pointed to us and you'd like to transfer it, go to transfer your pointed domain.

• If your domain ends in any suffix other than the ones noted above (like a foreign or alternative suffix such as .ca, .co, and .uk) you can't transfer it; you'll need to point your domain.

Important notes before you start:

• A domain name transfer takes between 5-7 days. Transfers are automated, and the transfer can't be sped up. During that time, your domain will have some downtime.

• Any email addresses for the domain won't work during the domain transfer process, even if you are currently pointing your domain to us. After the domain transfer process is complete, you'll need to recreate the email addresses in your website account. Consider backing up your email.

• If you registered your domain less than 60 days ago, ICANN regulations dictate that you must wait until 60 days have passed to proceed with the domain transfer process. However, you can point your domain until 60 days has passed.

• If your domain name is in a 'locked' status by your current domain provider, you must unlock it before you can transfer the domain.

• Verify that the Administrative Contact email address for your domain name is current and accessible. If it isn't, you must update it with your current registrar before transferring the domain.

• You can work on your website during the transfer.

Did you unlock the domain, remove privacy, or make changes to the administrative contact email? If so, it's best to wait 24 hours before starting the transfer.

To transfer your domain

1. Click Domains on the left navigation menu.

2. Under Use a Domain You Already Own, type in your website address in the field next to www. and select the correct extension. The default is .com. Then, click Use This Domain .

3. Click Host With Homestead.

4. Confirm your domain has been with your current provider for at least 60 days. Click Yes.

5. Read the information about how long it will take to transfer and what will happen to your email. Click Continue.

6. Read the information about cost. Any domain upgrade (including transfers) not included in your base package will incur a one-time $5.00 setup fee plus a $2.00 monthly fee. Click Continue.

7. Work with your current provider and select the checkbox after you complete each step:

• Unlock your domain.

• Remove privacy for your domain.

• Confirm the administrative contact email for your domain. All approval and informational emails about the transfer will be sent to this email.

• Get the authorization code. This code is sometimes referred to as an EPP code or a domain password. You'll need it to approve the transfer.

Important : If you mark a step complete when it isn't, the domain transfer will be unsuccessful and you'll have to start over. This will cause your domain transfer to take longer.

8. After completing every task, click Continue.

9. Verify the contact information. Then, acknowledge and accept the terms and conditions of the Tucows Terms of Service Agreement. Select the Terms of Service checkbox. Click Save and Continue .

10. Check your email and authorize the transfer. The transfer must be authorized within 5 days or the domain transfer will be unsuccessful. To authorize the transfer you'll need the authorization code that you got from your current provider in Step 7. Click I have authorized the transfer.

After you have finished all required tasks, the transfer will complete within 5-7 days.

We'll send you an email when you can start managing your domain through Homestead. Remember, you can continue to build and edit your website while we complete the transfer.

Hope that helps! 

12 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

Pointing is a PAIN!!!

12 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

I tried and never could get it right and gave up!

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

Attempting to transfer a domain over, already started it, however now when I click on "Domains" to check on the status, it brings me to my Billing part of my account info. How am I supposed to check the status?

129 Messages

• 

18.9K Points

Hello Stephanie,

It is giving you that page because we attempted to collect a payment but it was not received. The domain transfer has been successfully issued, and at this point we are waiting for the registry to finish. This should be completed within 24-72 hours.

12 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

I transfered www.morkieworld.com and it went to www.fancy-face-shorkies.com It's a Frickin mess. It even says Toy poodles and shih poo puppies in the description when you do a search for it. Don't even have those on this website!
Never wanted to do a transfer. I wanted to Point it. I don't want Homestead to have my domain name and have to pay here too. What a mess!! I can go mobile until this mess is straight!! I don't think anyone has all their Apples in their cart here at Homestead!!

1 Message

• 

110 Points

11 years ago

Can't click host with homestead because this message comes up...
This domain is already associated with a website account.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

I realize this is 7 years old but were you able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue. 

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

What issue are you experiencing? 

(edited)

1 Message

• 

140 Points

11 years ago

When following these steps I get the message ' This domain already associate with a website account' for a pointed domain name. What do I need to do to get it transferred before it expires?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Daymon6912, I'm not sure if you saw it, but I answered your question on this thread: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Switching domain hosting from Godaddy to Homestead.

I currently have my domain name hosted with Godaddy with a 2-year subscription that expires at the end of this month. I would like to move my domain name to Homestead and have it managed and hosted here. How do I do this? Will there be any cost associated with my account and will it cause my live site to be down for any length of time?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

9 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I have a website name. Is is registered with GoDaddy. Can Homestead host it? Must....

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

maryannkellymacdonald2719,

Yes, you can transfer the domain to Homestead follwoing the instructions above.

