msl338's profile

33 Messages

• 

642 Points

Friday, November 10th, 2023 2:48 PM

"Save Point" vs "Last Change"

I'm a long-time user of Sitebuilder Plus and yet I'm always, always confused when I see the message titled "Start from Save Point?" (attached). "After you saved, we detected changes..." I can't seem to understand what the system is doing or what it's trying to tell me. I do understand about returning to my (last) save point, but if I make changes to a page and I do NOT save them, how does the system know I made those "last changes?" And if it knows, aren't they then saved? Isn't THAT then the save point it uses to restore my work? Someone, please clarify this muddy language for me! I don't even know what triggers this message—I'm sure it's not random, though. I do sometimes work between my desktop and laptop and I do understand "download published" vs. "keep local copy." Many thanks... MSL

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

33 Messages

• 

642 Points

9 months ago

Did I post this to the wrong forum or tag it incorrectly somehow? Four days and only eight views... and zero comments. I was hoping for some help with my question. Anyone? -MSL

Brand User

10.9K Messages

• 

143.9K Points

8 months ago

Hello, 

I always figured this was a sort of courtesy by the builder if anything was done after the last official save. I think this could be any small thing, even if something was simply clicked on. It may save people if they accidentally closed without saving, but if that isn't you, I would recommend choosing to start from save point since you KNOW you were happy with that version. 

33 Messages

• 

642 Points

8 months ago

THANK YOU for replying! You are my first and only response. I frankly thought others might have had the same question, but I guess I'm pretty much alone with it. GOOD NEWS (for me, at least)——I think I actually figured it out! It pops up when changes are made and published on one machine (a desktop, perhaps) and then the builder program is opened on another such as a laptop.

The "Save Point" in question is the most recent save on the second machine. "Last Changes" refers to the current state of the website from the original (first) machine. If I work (and save and publish) on my desktop and later move to my laptop the question may pop up if there are changes from the desktop that are not on the laptop.

I'm not sure why syncing the files at startup from the published version ("Verifying that your files are up to date...") doesn't take care of this, (perhaps items were saved on the desktop machine but not published?) but I suspect my thinking is at least in the right ballpark on the subject. THANK YOU again for replying! —MSL