homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, October 22nd, 2012 5:37 PM

Account: Transfer a Domain to Another Host

Account: Transfer a Domain to Another Host

Here are instructions to transfer your domain to another provider.

Note: ICANN regulations require domains to be with a provider for 60 days before they can be transferred to a new hosting company. Therefore, you can only transfer your domain name to another host if it's been with us for 60 days.

1. Click Domains in the left navigation menu.

2. Scroll down to your domain name. There are 4 things you need to do before you start the transfer.

• Edit Contact Info -- Make sure your email address is listed as the administrative contact. The authorization code (sometimes referred to as an EPP code or Domain password) will be sent to that email.

**IMPORTANT- IF YOU CHANGE THE EMAIL ON FILE FOR YOUR DOMAIN**
          Please follow the instructions in this article:
          Important Domain Information

• Unlock Domain -- Click Edit Domain Locking link and make sure your domain is unlocked.

• Disable Privacy -- Click Show Privacy Status and confirm it's disabled or off.

• Send Authorization Code -- Click Email your authorization code link. The next page will confirm the email address it will be sent to. Click Send to confirm.

3. Once you've completed all 4 things, your domain is now ready to transfer out.

4. Contact the new provider to start the transfer process with them.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

3 years ago

Thank you for this information.

4 Messages

• 

172 Points

3 years ago

Hi, I am looking to transfer the domain but receiving an error. Would you be able to fix the error?
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello, 

You're getting this error because your domain is no longer registered with us. It is currently registered with Register.com. 
I'll close out this account. 

2 Messages

• 

122 Points

3 years ago

I want to transfer my domain (which is currently pointed to a sub-domain) and it does not give me the options to transfer in my Domain Control.  How can someone help with that?

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello, 

Your domain is not registered with Homestead, but with Network Solutions. It is on your account with us as a pointing domain. If you want to transfer this domain elsewhere, it will need to be done through Network Solutions. 

2 Messages

• 

122 Points

Thank you!

4 Messages

• 

140 Points

3 years ago

I'm trying to complete the step to Email the Authorization Code and getting "There was an error retrieving this domain's contact email. Please try again later."

Can you help?

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello, 

Which domain are you working with?

4 Messages

• 

140 Points

brooklenox.com

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Ok, can you please go under Edit Contact Info in the Domain control options and update the email address on file for that domain?

4 Messages

• 

140 Points

That seemed to work. Thanks.

4 Messages

• 

140 Points

I think the domain transfer went through. Can you confirm?

22 Messages

• 

440 Points

2 years ago

my email did not follow after transfering homestead to weebly, what should be done to make it work?

1 Message

• 

60 Points

2 years ago

I have followed these steps and the new host continues to say that my domain is not ready to transfer. Its unlocked and I am entering the auth code with same error message. Why is my domain not being noticed as unlocked?

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello, 

The domain status is currently pendingTransfer, so it looks like they were able to initiate that process. 

6 Messages

• 

142 Points

2 years ago

All steps were followed, and Authorization code received, however the code shows invalid on GoDaddy.

Is there a time delay?

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

There is not. Are you copying/pasting the code or manually entering it?

1.5K Messages

• 

15.3K Points

2 years ago

HOW TO TRANSFER DOMAIN TO ANOTHER HOSTING COMPANY
A domain can be pointed to another website host by using a nameserver change https://community.homestead.com/conversations/domain-support/account-update-nameservers/5f2a9aec5818095884557442 or altering the DNS records https://community.homestead.com/conversations/account-billing/account-editview-dns-records/5f2a9b3a58180958845ee4fb.

If you want that company to become the new host/registrar for the domain you can compete a domain transfer which can take 5- 7 days to complete. https://community.homestead.com/conversations/domain-support/account-transfer-a-domain-to-another-host/5f2a9a855818095884490a40

6 Messages

• 

142 Points

@russell5607​ Thank you!

I am trying to transfer to GoDaddy, as the site will be hosted there and includes domain.

However, the transfer authorization code returns invalid on the GoDaddy side

1.5K Messages

• 

15.3K Points

HELP
Hours of Operation for Live Support
Sales: 1-800-986-0958 (Support can also be contacted via this number)
Support: 1-800-710-1998 (To close your Account)
FREE SEO Consultation: 1-888-412-9962
Mon-Fri: 6:00am - 5:00pm MST(No DST)

3 Messages

• 

190 Points

2 years ago

Once I entered the security code into the new domain hosting company, they said that the code was invalid.  I tried the same steps two and three times and they told me that the number was supposed to be longer than it was.  Please advice. 

