homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, October 22nd, 2012 5:10 PM

Account: Change Site Association

Account: Change Site Association

Here's how you can associate your domain with another website on your account.

1. Click the "Domains" link in the left navigation menu.

2. Scroll down until you see your domain name and click Change Site Association.

3. Choose the website you'd like your domain name to point to using the drop-down menu.

4. Click Save to confirm the change.
      It may take some time for this change to reflect.

**If the site you are switching to is built using WebsiteBuilder**
    5. Click Websites Manager, choose the site you are working with, click Edit Site, and Publish.

*IF YOU GET A 404 ERROR on your published site, please follow the instructions in this article to fix this:
Fixing the WebsiteBuilder 404 Error

Hope that helps!

For a video walkthrough of these instructions:

8 Messages

• 

302 Points

11 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
I bought a new domain but homestead pointed it at an already existing domain. How doo I change this?.

I bought a new domain but homestead has pointed it to a different domain I already own. I did not ask that this be down. When I open the drop down list, my new domain is not listed. But it is listed on the amin menu as a domain I own. Is this a mistake on the part of Homestead or is there something I can do on my own to fix this. Just pointing my new web domain at itself is not an option as it does not appear in the drop down box. Thank you.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

Replacing a Website.

I have a website and it needed updating. I would like to keep that website up and running while I build a new one. I clicked add website and am building the new site. I would like to replace the original site with my new one. How do I do that?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Once you are ready for the new site to go live, just publish it, and then follow the steps in this thread to re-associate the domain name with your new site.

Mike

11 Messages

• 

346 Points

I am trying to do the same thing as this post.  My main URL/Website is LIVE and I want to publish a new website once I complete it. When the new website is completed will I be able use the current URL name and switch it over without having to us a different sub-domain?  I want the new website to keep the www.folapostolic.com address.  Please advise.  Thank YOu

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Hi FOL Admin,

Yes.  Once you finish and publish the new site, then follow the instructions in this topic and change the site association.  Keep in mind in might take up to an hour from the time you switch to the time the new site comes up, so be a little patient.

Thanks

Drew

11 Messages

• 

346 Points

Awesome!  Thank you.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You're welcome

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

how do i work on another domain that i have on here?.

i have 2 domains here. how do i switch?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

I am guessing what you really mean is "how do I work on the site?" not the domain. If this is correct, you'll want to associate the domain with the website. Follow the steps in this thread. Then after you have the domain connected to the correct site it will show up in the drop-down menu on the Websites Manager page.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike

1 Message

• 

110 Points

11 years ago

HI! I BADLY NEED YOUR HELP GUYS.
I HAVE CONNECTED A DOMAIN TO ONE OF MY WEBSITES HERE AT HOMESTEAD, BUT I POINTED ANOTHER DOMAIN TO THE SAID WEBSITE LAST MONTH.. NOW, I WANT MY OLD DOMAIN TO POINT ON THAT WEBSITE AGAIN BUT ONCE I SAVE THE "CHANGE SITE ASSOCIATION"
HOMESTEAD IS NO LONGER GIVING ME A NAMESERVER.. PLEASE HELP

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

I'll be happy to help you fix it. I see you have several pointed domains. Can you tell me specifically which site and domains you need fixed or re-associated?

Mike

4 Messages

• 

188 Points

11 years ago

12 Messages

• 

520 Points

11 years ago

I recently dropped "domain A.com" in favor of "domain B.com," which was a subdomain of "domain A.com." When I go to "Change Site Association," I don't have "domain B.com" as an option. The closest I can come is "domain A.homestead.com." Also, my Site Stats are trying to show me "domain A.com" when this domain doesn't even exist anymore.

Hopefully, I'm being a tad bit more clear than mud, lol.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Sorry, I'll have to have you clarify using specific domain names. It sounds like you might be confusing Homestead sub-domains with your own sub-domains and is probably why you are not finding what you need.

Tell me which domain you are working on and what you want to do.

Mike

12 Messages

• 

520 Points

I had kingdomcavaliers.com for many years. I recently changed to cavaliersoftexas.com, which is directed to the exact same page as kingdomcavaliers.com. Then I dropped kingdomcavaliers.com. Still, when I go to "Change Site Association," hoping to find cavaliersoftexas.com, all I can find that comes close is kingdomcavaliers.homestead.com. Also, when I publish my web pages and choose to automatically view them after they're published, what comes up is kingdomcavaliers.com, which doesn't really exist anymore, resulting in a error page/homestead.com.

12 Messages

• 

520 Points

...and now I can't sign in to work on my web site, check my stats, etc. :( I'm not inexperienced with Homestead. Honest!

12 Messages

• 

520 Points

Okay...scratch that last comment. After half a dozen tries I finally got on.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

What you are seeing is a site name, which is different than a domain name. The site name is actually a subdomain of Homestead. You can change it from the Websites manager page. Just log into your account, go to Websites Manager, and click the "rename" link right next to the domain name.

3 Messages

• 

222 Points

11 years ago

How can I switch my domain to a new site I built in SiteBuilder Plus?.

2 Messages

• 

172 Points

10 years ago

New Domain needing a different website.

I have just bought a new domain that I don't want to be associated with the two I already own. It needs its own website. How do I do that?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

my site is being forward to my new site how do I undo that?.

I added a new website to my package and its being forwarded to my current site...How do I undo that. I am creating a brand new site but its not in my web manager for editing however it is in my domain with the site association of my current business site and I don't want that...Can anyone help me fix this?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

Site Builder Plus on other domains..

I have three domains, only one has SiteBuilder Plus. How do I add to all three. Thinking using Homestead was a mistake, other web hosting companies have 24/7 support. Dissapointed.

5 Messages

• 

304 Points

10 years ago

2nd domain.

I have just purchased a 2nd domain - but the domain name is tied to the extension .homestead.com (which is not the domain name I selected) - example: janedoe,homestead.com. How do I to the following:

1. get rid of the extension so it is just www.janedoe.com

2. how do I create a new website for my 2nd domain name - because my new website is tied to my first website and when I look under manage domains - my 2nd domain list the name of my first.

Thank you

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

10 years ago

Re-direct my Domain Name?.

How do I re-direct my domain name to go to another site of mine I have from another company? I don't want to transfer to another hosting site only re-direct?

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

10 years ago

i have tried what was posted. That will only give me options on the websites created by homestead. It does not let me add my own url from the dropdown. I want to re-direct to a social site i created with another company.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

The easiest thing would be to point the domain by changing the nameservers as long as the other company supports it. If you can get their nameservers and make the updates as shown here: https://community.homestead.com/homes... it will be relatively simple.

Mike

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

Two domains and only one showing with the wrong domain.

I have two Domains the website showing has the wrong Domain connected to it and I'm unable to get the other website. The one showing ( thelovecorner.org) and that website should be (victoryinchristmin.org)

10 Messages

• 

294 Points

10 years ago

lost my site somewhere.

I got my domain today, built my site,published and now it's like it doesn't exist. It actually points to one of my other sites. I changed that but it hasn't worked. I cannot find the site I built although it is in my domains list. Please advise, am I moving too swiftly?
It seems I didn't read the first email. OK that's good but what about the site I built. Do I have to start over or can I find it stashed somewhere??????

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Robert8891, I see the new domain, but you also have several sites. It appears you just need to connect the new domain with the appropriate site. Follow the steps above and it will show you how to associate the domain with the appropriate site.

Mike