homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018 9:00 PM

WebsiteBuilder: Auto-SSL for Pointed Domains

WebsiteBuilder: Auto-SSL for Pointed Domains
If your domain is pointed to Homestead (not registered through Homestead), then you will need to activate the SSL we provide. To do this:

Click on the Domains tab
If it is pointed correctly, you will see "Activate SSL" to the left of your domain options.

Click that link

This will bring you to a page with 4 step instructions
  1. Log in to your domain hosting provider
  2. Locate the DNS management section in your domain hosting control panel. If your domain is pointed via nameservers, you will click "Advanced DNS Settings"
  3. Add an A Record for *your domain* that points to *IP address*
    *This should be done for the "@" record and the "www" record*
  4. Once the 'A record' Has been modified, Click Next.

A message will pop up verifying that the DNS settings are correct and your SSL will be provisioned soon. 

Please wait 24-48 hours for this change to take effect.

165 Messages

• 

7.5K Points

5 years ago

There are 3 A records for the new builder. *, @, and www. Which one do we change?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

@ and www should be changed.

165 Messages

• 

7.5K Points

How long does this take to take effect? I did it last week
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello,
Typically it takes no more than 24 hours.

Did you go back to the "Activate SSL" page after you updated the DNS and click "Next" and get the message that the SSL will be provisioned soon? If not, please go do that now.

165 Messages

• 

7.5K Points

I did. I just did it again, so I'll wait and see.
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

What domain are you working on?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

5 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Our website monarchplastics.com is showing as not secure. How do we secure it?.

Our website monarchplastics.com is showing as not secure.  How do we secure it?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Please follow these instructions to secure your domain

59 Messages

• 

43.3K Points

5 years ago

"A" record changed 4 days ago, but SSL is still not provisioned.  Site in question is saintmarysmission.org
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

After you changed the A records, did you go back to the Activate SSL screen and click "Next" so our system could check for that change?

59 Messages

• 

43.3K Points

yes and got the message that it had been changed., but it doesn't show in the browser.
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

OK, thank you, so you've done everything that needs to be done on your end. I will create a ticket to get this resolved. It should be working within 24 hours.

59 Messages

• 

43.3K Points

thank you. :)
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Happy to help. I'll check it in the morning too, to make sure it updates.

2 Messages

• 

140 Points

5 years ago

I have followed the information above dealing with Pointing the domain and getting secure on my website. When I do the information above this is what I get:::

Sorry, you have experienced an unexpected server error.

You have experienced an unexpected server error. We are working to resolve this problem as quickly as possible. Please try again later.

Don't know what I am doing wrong. 
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello,

At what point are you getting that error? (what are you clicking that directs you to that error message?)

2 Messages

• 

140 Points

I type in at the @ the new numbers a tech person gave me and when I submit it that's what I get. I go to domains, then advanced dns settings. I edit the top one - @ to the numbers I got from a tech person to get it pointed correctly and then submit button twice and then I get that message. 
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Ok, this might have been a temporary error or an issue with the browser. I did not get this error, but was able to update the DNS for you. The SSL will be provisioned soon

17 Messages

• 

534 Points

5 years ago

Elyzabeth is there away to get my domain hosted by Yahoo to show as secure?  Yahoo claims this service is coming but that has not materialized yet.  My domain points to my homestead website.

Thanks,
Rich
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello,

If you have your domain pointing to Homestead Website Builder site but is registered with another company, you can follow the instructions in this article to get your site secure.

17 Messages

• 

534 Points

Hey Elyzabeth I started the process but it appears this is a bit over my head.  I started task 1 and it appears to be ready.  Here are the screens I see on my domain registers page.  Not sure what to do next?

17 Messages

• 

534 Points

17 Messages

• 

534 Points

any help you can provide would be awesome. thanks

Rich
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Rich!

You just need to update the "@" A Record and "www" A record to the IP address from the "Activate SSL" link in your account. I am not familiar with Yahoo's DNS page, but they should have support that can help if you are having trouble getting those added!

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

5 years ago

I built a brand new site with Websitebuilder and redirected my domain name (hosted by Homestead) to point to the new site.  I think i did everything right, but the website is showing "not secured".  Reading this, it seems like SSL should be automatic.  Is there something special I need to do?

Thank  you!
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello Starla,

The SSL typically is automatic, but sometimes it does require a small change on our end to get it working. I have made this change for your domain and the site will show as secure within 24 hours.