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

I've resent the auth code. Whatever the code is will be correct. I would recommend copying and pasting it into a program like Notepad to clear any formatting, which could be causing this issue. 

11 Messages

• 

276 Points

2 years ago

I am wanting to switch from GoDaddy to Homestead. So I have a few questions (I'll ask GoDaddy the same questions)...

1 How long does Homestead's transfer process take? 

2 While the domain is in transition - is the website offline?

3 How soon can I start building my site? Do I have to wait until it's been moved or can I build on empty pages and move them in?

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks for your help!!!

1.5K Messages

• 

15.3K Points

@rusty​ HOW TO TRANSFER DOMAIN TO ANOTHER HOSTING COMPANY
A domain can be pointed to another website host by using a nameserver change https://community.homestead.com/conversations/domain-support/account-update-nameservers/5f2a9aec5818095884557442 or altering the DNS records https://community.homestead.com/conversations/account-billing/account-editview-dns-records/5f2a9b3a58180958845ee4fb.

If you want that company to become the new host/registrar for the domain you can compete a domain transfer which can take 5- 7 days to complete. https://community.homestead.com/conversations/domain-support/account-transfer-a-domain-to-another-host/5f2a9a855818095884490a40

11 Messages

• 

276 Points

@russell5607​ Thanks for the info. So if it takes Homestead up to 7 days to complete the transfer is my website offline that whole time? And when can I start building my site? Do I have to wait until it's been moved or can I build on empty pages and move them in?

1.5K Messages

• 

15.3K Points

@rusty​ If you're signed up with Homestead, start building your new website now.

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Domain transfers take 5-7 days. If you point your domains' nameservers to Homestead before you begin the transfer, there will be very little downtime. You can build your entire site first, then transfer the domain in to associate to that site. You'll just build it on a temporary site name that ends in .homesteadcloud.com, which will stop working once the domain is associated to the site. 

11 Messages

• 

276 Points

@elyzabethv​ Ok, now that I've read that 4 times I think I've got it. Thanks!!

7 Messages

• 

404 Points

1 year ago

I have been happy with my Intuit/Homestead website for 15 years, but now find that it will be better for me to switch to a platform that is designed for my type of business (fine art studio).  I am working through the instructions here.  I have already confirmed that my contact information is current and lists an email address that will not be disabled while my domain is being transferred.  A few minutes ago I unlocked my domain (no problem).  Just now I went to disable privacy, but when I click Show Privacy Status, it just says No and it looks like there's an option to add privacy.  That doesn't seem right though, because when I check my domain on Who Is Lookup, the admin information all shows as Redacted for Privacy.   I started to go through the Email Your Authorization process, but it lists my domain's privacy as Unknown, so I'm puzzled. 

Can you please let me know if I need to wait longer before disabling privacy, or check to see what the status actually is?

7 Messages

• 

404 Points

@sheila6044​ I think I've been able to get the help I needed on this from another source, so no need to reply.  Thanks.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

11 months ago

How can I check the status of the domain transfer to my new hosting provider?  According to their dashboard the status says they are awaiting you guys to approve the transfer.  How can we speed this along?

1.5K Messages

• 

15.3K Points

@russell4997​ HELP?
Hours of Operation for Live Support
Sales: 1-800-986-0958 (Support can also be contacted via this number)
Support: 1-800-710-1998
FREE SEO Consultation: 1-888-412-9962
Mon-Fri: 6:00am - 5:00pm MST(No DST)
Sat-Sun: Closed

11 Messages

• 

212 Points

8 months ago

When I click DOMAIN, I get my account summary.  I do not get access to the domain to unlock or make changes... is there a account setting i need to change first to unlock the domain control?

1.5K Messages

• 

15.3K Points

@john6969​ You need to log in at homestead.com and go to Websites Manager > Edit Site.

11 Messages

• 

212 Points

Russell5607, how does that unlock the domain controls?  That is how I edit my website... unless i am missing something.

1.5K Messages

• 

15.3K Points

@john6969​ What is your platform, SB+ or websitebuilder?

What are you wanting to do?

Change Site Association | Homestead Community
https://community.homestead.com/conversations/account-billing/account-change-site-association/5f2a9a84581809588449007a

11 Messages

• 

212 Points

I am trying to transfer my domain to Hostinger.. they are requiring a EPP or Authorization Code before they will start the transfer process... I thought that's what this thread was discussing. I don't have "edit control" option under my domain tab. 

1.5K Messages

• 

15.3K Points

@john6969​ Follow these instructions: TRANSFER DOMAIN TO ANOTHER HOST:
‎https://community.homestead.com/conversations/domain-support/account-transfer-a-domain-to-another-host/5f2a9a855818095884490a40