homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Thursday, November 17th, 2016 11:30 PM

WebsiteBuilder: Add Media Files

WebsiteBuilder: Add Media Files
Media files help to increase the engagement and time spent on your website. It helps with branding your business, as it will showcase what your business is about. It is also easier to link between your website and your social media with videos.

There are two options available to add videos in Website Builder. You can add it via URL from Youtube or Vimeo.

Both platforms are good to use, but which option you choose will depend on your business and your needs.

Youtube is, by far, the largest video streaming platform. It is also one of the most used search engines. Google favors Youtube videos in searches, so you are more likely to come up in relevant searches. Youtube is free to use and works well on mobile. With billions of users, you will have a huge audience available. The downside of so many users is that there are SO many videos on Youtube, that it makes it more likely that yours will not be noticed. Lastly, Youtube features Ads which many users do not like.

Vimeo is a smaller, niched platform that tends to feature higher quality content. It doesn't have as many users and does not rank on Google, but it is devoid of Ads and also has a free option. That free option, however, is limited and you might need to purchase more storage, which can only be bought annually.

Once you decide which one is best for you and your business.

1) Click on the Elements button. Click on the Video tab. Click on Video.

2) Move the video to the desired location and left click to drop it. Click Change Video.

3) Go to your video on Vimeo or Youtube. Copy the URL from the address bar. Paste the URL into the builder and click OK.

For Audio, you will need to use Soundcloud. Upload your audio to Soundcloud, copy the URL they provide. Then,

1) Click Elements, Music, Sound Cloud Player.

2) Move the element to the desired location and left click to drop it.

3) Click Track URL. This will bring up a menu on the right, click Settings and paste the URL where it says "Track URL"

38 Messages

• 

634 Points

7 years ago

As I am linking one video, for some reason why i go to view it on an iPad, when I click on the video to play, it just loads and loads. I notice for some reason at the top of the video it says "1/2", and when I click on it, it is loaded as an "Untitled playlist", with two videos, which are the same, and I have to click on the 2nd video in the playlist to actually get it to play, although it is not in a playlist. This is for all the videos that I have linked to YouTube. It works fine on a pc, but not on a tablet, and causing confusion with users trying to play the linked video. If I click to open it in Youtube, it shows as one video, not in a playlist, and plays fine.

38 Messages

• 

634 Points

I just tested this on an Android tablet, and it is doing the exact same thing.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Have you check phones? Is it all videos? I just saw on on my Android phone on the Varsity football team page and it seemed to play fine. Can you tell me which pages you see this issue on. I am trying to track down and iPad and Android tablet.

38 Messages

• 

634 Points

One last thing....if I am editing the site on my iPad or Android, when I preview the site after saving it, the video control works fine. It's only an issue after I have published the site and try viewing the content on the published site.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Thanks for the info. I have a iPad and Android tablet coming in tomorrow. We'll take a look.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I'm sorry, you didn't answer my previous question. Is it all videos on the site? or specific pages only? Can you provide us with 2 or 3 page names?

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

5 years ago

Why do we have to upload it to youtube or vimeo, is there a choice where we can upload it directly from my video file?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello,

No, through the builder, you can only add videos through Youtube or Vimeo.
There are ways to add it via HTML from other sources, but we would not be able to provide or troubleshoot that code for you.

15 Messages

• 

538 Points

In the old site builder, after our website videos ended, we were able to prevent that screen from appearing -- where a multitude of other videos appear -- after our video is done playing on our website.   Recently, I was told by a Homestead tech, that we aren't able to do that any more.  Sigh.. so, after our video is done playing on our website, we will see a screen with an entire page of other videos that can be played next.  This is SO disappointing and so unprofessional looking for our website videos.  May I ask if there is any updated info on this?  Thank you!  Sincerely, Michele, Jersey Shore
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Unfortunately, that is still true,  this is not something Homestead has control of as this is a feature that YouTube actually added to their platform. I know a lot of other entities have sent feedback about this feature to YouTube but it is on them if they are going to remove it. My apologies. 

4 Messages

• 

150 Points

I actually spent several hours yesterday trying to figure out how to fix this exact issue.  If there is truly no way to upload videos directly from our own video files there is no way I would actually use this feature.  I did try the YouTube route and the video looked great-until it ended!  I'm so glad I previewed my page before publishing it!  It makes my site look very unprofessional and kinda stupid when random (or potentially controversial or inappropriate) videos show up at the end of my clip.  As a business  owner, it is absolutely not worth the risk!  Overall I've been very happy with Homestead/Sitebuilder and would still recommend them as I have had very few issues over almost 10 years with them. 
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Very understandable, I definitely apologize but this is something YouTube would have to decide to remove. You can always convert your videos to HTML and use that on your page or check out the other video option,
Vimeo

4 Messages

• 

174 Points

5 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how to add music to your page.

how to add music to your page?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

You will add music to your site via Soundcloud. This article provides those instructions .

29 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

I am interested in this but did not find the article you reference.  Thanks!
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Fran, 

Here is the article, you will need to scroll down a little bit. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/websitebuilder-add-media-files

29 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Thanks Michelle will look into .... I went to the Soundcloud site before posting my question, but was really wanting to add Itunes since this is the app I used with Sitebuilder.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

You are welcome. We do not have an iTunes connection element to play the music directly from the site but you can still link to it or use HTML player if they provide it. 

61 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

4 years ago

How do you add an MP4 file in Website Builder?
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Hal,

You can add a mp4 by going to elements>files>document> upload file. 

3 Messages

• 

100 Points

I'm trying this with a 4.26 mg mp4 file and nothing is happening, no progress meter.  Is there another way to load it?

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello, 

It is possible that your builder is timed out. Can you save any progress, reload the page, and try again?

61 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

4 years ago

Great, thanks!

61 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

4 years ago

Michelle....it wouldn't upload the MP4 file.    It tried, but then the progress meter just stopped.  I tried three times.   Do you suppose the file is too big?    There are ~30 images in the MP4 file.   Anything else I can try?
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

That file may be too large. The limit is 30MB. 

8 Messages

• 

214 Points

3 years ago

My Sound Cloud link isn't working. I get a "can't find the track message." Help please.

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

I was not able to find the Soundcloud element on the site to test the URL. Please verify the track URL you are adding is still available online and is set to public for use on the site. 

1 Message

• 

60 Points

1 year ago

I added the music and I clicked the "auto play" but the music does not play when I pull up the website?  What do I need to do to make the music auto play instead of clicking it to play?

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Most browsers do not allow auto-play anymore.