4 Messages

• 

172 Points

How do I get me SSL for Party-Animalz.com..... We have been with Homestead for 15 years and I can't seem to figure out how to do it...... Please help ....My traffic has drop to near zero!!! Thanks in advance!!! God Bless and please be safe!!!!

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

To add an SSL to this website it does require using Cloudflare. You can set it up with the instructions in this article. If you have a question on any of the steps or need help walking through it you can call in to support at 1800-710-1998 and an agent can assist with the process. 

https://community.homestead.com/conversations/sitebuilder-plus/can-i-secure-my-homestead-website-with-https/5f2a9b1658180958845a60de

6 Messages

• 

180 Points

5 years ago

I don't see Active SSL?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello,

Your initial site is automatically secure through Homestead, but then you have the domain redirected to a 3rd party URL, which is not secure.

6 Messages

• 

180 Points

5 years ago

Where did the Tech Support Phone Number Go?

3 Messages

• 

170 Points

5 years ago

Elizabeth,

My website keeps trying to get me to have the nameservers pointed to Homestead, but I want to keep the DNS records on my registrar. Can you please help with this? My site is http:///www.jtocomputersolutions.com
I have been a long term customer since you all bought from Intuit.

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

5 years ago

I have the same issue, Don't see Activate SSL on the domain section. 

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Jay, 

You will only see activate SSL if your domain is a pointed domain and you are using WebsiteBuilder. Since your domain is connected to a SItebuilder Plus site you will need to follow these instructions to add the SSL. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/can-i-secure-my-homestead-website-with-https

18 Messages

• 

456 Points

4 years ago

I also do not have the "activate SSL", it was built 100% with website builder. It is a .shop and not sure if that's why? It's been a month and it still says not secure http://prick.shop
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

The reason you do not see the ssl or access to activate it is because Homestead does not host that domain name. It may just be being forwarded to your site URL https://prickshop.homesteadcloud.com/ which we do have and is secured. You can ask go daddy if they have a option to apply a ssl as they currently have control of that domain. 

18 Messages

• 

456 Points

Yes, I could only forward as homestead doesn't support .shop I found out too late. Ok, I'll ask them. They charge though :/
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Unfortunately .shop is not supported by Homestead. You can try using cloudflare, it is a free service and may work with the .shop. If not, applying their ssl might be the only option. 

18 Messages

• 

456 Points

Nothing I try works, I have my domain for my other site working just fine, this one doesn't work. Wish I knew before I bought a .shop domain that homestead didn't support that. I already had cards made with that address.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

I definitely do apologize about that. Did you have issues with cloudflare? 

3 Messages

• 

162 Points

4 years ago

So my page is not showing as secure.

In looking at the instructions, i'm unclear on what to do exactly. I went to my Advanced DNS editing page and I see that I already have a "www" and "@" A Record with an IP address on both of them under the "points to" column. What am I supposed to edit here exactly? Change the IP address that they point to? 

this is regarding www.iglesiahdr.com

Thanks, 
Sam
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Sam, 

These are instructions for a pointed domain name, you would want to refer to https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/websitebuilder-ssl-cnvdqnt2aqgpr.
I have went ahead and completed the changes for you ant he site will be showing secured shortly. 

3 Messages

• 

162 Points

Great thank you Michelle! thanks for the link and the help!
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

No problem, I see it secured already, it should populate on your end also if it hasn't already. https://iglesiahdr.com/

7 Messages

• 

210 Points

4 years ago

I have a pointed website, but I don't see add SSL on the domain management. How can I find out who the domain host is?
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

You can perform a public who is test to see where the domain is registered at. It looks lie this is with 1&1. However, I see your pointed domain is connected to a Sitebuilder plus site and to add a ssl to this site you will want to refer to these instructions. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/can-i-secure-my-homestead-website-with-https

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

4 years ago

www.choniescrew.com no showing secure and I just am having trouble following the above.  I believe you host my site any help here? 
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello,

I have provisioned the SSL for you, the domain will show secure within 24 hours.

5 Messages

• 

110 Points

2 years ago

I pointed the name servers  on Sunday. 

They show correctly at whatsmydns.net

I have correctly associated the domain to my only site 

when I go to publish it still shows me homesteadcloud.com

When I click to activate ssl I get this message "Domain cant be verified as it doesn't exist on builder"

I am sure once I am able to get the domain correctly associated so it will publish to cmepoxy.com hopefully then I can install the ssl

help

cmepoxy.com/

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

I was able to get this domain properly associated to the website. You should be able to publish to the domain and activate the SSL now.