homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 3:22 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Favicon

Sitebuilder Plus: Favicon

It is possible to have a custom icon appear in your visitor's bookmarks. You need to create an .ico file, insert HTML code to reference the .ico file, and add code so visitors can bookmark the site (add to their Favorites).

Note: The .ico file will appear alongside the URL only after a visitor has bookmarked the site. The .ico file will then appear in the address bar and in the list of bookmarks (favorites) next to the title of the site.

Creating the icon:

You will need to use an icon editor to create your icon.(Click here for a FavIcon Generator) The icon editor program can either convert an existing bitmapped image to ico file format, or create an icon with drawing/painting tools.

Follow these guidelines when you create the icon:

• It must be 16x16 pixels in size.

• It must be saved in the ".ico" format.

• It must be saved as favicon.ico.

To import the icon:

1. Login to your website account.

2. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu.

3. Click Edit Site.

4. At the top, click on your domain name or site name. Then, click View File Manager.

5. In File Manager, click Import and upload the .ico file into your root directory.

Adding the HTML reference:

Now you'll need to add the reference to the .ico file so a visitor's browser can call the custom .ico file rather than using the default browser .ico file.

1. Open the "index" page in SiteBuilder and then click on Page Settings in the top toolbar and choose the advanced settings tab. You'll want to add the following code to the head tag section.

For sites without an SSL (http)

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yourdomainname.com/favicon.ico" />

For sites with an SSL (https)

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="https://www.yourdomainname.com/favicon.ico" />

2. Publish your website to have the favicon live.

9 Messages

• 

272 Points

9 years ago

I'm having the same problem. I created the favicon and saved it to the file manager then added the html as suggested

129 Messages

• 

18.9K Points

Is your favicon file published in the file manager? You will see a green check mark and ok if it is.

23 Messages

• 

872 Points

9 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Browser Tab Icon.

How do I get an icon that shows up on the browser tab for my website? When I look at the tabs of different websites I have open, they each have icons (Homestead has its little house - "h" encircled; GMail has its red "M"). I just have an icon of a piece of paper with a folded corner. I also notice I don't have anything show up in the Websites Manager page at homestead.com. I used to - but I think I somehow deleted it. Now it's a grayed-out box with "customized design".
Brand User

1K Messages

• 

30K Points

Hello bookministry,
Please take a look at the article above and see if this helps you out.

23 Messages

• 

872 Points

I wish the person who merged my question with this "favicon" had actually read my question. I don't want a "favicon" - this has NOTHING to do with people bookmarking 

3 Messages

• 

184 Points

9 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled website icon.

Hello

I am wondering how to change the icon that shows on the my websites tab. It is currently a white piece of paper with the corner bent.

Thank you,
Kari

23 Messages

• 

872 Points

Yup - that's my question from 3 weeks ago. I guess no one knows.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

bookministry, You can't change what shows there. The system populates that.

23 Messages

• 

872 Points

O - great. Actually I think I DID change what shows there. For a long time it showed an acceptable icon (can't remember exactly what - something on my index page). One day when I tried logging in a bunch of "Accept" and "Delete" boxes appeared. Since it didn't look like something I needed, I hit "Delete". After that, my browser tab changed to the empty piece of paper and when I look at my "Website Manager" at Homestead, it shows the empty box with "customized design" where it used to show my index page. Unfortunately, I don't know what I deleted and shouldn't have - and I guess Homestead doesn't either.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You're right. I have no idea how you could change that. It typically does populate with your index page. It might on the next refresh.

23 Messages

• 

872 Points

When's the "next refresh" ? It's been this way for about a year if my recollecter is workin'.

1 Message

• 

164 Points

8 years ago

I've tried every piece of advice in this thread to get this thing to work, but now I've given up. What is it that I'm doing wrong here?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

What browser are you using? I see a purple box with FM in it, using Chrome.

3 Messages

• 

144 Points

8 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How I can put my web icon on my web tab?.

How I can put my icon on my web tab...Is showing a blank page

2 Messages

• 

160 Points

8 years ago

Hi I'm hoping someone can help, ive followed the instructions exactly but it doesnt seem to be working for me.
Nick
my page is
www.islandwidebouncenslide.com

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I see it.

3 Messages

• 

162 Points

8 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I Change my Favicon?.

I want to change my favicon but forgot how to do that. It appears I go to Advanced Settings. I have a new picture picked out but does it have to be saved with a specific file name? basically, how do I swap out favicons?

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

You would make the icon first and then name it the same as the old. Use the file manager to delete the old image and then import and publish the new.

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

8 years ago

I did all of this, and mine doesn't seem to be working.  I really wish you guys would integrate this into your software like Wordpress does.  All you do there is upload a regular picture file...  I feel kind of accomplished to have completed these steps, but now that it still doesn't work... Not sure WTD.  

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Kayse8382, Which site?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

7 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Website icon.

How do I get my logo to show as website icon when my page is visited? It just says the name of the company in the tab but there's not icon...

13 Messages

• 

452 Points

7 years ago

Hi! graphic designer here... how do I get this code (made for me from a nice guy at homestead)  from file manager of a site built in site builder to the website builder's site where it belongs ...in their address bar?  <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://test.ipage.com/favicon.ico"; />

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I'm not sure which site you are working on. You have added the image to an ipage account, which will work if you use that as the URL in the code above. What site are you working on?

8 Messages

• 

212 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I add an I.D. image to the screen tab?.

When I go to other web sites there is a small I.D. image on the web site's tab that appears at the top the screen on my computer for that site. How do I add an image so my web site will also have a tab I.D. image?

6 Messages

• 

308 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Dashboard update help please..

I noticed from a recent email that my dashboard looks different and I don't have the ability to add a favicon or other features. I'm using Sitebuilder Plus & here's my example. Thanks http://www.hoomalamalama.com/help.html
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

MANAIA Design, this is because the instructions you were looking at was for a different builder than the one you are using. Here are the instructions for your builder.

6 Messages

• 

308 Points

PS: How do I get that builder?
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

You would add another site in your account and it will automatically be in the new builder.

9 Messages

• 

232 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I add a logo to the tab of the browser?.

I want to add a logo to the tab section of the browser. Like the spot next to where the website is. For example, Facebook has the little F symbol next to Facebook, or Google has a little G on the left corner of the tab. I can't figure out how to add this in.
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hey Tom3248

If you scroll up, you'll see the instructions to add a favicon.

18 Messages

• 

976 Points

6 years ago

Hello. Can someone please see why my favicon won't show? I do see it when I put my url: https://www.majesticventcovers.com/favicon.ico but it's not showing in Chrome or IE. 
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Hey Danni
Your favicon is working on my end. What do you see?

18 Messages

• 

976 Points

Hi again Elyzabeth!  I just see the default icon. I'll try clearing my cache and history and reloading. I'm glad it's working. Do you see my site aligned to the right like that?! That doesn't look good. I thought it was centered. 
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

Oh, no not at all! It is just a part of a screen grab. I see your whole site. I just posted a cut off version!
Brand User

10.6K Messages

• 

141.7K Points

I have a very wide screen so entire screenshots are huge.

18 Messages

• 

976 Points

Oh okay! Thanks for all the help and quick replies as usual! 

5 Messages

• 

270 Points

5 years ago

I know this is a really old thread, but I'm having a hard time getting our Fav icon to show up. I followed all the steps and it's not working for me. Not sure what I missed