homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Friday, July 27th, 2018 6:18 PM

Fixing the Website Builder 404 error

Fixing the Website Builder 404 error
Some of you might come across the error that can happen with Website Builder sites. It looks like this:

If you see this, have no fear. This is an easy fix.

Step 1: Log out of Website Builder. Everywhere. This fix will not work if the builder is still open anywhere.

Step 2: Log into your Homestead account at homestead.com  and click on Websites Manager

Step 3: Choose the site that is experiencing the error from your list of sites (if you have more than one) and click "Rename"

Step 4: Click the yellow button that says "Check Availability", then click "Save"

Step 5: Go re-publish and enjoy your functional published site!

1 Message

• 

110 Points

5 years ago

Will Homestead be charging another set up fee for the name changes?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello,

No because it is not creating another site, just updating the name of the current one.

10 Messages

• 

292 Points

5 years ago

It works Well Now Thanks

1 Message

• 

142 Points

5 years ago

Doesn't work. You've posted this response everywhere and it just doesn't work.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

5 years ago

Hello David6287, 

Is there something I can help with?

5 Messages

• 

192 Points

5 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Getting a 404 file not found message on new domain..

Getting a 404 file not found message on new domain. http://www.mandalaridgeretreats.com/ Tried to rename home to index. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help/guidance.

5 Messages

• 

150 Points

5 years ago

I am having the same issue on my new page InnovativeRVservice.com, I have followed your instructions at the top of this post and still get the same results. Can you point me in a direction to fix this?
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

I do not see a website built and published yet for the site connected to innovativervservice.com. You will see a page not found until something is published. 

5 Messages

• 

150 Points

Interesting, I made a home page and have published it.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

When you were building, do you know if you were using Sitebuilder plus or the new software, WebsiteBuilder? 

5 Messages

• 

150 Points

Site builder it what it says. Same one I’ve always used.

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Thank you, I see this content built in sitebuilder, is this similar to what you built? 

9 Messages

• 

230 Points

4 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Homesteadcloud domain showing... not the one I have purchased. How do I get my re....

I have just spend months creating a new website for my business... and purchased a domain name to go with it. When I go in to edit I choose the domain which shows as www.nibblesandsipstours.com but when I published it still showed it was publishing as www.nibblesandsipstours.homesteadcloud.com and when I search online I just get an error message for my actual domain. My deadline to have this up and going is tomorrow... how can I fix this? I also want to point my old domain to this new one and don't want to have any issues with that!

4 Messages

• 

166 Points

4 years ago

I just uploaded my new page - rebuilding it using the website builder from using the sitebuilder - and I switched the domain to use the new one.  I don't get a 404 error page, instead I get this : 
www.wayupinalaska.com
This website is hosted and managed by Homestead.
You can build your own website at homestead.com.

how would I go about fixing it ? Thank you :)
Brand User

5 Messages

• 

780 Points

Hello, It looks like your nameservers are pointing to CloudFlare, of which allowed your site to be secure while using SiteBuilder Plus. Below are articles that will take you through what nameservers to update to and how to make sure your site is set to be secure. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Update Nameservers:
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_do_i_point_my_domain_to_homestead_using_nameser...

Make Site Secure:
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/websitebuilder-ssl-cnvdqnt2aqgpr

4 Messages

• 

166 Points

Ok so I went and reset the nameservers to default and then clicked the
Use a Domain You Already Own, put in my wayupinalaska.com - clicked the Use this domain button.  Then it comes back with - This domain is already associated with a website account. 

Does it need 48 hours for the nameservers to take before I can do the use the domain I already own step?
Brand User

5 Messages

• 

780 Points

Hello, Your do not have to do the steps she was talking about since your domain is already on the account. I do see the nameservers update and am able to access "Advanced DNS Settings" under Domains. You should now be able to go to the second link I sent you to make the site secure. Once that is done, it can take 24-48 hours for the internet to pick up and propagate the changes.

9 Messages

• 

230 Points

Can someone please reply directly to my question? I see my post was redirected here but no one bothered to answer me and none of the steps mentioned work.  

