homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, October 22nd, 2012 5:37 PM

Account: Transfer a Domain to Another Host

Account: Transfer a Domain to Another Host

Here are instructions to transfer your domain to another provider.

Note: ICANN regulations require domains to be with a provider for 60 days before they can be transferred to a new hosting company. Therefore, you can only transfer your domain name to another host if it's been with us for 60 days.

1. Click Domains in the left navigation menu.

2. Scroll down to your domain name. There are 4 things you need to do before you start the transfer.

• Edit Contact Info -- Make sure your email address is listed as the administrative contact. The authorization code (sometimes referred to as an EPP code or Domain password) will be sent to that email.

**IMPORTANT- IF YOU CHANGE THE EMAIL ON FILE FOR YOUR DOMAIN**
          Please follow the instructions in this article:
          Important Domain Information

• Unlock Domain -- Click Edit Domain Locking link and make sure your domain is unlocked.

• Disable Privacy -- Click Show Privacy Status and confirm it's disabled or off.

• Send Authorization Code -- Click Email your authorization code link. The next page will confirm the email address it will be sent to. Click Send to confirm.

3. Once you've completed all 4 things, your domain is now ready to transfer out.

4. Contact the new provider to start the transfer process with them.

3 Messages

• 

152 Points

10 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Domain Name.

How do I take my domain name to another service provider?

4 Messages

• 

344 Points

10 years ago

Will I be able to keep my website design if I moved to a diffrent host? And will the move affect my search engine ranking?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

It depends on if you designed the site on your own, or used Homesteads templates and images as they are copyrighted. Any time you transfer a site and/or domain there is a change that it could negatively impact the search-ability and page rank but there is not any way to forecast the exact impact. Even if everything goes smooth it can still take 2-3 days to transfer a domain in most cases. The longer the site is offline, the greater chance there is for negative impact.

Mike

1 Message

• 

110 Points

10 years ago

Hi, can you please unlock and email the authorization code to registered email address for transfer of below domain:

www.barcorruption.org

for some reason my site is closed and i will change the hosting. thanks.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

11139577661, Sorry but your account was closed for fraud. Any further inquiries must be directed to compliance@homesteadsupport.com

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

Domain name tranfer issue.

I am trying to make an account change with my domain name and I went through all the steps, got the authorization code, but did not receive any link of where to enter the code. Please help.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You'll need to provide the authorization code to the company you are transferring the domain to.

Mike

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

10 years ago

I'm trying to transfer my domain & it would be nice if HOMESTEAD would not show this error EVERYTIME I TRY TO CHANGE MY EMAIL ADDRESS:

"Sorry, you have experienced an unexpected server error.

You have experienced an unexpected server error. We are working to resolve this problem as quickly as possible. Please try again later."

I've been around for 13 years and my email in the system is out of date (I can't access my old email address to get my Authorization Code). I'm guessing just another way to hold hostage customers attempting to transfer out of the system.

...and no this is not a one time error - it's been doing this for the last 3 weeks.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I see a juno.com address on the domain. What email would you like it to be?

Drew

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

Here's my email Drew: supremecrete@gmail.com

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I updated it for you. Before you transfer it, make sure to verify the change when you receive the email. You have 15 days or the domain will be suspended.

Drew

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

Thanks Drew for your help.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You're welcome

6 Messages

• 

160 Points

10 years ago

Hi,
I want to transfer my domain to another domain register company but i can't acess the domains options because i have to pay but i want to change company, what can i do?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You'll have to pay the past due balance before the system will allow you to transfer the domain. If you update the credit card, then wait for the overnight billing process to run, it will allow you to proceed with the transfer the next day.

Mike

6 Messages

• 

160 Points

but i can't pay two times because i want to change the domain to another host and i can't pay because i will not use this host anymore it's unfair just unlock my domain to allow me to transfer

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

KinGamerZ8464,  Your account had to be closed. The account type you opened is only available to U.S. customers. You will need to direct any inquiries to compliance@homesteadsupport.com

6 Messages

• 

160 Points

but give me only the chance to change my domain

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Once a domain is registered, it can not be changed. If you wish to use a different domain, the best thing to do is just register it at the company you wish to host it at.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

10 years ago

Hello infonet0805,

Follow the instructions at the top of this topic and you will be able to transfer.

Drew

3 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

Can someone please check the status of my domain transfer request for svsoa.com? I've tried the live chat but get disconnected ( time out ? ) after about 120 seconds. 

