homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 3:22 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Favicon

Sitebuilder Plus: Favicon

It is possible to have a custom icon appear in your visitor's bookmarks. You need to create an .ico file, insert HTML code to reference the .ico file, and add code so visitors can bookmark the site (add to their Favorites).

Note: The .ico file will appear alongside the URL only after a visitor has bookmarked the site. The .ico file will then appear in the address bar and in the list of bookmarks (favorites) next to the title of the site.

Creating the icon:

You will need to use an icon editor to create your icon.(Click here for a FavIcon Generator) The icon editor program can either convert an existing bitmapped image to ico file format, or create an icon with drawing/painting tools.

Follow these guidelines when you create the icon:

• It must be 16x16 pixels in size.

• It must be saved in the ".ico" format.

• It must be saved as favicon.ico.

To import the icon:

1. Login to your website account.

2. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu.

3. Click Edit Site.

4. At the top, click on your domain name or site name. Then, click View File Manager.

5. In File Manager, click Import and upload the .ico file into your root directory.

Adding the HTML reference:

Now you'll need to add the reference to the .ico file so a visitor's browser can call the custom .ico file rather than using the default browser .ico file.

1. Open the "index" page in SiteBuilder and then click on Page Settings in the top toolbar and choose the advanced settings tab. You'll want to add the following code to the head tag section.

For sites without an SSL (http)

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yourdomainname.com/favicon.ico" />

For sites with an SSL (https)

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="https://www.yourdomainname.com/favicon.ico" />

2. Publish your website to have the favicon live.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

7 Messages

• 

202 Points

10 years ago

David9001, I've done as you said but now the address icon is an empty box. Thank you

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Barbara E.9126, One thing to double check is that the .ico file is published from within the File Manager. If the image is published, but you are still having problems, let us know which site you are working on and we'll take a look at it for you.

Mike

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

10 years ago

It would be awesome if Homestead would design a program element to make this more user friendly. I want to add an icon to each page of my website as it appears in "tabs" (homestead has the "h"/house icon in this position of their own website). Am I missing something? Thanks!

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

I agree it would be nice if the Sitebuiilder had an automated way of doing this. It would be a nice enhancement for the future. As of now, the only way is to manually perform the steps above.

Mike

7 Messages

• 

202 Points

Thank you Mike F. I published the .ico file from within the File Manager; saved the page, hit "publish" and hit "all pages". It worked. Thank you so much

7 Messages

• 

202 Points

I might add, this process placed my icon on the web page tab. Wish we could have the icon next to the address on our web page too. so that we can drag it onto our desktops. AND now wondering if there is an easy process for putting the Pnterest button on the webpage too.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Barbara E.9126 , Depending on which browser you are using, the favicon may also show up next to the URL also.

As far as adding a Pinterest button to your site, this page may help. https://community.homestead.com/homes...

7 Messages

• 

202 Points

yes, IE has both but Foxfire has only on the tab. Thanks for the information regarding Pinterest.

2 Messages

• 

150 Points

10 years ago

Me again! I've tried everything you've suggest and here I am... a month later and it's still not working! What gives?? For something so simple I can't seem to understand why it takes so much to get to work?

Can someone PLEASE take a look from your side and tell me what the heck I am doing wrong??

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You never published the ico file. I have done so for you. It should be working shortly.

Drew

3 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

I followed the instructions but my favicon still doesn't show.
What did I do wrong?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You just needed to publish the ico file.  It might take a little while to display.

Drew

3 Messages

• 

132 Points

thanks Drew,
is there a shortcut to make it work on every page?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Unfortunately not.  You just have to place the code on each page.  The path will be the same though, so you don't have to upload the image.

Drew

3 Messages

• 

132 Points

thanks

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

How does one set up an ico file?  All my image files are jpg.  I don't have some kind of advanced editing software.  It would be nice if Homestead picked several of our images already uploaded and gave us options to set this up automatically.  (I believe Wix does this--very helpful for those of us who don't have a lot of techy experience.) Thanks.

4 Messages

• 

192 Points

10 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How to add a favicon to website?.

I am unable to get my favicon to appear on my website tab. I've followed the directions and tried everything. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is the post I've followed:
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_can_i_setup_a_favicon_for_when_my_website_is_bo...

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

These are the correct instructions, but you still need to place the following code in the head section of the index page.

4 Messages

• 

192 Points

Hi Mike,

I've already done that, and it still doesn't show up. I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thanks for your help.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Sueanne4523,  I  just took another look and you don't have it added to the index page.  I do see it on the"appointment-center" page.

I'll add it for you.

