WTH Happened

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

I can barely sit still. I continue to twitch and squirm, crossing the right leg and then the one that is left. I feel like I could cast off sparks that would break windows 7, 8 or 9. .
. or maybe I will just reorganize the Icons on my desktop – WTH Happened.

I haven’t had this kind of rush since switching from a dial-up modem – I had thought the Korean Government hacked our site and then we came on just about the time that Korea lost their Internet privileges – I have to wonder about that ?

I checked if Homestead was working again and it was – I thought maybe Santa had come early, so I checked to see if we now had Drop-Down Menus and Other Wanted Goodies under the tree – then I lost my rush and fell back to the ground - and then I heard a voice that said "Maybe Next Year" so I felt a little better again.

I hope that Santa has Drew on his ‘Good & Bad List’ and Drew hasn’t bankrupted our Fearless Website Leader with the amount of over-time he has done in this last month.

I would like to wish my fellow web-developers a Wonderful Merry Christmas and Happy, and Successful 2015 New Year - Hugh

Photo of Hugh

Hugh

• 1,138 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • Elated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 65,672 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Amen!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
LOL Hugh - A Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.
Photo of Keith

Keith

• 2,172 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
DITTO
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I was so excited I forgot to add that my account is up and running for the first time in a month. WOW
Photo of Dianamarie9257

Dianamarie9257

• 424 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Merry Christmas to you as well
Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

• 3,412 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
So happy to hear others are getting back up and running.. I honestly had tears of joy this morning, I could log in & publish ( with minor issues ) and survived the migration with my sanity intact..  VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to us all!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

It's a Christmas miracle! Glad you are back up and able to work Victoria. Have a wonderful Christmas.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am happy to hear some of you are back up and running. Hugh, this was strictly a back end upgrade. It will add speed and security to all sites. It will also be a superior platform, from which we can upgrade all services.

I will be taking Christmas Day off. I'm going to be away for a few hours now as well.

Merry Christmas all

Drew
Photo of Victor4384

Victor4384

• 1,282 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Here!  Here!  And a Very Merry Christmas to ALL and to ALL a Good Night!  Maybe 2015 will be the year that I finally drop SiteBuilder Desktop and move on to SiteBuilder Plus!

Vic out
Photo of Hugh

Hugh

Hi Victor

I am glad you are up and running - however the Plus came first with little options and later on we got the version Desktop that you can do more with. I used to always get mixed up between the two.

When you login every time - what is the last requirement that you are asked to do - Does it ask you to <Down-Load> or do you just go to the <Web Manager Tab> on the left site and then go to a <Drop-Down Menu> for the site you want to edit ???

Hugh

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Actually Hugh SiteBuilder Desktop came first, then they tossed in SiteBuilder Lite which is a very watered down online version and was intended (unsuccessfully) to attract Mac users and to allow users to make simple edits from computers that didn't have the Desktop program loaded. Plus, also an online only version, was added when Intuit bought out Homestead.
If they ever do away with the SB Desktop I'm switching from web design to underwater basket weaving. :)
Happy Holiday!
Sue
Photo of Hugh

Hugh

Hi Victor and Sue

Thanks - I have been on since Justin worked out of his garage (and he worked at one of the companies - he never said where) back in 96 or 97 and I had a site up for a non-profit which at that time was free. Then he contacted everyone and said he wanted to buy some more hardware and move the operation into a commercial spot and gave us a deal we couldn't pass up.

But I use SB Desktop as it has more features and I forgot about Lite and yes I believe that Homestead supports more HTML-Code and CSS features than any other similar website program where you do not have to code but have the option if you do wanted to and I really do not know where I would go.

A friend of mine went to VistaPrint just about 6 months after then launched it and I have run a program that gives all the times that his site was unavailable to visitors, and it was about every other day for a month for about 3-4 hours (daytime) and did the same test on mine and I was up 99.99% of the time (they do not give 100% rating)

Sorry about the confusion - but Sue has a better memory then me - lol

CU 

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

It's easy to get confused Hugh, there have been so many changes not just in ownership, but also in the programs. I didn't even mention Quick Sites because that would have just muddled the mix!
That's really interesting about VistaPrint - please tell me your friend has moved out of there!
Photo of Victor4384

Victor4384

Do you guys remember Prodigy, MySpace, and Geocities?  I used to think 9600 baud rate was really fast!  I used to be bleeding edge, for now I'll just settle for mediocre edge but consistent and reliable.  Vic out
Photo of Victor4384

Victor4384

And for the record...my website (http://wildbunchhollywood.homestead.com/) never went down, and I've never had any problems updating it or revising it.  Homestead ROCKS!
Photo of Hugh

Hugh

Hi Victor - Nice Site and I like what you did with the scrolling pics. As for not going down, I take it you only have one or a few sites. Drew came on early in the outage to say that those reporting on the forum being affected all had a large number of sites so that maybe the reason yours stayed up.

Merry Christmas - Hugh

Photo of Hugh

Hugh

Hi Susan

No he didn't move - we have allot of things around computers that we argue about. He is a Mac used and I am a PC.

I started working with Tabulating Equipment (wired panels and card board cards with holes in them - lol) and Main-frames in both I didn't work with a team and it was up to me to complete the report.

He started with a company that had a team to do a project (coding) but they always kept everyone in the dark, separate locations and having them do the same area of the project every time.

