October 28, 2014 - Malware warning on Homestead.com(Resolved)

• Announcement
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Visitors to www.homestead.com are currently receiving a warning in their web browser stating "This site ahead contains malware".  We are confident that this is an error but are investigating the matter. We apologize for the inconvenience and working to get this resolved as soon as possible. We will post updates to this thread as information becomes available. 
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,478 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Pierre0338

Pierre0338

• 404 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled MALWARE ISSUE: SOMEBODY NEEDS TO GET ON THIS PROBLEM!!.

If you go to homestead.com or if you google search for your site and click on it, you get a BIG LOUD RED MALWARE warning.  Homestead, please address this issue promptly!

Photo of Frans8997

Frans8997

• 364 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

In reply to Mike F.

This is NOT only when visiting homestead.com, but effecting ALL my sites.

This is NOT a inconvenience, but cost money. I just sent out a 33K mailing with a link so sign up for a conference. Now I have list cancelations all over the place.

Thank you Homestead!

Photo of Melanie0968

Melanie0968

• 60 Points
If I use google chrome I receive the RED SCREEN, but when I use INTERNET EXPLORER - I can get right into my site, and homestead.com.
Photo of Manny4161

Manny4161

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This is happening on both Firefox as well as Internet explorer....Please get this fixed!
Photo of FRANCES4665

FRANCES4665

• 108 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Malware issues displayed with Homestead.

I use FireFox.  Homestead link goes to Reported Attack Page.  As seen in other posts, I am not alone.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Malaware my sites are only working on Internet Explorer.

Solve it please!!!
Photo of Manny4161

Manny4161

Out of curiosity...One of my websites is working fine, however, the two that I have redirected from GoDaddy are the ones that are having problems... Perhaps that's the link!
Photo of Frans8997

Frans8997

• 364 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled MALWARE reported all over the place.

As well as Homestead.com, as all me other 4 sites became inaccessible, apparently due to some malware detected.
HOMESTEAD, THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM THAT NOW BECAME MINE! PLEASE SOLVE AND REPORT BACK!
Photo of Nicholas6170

Nicholas6170

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Homestead.com is also getting a warning of malware.

All of my homestead websites are getting this malware notice.  Including Homestead.  Wake up Homestead,  I am getting ready to move all my websites and three accounts.  Wake UP!
Photo of Danielle9285

Danielle9285

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Malware warning attached to page.

I have received notice from two different people that while trying to access my we page that they get a notice that malware is attached to my site. I have checked from home computer and laptop and I do not get this error. How can I remove such malware from my website?

Here is a copy of the error:
Photo of dtotten2974

dtotten2974

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Not happy. Please fix this!!
Photo of Property1183

Property1183

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Google Adwords Suspended due to Malware.

I got this mail from Google just now

"We wanted to alert you that one of your sites violates our advertising policies. Therefore, we won't be able to run any of your ads that link to that site, and any new ads pointing to that site will also be disapproved.

Here's what you can do to fix your site and hopefully get your ad running again:

1. Make the necessary changes to your site that currently violates our policies:

Display URL: XXXX

Policy violation: Malicious content"

What can I do as I rely on adwords for my business
Photo of Troy4973

Troy4973

I'm in the exact same situation you are. Without adwords I'm shut down for the day. Who do you think will compensate us for this?  No one...
Photo of Elise0531

Elise0531

me too currently talked with add words and they told me to call intuit to fix it, they intuit are aware of the problem and say its fixed but add words wants me to fix, what the hell
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Elise0531,    This issue has been resolved for a few hours.  Also, I'm not sure why anyone would tell you to contact Intuit.  Was that someone at Google?  Homestead has not been affiliated with Intuit for a very long time.  If you have an ad-words campaign you'll need to discuss any problems with Google. 

Miek 
Photo of Emily5008

Emily5008

• 936 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Every one of my Homestead websites is experiencing issues..

The font sizes are huge, text covers photos, others are complaining about malware and blocked sites, and when I tried to comment here, I got a big red warning message, too! This just happened, this morning. We are in the US, EST zone. I am using Firefox, and the problem is not isolated to my computer, OR my Homestead websites. I have read that a lot of us are experiencing issues.
Photo of Michael2506

Michael2506

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled malware warning.

This message comes up when I visit the homestead webpage, when I try to log in web mail and also when I try to visit my own homestead hosted webpage ( which doesn't look very professional to my clients ) what is going on?
Photo of David6871

David6871

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Malware warning using any Google product..

Malware warning blocks access to any homestead website, including ours. Very problematic. Please address this issue. 10-28-2014 7:45a est
Photo of Tony7994

Tony7994

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Okay whats going on?????? My site says its infected!.

Photo of James0975

James0975

I am also receiving the malware warning on all of my pages, www.aquaair.net and www.browardtrailer.net 
This needs to be addressed immediately as I have a link on an email I just sent to over 500 customers for boat show directions.
Very bad timing...
Photo of volunteers9138

volunteers9138

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
:( Same here. I emailed support - couldn't get through on the phone. And the Automated "issues" message said all is well! Please let us know the status of this issue.
Same here. We need to get more timely updates. Say every 15 minutes!
Photo of josuevizcay5478

josuevizcay5478

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled malware warning.

Paying more for losing money being blocked by Google with Malware warning 

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: October 27, 2014 - Homestead Price Increase Announcement.
Photo of Abi0468

Abi0468

• 62 Points
Please update on progress and how long until the problem will be resolved.
Photo of Earl5534

Earl5534

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Getting more details from Google - 

What is the current listing status for www.homestead.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 2631 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2014-10-27, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2014-10-27.

