Account: Register a Domain
Domain names give your website a recognizable identity on the Internet. Pick one that includes your core keywords in it, such as your business name, type of business, or location. Shorter domains are better than long ones. The domain is part of what makes up a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) such as http:// www .homestead.com. In this case, the domain is homestead.com.
Important: Not all packages include a free domain. If it isn't included in your package, the cost per domain is $2.20/month + $5.00 one-time setup fee.
To register a web address
- Click Domains on the left.
- Check to make sure you're registering a new domain.
- Enter a domain name in the search box and select an extension such as .com or .net.
- You can use numbers and lower-case or upper-case letters, but domains are not case sensitive
- Don't use special characters, such as !, %, or #.
- You can use hyphens in your domain name, but, domains can't begin or end with a hyphen.
- Click Check Availability
- Get your domain
If your domain is not available, choose from one of the following options:
- point or transfer the domain to us instead
- Search again. Enter a new domain name and click Check Availability.
- Use another extension. If other extensions such as .net and .org are available, they'll be listed for you to choose one or more. Only you can decide if you need the extension you searched for or are willing to use another extension. Select one or more other extensions (additional fees may apply). Then, click Get Domain.
- Use a suggested domain. Domains listed under More Suggestions are populated based on your business name, location, and your previous domain search. If you like a domain we suggest and want to use it, select one or more suggestions (additional fees may apply). Then, click Get Domain.
If your domain is available, choose from one of the following options:
- Search again. If you're not sure that's the domain you want to register, click Search Again
- Register the domain. Click Get Domain to continue registration. Other extensions and more suggestions will appear. Select any additional domains (additional fees may apply).
- Confirm Contact Info. To make changes, click in the fields and enter the correct information. Click Save & Continue.
- Review your order. You can unselect any domains or privacy at this time. Domain Privacy is selected by default. To opt-out of Privacy, clear the Yes (Recommended) checkbox.
- You must select at least one domain and select the I agree to the Terms of Service checkbox. Click Submit.
Domain registration can take up to 24 hours.