homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 3:22 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Favicon

Sitebuilder Plus: Favicon

It is possible to have a custom icon appear in your visitor's bookmarks. You need to create an .ico file, insert HTML code to reference the .ico file, and add code so visitors can bookmark the site (add to their Favorites).

Note: The .ico file will appear alongside the URL only after a visitor has bookmarked the site. The .ico file will then appear in the address bar and in the list of bookmarks (favorites) next to the title of the site.

Creating the icon:

You will need to use an icon editor to create your icon.(Click here for a FavIcon Generator) The icon editor program can either convert an existing bitmapped image to ico file format, or create an icon with drawing/painting tools.

Follow these guidelines when you create the icon:

• It must be 16x16 pixels in size.

• It must be saved in the ".ico" format.

• It must be saved as favicon.ico.

To import the icon:

1. Login to your website account.

2. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu.

3. Click Edit Site.

4. At the top, click on your domain name or site name. Then, click View File Manager.

5. In File Manager, click Import and upload the .ico file into your root directory.

Adding the HTML reference:

Now you'll need to add the reference to the .ico file so a visitor's browser can call the custom .ico file rather than using the default browser .ico file.

1. Open the "index" page in SiteBuilder and then click on Page Settings in the top toolbar and choose the advanced settings tab. You'll want to add the following code to the head tag section.

For sites without an SSL (http)

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yourdomainname.com/favicon.ico" />

For sites with an SSL (https)

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="https://www.yourdomainname.com/favicon.ico" />

2. Publish your website to have the favicon live.

7 Messages

• 

268 Points

11 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do I display an icon in the web browser tab just like Homestead does?.

How do I display an icon or logo in the web browser tab just like Homestead and other companies do?

3 Messages

• 

166 Points

11 years ago

Can someone from Homestead please give me the steps required to having Homestead create a favicon for me?.

I would like to add a favicon (image in the tab of the browser) for my company's homstead/intuit account. Although I see the link to what the requirements are for this (it's $50 to create, etc.) I don't see an actual link to have it made or to even upload it. All I want is our company's sun in the browser icon. Can someone from Homestead please give me a step by step process so that I can do this?

I also saw online people resizing their images to be .ico and 16x16 pixels - is this necessary to do or will homestead do it for us - since we're already paying $50 to have it created.....

4 Messages

• 

182 Points

11 years ago

How to get logo on tab link the small one?.

at the topic it says homestead and the little house how do i get a logo like that on my site not the house but a logo

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

I see you uploaded a favicon image file, but you have not added the code to the head section yet.

149 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

11 years ago

Mike...Mine is working fine with Explore and FireFox but not with Chrome...any suggestions?

www.csthousing.com

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Clear your cookies and cache, then test it again. It should start working but for some reason I've seen cases where it takes a while. if it works on the other two browsers it should also work in Chrome.

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

11 years ago

use one of those in the header html and replace with your 16px by 16px image link... easy

4 Messages

• 

174 Points

11 years ago

How do I add a flavicon to my site.

where do I add a flavicon?

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

'header' under page settings

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

In Sitebuilder, hit Page settings, then Advanced. There is a box that says header.

3 Messages

• 

152 Points

11 years ago

How do I create a icon for my website so when people shortcut my website it displays my icon?.

7 Messages

• 

206 Points

10 years ago

How can I assign an icon to webpage so that is shows when webpage entered into URL?.

I would like to assign our logo to our webpage so that when people type in my webpage they see the icon in the URL with the page address instead of a blank sheet of paper.

5 Messages

• 

194 Points

10 years ago

How do I replace the little homestead image in the address bar?.

How do I replace the little homestead image in the address bar?

5 Messages

• 

172 Points

10 years ago

I have followed all these instructions exactly, and It still has not worked. Please help

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You need to edit the code in the head section for the correct file name of your .co file. Also, make sure the .ico file is published from within the File Manager.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike

5 Messages

• 

172 Points

Well now it shows up in the preview, but not in the published site. Progress though! Progress!

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Sometimes the live site takes a little time. Check it in a few hours or tomorrow. Also you can try clearing your cookies and cache.

5 Messages

• 

194 Points

10 years ago

I did it and it works when I open http://privateaudio.homestead.com/ which was my original name when I was building the site, but it doesn't work for http://www.myprivateaudio.com/ which is the correct domain name. What should I do?

Also, I have the google verification code in the headers from when I had google manager. Should I put the flavicon code in there to replace the google code or after it or before it?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You don't need to remove the Google code and it won't matter if you place it before or after. Either place is fine.

5 Messages

• 

194 Points

Thank you so much! I love it!

5 Messages

• 

194 Points

10 years ago

Nevermind. It seems to be working now . Thank you

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

You're welcome

9 Messages

• 

402 Points

10 years ago

I can't seem to get mine to show up. I added the ico file to my files and the html. Published and waited. Still not showing up in firefox or IE.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Carrie0732, What is the site name you are working on and we'll take a look at it?

Mike

9 Messages

• 

402 Points

carriehasson76.homestead.com It will be changed once the site is finished, so I hope if it eventually works that doesn't effect it. I tried doing all the tips above, but still nothing.

P.S. I hate that I can't log into Homestead on my tablet or phone!

9 Messages

• 

402 Points

And I would like to change the ico file, but I can't figure out how to delete it. For some reason I don't see the file manager. That could be where my issue is.

9 Messages

• 

402 Points

Never mind the last question. I found it.

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

10 years ago

It is possible to have a custom icon appear in your visitor's bookmarks. You need to create an .ico file, insert HTML code to reference the .ico file, and add code so visitors can bookmark the site (add to their Favorites).

Note: The .ico file will appear alongside the URL only after a visitor has bookmarked the site. The .ico file will then appear in the address bar and in the list of bookmarks (favorites) next to the title of the site.

Creating the icon:

You will need to use an icon editor to create your icon.(Click here for a FavIcon Generator) The icon editor program can either convert an existing bitmapped image to ico file format, or create an icon with drawing/painting tools.

Follow these guidelines when you create the icon:

• It must be 16x16 pixels in size.

• It must be saved in the ".ico" format.

• It must be saved as favicon.ico.

To import the icon:

1. Login to your website account.

2. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu.

3. Click Edit Site.

4. At the top, click on your domain name or sitename. Then, click View File Manager.

5. In File Manager, click Import and upload the .ico file into your root directory.

Adding the HTML reference:

Now you'll need to add the reference to the ico file so a visitor's browser can call the custom .ico file rather than using the default browser .ico file.

1. Open the "index" page in SiteBuilder and then click on Page Settings in the top toolbar and choose the advanced settings tab. You'll want to add the following code to the head tag section.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yourdomainname.com/favicon.ico" />

1. Publish your website to have the favicon live.

7 Messages

• 

202 Points

10 years ago

Add favicon to my website address.

I would like to create a favicon for my webpage address. I've created my photo to 16 x 16 pxls, imported it into my file manager and now would like to know what to do to add it to my website address.