This site was hosted on 3 network(s) including AS21894 (HOMESTEAD)AS19905 (NEUSTAR-AS6)AS15169 (GOOGLE).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, www.homestead.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

Photo of Earl5534

Earl5534

Further...

What happened when Google visited sites hosted on this network?

Of the 244301 site(s) we tested on this network over the past 90 days, 68 site(s), including, for example, hrirentals.com/prosites-hri.homestead.com/,wintercenter.homestead.com/, served content that resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

The last time Google tested a site on this network was on 2014-10-27, and the last time suspicious content was found was on 2014-10-27.

Has this network hosted sites acting as intermediaries for further malware distribution?

Over the past 90 days, this network has not hosted any sites that appeared to function as intermediaries for the infection of any other sites.

Has this network hosted sites that have distributed malware?

Yes, this network has hosted sites that have distributed malicious software in the past 90 days. We found 1 site(s), including, for example, nzdusd.biz/, that infected 2 other site(s), including, for example, magia-mebeli.ru/where-buy.ru/.

Photo of Earl5534

Earl5534

What is the current listing status for nzdusd.biz?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 1 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2014-10-23, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2014-10-23.

This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS21894 (HOMESTEAD)AS19905 (NEUSTAR-AS6).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, nzdusd.biz did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 2 domain(s), including magia-mebeli.ru/where-buy.ru/.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Photo of Diane4419

Diane4419

• 60 Points

Here is message received from Google about our Homestead website:   Got this warning from Google and the Homestead page has been infected by a virus. I tried to access the "posts" and that page is the one: Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for www.homestead.com

What is the current listing

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

October 28, 2014 - 9:00am MST

We are making progress toward a resolution and have confirmed that our main site www.homestead.com is not infected.  We believe the cause of this to have originated from a single customer website. At this time we are working diligently with Google to find the source of this site in order to restore service to normal.  We have found that most customers are able to access their sites using the Firefox browser. It appears at this time the Chrome browser is still blocking customer sites. 

10am MST: UPDATE
We believe we have identified the problem and are implementing a fix at this time. We hope to have confirmation and a fix completed soon. 

11:35 am MST: 
We have already pushed out the fix for this issue and we are now awaiting Google to confirm and lift the warning message that you are all seeing. Unfortunately we don't have the ability to lift that message even though the problem has been fixed. 

(Edited)
Photo of Earl5534

Earl5534

nzdusd.biz?
Photo of James0975

James0975

Unfortunately that doesn't help us. We have no way of telling our customers what browser to use. This incident will be very damaging to my company's reputation
Photo of David0589

David0589

• 574 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for raising cost to us long time customers and in return causing me more problems! Once again Homestead is helping me to lose money and new clients. Clients don't care about anything but placing an order, and guess what, they can't!  I just sent out 100,000 piece mailer and am getting tons of calls about "I Can't get on your website"   Thank you again
Photo of Ed8789

Ed8789

• 70 Points
Time for us long time users to go to wordpress or Joomla and GODADDY. Homestead is a joke any more.
Photo of Troy4973

Troy4973

I have been using Homestead for over 7 years and have had very few problems. I'm upset that I'm loosing money right now due to this issue and would love to be compensated but I am a little more realistic than that and understand that every business has problems. Homestead is very reliable as far I'm concerned and the only issues I've had have been site builder related.
Photo of Ed8789

Ed8789

• 70 Points
This is killing my schools fund raiser. Our haunted house site has been on Homestead for a long time,. I've been with homestead for years. Not only is this bad timing, but homestead is in dire need of a an update to its' site builder. It's an outdated system, time to get better layouts and features added.

Get this malware ting taken care of, we are losing money. Then update you site builder...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Ed8789, We are making progress and it looks like we are close to getting this resolved. (this is not a SiteBuilder related issue)  For right now, you should be able to access your website with the Firefox browser if that helps. 
Photo of Manny4161

Manny4161

Hi Mike- I have 3 sites through Homestead. My original one Manofineart.com works fine however, the ones that I transferred from GoDaddy are not...Perhaps this may be a clue? Please look into this-  In addition, The problem exists with both IE as well as FireFox
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

• 3,296 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
This sort of thing can happen to anyone, so don't get so hostile.  If you were using Wordpress or anything else you could also run into an occasional problem.
Photo of Peter0895

Peter0895

• 1,656 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Google Adwords Suspended.

I just got an email from Adwords indicating full suspension of my active ads. It has indicated this is due to the Malware issue and I suspect I am not the only one. I did follow their instructions into Webmaster Tools and have confirmed no Malware on my site.......... AKA: The suspension is due to the link to Homestead in our headers.

Question is........ will Homestead be addressing this directly with Google in order to resolve it for ALL Homestead customers. ORRRrrr do all of us have to take care of this issue via resubmitting our sites to Google...... I feel the former is how it should be taken care of as it will address everyone affected.

Thank you
Peter
Photo of Laura9770

Laura9770

• 70 Points

Hello Peter0895:

Can you now access your site through Google Chrome? and if so how do you clear it with Google to get up and running again!

Laura

Photo of Peter0895

Peter0895

• 1,656 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have no issues accessing my own site via Firefox. I don't have Chrome. My issue is with Adwords being turned off by Google. I'll take a wild guess...... anyone affected by this issue and using Adwords......... Adwords will be suspended.

I seek Homestead's input regarding this issue and if they will be taking care of it directly with Google, which would be the most efficient way for all parties..... less Homestead of course. It would be easiest for Google and for us site owners.
Photo of Laura9770

Laura9770

• 70 Points
Thank you!  I appreciate you getting back to me. I was concerned over people who do have Chrome trying to access my site to register for a contest and Expo I am putting on. I just sent an announcement on my Event pages through Social Media.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.