homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, July 13th, 2015 4:01 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Downloadable Archive

Sitebuilder Plus: Downloadable Archive

You can create an archive of your site and download it to your computer for backup purposes. The process is simple.

1. Log in to your account at http://www.homestead.com
  2. Click on Websites Manager.(If you have multiple sites, select the one you wish to archive from the drop-down)
  3. Under the Edit site button, click on "More" Then click on Create new site archive file.

4. When the archive has completed(time depends on site size), a Download site archive link will appear under the More link in Websites manager(a refresh of the page may be required) Click this link to download the site and save it to your desired location on your local drive.

5. The archive file is unencrypted and can be opened using an easily obtained program, like 7zip, gzip, or Winrar.
  6. If you have a need to restore some files, you may extract the archive onto your computer and use Sitebuilder Plus' file manager to upload the files. Once uploaded you will need to publish as usual to make the files live. At the time, pages can not be restored. Only images, and other miscellaneous files.

Important Note: Only 1 copy of the archive will be stored on our server. When you create a new archive the old one will be overwritten. After creating a new archive, you should download the archive and save it to your computer. You may save as many archives to your computer as you like, just be sure to keep multiple site versions well marked so you know which you might want to restore.

3 Messages

• 

172 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I retrieve files on our website that we need offsite?.

I may be changing website providers and would like to know how to retrieve files in the File Manager.

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transfer old website photos and information to the new one.

Please tell me how I can retrieve or transfer all of my photos and information from your server/site. I want to use them on my other new revamped website. trying to cut asnd paste is a total waste of time and also this old website most of the info has been made smaller. I am not an IT person so this is quite labor intensive. How can you make it easier?

3 Messages

• 

152 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I get access to my photos from my old sitebuilder site to use in a new we....

Dreading having to recreate my site on the new platform.  Don't have all of the pictures anymore

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Steven8693, This will compress all files on your site, including the images. Once you download to your computer, you can then extract all the files and you will have the images.

3 Messages

• 

152 Points

Thanks, worked great.  Where do I find info on why I would want to go to the new format?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

The new Websitebuilder is quite different, which is why we can't convert sites. But, it automatically makes the site mobile friendly. It has many features our customers have been asking for, like drop down menus and slideshows. The way it generates code is also much cleaner, which the search engines like. It is also where the majority of development is focused, so it will likely progress more quickly. Ultimately, the choice will be yours. You can try it and if you like what you make, your domain can easily be moved to the new site.

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

6 years ago

I tried to archive and download my website data, but it did not download all the latest webpages, as if it downloaded from a previous archive. The archive option looks different also (attached image). I hit the "create new site archive file" then hit the "download site archive" but the downloaded images look
different to the live website. Any ideas?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

6 years ago

Which site are you archiving? What differences do you see? It doesn't look like many pages have been update recently.

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

6 years ago

They haven't because I don't have time.  I started the new version but I would like to down load my images to transfer.  How does one do it.  

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Connie3833, The instructions are shown step by step at the top of this page. This will give you a single compressed file with all your images in it. Once you extract the files they will be available on your hard drive.

9 Messages

• 

274 Points

6 years ago

Hello Drew, The step by step instructions at the top of the screen only apply to websites which were created using the downloadable version of SiteBuilder. As of 2018, When a site is created in SiteBuilder Plus, the cloud based system, no such selections are provided as pictured above. No clear way to back up the website is provided. No clear method of reaching the  FILE MANAGER, is available. And, once you click the "Edit Site" button, you no longer have the web domain on the right side of the screen and therefore no access as once was available.
From now on, it's Very important that people note in their replies, that "AS of the date  Month/Day/Year, such and such works this way.
Information more than a few months old does not work much of the time.
It is clear that Homestead has brought aboard some younger developers who are not as capable or otherwise do not think for their average customer. They change things and alter them causing performance issues and other severe problems. And when they make those changes, they do not provide the change documentation and reasons for the changes.
I think everyone can agree that the missing ability to fine the FILE MANAGER using Sitebuilder Plus Cloud, and the notably terrible downgrade is STAT information that one is left with when they choose to use the Sitebuilder Plus system, are clear examples of Homestead's severe problems with the system.

We've been with Homestead since just after they opened their doors, and were finally sold to their newest owner... And it's clear that although they answer the phones faster, they clearly have major issues resolving fairly simplistic problems.

If you can help resolve the missing File Manager issue, using currently dated information, and showing screenshots from a website built with the SiteBuilder Plus cloud based system, that would be great.
Thanks

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

The downloadable desktop software was replaced by Sitebuilder Plus in 2011. At the end of 2016 we introduced Homestead Websitebuilder, which is an entirely new program and completely unrelated to the older Sitebuilder desktop and Sitebuilder Plus programs.

I have already replied to you in the other topic. There is no file manager in the Websitebuilder at this time. 

The important thing is to understand the different products you are using. These topics are 100% current if you are using Sitebuilder Plus, which it appears you are not.

