homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, October 22nd, 2012 5:37 PM

Account: Transfer a Domain to Another Host

Account: Transfer a Domain to Another Host

Here are instructions to transfer your domain to another provider.

Note: ICANN regulations require domains to be with a provider for 60 days before they can be transferred to a new hosting company. Therefore, you can only transfer your domain name to another host if it's been with us for 60 days.

1. Click Domains in the left navigation menu.

2. Scroll down to your domain name. There are 4 things you need to do before you start the transfer.

• Edit Contact Info -- Make sure your email address is listed as the administrative contact. The authorization code (sometimes referred to as an EPP code or Domain password) will be sent to that email.

**IMPORTANT- IF YOU CHANGE THE EMAIL ON FILE FOR YOUR DOMAIN**
          Please follow the instructions in this article:
          Important Domain Information

• Unlock Domain -- Click Edit Domain Locking link and make sure your domain is unlocked.

• Disable Privacy -- Click Show Privacy Status and confirm it's disabled or off.

• Send Authorization Code -- Click Email your authorization code link. The next page will confirm the email address it will be sent to. Click Send to confirm.

3. Once you've completed all 4 things, your domain is now ready to transfer out.

4. Contact the new provider to start the transfer process with them.

1 Message

• 

110 Points

11 years ago

I'd like the owner to have the domaine and the web-site design so she can own it and go in to make changes
How do I do all that?

5 Messages

• 

282 Points

11 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How is a domain name transferred?.

If I decide to change hosts and build a new website for my domain using another product, how do I get my domain name transferred?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

how do i get a good authorization code from homestead sent to my email, need to transfer my domain name.

Homestead gave me an authorization code but it was not valid. this is the last part of the transfer

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

4 Messages

• 

182 Points

11 years ago

3 Messages

• 

164 Points

11 years ago

How do I get my domain name unlocked?.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

Fresh Start Moving- Domain Name.

How do I transfer my domain to another provider? Last time i think I deleted this homestead kept my domain name :(((((( I want to repurchase it from another place. No hard feelings.

2 Messages

• 

142 Points

10 years ago

How do I move my domain to another provider?.

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

10 years ago

Domain Transfer to external registrar.

Hi, our site chicagomustangfootball.net was set up by a previous employee. How do I transfer the domain to a new external domain registrar?

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

10 years ago

I unlocked my domain over 12 hours ago and it's still saying locked when I try and transfer to my new host. How do I get it to transfer?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Lisa7083, The domain is indeed unlocked. I'm doing some research to see why it's would still say that it's locked.

Mike

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Lisa, can you please check your email for a private message. There's some information we just need to verify.

Mike

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

Hi, my domain is still coming up as locked when I try to transfer to my new host. Is there something I am missing as I've been trying for 3 days now just to get it ready to even start the transfer?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Lisa7083, the domain is definitely unlocked. I did completely remove the domain from our system. Can you go ahead and give it one more try. If you run into problems, reply to one of the personal emails that we've exchanged so I see the response right away.

Mike

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

Who the HELL is Lisa7083 ????
This person is NOT the owner of this domain!!!!
I am, Edward Chapp

1 Message

• 

110 Points

10 years ago

I have followed all of the aforementioned steps in my attempts to transfer my domain to HostGator. On your end it states the domain is unlocked and privacy is disabled, however on their end it states the domain is locked and the email address is not validated (it attempts to send an email to mysite.com@contactprivacy.com

It has been a few hours since I've made the appropriate changes. Does it just need more time or is there something else I need to do.

Thank you!

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

The privacy is indeed turned of. If you tried to transfer shortly after turning off the privacy, then it probably didn't have enough time to recognize the change. Go ahead and give it another try and let us know if you run into problems.

Mike

4 Messages

• 

184 Points

10 years ago

sever relationship with homestead, move domain, stop billings.

I purchased my domain name via homestead over a decade ago. I would like to use another host. I wish to transfer the name to the other host and completely sever my relationship with Homestead? IE no monthly fee or anything at all once the domain is moved? I see another has had a problem doing this so please tell me exactly how to go about this process.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

After you complete the process of transfer then you will either call or cancel your account from within your account. Transferring the domain, in itself, does not cancel the billing.

Thanks

Drew

4 Messages

• 

184 Points

Have transferred it two times already, each time it was pointed back to homestead and to fix it we had to pay some fee of 5$ or so, Probably doing something wrong. I see that others have the same problem so could you just write down the exact steps necessary and post them. THANKS!

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

The promoted response above has the exact steps needed. Follow those steps and you will transfer out.

Drew

1 Message

• 

110 Points

Hi Drew,
Are the procedures same for pointing domain to a weebly website?
If so where can I use the auth code ??

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Pointing a domain is a bit different than transferring. To point a domain, you'll generally want to change the nameservers as shown here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

3 Messages

• 

152 Points

10 years ago

How do i end my account at homestead and take my domain with me?.

I am growing tired of homestead and want to move to greener pastures and take domain name with me. How do i end my account while retaining ownership of my domain name to either host my own website or wordpress etc?

Thanks
-Erik

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You'll want to transfer the domain first, then let us know when you are done so that the account can be closed.

10 Messages

• 

344 Points

10 years ago

Migrating away from Homestead.

Hi - Due to all the email issues I have had since the upgrade, I am looking into alternative hosting services for my site. Where can I find the process for migrating my domain to another web hosting company. thanks

1 Message

• 

110 Points

10 years ago

what wrong with here?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

androleaf1384,

You opened an account type that is only available to U.S. residences/businesses. We had to close the account. Any inquiries will need to be addressed to compliance@homesteadsupport.com