homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Tuesday, July 24th, 2018 11:39 PM

WebsiteBuilder: Text Formatting

WebsiteBuilder: Text Formatting
Sometimes, how text shows up by default is not how you want it to display. If that is the case, you can definitely customize it to fit the look you're going for in your desktop and mobile website.

To program certain text formats:

1) Click on Elements on the left panel and add a text box 

2) Type your text

3) Click on Design on the left panel, click on "Text Style", and choose which text style you wish to program. When you click one, a small menu will appear that lets you edit the Font Size, Font, and Color. 

4) You can program multiple text styles, for example, you see that Body Large and Body Small has been changed in the picture below. This can be used to fix text in your mobile site.

5) Click on the text box, select the drop-down for text style, and choose the format you want (In this example, we chose Body Large). You'll see your text change.

6) If you look in the mobile editor, you can see the change there as well. If that format doesn't work in mobile, but it works in desktop, we can fix that.

7) If you click on the text box in the mobile editor, a menu will pop up on the right. Click on "Style" and turn on the toggle for "Mobile Custom Style" Click Finish.

8) Click on the dropdown for text, and choose the format you saved for smaller text (or whatever you need for your mobile text). You'll see your text change.

Now looking between the two builders, you can see the different formats looking great!

**Note, this fix will only work on text boxes that have not been edited in mobile. 
If this fix does not work, this means the box was previously edited. To fix this, go back into the desktop view, click on that text box, and choose "Clear Formatting"

43 Messages

• 

2.8K Points

6 years ago

I’m not sure why this has not gotten any replies but I certainly find it very interesting because I have been looking around for anything resembling tutorials that I can look at while I grope my way thru adapting to the “new” website-builder format after being a longtime devotee to old SiteBuilder Plus!
...I’ve come a long way (in the space of about two weeks) from my first blundering and excruciatingly painful attempts to make friends with it but I sure wish there were some actual instructions somewhere that I could go to before resorting to calling the techies.
...Oh! I just read somewhere that the best way to cope with the mobile aspect of building a new site is to work back and forth with the desktop version every step of the way. Luckily, I realized that early on and I see now that it is an extremely important rule to follow.
...If anyone can point me to more mini-tutorials like the one above, I would be very grateful!
Thanks!
Susan
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello Susan!

Thank you, I posted this a few weeks ago hoping it would help someone. That tip with the mobile site building along with the desktop is a great thing to learn early on. If you haven't seen these already, here are a couple Youtube tutorial videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5xbyEqz51Npif-TdHSokhw/videos

I hope these can help you as well. We do plan on adding more articles like this one!

43 Messages

• 

2.8K Points

Thanks, they are a great help!

5 Messages

• 

130 Points

@susan1578​ You are definitely right about blundering around without being able to find the exact subject you need when first setting up your website in Website Builder.  I called the techs so much that I was told not to call back - I had called too much.  I wouldn't have had called them if it was easier to find answers to the basic questions I had.  I wish there were a list of the help videos somewhere, so you could choose the one best suited for your need.  Like you, I have found my way around most things, but still struggling with some..  Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

33 Messages

• 

806 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Need some instructions on how to create a mobile site in website builder.

I'm trying to use the customized way to do my mobile site. I'm having issues positioning and re-sizing the text. I need a tutorial on how to use the mobile website software. Where can I find that on the Homestead website?
Thanks.
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

The instructions for text formatting are in this post. There isn't a tutorial that will walk you through how to edit your mobile site. As many posts in Community state, it is easier if you do it as you go, but if you have already built your site, you just need to keep in mind that there are limitations in the mobile builder. You can't layer elements like you did in desktop and some things will need to be edited in the desktop version to display properly in mobile, like pictures. (If they are cropped in mobile, go to the desktop side and change the layout of the picture to fit) It is just a matter of trial and error for what looks best for your site.

42 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

6 years ago

This is absolutely fantastic.  Thank you!  I have known that there was some way to do this, but until today, I just made it work the wrong way.  I have had an issue with how my site looks on tablets, and I have a feeling that following these steps when building text boxes MAY be the answer. 

If you want more traffic on this post, you might consider changing the title to something like:  "How to design your text boxes so your mobile site looks great"  or something like that :)

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

I'm glad you found this helpful

42 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

Not just helpful....Trans-formative!

52 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

5 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled mobile custom style font size.

How do I change font size of paragraph in mobile editor, it makes no sense to have it same size as a pc font. I clicked on cutom style mobile and changed front size but nothing actuallly changed.

2 Messages

• 

222 Points

Help Me Please With The answer If You Got It!
Sice Changing The Text Size As Mentioned Above Is Not Affecting The Font Size At All!! Only able To Change the Colors
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello, 

If you used the express editing bar, which is the first white bar that appears to edit the text size this unfortunately locks the mobile editing option. You will want to readdd the text box using and use the editing options under advanced> style. This will then allow you to edit the mobile text size on the mobile editor. 

31 Messages

• 

586 Points

@michelle_c​ I have been racking my brain why I wasn't able to format my mobile font and came across your answer.  This did the trick!  It will take me a bit of work to readd all of my text, but in the end will be well worth it.  thank you!

25 Messages

• 

610 Points

@michelle_c​ I still can't change the text color, size or font in mobile. I can make it left, right or center but that's it.

32 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

5 years ago

So if i convert my current website to site builder will I lose anything?

32 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

and how do I convert if I can without loss of info
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello,

If you choose to start using Website Builder, you would need to rebuild your site in this program. You would need to create a new website on the account, and start adding content. Once you are done, you can switch your domain over. It is up to you what information you carry over to the new site.

32 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

I like that - so the old one will be there until we make the other one live??  I was not aware of this and started to use the site builder under one of the other domains...can I switch it to the proper domain once it is done?
Another question, since we have a subsidiary company
, can I do up a "website" and then have it linked to the parent company website?
Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Correct, the old site will be up and running until you switch over to the new one.
Yes you can switch the domain when you are done.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I'm understanding that last question. There is not a way to point one website to another. Domains point to a website, and you can add links on your site to another domain if you want.

32 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

hi - I have 3 domains that point to the same website can I have the one domain as it's own sub-website so a website within a website? In other words if I click a link it will connect me to a website, within that one website....I guess it would be called...to me a sub-website

37 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

4 years ago

Odd thing, when I do as described on your You Tube "Editing your Text for Mobile View with Website Builder" Design, text style, and color, it changes the font on the desktop (Sometimes even the color and the size), which is not what is shown in the tutorial. I have done re-adding the text to see if that helps but that didn't work either. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

4 years ago

When editing mobile text use the custom mobile style editing. This will not affect your desktop formatting. Let me know is that helps. 

37 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

Size does not change, only thickness of the text.

37 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

In that I mean, when I change text style, the thickness changes but when I try to change the size, it stays large.

37 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

37 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

When when I go in and do as described in the tutorial, Design, text style, and color,  this is what happens to the text on desktop... Not sure why as in the tutorial you don't see any changes.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

This text box seems to be locked because the express formatting was used and will not allow mobile formatting. I would recommend deleting this text box and re-adding the text box and using the advanced settings to adjust the size, font and color. This will then allow you to edit in mobile.

6 Messages

• 

202 Points

2 years ago

Help! I'm having trouble figuring out how to change the color/font on my PRODUCT page.

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

Hello, 

The font/color on the product page cannot be customized. You can choose a different design for the product page element if you find one you prefer.