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

It should complete today Mike.  It might take another day to propagate once transferred.

Thanks

Drew

3 Messages

• 

132 Points

I got an email regarding svsoa.org ( which isn't active ) saying that it was going forward but nothing for svsoa.com which is the one that matters. 

Thanks,

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Mike9082,

I do see the transfer request in process. It may take a little more time.

Mike

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Today the DNS system is showing that the domain is now at Enom, but you have the nameservers pointed to Homestead. Is everything working the way you expected?

Mike

3 Messages

• 

132 Points

I've changed the nameservers for svsoa.org as you suggested, thank you. However, the domain transfer for svsoa.com is still "pending" according to the new hosting company. As such, I can't change the nameserver until the transfer is complete.

1 Message

• 

110 Points

10 years ago

I would like to transfer my domain to another Tucows OpenSRS reseller.  Because Homestead is also a Tucows OpenSRS that domain can be pushed by Homestead to that reseller.  Who do I need to contact at Homestead to do that?  And, the new reseller must have Homestead id listed to accept the push.  Can I assume that the id is homestead?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Alice6060,

You will still need to follow the steps at the top of this thread.  You'll need to initiate the transfer through the new reseller, and perform the steps above. You should never really have to contact Tucows directly.

Mike

2 Messages

• 

122 Points

10 years ago

I have followed all the steps listed at the top of this thread (updated email, unlocked domain, disabled privacy, and sent auth. code) to transfer to iPage.com (Wordpress support). When I try to add my domain to their site it says: "The domain name you specified is already in use. Please select a different domain name." I contacted iPage's tech support and they informed me the site is still with Homestead. I contacted tech support here (chat) and they listed all the steps again and when I informed them I had already done all of them they asked me to contact iPages tech support. What am I missing here?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Hi JDCAMC,

I know someone at iPage that can fix this problem.  Can you tell me the email address that you use on the iPage account?  I will get it over there and then let you know you can start the transfer.

Thanks

Drew

2 Messages

• 

122 Points

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I have reported it.  If all goes well, they will notify that you can start the transfer.  I will make sure to follow up as well.

Drew

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

how can i change my hosting from homestead to godaddy.

i want to change my hosting for my domain currently hosted with homestead , i already updated my nameservers and also updated domain in my godaddy account but still its not working pls advice  

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Lonnie9605,    When you transfer a domain from one company to another, you initiate the process at the receiving company.  But, the steps you need to perform on the Homestead site are mandatory and important that hey are done correctly.   You'll need to perform these steps for each domain you wish to transfer.

Mike

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

if i delete my domain can I register it somewhere else?.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Hi Gwendolyn7618,

Deleting the domain from our system only prevents us from renewing it for you.  The domain is registered for a year at a time.  You can, however, transfer it anywhere you like.

Thanks

Drew

7 Messages

• 

202 Points

10 years ago

I am also having trouble transferring a domain as right now the account is locked. I spoke with an agent explaining I wanted to close the account but to first transfer the domain and he reactivated the account to transfer, but now it closed again (within a day) and can't get into the account.  I need to unlock the domain and I think I have it from there.  Any help is appreciated. 

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Hi Denny Crane,

The domain should be ready to transfer.  Do you have the authorization code?

Drew

7 Messages

• 

202 Points

I should. Does it change?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

It can be if your new host won't recognize the one you have,  but it won't change by itself, so what you have should work.

Drew

7 Messages

• 

202 Points

Thanks Drew. Just tried to log in again.  Still shows locked with message will be closed by date (about a month off). It's asking for payment but I asked to close the account and was told it would be best to have everything ready to transfer and then close account once done. Was told no further payment would be necessary.  

7 Messages

• 

202 Points

I already have most everything worked with the new host, just need to unlock the domain and can't get there to do that.  Thanks for your assistance.

1 Message

• 

110 Points

10 years ago

I am attempting to transfer my domain and when I open the Domain Manager, I get the following error:

"Sorry, you cannot edit your advanced DNS settings for this domain here because your domain is not using Homestead nameservers. If you wish to edit your advanced DNS settings, please go to your domain provider and edit them there, or change your domain nameservers to Homestead nameservers."

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Robin8452,   I only see one domain on your account and it is a piointing domain hosted at another company. You'll have to contact the current domain host. 

3 Messages

• 

152 Points

10 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled where on my web site do i find the control panel.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

This is how to transfer your domain to another host. The website really can't be transferred as our Sitebuilder elements are specific to Homestead.

Drew