37 Messages

• 

2K Points

9 years ago

What if you want the email account to stay with Yahoo...but would like to transfer the domain name to Homestead where the web site was designed?  Thanks in advance.

129 Messages

• 

18.9K Points

After the domain has transferred to us, we can then set up the email to go through Yahoo. 

37 Messages

• 

2K Points

Ok so does this mean the email will be down until the transfer takes place?  
The email matches the domain name...so is that going to be a problem?  The domain name is not working...because every time I change the servers to Homestead...then the email account will not work.  Such a nightmare with Yahoo.  This is a client of mine...not my account.  I would have never gone with Yahoo to begin with.

So what do I need to do to start this transfer?  Unlock and get the auth code?  Please advise and thanks in advance.

129 Messages

• 

18.9K Points

Yes, you would need to unlock the domain and get the authorization code. Once the domain transfers, we can update it to make the email come back online. It emails should only be down for a brief period of time. It depends on how quickly the records update after the transfer. While asking for the authorization code from Yahoo, also ask them what domain records are needed for their email.

2 Messages

• 

142 Points

8 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled attempting to transfer a domain from Wix.com to my Homestead account...

I'm  attempting to transfer a domain from Wix.com to my Homestead account..  I'm at the point where its asking to unlock my domain.  I received the code to unlock in my email but I'm not sure what to do with it.  It says" Copy this code into the required field with your new registrar, and your domain transfer will be completed. " But I dont see where in Homestead I'm supposed to input this code.  Help please...
Brand User

1K Messages

• 

30K Points

Here's an article on transferring your domain. Make sure you have your privacy removed as well. Login at Homestead, go to Domains, and click the Use A Domain You Already Own, this is where you start the process.

3 Messages

• 

152 Points

8 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled domain name.

My original domain name host stopped hosting my domain now I would like to have homestead host my domain name yahoo will not respond to me because I am no longer a paying customer how does homestead access my domain name

45 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

8 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled transferring a domain to Homestead.

I'd like to transfer a domain from MrSite to http://midgebuilders.homestead.com/ The Mr Site helpers want an ISP so that they can release it. What is the ISP and can I transfer http://www.mobc.co.uk/ to it?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Jim, This topic outlines what you need to do to transfer the domain to Homestead. If you have any questions please ask. ISP is Internet Service Provider, which is the company that connects you to the internet. They may be asking for an IP address, which would be used for pointing a domain and not transferring it.

45 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Thanks Drew, actually I tried to add that they had asked for an 'ISP tab' which is presumably some kind of address, and might also be called an IP address. Does that make sense? If so do you know what it is?

45 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Further thought. First I want to transfer it rather than point it, so I guess I should ask you what information they will ask me for to do that. Also whether Homestead can host a .co.uk domain. I have discovered there is something called Homestead.yaml but It is not something I understand as it is, I assume, an acronym. Another complication might be that I'm using a Mac on Chrome.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Homestead is not able to add domains with two dots in the name. You would need to see if your host can forward the domain with masking.

45 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Mr Site say they cannot mask. Is there any way around that? They did provide me with an address https://whois-search.com/whois/mobc.co.uk which has some details but frankly it's a bit like asking the average human what length his particular colon is. It does seem a remarkably complicated system to present an amateur with. Will I have to drop the domain and make up a new one?

5 Messages

• 

182 Points

7 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how to transfer from others host to homestead.

how to transfer from others host to homestead

3 Messages

• 

190 Points

6 years ago

I received an email that my domain was assigned to a different party. Did you renew my domain and is it still under my name and your supervision?

3 Messages

• 

190 Points

6 years ago

Is my domain still under my control and still under your supervision?queenscountymentalhealthsociety.org
Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

143K Points

Hey plkuyler5840

I can see that your domain  queenscountymentalhealthsociety.org  is registered under Homestead, auto renew is enabled and it is not ready to renew until November. It is under your name and there is nothing I can see that is wrong with it. I'm not sure what email that was, but everything looks good on this end!!

45 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

6 years ago

I have received several emails telling me that my domain reeds re-registering and similar, just spammers and con artists trying to get money. I think yours may be a variation on that.

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

If your domain is registered through Homestead, they auto renew and don't send notices. The fee is charged to your Homestead account and charged to your credit card monthly.
Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

143K Points

Hey there Jim5530
What is the domain name? I can see if it is registered with us and set to renew.

5 Messages

• 

280 Points

Are you available to help me change a domain from another provider to Homestead?
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Pat,

Once you contact the current registrar and release the domain for transfer, I can assist with the steps to initiate the transfer into Homestead.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

4 years ago

I need to switch my domain over from another provider. I have a token to transfer it. When I go through the steps in the instructions it tells me "This domain is already associated with a website account". Now what do I do?

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

I can help get this cleared up. What is the domain name? 

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

Kandnautomotiveinc.com. 

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

I see you called into support to get this taken care of, thank you