homestead_faq's profileBrand User

677 Messages

• 

44.6K Points

Monday, September 17th, 2018 6:47 PM

Site Spotlight - mccarthytreefarm.com

http://www.mccarthytreefarm.com/

CAN YOU PROVIDE A DESCRIPTION OF YOUR BUSINESS?

We are a cut your own Christmas Tree Farm with a handmade pottery (by one of the owners), handmade metal ware (made on site by the owner and our blacksmith),handmade gifts, fresh wreaths and centerpieces available in our gift shoppe. We also provide a unique up close experience with a working blacksmith shoppe, a campfire and many photo opportunities including pictures with Santa Claus.

HOW DID YOU GET STARTED IN THIS BUSINESS?

We were looking for an older home with land and came across a house built in 1760with land.  We did not realize at the time it was a Christmas tree farm until right before settlement.  We both love the outdoors and Christmas and decided to keep the farm going.  We renovated the outbuildings, adding the wood shop, the blacksmith shop, gift shoppe and wreath pavilion.  We continue to expand adding or updating things to provide folks with a unique experience while visiting our farm.  We are recently started providing a venue for outdoor weddings and plan to renovate the barn for indoor events.

HOW DO YOU MARKET YOUR BUSINESS?

We primarily market our business via the Internet (social media and websites) as well as word of mouth.

HOW HAS TECHNOLOGY, SUCH AS COMPUTERS AND THE INTERNET, IMPACTED ON HOW YOU CONDUCT BUSINESS?

It has made it easier for folks to find us. The majority of people find us via search.

HOW IMPORTANT IS SOCIAL MEDIA TO YOUR BUSINESS?

extremely

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

6 years ago

This is a good site. Simple in design and well designed. Each page is dedicated to one facet of the business. This makes it easy for visitors to find the page(s) they are most interested in. A few things to consider doing.

1. Your page titles are not bad. They are descriptive of the content of the page, but you could do more. If you would like to influence the search results page, take a look at our topic concerning page titles and descriptions.
  2. Now that Christmas is over, think about focusing your home page on another aspect of your business. Unless people are already planning for next year, you may be able to increase interest in something else, unless you are just closed.
  3. On the pottery page, make it easy for your visitor and make "Facebook" a link to the desired Facebook page.
  4. On the contact page, you say contact us by email, Facebook, or phone. I see the info is on the footer, but consider linking the email to your email address, Facebook to Facebook. Even if you don't link those items, place the phone number under that call to action, in the larger font.
  5. On the animals and playground page, I would consider trying to improve the images. They are ok, but I would try to get them to be a little more consistent in dimensions. It will make the gallery look better if they don't have such a range in the image size.
  6. On you links page, the first link is a darker color than the rest and much easier to read. I would make them all the same caller as the first one. Contrast is very important. You can read more in our topic about adding text to your page.I would also change each of those links to open in a new tab. You are providing great information to your audience, but it is going off site. If you open a new tab, when they close it, they are still on your site.

It's just a few ideas I thought I would share with you. The site is great and thanks again for sharing it with us.