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

HELP
Hours of Operation for Live Support
Sales: 1-800-986-0958 (Support can also be contacted via this number)
Support: 1-800-710-1998
Mon-Fri: 6:00am - 5:00pm MST(No DST)
Sat-Sun: Closed

45 Messages

• 

580 Points

4 years ago

Switched my domain to the new site I built in the new Sitebuilder following these instructions https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_can_i_switch_my_domain_to_a_new_site_i_built Now all I get when I go to my site is this: www.fleur-de-irk.comThis website is hosted and managed by Homestead.

You can build your own website at homestead.com.
Tried the fix at the top of this topic - doesn't work.
Urgent help needed!
Brand User

5 Messages

• 

780 Points

Hi, I just posted to your other post as below:

Hello, I see that while your fleur-de-irk.com site was on the older builder that we had you set it up through CloudFlare to be secure. This is not needed with Website Builder and is your is redirecting to a Homestead page. I have updated the pointing and set your site to be secure. Please allow up to 24 hours for the internet to pick up these changes. Please let me know if you have any questions.

45 Messages

• 

580 Points

Yes, thank you. I shall wait till tomorrow and let you know if the problem is not solved

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

4 years ago

Can someone please help me with the 404 error I am getting with the new domain name I purchased through Homestead. It says 404 Page Not Found :(...Oh man looks like you're totally lost. Want to go back to the homepage? 

I have renamed the main page index and tried what the instructions above say to do but my website manager page doesn't give me the option to "rename"; it only says to "add domain" (see screenshot). 

It has been 2 weeks and we still can't get it to work. Please help!

661 Messages

• 

75.4K Points

Renaming a page is done with your website editor. Select Edit Site to arrive at your Website Page Editor. 

HOW TO ADD A PAGE TO YOUR MENU:
You are using SB+?
Open the page you're wanting to add > select the menu > you'll find the Site Navigation Menu Settings on the right side of your screen > Select Links > Select + > Select the file you're wanting to add using Browse > Save your selection > Scroll the the bottom of the Settings menu and name your page and Save.

ADDING A PAGE TO YOUR MENU:
You need to add new pages to your menu? If you don't, they will not be accessible. "Highlight" the site navigation menu by hovering your cursor over the menu and left click one time > The site navigation menu settings are on the right side of your monitor > Select Links > Select "+" > Browse your files and select the page you want to add > select the file and press OK in the command box > Scroll down to the bottom of the settings menu to insert "Page Name" > the new page element will be highlighted on the list > Move the new title to the desired position.
Experiment with the Site Navigation Menu Settings tool. You can adjust font sizes and spacing.

HOW TO DUPLICATE A PAGE:
Select the page you're wanting to duplicate > Select "Save As" rather than "Save" > Record the new page name for the duplicate.

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

This didn't work either. I selected the website editor and opened the page but do not see the site navigation menu on the right, nor do I see any option for links... The URL is still showing up as the original one I started with and it won't allow me to change anything but the page name (see screenshot). 
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello Rob,

I apologize, the rename button is in a slightly different area for this site. It is located under more> rename site. I have corrected this error for you and the site is up and running. 

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

3 years ago

Hey!! Thanks. It worked perfectly.

7 Messages

• 

280 Points

3 years ago

When i follow instructions, i get an error during that process

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

Please call support at 1-800-710-1998 Mon - Fri 6 am - 5 pm MST to get additional and immediate assistance with resolving this error. 

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

3 years ago

I've done this four times and it still isn't working! So frustrating that I can't get my domain to point at the website for some reason.

Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hello, 
If you are having trouble with this, please call 1-800-710-1998 and an agent will be able to assist you. 

8 Messages

• 

212 Points

3 years ago

Alright, I read and tried but still 404

It says, "The domain www.immanuelearlville.org is currently pointing to the website immanuelearlville415

I tried the mentioned fix but no luck

Still 404

Please and Thank You

8 Messages

• 

212 Points

WAIT!  Did somebody put Re-Publish in the description when I wasn't looking?  LOL

Works now.  Thanks

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

This was done correctly and the site is up at https://immanuelearlville.org/.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

3 years ago

I'm trying to figure out how to 'unfollow' this conversation so I'll stop getting emails. :)  I don't see an 'unfollow' button.

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

No problem, you will want to disable the email notifications. Review this article for more helpful information. https://community.homestead.com/conversations/community-announcements/community-unsubscribe-from-community-emails/5f2a9b3a58180958845edc25