tom_franco's profile

1 Message

• 

406 Points

Tuesday, October 16th, 2012 4:20 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Edit Page Width/Length

Here are some instructions on adjusting the width and length of your webpges.

Adjusting the width on individual pages:

The default width of each page is 800 pixels. You can adjust the width of each page on your website in the options under Page Settings.
  1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu.

2. Click Edit Site.

3. Click Page Settings in the top toolbar and go to the Background, Links, Footer tab. Adjust the page width for this page only.

4. Once you have edited the page width, Save and Publish your website.

Adjusting the width for all pages at once:

1. Login to your website account.

2. Click Websites Manager link in the left navigation menu.

3. Click Edit Site.

4. Click on the heading icon in the top toolbar.

5. Click Page Settings.

6. Change the page width. When you've finished changing the width, Save and Publish your website.

Adjusting the length of a webpage:

The length of your page is determined automatically based on the size and position of all the objects on your page.

• To make your page shorter, find the element at the bottom of your page, and drag it up with your mouse.

• To make your page longer, find the bottom element and drag it down.

Tip: There's technically no limit to the length and width your page can be, although for design and usability purposes,you should avoid making your pages too wide or too long.

Hope that helps!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Brand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

12 years ago

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Community!

Here are some instructions on adjusting the width and length of your webpges.

Adjusting the width on individual pages:

The default width of each page is 800 pixels. You can adjust the width of each page on your website in the options under Page Settings.
  1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu.

2. Click Edit Site.

3. Click Page Settings in the top toolbar and go to the Background, Links, Footer tab. Adjust the page width for this page only.

4. Once you have edited the page width, Save and Publish your website.

Adjusting the width for all pages at once:

1. Login to your website account.

2. Click Websites Manager link in the left navigation menu.

3. Click Edit Site.

4. Click on the heading icon in the top toolbar.

5. Click Page Settings.

6. Change the page width. When you've finished changing the width, Save and Publish your website.

Adjusting the length of a webpage:

The length of your page is determined automatically based on the size and position of all the objects on your page.

• To make your page shorter, find the element at the bottom of your page, and drag it up with your mouse.

• To make your page longer, find the bottom element and drag it down.

Tip: There's technically no limit to the length and width your page can be, although for design and usability purposes,you should avoid making your pages too wide or too long.

Hope that helps!

Did this answer help? If so, please mark 'good answer' below for other people to find this post. Also like us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about how to grow your business.

1 Message

• 

110 Points

I'm dragging my element as far down as the screen will allow. The page has stopped automatically increasing the length to accommodate my lowest object.

Please help.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Which page are you working on?

Drew

4 Messages

• 

192 Points

I have 6 pages to my website and the whole website shows only about the width of one half page. I have followed the steps outlined above and nothing seems to work. I know I am not doing something that I need to be doing. But , maybe the twentieth time will be the charm. Thank you.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Let us know if you are still having trouble and we'll take a look at it. Let us know which page (s), the problem is with.

4 Messages

• 

192 Points

I really appreciate your comments. I find it hard that so many employees of Homestead have solutions yet Homestead takes my money each month but refuses to help solve the problems people have. Apparently I am not the only one with Homestead that is having so much trouble. You are kind Mike to offer help. It has not helped yet so why this time. Ken

5 Messages

• 

230 Points

11 years ago

The page width did not change

5 Messages

• 

230 Points

11 years ago

The page width did not change...

1 Message

• 

112 Points

11 years ago

How do I make my background longer? I do not want to change it on all of my pages, just one. How would it be possible for me to do this?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Making the page background longer.

1 Message

• 

152 Points

11 years ago

Am I the only one whose site doesn't extend all the way to the edge once fully viewed? I'm tired of paying $23.99 a month for a site that doesn't look professional because of this issue. Is there a way I can reconcile this problem myself?

Viewing my site in full..

80 Messages

• 

15.4K Points

Hi Danielle -

You can make your pages wider so that they fill your entire monitor. However keep in mind that other viewers with smaller monitors may need to scroll left and right to see the entire page.

Please see the steps above for more info.

Thanks,
Aubrey

1 Message

• 

110 Points

I tried to adjust my page length by dragging it down, as it says above to do, but the image doesn't let me grab it to pull it down.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hello Karen 4141,

Try clicking on the image that you wish to move, then immediately look to the lower right hand side in the properties editor. You will see a box that says "Lock position and size". If you un check the box, it will allow you to move or re-size the image.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike

5 Messages

• 

262 Points

This is not what was meant. How can one create a small page that when published opens a small window page? The changes that are described here do not change the size of the page when it is visited. How can that be accomplished. Can anyone help?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Ruben8365, I think you are referring to something different. Are you wanting to create a link, that opens a a page in a new window, but in a smaller size? If so it's possible but requires some custom coding.

10 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

11 years ago

I would like to know why we can't adjust the width using percentages instead of pixels. Usually, a webmistress would tell it to make the page 100% - this way, it fits most monitors/displays. Using the pixel method makes it static and cannot possibly be viewed perfectly by all sizes of displays.

How about it? Give us a %! (This is why I hate templates!)

1 Message

• 

152 Points

11 years ago

What is the best width to set your page to?? I saw that yahoo uses 990 pixel - I heard the average screen is 1024 now - is that true?

1 Message

• 

270 Points

11 years ago

From Homestead employee....."You can make your pages wider so that they fill your entire monitor. However keep in mind that other viewers with smaller monitors may need to scroll left and right to see the entire page."

This is totally unacceptable. I have just recently become aware of how bad my website looks on some monitors. Can anyone think of any professional website you have ever visited where you had to "scroll left and right to see the entire page"?? It looks terrible!

