homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 3:36 PM

Account: Create a New Site

Account: Create a New Site

Homestead has a couple different builders that have been used over the years. There was the original Sitebuilder Desktop. That program is limited in it's use, since it is an older program that is less compatible with modern systems. There is Sitebuilder Plus. This is the online version of the Sitebuilder Desktop program. It can only be used on existing sites that are already utilizing the program. Then, there is Website Builder. This is our newest builder that all new sites are created on.

To create a new Website Builder site:

1. Log in to your Homestead account.

2. Click on the Websites Manager tab, then click on Add New Website.
    Note: If you do not see Add New Website, then your account has reached its limit on sites. 2 additional sites can be made available for $2/month

3. Please provide a unique name for the site. This is just a placeholder that your site will be built under until you choose a domain name. Alternatively, you can choose to only use the site name, in which case, your site will work with the .homesteadcloud.com URL.

4. Click Add this Site. If the site name is already in use, you will be prompted to choose a different name.
    You do not enter a domain name in this space.

5. If your name is available, you will be taken back to the Websites Manager page.

6. If you are ready to move on, click Choose Design.

7. Select a category and/or search for keywords. You may also just browse through them by changing pages at the bottom.

8. When you find a template, hover your mouse over that template and click the select button to see a preview.

9. If you like the preview, click Select this Design. If you want to look at more options, select Close.

• At this time, it is not possible to change a template on a site. You would need to create a new site and pick a new template.

10. Clicking Select this Design will now bring you to the editor.

Click here to jump to step 2!

11 Messages

• 

610 Points

8 years ago

This looks great except I do not have the "Add New Website" tab on the Websites Manager page. Ummmm...what's up?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Your site is limited to only 1 website. You can add 2 sites for $2. When you are done building the new site, you can delete the old and we can remove the additional sites.

6 Messages

• 

304 Points

Wow. I am feeling a little used Drew. I cannot upgrade without paying for a second site and I am already be charged more for the limited service. The professionalism and ethics your online service is promoting is discouraging.
Brand User

1K Messages

• 

30K Points

We are sorry but unfortunately we did have to raise the hosting fees this year by $2/month on all accounts to keep in line with rising costs. The starter package has always allowed just one site. The costs associated with building a second site on a starter account have remained unchanged. As always, once you have built the new site, you can delete the old one and we can remove those unnecessary add ons. This assumes that you want the existing site to stay up and running while you build the new one. If you don't want the added expense we can add the new site for you under the new builder and delete the old site right away. You would have no site while you build the new one, but there would be no additional expense either.

1 Message

• 

130 Points

if I have to pay more I'm going somewhere else to get a website

3 Messages

• 

174 Points

I don't mind paying the additional $2 to add a new site and then delete the old one. Do I still use the same domain name as the existing one? Instructions on the Websites Manager is too vague. It only shows that I can edit the existing site, which gets deleted immediately, or It says to Add domains. I really don't want to change my domain name because then I have to get new business cards printed with the new domain name. This is getting a little frustrating. It makes me want to go to a different web service.

7 Messages

• 

248 Points

7 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Access to New Responsive Design Website Builder.

How do I access/download the new responsive design software so I can start rebuilding my site with it ? Thanks.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Jeffrey5147, No need to download anything. Just, create a new site and it will utilize the new builder.

7 Messages

• 

248 Points

Thanks Drew. I will have to take a closer look to see if I have more questions. I  am still a little uncertain how the transition to the new website would work.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Sure thing. All new sites will default to the new builder. On your old site(s), you can continue to use Sitebuilder. The builders will both be active for you, but they can not be used on a site created in the other builder.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

i prefer a blank page bc my site will be really simple, what do I do?

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is not a blank template to choose from initially. It will require selecting one of the templates with content. However, once a template is selected and you are inside the editor you can delete the pre-filled pages and choose to add new blank pages. 

4 Messages

• 

182 Points

7 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Duhhhh?.

I have several sites reserved that I have yet to enliven. However, they each feed into something about alicornservices, the site I've partially developed. I'm not clear about why each site doesn't have it's own labeled feed-in. Jay Halpern

37 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

7 years ago

Is there not a way to start from scratch? I would really love to design my own site.

9 Messages

• 

678 Points

Not having a blank front page option is a serious shortcoming of Website Builder. The free form versatility of the original Homestead product is lost.
Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

If you do not like the designs and would prefer to build completely from scratch, you can delete any content you want after you choose a design. Eliminating the "blank" option stopped customers who are not familiar with design (most of our customers) from choosing that option and then not having any knowledge of how to  format or build their website. Since we mainly cater to small businesses, most of our customer base are not seasoned website builders that can craft a professional website from nothing. It was the best option for the majority of the people using our services.

