Sitebuilder offline and cant get it to connect so I can publish

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have recently downloaded sitebuilder on my Win7 computer, updated a page and saved it. But it wont let me publish the page. The bottom right corner says offline. How do I get it online? When I click publish it says to connect. I click connect and it says I am not online. There does not appear to be a link to tell the program whether I want to work online or offline either. I went to log in thru Firefox and it says I may need to update sitebuilder, I tried that and when I click on the downloaded file it just opens sitebuilder. I really need to publish this page. Help please??
Photo of Lisa0526

Lisa0526

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,718 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The SiteBuilder automatically stays connected unless the actual internet connection breaks, or if there is something such as security software blocking it from connecting. I'm assuming your internet is working fine since you were able to post here, so the next thing to try, is turning of any security software that may be blocking it. Most security software/antivirus programs have a place to white-list certain programs.

Mike
Photo of Jim6699

Jim6699

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sitebuilder is a real pain under win 7, but I guess you all know this and are advocating using the online version, which for many of us long time SB users/customers isn't desirable (our tough luck if we can't/don't comply). I assume the marketing strategy recognizes this and plans some fallout/loss. You will be correct. If these problems are common in Win 7 and now 8 you should lose quite a few people from the old and attract fewer newbies given the number of emerging similar sites. IMO sitebuilder on the client was/is a competitive advantage, especially as the user gets more familiar with it.

Anyway, re this problem report above on 'no connectivity, after completely manually uninstalling (for at least the 3rd time recently I think...including copying local files to preserve the updates recently done but not published) and then reinstall from scratch with many (all?) updates so we can publish again, Now we get this 'can't connect' problem....more wasted time for us.

In any case the response 'turn off any security software' is not acceptable, if you mean it literally, and would be a sad 'support' response.

Can you at least

1) specify the program(s) that must be enabled (to publish pages...) in the firewall settings (rather than shutting security programs off...which I hope wasn't what was intended). I am using Zone Alarm if that matters...

2) tell us if these two problems (required un/reinstall and loss of connectivity) are typical on, or unique to Win 7 and 8 or will they now affect other Windows versions too?

3) perusing some other posts it looks like Intuit is says they won't support the PC SB tool now/much longer? True? Please provide or point to the official position. It will affect our and others short and especially long term decisions.

Sorry about the tome, but this is important to us who are very long term customers (and I assume some others...). You at least owe us good answers on what is the problem(s) and what to expect.

Thanks...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,718 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We certainly don't mean to leave off the security software permanently. That would of course just be a test to confirm if it's blocking the SiteBuilder.

The installation instructions on this page list the files that may have to be added as exceptions to the security software or firewall. https://community.homestead.com/homes...

This could be an issue on any OS, not just Win 7 or 8. This is one of many reasons we have moved to cloud based software.

As fare as future support for the desktop version, there are no plans at this time to do any upgrades to it at this time, but, we do not have any kind of force migration planned either. We are currently undergoing many other changes on the back end since Intuit sold Homestead to EIG, so I don't have any definite time frames for some of these things, as long term decisions have just not been made yet.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.