Mike

4 Messages

• 

192 Points

Hi Mike,

Great, I see it now! Thanks so much! :)

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You're welcome. Let us know if you need anything else!

Mike

10 Messages

• 

936 Points

10 years ago

It appears I'm looking for help yet again, LOL.  I have the favicon.ico uploaded to my site, with the code in the head section.  Works fine in most browsers and my favicon generally appears.  However, it does not appear if you are looking at my site in Chrome.  Any guidance specific to Chrome?  www.gaminolawoffices.com Thanks!

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Tedia3946,

It seems to be working fine.  In Chrome, you'll see the favicon in the tab, in stead of next to the url.

You may want to come up with a different graphic for your favicon that has less detail in it.  Notice how the Homestead logo and Facebook logo are very simple and much easier to see. 

Let me know if you have other questions.

Mike

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

10 years ago

Please help, I uploaded favicon.ico to root, published it in file manager, and added code:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

to advanced settings of index page. No icon appears. What did I miss?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Hello, I see a favicon in Google Chrome.  What browser are you using?

Thanks

Drew

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

IE 11

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

Yes, thanks Drew, I can see it in Firefox and Chrome, but not in IE 11. I tried clearing cache, but no luck. Maybe reboot?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I have seen IE  take a while to reflect it.  I am seeing it, so perhaps it is somehow part of the cache.  Give it a day or so to see if you see it.

Drew

6 Messages

• 

346 Points

10 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Does anyone know?.

Good afternoon everyone. Does anyone know how to put the logo of your website where it appears when you open a tab on a browser? Thanks in advance ;-)

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi TRAYNITTY4568,   You are referring to what is called a "favicon".  Just follow the steps on this thread above. 

Mike 

4 Messages

• 

140 Points

10 years ago

I added a favcon a few years ago, but wanted to change it. When I just went through all your steps, I was able to get it when I typed the web address in, and, then only one of our URL's works.
Thoughts?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Sorry, I'm not quite understanding. Do you mean that the favicon is only showing up on one page?  If so just make sure you have the correct code copied into the head section on each of the pages. 

Also, all you should need to do is upload the new favicon image file using the same file name so that it overrides the old image file, and publish it again. 

Mike 

4 Messages

• 

140 Points

Hi Mike. We have two url's with you : bccfnaz.org & beachcitiesnaz.org
For some reason the primary (first url we set up) (BCCFNAZ) didn't change, only the second. The new favicon does show up on all the pages for "beachcitiesnaz" 

Any ideas why it wouldn't take for the first?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Hi Timothy4984,

Are you still having this issue?  I see the favicon on both urls.

Thanks

Drew

4 Messages

• 

140 Points

Drew, after you said that, I checked. I usually use Chrome. In Chrome one is still the old favicon. But, I then opened IE and they are good on there. For some reason on Chrome (on my computer) they're not refreshing.

Thanks,

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Have you tried clearing your browser history?  I see the same in Chrome as well. It looks like the B in your Beach Cities

Drew

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

10 years ago

Hi Homestead,

I have been trying to get my favicon working going through all the previous suggestions but its still not popping up. Any help would be awesome.

http://www.projectfactoryfw.com/

Thank you,
Lisandro

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Hi Lisandro,

What browser are you using? I see a favicon in IE 11, Firefox and Chrome.

Drew

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

10 years ago

Drew,
It seems to be working on IE and Firefox, but wont show on my chrome.

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

10 years ago

Drew,

Never mind I see it now. Thank you for your quick response.

Lisandro

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You're welcome

71 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

10 years ago

I just added another favicon to one of my Homestead websites. I had created two before, for other sites I have with Homestead, but wanted to add a third. For some unknown reason, it showed up immediately.

Just sharing that with everyone, because the first two took me a while to figure out, and by the time I was ready to create an additional one - years later - I had to come back and read this thread about how to do it. If I recall, the first two took a day or so to show up, hence my excitement when this one "took" right after I created it and uploaded it.

Thank you for all of the help here, as creating an icon for the first time can be a bit daunting. Not only is the advice here helpful, those of you who are "official" from Homestead have been extremely patient and kind to those of us who were ignorant about favicons.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Hi Emily5008,

I'm glad it worked so easily. Have a great week!

Drew

71 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

Thank you, Drew!

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You're welcome

19 Messages

• 

838 Points

9 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Favicon has changed.

Hi Drew I noticed a few days ago that my homestead Build, Make Create your own website site has my Bank favicon instead of the usual Homestead favicon? Very odd.

Thanks,

Louise

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Here's how to add a favicon

19 Messages

• 

838 Points

Thanks Drew!

1.4K Messages

•