9 Messages

• 

274 Points

I understand now, SiteBuilder Plus is very different from WebsiteBuilder Cloud (the newest. There must have been a miscommunication when we spoke with tech support and so we always assumed from then on that the new system we downloaded was the Plus...
Based on your screen shots, the forum comments are up to date as you said.
Regarding the HomeStead WebsiteBuilder, in fact it creates much better sites as can be seen from our domain for what is a very historic brand. So we do recommend it. It lacks the STATs capability and the ability to access the file manager/ftp. But otherwise is a very good jump into the ability to capture modern website look and feel.
I hope the current owners can make the additions as they move forward.
thanks for the relies. +++++

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Actually, there are stats, you just have to access them from the editor on the left. You can also integrate Google Analytics into Websitebuilder.

3 Messages

• 

214 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Downloading my website files.

I have tried to download all my website files to my computer and then tried one at a time. Nothing happens.  
 Suggestions?

3 Messages

• 

162 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Save site data for offline viewing.

I want to save the pictures and stories I have created over the years. How do I do that?I would like to have them on my disk drive for offline viewing.For the past several years I have not updated my site.
Brand User

1K Messages

• 

30K Points

This tool will zip up your images and other uploaded files.

Note, if you were editing in Sitebuilder Desktop for majority of your updates, what I would recommend is loading Desktop, click File Manager on the left, then click Upload. After the Upload has been completed, this will upload your content from Desktop into Sitebuilder Plus. At this point, run the site archive tool and download files. Again, this is if you were editing in Desktop. If you were not, you can ignore this.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I copy pictures from my site?.

I've lost my original photos from my hard drive. I want to make copies of the pictures I used on multiple web pages.
Can I download them?
Brand User

1K Messages

• 

30K Points

Follow the steps above for each of your website and that should archive your uploaded files for you to download.

69 Messages

• 

3.1K Points

6 years ago

Is it possible to make a copy of my desktop Sitebuilder and keep it on a memory stick or flash drive in case I have problems with the one on my desktop? Thanks.
Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

You would just need to put the archive we told you about before, on a flash drive. That would be done from your computer. Nothing special needs to be done on our end.

69 Messages

• 

3.1K Points

Thank you, Elyzabeth.  I placed the archive on a flash drive, but when I open it up all I can see are page files -- whereas on my desktop when I click on the Homestead Sitebuilder icon it opens up the sitebuilder so that I can work on pages.  That's what I want on my flash drive as well. What am I not seeing or what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

The archive is just files. The reason you can see them on your desktop is because you have the Sitebuilder program that is able to read them downloaded. You do not and cannot have that program on a flashdrive.

69 Messages

• 

3.1K Points

Oh, so I can't have an extra copy of desktop sitebuilder then in case I have problems with the one on my desktop. I'm having problems with my computer, so if I have to replace it can I download desktop sitebuilder again? Thank you in advance.
Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

Maybe I didn't understand your question. Are you asking if you can have a copy of the program? If so, then no. Just the files. If you have trouble with your computer, the download will still be available but we cannot guarantee how well it will work on a new computer. It is a very old program and is not compatible with operating systems on new computers.

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

5 years ago

I can create and download an archive of my old website, but the option is not available for the new one that was recently made (which points to my domain name https://www.ehlencontracting.com/). Is there any reason for this? Can I create an archive of the new website?
Brand User

10.7K Messages

• 

142.8K Points

This is not a feature of the newer Website Builder.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

5 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I save this page to a flash drive?.

How can I save this page to a flash drive?

69 Messages

• 

3.1K Points

5 years ago

Hi,

Thank you very much for this very informative article. 

I have one question, please. In item No.5 it states:

"The archive file is unencrypted and can be opened using an easily obtained program, like 7zip, gzip, or WinRAR."

Do you recommend any one of these in particular? In other words, which one is the best?

I don't know anything about these programs, but I see that they're downloadable from the Internet. That makes me a little nervous. Are they safe? 

Any relevant advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello,

All site archive downloads are now saved to your computer as zip files so you don't have to choose a specif format. Windows is able to safely open those files without any issues. 

69 Messages

• 

3.1K Points

Thank you very much for your reply, Michelle.

May I ask, can I save my website archive files on a memory stick?

When I normally send files from the computer to a memory stick, an icon stays on the computer. Am I supposed to delete it from the computer, or is it better to have a copy on both the memory stick and the computer? 

Just wondering, thanks. (I'm not very computer literate in case you haven't noticed.)
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

No worries. If you would like to move the back up to a memory stick you can definitely do that also. It is always good to have multiple copies. If you move it to the memory stick and no longer want it on your computer, it is your call if you want to delete it or not. 

69 Messages

• 

3.1K Points

Thank you!!  :o)
Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

You are welcome!

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

3 years ago

This is only for Sitebuilder Plus users?

Brand User

7.6K Messages

• 

106.7K Points

Hello

Yes, these instructions are for Sitebuilder plus sites only.