homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, February 26th, 2018 10:46 PM

Can I Secure My Homestead Website With HTTPS?

Can I Secure My Homestead Website With HTTPS?
For SITEBUILDER PLUS ONLY. Do not use if you have Website Builder.

If you have a Simplestore using Sitebuilder Plus, DO NOT PROCEED WITH THIS PROCEDURE.
For more information please read this topic
:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/cloudflare-common-cloudflare-issues

Important: When we update the nameservers, it is possible to see some interruption with the website and email as the settings propagate. This is to be expected, but if it has been more than 24 hours, please contact support and we can assist.

*click on images to enlarge*

This topic addresses displaying a "secure" rating in the address bar. Currently your site shows an information icon to the left of your URL. If you click it, the message will say the site is not secure.

If you have a contact form this is important. As soon as you begin filling in a field in the form, the browser will display a more obvious message in the address bar.

To secure your site you will need to update your nameservers using Cloudflare. Below are detailed instructions on correctly configuring this so your website will be secure and your customers will feel more confident providing you their contact information.

1) Go to http://www.cloudflare.com and click on the sign up link.

2) Please enter your email address and password you wish to use for your Cloudflare account. If possible, please do not use an email address connected to your domain.
We strongly recommend you read the term and conditions. To continue you must agree to the terms and conditions by clicking on create account.

3) Enter your domain name and click on Add site

4) Select the FREE plan and click Confirm Plan.

5) Cloud flare will scan your current DNS settings and automatically populate the found DNS records. When the scan is complete, and you see all records present, click continue .

6) Compare the DNS records Cloudflare scanned to your existing DNS records. These can be found in your Homestead account, under Domains > Advanced DNS settings. They should match. If they do, click Continue.

If they don't, you can click on the name or value inside of Cloudflare that is incorrect and edit it. If you need help viewing your current DNS records, please see our topic, How can I view and edit my DNS records using Homestead nameservers.

NOTE: Please make sure to verify that the MX record has been added inside of CloudFlare's DNS settings. If you do not see a record with MX next to it, then we will need to add the MX record.

Click MX in the drop down, then click Name and type @, then Click to configure just right of that box. It will open a new window, please confirm your MX record.
If you are using email with Homestead, for server you will add mx.YOURDOMAIN.com, and for Priority you can put 10. Click save, then click Add Record.

7) Cloudflare will now provide you the new nameservers for your domain. If you do not see your nameservers, proceed to the DNS page inside of Cloudflare, and scroll down until you see Cloudflare Nameservers.

Important: When we update the nameservers, it is possible to see some interruption with the website and email as the settings propagate. This is to be expected, but if it has been more than 24 hours, please contact support and we can assist.

8) Log into your Homestead account and click the domains tab on the left. Under the domain you are working on, click Edit your nameservers. You will need to click delete next to ns3.mdnsservice.com and then change the other 2 nameservers to the ones provided by Cloudflare. You can't change and delete in the same step, so you will need to click edit twice. Click Submit

9) Return to Cloudflare and click done check nameservers.

10) The first part is now completed. Now, please review and confirm that the SSL is set to Flexible and always use HTTPS is turned on. 

11) Over the next 24 hours, try manually typing in your site with https. If it isn't set up yet, you'll get an error page. Just type https://www.yourdomain.com  and when you see your site load with HTTPS, please proceed to the next step.

NOTE: Do not proceed to the next step until you can view your website when using HTTPS (https://www.yourdomain.com) When you see your site load with HTTPS, continue to step #12.

12) Click on the SSL/TLS button at the top and select Edge Certificates. 

13) Scroll down on this page and look for the section entitled "Always use HTTPS" Turn it on. Also scroll to the bottom and find "Automatic HTTPS Rewrites" Turn it on. All other settings you can leave as default.

In a few minutes, your site will show secure.

If your site is not showing fully secure, please go republish your site.

Note: This solution is for Sitebuilder Plus sites only.

2 Messages

• 

170 Points

6 years ago

Hi:
Did the cloudflare nameserver thing yesterday - even after waiting over night did not change to "Secure"
But, big bummer - it messed up my email! Did not receive any after changing nameservers. Changed back to default nameservers and email functional. Unfortunately, lost ~24 h worth of emails tho. 
Think twice before trying this!

Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hello neurodoncorp7941
You followed every step in the instructions within this article and it didn't work after 24 hours? Or did you just change your nameservers?

24 Messages

• 

880 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Free SSL Certificate.

