WebsiteBuilder: Connect More Than 1 Domain to Site
Note: This article applies only to new Websitebuilder sites.
Homestead Websitebuilder is designed to use only 1 domain. It is possible to use more than 1 domain by following some specific steps.
1) Register or point the primary domain name to the desired site. Please confirm the primary domain is active and working before adding additional domains.
2) In order to add more domains, you must first add a new site. To do so, go to Websites manager and select Add a new site.
Name the new site something unique. The system will alert you if it is already in use.
Do not choose a design when you are returned to the Websites manager page.
3) Now you need support help. Please post your new site name here. I'll need to run a conversion for you to allow the pointing work.
4) Click on the domains tab. You may point or register the additional domains to the new site. After the additional domains have been successfully pointed or registered, you will still need to make some changes. For each domain you will need to go to the domains tab and click on Advanced DNS settings.
5) Click edit and in the A records section click the remove checkbox for the 2 indicated records. In the CNAME section, add the 2 indicated records and then hit Submit.
6) Once the DNS is updated, there is one more step. Change the www subdomain to point to the primary domain name.
7) Click on the domains tab and then click on the edit link to the right of the www subdomain.
8) Click on the radio button to the left of "Other URL" then enter the primary domain name. Finally click save and allow 30 minutes for the domain to begin working.
4 years ago
Thank you so so much for this information and hopefully assisting me in pointing two domains to the same site. The website we currently have is affinifyoregon.com and yesterday I purchased an additional domain name (affinitynorthwest.com) and I would like the affinitynorthwest.com domain to go to the affinityoregon.com website. I followed the first few instructions below and the address of the new site is: affinitynorthwest.homesteadcloud.com. If possible will you please email me to let me know if/when you have run the conversion so that I know when I can proceed with following the next set of steps. My email address is: email@example.com. I am so grateful that this can be done.
I look forward to hearing from you.
4 years ago
You would need to associate the new domain affinitynorthwest.com to any Sitebuilder plus site, which is any website in your account that ends in .homestead.com. Once that is connected you can continue with steps 7 and 8 to forward it to affinityoregon.com and have both domains pull up the same site.
3 years ago
Working on this but the images are so small I can't tell what A records to remove and CNAMEs to add. I don't want to mess it up. I already have an old .homestead.com site to use. Working on connecting shiawasseenews.com (presently pointing to corunnanow.homestead.com) to corunnanow.com (corunna21.homesteadcloud.com). Will you let me know what records to edit and also if you need to do anything before I make those changes. Thanks much.
1 year ago
Hello, I am trying to get one site to point to another, I have an old site www.douglaschargers.org and I want it to redirect to www.douglasbulldogs.org. I have tried to associate it, but if I unassociate the bulldogs site then it wont load.
1 year ago
So this is to set up a 301 permanent redirect, correct?
Can I email someone the second domain name that I want to point to the first site? It says to post it here, but I’d prefer to email it to tech support.
Also, I don’t think there is an access to subdomains now, only to A records and CNames records, so I just delete records for * and www under A records and add them to CNames? Just making sure…