homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, October 22nd, 2012 6:00 PM

Account: Register a Domain

Account: Register a Domain

Domain names give your website a recognizable identity on the Internet. Pick one that includes your core keywords in it, such as your business name, type of business, or location. Shorter domains are better than long ones. The domain is part of what makes up a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) such as http:// www .homestead.com. In this case, the domain is homestead.com.

Important: Not all packages include a free domain. If it isn't included in your package, the cost per domain is $2.20/month + $5.00 one-time setup fee.

To register a web address

1. Click Domains on the left.

2. Check to make sure you're registering a new domain.

• If you already have a domain listed on your account, click the right arrow to expand Get a New Domain.

• If you don't have a domain, make sure you're using the search box under Get a New Domain.

3. Enter a domain name in the search box and select an extension such as .com or .net.

• You can use numbers and lower-case or upper-case letters, but domains are not case sensitive
      • Don't use special characters, such as !, %, or #.
      • You can use hyphens in your domain name, but, domains can't begin or end with a hyphen.
  4. Click Check Availability

5. Get your domain

If your domain is not available, choose from one of the following options:

• point or transfer the domain to us instead
    • Search again. Enter a new domain name and click Check Availability.
    • Use another extension. If other extensions such as .net and .org are available, they'll be listed for you to choose one or more. Only you can decide if you need the extension you searched for or are willing to use another extension. Select one or more other extensions (additional fees may apply). Then, click Get Domain.

• Use a suggested domain. Domains listed under More Suggestions are populated based on your business name, location, and your previous domain search. If you like a domain we suggest and want to use it, select one or more suggestions (additional fees may apply). Then, click Get Domain.

If your domain is available, choose from one of the following options:

• Search again. If you're not sure that's the domain you want to register, click Search Again
    • Register the domain. Click Get Domain to continue registration. Other extensions and more suggestions will appear. Select any additional domains (additional fees may apply).

1. Confirm Contact Info. To make changes, click in the fields and enter the correct information. Click Save & Continue.

2. Review your order. You can unselect any domains or privacy at this time. Domain Privacy is selected by default. To opt-out of Privacy, clear the Yes (Recommended) checkbox.

3. You must select at least one domain and select the I agree to the Terms of Service checkbox. Click Submit.

Domain registration can take up to 24 hours.

Brand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

12 years ago

Domain names give your website a recognizable identity on the Internet. Pick one that includes your core keywords in it, such as your business name, type of business, or location. Shorter domains are better than long ones. The domain is part of what makes up a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) such as http:// www .homestead.com. In this case, the domain is homestead.com.

Important: Not all packages include a free domain. If it isn't included in your package, the cost per domain is $2.00/month + $5.00 one-time setup fee.

To register a web address

1. Click Domains on the left.

2. Check to make sure you're registering a new domain.

• If you already have a domain listed on your account, click the right arrow to expand Get a New Domain.

• If you don't have a domain, make sure you're using the search box under Get a New Domain.

3. Enter a domain name in the search box and select an extension such as .com or .net.

• You can use numbers and lower-case or upper-case letters, but domains are not case sensitive

• Don't use special characters, such as !, %, or #.

• You can use hyphens in your domain name, but, domains can't begin or end with a hyphen.

4. Click Check Availability

5. Get your domain

6. If your domain is not available, choose from one of the following options:

Note:If your domain is not available but you own the domain with another provider, point or transfer the domain to us instead.

• Search again. Enter a new domain name and click Check Availability.

• Use another extension. If other extensions such as .net and .org are available, they'll be listed for you to choose one or more. Only you can decide if you need the extension you searched for or are willing to use another extension. Select one or more other extensions (additional fees may apply). Then, click Get Domain.

• Use a suggested domain. Domains listed under More Suggestions are populated based on your business name, location, and your previous domain search. If you like a domain we suggest and want to use it, select one or more suggestions (additional fees may apply). Then, click Get Domain.

If your domain is available, choose from one of the following options:

• Search again. If you're not sure that's the domain you want to register, click Search Again

• Register the domain. Click Get Domain to continue registration. Other extensions and more suggestions will appear. Select any additional domains (additional fees may apply).

7. Confirm Contact Info. To make changes, click in the fields and enter the correct information. Click Save & Continue.

8. Review your order. You can unselect any domains or privacy at this time. Domain Privacy is selected by default. To opt out of Privacy, clear the Yes (Recommended) checkbox.

9. You must select at least one domain and select the I agree to the Terms of Service checkbox. Click Submit.

Domain registration can take up to 24 hours.

Hope that helps! 

3 Messages

• 

170 Points

11 years ago

how do I get the URL for my domain?

1 Message

• 

112 Points

11 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
I am trying to set up my domain with a personal link. How do I do that?.

1 Message

• 

112 Points

11 years ago

Would like to own my domain name, how do I go about doing this?

How to I purchase to own my domain name?.

2 Messages

• 

142 Points

11 years ago

Add a domain and get billed for it.

How do I add a domain to my account and put it on my bill?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

I need help.

I want to have a new domain name

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Just follow the steps here. If you have a problem, let us know.

Mike

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

11 years ago

How do I set up my own domain name?.

I don't want to publish without my own domain name for my site's address. How do I set up my domain name?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

Domains.

I need to set up my domain name and do not understand how to do it
can you help

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

Can I get a new domain, still keep the old one, and have them both link to the original site?.

We want to change our company name and along with that our website address.
Is there a way to get a new domain and have it link to our original site?
Will it cost us more money?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

Explain Domain Name.

How do I pick a domain name

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

Setting up a fourth website?.

I have the Business Plus package and have my 3 websites established, but want to set up a fourth website with a specific domain name. How do I purchase a domain name through Homestead so that I can manage it through the Websites Manager as my fourth website?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

Changing my hstrial to my domain name.

How do I get my published site to all appear under my domain instead of the previously hstrial?

782 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

As soon as you register ( or point a domain), you can start using the actual domain name rathter than the hstril name. The hstrial name is just a Homestead subdomain that allows you to access your live site. Once you have your own domain the subdomain will continue to work.

Mike

1 Message

• 

130 Points

i just created a website. I got the email saying successfully registered, but i type my domain in the wed address and it doesn't work.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

It can take up to 48 hours. Do you see it this morning? Did you get the verification email and verify the contact information?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

10 years ago

i need to add a new web address.

how do i add another web address

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

These are the steps to register a new domain

168 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

10 years ago

Homestead in general has been painful to use the last week. Its so slow. Now, when I go to register a new domain, I keep getting "We apologize for the inconvenience - search is currently unavailable. Try again soon"....

Really not happy about this. Spent the entire evening trying to register a new domain, and the error has been coming up. I've tried different computers, and different browsers, so its definitely a homestead issue.

168 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

10 years ago

Still not working. I had to buy the domain on godaddy and point. Also, where is the domain center now? It used to be under "DOMAINS" but now that takes you right into the GET A NEW DOMAIN (that doesnt work)

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Sorry Jonathan T.,

A few people with many sites and domains have reported this. It is a symptom of the data migration. If you need to register a domain or change DNS settings, for the time being you can contact us. If you want, you can open a topic here and I can do it for you. If you don't want to post publicly, there is an option when you create a topic to make it private.

Thanks

Drew

168 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

Drew, will this issue be resolved after the migration? If its only temporary, I will wait until its finished. I just want to make sure I will get the domain center back, and be able to purchase domains.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Yes, you should be able to get back to registering and administering your domains when you have completed migration.

Drew