Hi there,

My websites are:

(a) www.onirecruitments.com
(b) www.oniconsultants.net 

I did receive your email regarding my websites not being secure and thus directing me to Cloudflare.

Now, I  admit in all humility that I am not  a Technically sound person such as yourself. 

I clicked right up to what is below, then began to scratch my head in confusion.

I would be extremely grateful if you could guide me step by step from hereon.

With thanks in anticipation of your c-operation,

ANIRUDDHA ROY CHOUDHURY
ONI ENTERPRISES
---------------------------------------------------

This is where I stopped:---------

".....Change your Nameservers

To activate onirecruitments.com you must point your
nameservers (DNS) to Cloudflare. In order to start receiving

all the speed and security benefits of Cloudflare, you’ll need to change
the nameservers
 configured

at your domain registrar to the ones below:

From

ns1.mdnsservice.com

ns2.mdnsservice.com

ns3.mdnsservice.com

To

max.ns.cloudflare.com

Copy

roxy.ns.cloudflare.com

Copy

Remove this nameserver...."

Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hello, this article has the step by step/picture instructions I believe you are looking for.

34 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Need some help Please!.

What does it mean as went to the link sent to me the other day, as didn't see my site being secure yet. It has the following, and need to know do I or don't I have. Makes no sense to me. Please help???????? Status: Website not active (DNS modification pending). Please ensure your website is using the nameservers provided: darwin.ns.cloudflare.com Or irma.ns.cloudflare.com
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hey there Robert4933
This article has step by step instructions with pictures that should help you get Cloudflare set up.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Also, here is an article specifically with instructions for updating your nameservers:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how-do-i-change-the-nameservers-for-my-domain

68 Messages

• 

2K Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cloudflare set up.

I went through the steps but my site still has "not secure" bjwilliamscpa.com

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: So confused...web site builder, site builder, desktop builder.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hi there Barbara6609
Have you double checked all of the steps in this article to make sure everything has been set up properly?

68 Messages

• 

2K Points

68 Messages

• 

2K Points

I now can't login to cloudshare get this error
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

I have not seen that. Maybe try using a different browser or clearing your cache?

8 Messages

• 

240 Points

6 years ago

A Homestead rep walked me through steps 1-11 and told me then to wait 24 hrs before going to the next step. I didn't understand that I needed to wait until the site loaded HTTPS before going to step 12, and so I clicked on the "Always use HTTPS" and "Automatic HTTPS Rewrites" before I should have done so. Now what should I do? My website is Shalompest.com. Please help!

Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

I would recommend turning those settings back off until the site loads HTTPS.

8 Messages

• 

240 Points

I did that--- nothing happened

8 Messages

• 

240 Points

please help!
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

John8936
I would recommend calling in: 800-710-1998

8 Messages

• 

240 Points

I called several times. They just say to wait. Homestead should have done this transition (or whatever you call it)  for all their customers. I didn't study computer tech. This is very wrong to put your customers through this and not even be able to help resolve problems.

2 Messages

• 

144 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I signed for the SSL on Cloudfare and my site still shows as not secure and none ....

E-mail just stopped - I never received an error message.  I followed the trouble shooting steps but it did nto resolve the issue.  My site is still showing as not secure also
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hello Patricia8118
We did see a few instances that Cloudflare did not successfully pull the MX records for email from Homestead. We have updated this article, please revisit step 6 and make sure the MX record is placed in the Cloudflare DNS settings. Then double-check the rest of the settings to make sure nothing was missed.

2 Messages

• 

142 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I got an email from Homestead on the free SSL, is this comining from Homestead?.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hey thompson7836

Yes this email came from Homestead. Here is the article with more instructions.

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

6 years ago

Its been 24 hours and i still do not see the http showing up on my website after going through steps.   racecarlifts.com       I received an email that it is active from cloudflare  Can you check to see if it is correct on your end.   Thanks Don

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cloudfare-https will not work at all.

I cannot get cloudfare https security to work at all on outdoorswithjonnyp.com or redlakeremote.com. I have read all the topics and went through all the steps and tips I can find over two days and several hours. I am a guide and outfitter, not IT. Send me, a guy who struggles with the most basic tech tasks an email on how to fix their problem, what the...!? Even better is clients are not reserving lodging due the nice "not secure warning" Frustrated with it, VERY frustrated with Homestead and the money I pay for the service and I can't get customer service or help while I am losing money in reservations.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hello Jon8151

I'm sorry for your frustration. Looking at your domains, I see you have one domain set up and one domain not set up.

outdoorswithjonnyp.com is showing as secure, but it has an unsecure element on the site. This is the hitcounter, so if you remove that, your site will show fully secure. 

redlakeremoteicefishing.com, I can see you updated the nameservers, but there is no DNS connected to the domain. I would recommend calling in so one of our Web Advisors can walk through this with you.