59 Messages

• 

43.3K Points

7 years ago

Maurice read my response to your other post. But to answer again ... choose a template and simply delete all the elements and you have a blank page.  :)

37 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

I never thought of that. I'll check out your other post...  Thanks a bunch Susan.

59 Messages

• 

43.3K Points

:) You're most welcome.

2 Messages

• 

62 Points

7 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My Edit button on Website Manager page does not have a drop down menu. How do I c....

I want to change templates and start over. The Edit button on my Websites Manager page does not have a drop down menu so I don't see a "change template" option. How do I start over with a new template?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You must create a new site to change the template.

3 Messages

• 

152 Points

7 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Which are the newest templates/designs?.

How do we find the most up to date and newest templates/designs?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Theresa9674, you need to create a new site and it will automatically assign the new Websitebuilder with the newest templates.

4 Messages

• 

182 Points

7 years ago

I went into my website, altered as offered successfully, then could not access several of the listed options: nothing happened in spite of repeated selecting.  Now, I try to contact you and the page just blinks off and on.  What gives?  I'm not a happy camper.  Jay Halpern

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

This question does not appear to be relevant to the posted topic

Please reference the new conversation here: I am having a problem with my account

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I view other templates?.

Is there a way I can view other templates without deleting my own?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You can create a new website so you can look at new templates. You can build the new site while the old stays active. When ready, you can then move the domain to the new site.

4 Messages

• 

282 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Want add a web site for another brand.

New Web site addition/ i have a website gold plus package with Homestead. Recently I created another Brand and want a separate website for it. I have already secured a domain via GoCentral and was going to use them to create a website for the new brand. After the free trial I was unhappy with the limitations of their (GoDaddy) web site builder and want to go to Homestead instead. As I have the Website Gold Plus package, am I able to create another separate web site and how do I point my domain away from to GoCentral or GoDaddy and point to a new site on Homestead. Is there an additional monthly fee to have another web site? Please contact me, I need help.

3 Messages

• 

202 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I view design options before deleting current design? Like to know what's....

I am considering changing our website to a new design, but I would like to view the design options before doing so. How do I do that? When I select Choose another design, the only option I get is Delete and view designs.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You can create a new site to view the designs. Unfortunately you can not convert an existing site to a new design without starting over.

4 Messages

• 

152 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to start using Website Builder?.

I wanted to re-build my website (which was built using SiteBuilder Plus), so I added a temporary domain so that my original could stay running while I build the new one, and under "Domains" it lists them both, and now I don't know how to get into the new Website Builder to edit it!

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You need to create a new site first. Follow the instructions at the top

4 Messages

• 

152 Points

I do not have "Add a New Website." When I go to Domains, I have two different ones. I paid the extra $2 to add a domain (with a $5 startup cost) and they are duplicated when I look them up online. All I see next to "Your Websites" is "Add a Domain."

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Unfortunately, on a starter account you only are allotted one website. You may add extra domain separately, and you may add extra websites separately. We can add the ability for you to create 2 more websites for an additional $2/month. If we add that, you will see the add new website. A domain and a website are 2 separate items.

4 Messages

• 

152 Points

Ok, so where do I go to add another website?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I have added it for you. You should see the Add new Website link now.

1 Message

• 

110 Points

6 years ago

I really, really want to update my site and transfer my domain name over to it. I'm scared of putting in all the work in building an entirely new site and then not being able to transfer my original domain name over (because I do not want .homesteadcloud.com after it!). Will I be able to transfer my EXACT original name since I own it anyway? And is it difficult to transfer over?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You can easily change the site association of the domain to the new site.

1 Message

• 

110 Points

6 years ago

It say's to build a new site you must pick a new name... So if you ultimately want to build a new one, and then delete the old one and use that new one in place of the original, can you then use the original name again? Am I making sense? lol

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Yes Sarah. That name is just a folder name for the system. You will be able to move your domain to the new site whenever you like.

4 Messages

• 

172 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I want to completely change my web page design.

My web site is 8 years old. I want to give it a totally new look. How do I do that without losing what I have until I am finished.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

how do i get started. it takes me to Portfolio and I can't seem to do anything 

1.4K Messages

• 

13.9K Points

@perry8457​ You'll need to add another website using the new websitebuilder program. When you've completed the new site to your satisfaction, you'll be able to activate the new site with your current website address. 

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/U_5WFooKLTY

(edited)