Why can't we just set page width to 100%? Please work on a fix for this. It is the only thing I am unhappy about with my Homestead Website but it makes me want to move on to a different website builder!
Thanks

3 Messages

• 

162 Points

11 years ago

I just got a new computer. I see the website that I have designed now only fits 1/3 of the monitor screen when published. I have the pixel width set to 1005. How can I get this to fit the window better? site is hotdogworld.net

Width of page not filling up monitor screen.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Most of the templates are about 850 to 950 in width. But with today's new wide screen monitors you can generally make the site up to about 1100 or maybe 1200 without making people scroll left and right. I would not recommend going above 1200.

After you increase the width of your page, you'll be able to redesign the page contents and widen all the elements out if you wish.

I hope this helps.

Mike

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

my webpage that I have created is so small on the screen, how to I make it larger and in the center? Please Help!.

My webpage looks so small when I visit the site, how to I enlarge and format it to be in the center?

4 Messages

• 

170 Points

11 years ago

Changing the width does not work. I am spending to much time on things that should be just a minor adjustment. MY PAGE LOOKS RIDICULOUS!!!! Especially advertising i do web design. I am finding another company. This is NUTS!!!

4 Messages

• 

170 Points

11 years ago

I just changed it "0" and even that did not fix the width. The only think I see moving on the page is the footer. Nothing else adjust. WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

I just pulled up your site and on the index page you have the width set to 300px. The width of the page has to be = or > than the widest element on the page or wide enough to accommodate the placement of your elements. Change the width to about 1100 or 1200, keep the contents centered and it will be fine.

Mike

4 Messages

• 

170 Points

I tried that as well but what i don't like is there is so much blank spaces on either side.

4 Messages

• 

170 Points

Okay great!!! MUCH BETTER. Thank you. Still more on the sides that i want but it is much better then before...

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

With a solid black background, the sides will have an infinite black margin that will self adjust to the size if the window/monitor it's being viewed on.

165 Messages

• 

7.5K Points

11 years ago

How do I get the background image to always take up the full screen like the template on the homestead page, http://www.hhicarpetclean.com/ The red border at the top?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Jonathan3164,

It looks like your background image is already set to do that. Did you still need some help, or perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean?

165 Messages

• 

7.5K Points

Thats not my website. I got that on the homestead template page as an example. How do you make a image, or shape automatically fill the page. If you click that website, that border always takes up the entire website, no matter what zoom, or what screen size you are on. So it can't be just set at a certain pixel width. Right now, I have been just using a solid color and setting my width on my websites. But I want to change it to there is a border at the top and bottom that are specific shapes and colors that always fill the screen, and then the other elements stay in the middle? make sense?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

That is usually done with custom CSS code in the head section. Or if you want you could create your own background image and import it under the Page Settings button. The second option might be easier, but, there drawbacks. If you don't make your image large enough it will start to repeat with a tile effect if someone has a large enough screen and expands their browser large enough.

CSS would be the better method but it requires custom code. You might try to search Google for the instructions or maybe find some free code to use.

165 Messages

• 

7.5K Points

Another drawback would be if you make the image too large, then there is scrolling that people will do correct? CSS is the only way to make it so automatically fills the screen huh. Thank you I will look into it.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Correct. You could make the background image about 1200px tall which would fit most screens fine, but if someone scrolls down, then they'll see the line (whatever color it is), repeated at the bottom of the page, so yes, CSS is the most professional way.

11 Messages

• 

382 Points

11 years ago

Background dimensions.

I asked this question previously:
"I'm creating a background image in Adobe Photoshop. How many pixels wide and tall should I make it for Homestead? I am currently using a 1084 pixel width page setting

Mike F. replied to me:

"The width you make it is entirely up to you. There's not a right or wrong size. I usually start my pages at about 1000-1100 px wide. I would not recommend going beyond 1200 for most sites though. People tend to become annoyed if they have to scroll left to right."

I created a background image that was 1084 pixels wide, uploaded it to Homestead as the background, Previewed the page, and it only took up a small amount of space in the top left and then tiled. The rest of the elements that I've placed on that page show normally, and do take up more of the page in the browser.

Am I uploading my 1084 pixels wide background image INCORRECTLY? Perhaps they do not STAY at 1084 pixels wide in Homestead??

Is there some setting anywhere on Homestead that can set this 1084 pixels wide background image that I've created to take up the ENTIRE background?
If so PLEASE tell me exactly where to go on Homestead, what to do, and what to make the settings.

how can my background image be uploaded to take up the entire background, where are these particular settings and WHAT do they need to be set at?

Please help.

Thank you.

2 Messages

• 

180 Points

11 years ago

Hi there!

I read through various posts but am still unable to get the length of page adjust automatically - in some pages the text goes beyond the background! I tried disabling the master page setting but when I do it, it does not let me adjust the page length! What am I missing???

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

My favorite solution to this is to leave the master page enabled, as then you can have the ease of use. On any page that needs lengthening, just add a rectangle to the bottom of your master page background, then match the color. This way you can adjust each page that needs it and you won't have a really long background on a page with less content.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Drew
If this post helps, please give me a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance.

2 Messages

• 

180 Points

This worked! Thank you!!! Now why didn't I think of this before???

One other question though - now that I've got the 1st layer of background sorted, there is the last layer which is actually an image. If I try pulling the image - it gives me issue as above - it does it for all pages and when I disable the master page, it does not let me edit image. I'd like to retain that image as it gives a nice finish to the page - like a hazy border. Thanks in advance for your help! Much appreciated.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

The problem with images is that if you resize them to be larger it will destroy the quality of the image. Either you proportionally enlarge it and it is just plain low quality, or if you make it longer and not wider because the page width has been reached then you get a stretched image. It won't look good.

Drew