14 Messages

• 

632 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't sign up with Cloudfare.

Hi!

I received the SSL email. I attempted to sign up, but when I hit the button it tells me someone might be trying to hack my information? I can't proceed with signing up... any ideas?

Thanks,
Lea
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hey Lea0377

The link in our email is safe, it is possible that is just security settings in your email or your browser giving that warning. You can go through the steps in this article instead.

8 Messages

• 

622 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to get SSL cert with a homestead.com website.

I have a website that is set-up as a sub-domain of homestead.com (i.e., I didn't set up/purchase a unique domain for it. Homestead recommends using Cloudfare to convert the site to SSL, but they won't let me proceed using a sub-domain.
Has anyone run into this, and do you know a workaround?
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Hey Jon7735
We cannot get the .homestead.com site names secured with an SSL, through Cloudflare or otherwise. There are two options, choose to use a domain name so you can use Cloudflare, or if you rebuild the site in our newer builder, Website Builder, we were able to get those site names secure (.homesteadcloud.com).

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

6 years ago

I was thinking it said to keep checking your website to make sure the http is on it before going to the next step?  to 12 AND 13 Steps

9 Messages

• 

442 Points

6 years ago

I just tried and it didn't recognize my site. I don't understand this answer. How do I "use a domain name"? And what the heck is involved in rebuilding my site. That sounds perfectly awful.
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Stella5352

Unfortunately, Cloudflare is not an option with your site, because you don't have a domain name. You can either purchase a domain name, (something.com, .net, .org) or you can rebuild your site in our newer builder, Website Builder, because those site names are secure.

68 Messages

• 

2K Points

6 years ago

Are you saying that if we have a website like bjwilliamscpa.com that was created with homestead.com these steps will never work?  If so, I must have missed that in the instructions. I don't understand your answer "use a domain name" either???
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

No, that does not apply to you. That is for customers who are only using site names, and do not have domains.  You HAVE bjwilliamscpa.com, which is a domain name. Other customers only built the site in our system and didn't purchase a domain name, so it displays only as the site name which is something.homestead.com. This is a subdomain of homestead.com and cannot be used through Cloudflare.

68 Messages

• 

2K Points

Ok I still don't have a secure site however : - (
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Well, I would recommend you go back and redo steps 7-10 because those steps walk you through updating the nameservers to the Cloudflare nameservers, which I see has not been done.

68 Messages

• 

2K Points

That's odd because I did go through those steps, but I just redid them. Now do I wait 24 hours before proceeding to the next steps?
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Set the status to Flexible if you haven't, then yes you will need to wait up to 24 hours for that to resolve.

7 Messages

• 

338 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Good afternoon, since I changed the Cloudflare settings I am not getting emails? ....

Good afternoon, since I changed the Cloudflare settings I am not getting emails?  Thanks, Ann
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

We have seen that sometimes Cloudflare doesn't pull over the MX record for email. Please review step 6 to correct this

31 Messages

• 

698 Points

I can't believe someone sat in a meeting at Homestead and co-signed this plan.  I'm not getting e-mails either, so now I have to do another 12 steps, add some kind of pointer so I can now get e-mails.  You folks are going to get sued.  This is seriously bogus.

31 Messages

• 

698 Points

it wants my e-mail server information.  According to Outlook the server is pop.homestead.com  is that right?
Brand User

10.8K Messages

• 

143.2K Points

Needing to have sites secure is not a Homestead decision. It came from somewhere much higher than us. We are just providing you instructions for using a 3rd party program to get this resolved, since the builder you are using is too outdated to support SSL itself. If you are having this issue, I also advise you to review step 6 and put the MX record in. It isn't an additional 12 steps, just redoing one of them. The step has you compare the DNS and if anything is missing, add it in. In your case, it is likely the MX record. Let me know if you have any trouble with that, so we can troubleshoot from there.

31 Messages

• 

698 Points

You told me yesterday that if I rebuilt the site using the online version that wasn't going to fix the problem.  Now you are saying if I do re-save the pages using the new and improved online sitebuilder, it DOES solve the problem. Which is it?

Regardless, I really need some help fixing my e-mail service which has ZERO to do with what version of site building I'm using because that was all done on the website anyway.  

I'm following the instructions ONE AT A TIME, and I'm still not getting e-mails.  Right now I'm out of business until this is resolved.  I am unreachable.