So we argued about the Homestead vs. VistaPrint one day and the next day we didn't talk about it. That was about 4-months ago, we are very good friends but I guess it is an unwritten (or verbal) rule that we do not talk about it.

Hugh 

Photo of Victor4384

Victor4384

Hi Hugh,  actually I have over a dozen websites and two separate accounts.  I hate to admit to it, but both of those accounts are solely based on the Sitebuilder Desktop version only.  I know that the Sitebuilder Lite and Sitebuilder Plus are the way to go but I have a tendency to drag my feet when it comes to adopting new technology.  I'm still using Windows XP SP3, if that gives you any insight.  Merry Christmas Hugh.  Sincerely, Victor
Photo of Keith

Keith

Hi Victor4384
I don't mean to butt in but.....
I am a seasoned Computer Service Tech with 22+ years experience.
Because you said, you are still using Windows XP are you aware that Microsoft is no longer doing security updates for Windows XP users?
What this means is......hackers can see what you are doing on line and can eventually take over your computer, where you will have NO control of it!

May I suggest you save yourself some headache and grief and don't buy anything on line with a credit card as everything your doing can be seen by others!

For your own safety DO NOT do on line banking either, because the hackers can see what your typing and may steal all your hard earned money! :-(
Why? Because your operating system (XP SP3) is NOT secure anymore, thanks to Microsoft refusing to create anymore security updates for it!

Sorry for the bad news.
Merry Christmas...
Peace
Keith
Photo of Victor4384

Victor4384

Hi Keith for the valuable input.  Quite frankly it scares me to death!  But what can I do?  I still use legacy software that does not work in anything past XP.  I can't get it to work in Vista either.  So what I do is, use XP for my legacy software and I dual boot it neosmart BCD and do all my online purchasing through Vista 64.  Is this adequate?  I try to follow the teachings of Steve Gibson but I will listen to any advice that seems reasonable.  Thanks again Keith!
Photo of Keith

Keith

Your very welcome Victor4384:
Vista 64 will be secure until Jan 2017 according to Microsoft, then it will be dead in the water as Microsoft is killing updates for that operating system as well! :-(

Make sure you maintain good Virus protection such as the free version of AVG or AVAST! And make sure your Firewall is up!

I also recommend you have the FREE versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware & Super Anti-Spyware, both will update, but you must run them manually to get rid of the spyware, because they are free! (always do a custom install, that way you can control how it is installed, and you don't want the trial versions) These programs will find and allow you to delete spyware from your computer!

What spyware is? Spyware can collect almost any type of data, including personal information like Internet surfing habits, user log-ins, and bank or credit account information, via you typing that information using your keyboard!

Spyware can also interfere with user control of a computer by installing additional software or redirecting Web Browsers.

Some spyware can change computer settings, which can result in slow Internet connection speeds, unauthorized changes in browser settings, or changes to software settings, the side effect of spyware is SLOWNESS!

The rule of thumb is....get rid of the spyware and your computer will speed up! :-)
They are both great programs! :-)    

Microsoft says Windows 7 will be good until January 2020, then they will quit making security updates for it as well.

Peace
Keith

Photo of Victor4384

Victor4384

Thanks Keith,

It's good to know that what I've got is still giving me some form of security...at least until 2017.  Maybe by then, we'll all be out of the recession and business will again be thriving and I could afford to buy some new...really expensive software!  In the mean time I do have AVG and I use something called Spybot Search and Destroy.  I don't really care for McAffee, but I am looking into NOD32, any insight into either of those two?

Peace on Earth and Good Will to All Men

Victor
Photo of Keith

Keith

Your welcome Victor
Don't use 2 virus protections or they will cancel each other out and neither will protect you! :-(

Along time ago, I use to use Spybot Search & Destroy, but I don't like it anymore, because it asks to many questions that my customers can't answer.
Because if they choose the wrong answer, they usually can't do something they want to do, like play a game or even get on line, so I don't use it for that reason.

As far as NOD32 I know what it is, but I have never used it.

According to Wikipedia: The acronym NOD stands for Nemocnica na Okraji Disku ("Hospital at the end of the disk"), a pun related to the Czechoslovak medical drama series Nemocnice na kraji města (Hospital at the End of the City).
The first version of NOD32 - called NOD-ICE - was a DOS-based program. It was created in 1987 by Miroslav Trnka and Peter Paško at the time when computer viruses started to become increasingly prevalent on PCs running DOS.

Due to the limitations of the OS however (lack of multitasking among others) it didn't feature any on-demand/on-access protection nor most of the other features of the current versions. Besides the virus scanning and cleaning functionality it only featured heuristic analysis. With the increasing popularity of the Windows environment, advent of 32-bit CPUs, a shift on the PC market and increasing popularity of the Internet came the need for a completely different antivirus approach as well.

Thus the original program has been rewritten from scratch and has been given the "NOD32" name both to emphasize the radical shift from the previous version and also its Windows (and 32-bit CPU) compatibility.

Sincerely Keith
(Edited)
Photo of Victor4384

Victor4384

THANKS AGAIN KEITH!  READING BETWEEN THE LINES I THINK I HAVE MADE MY DECISION ABOUT NOD32.  I ONLY GAVE IT A THOUGHT BECAUSE IT WAS ONE OF THE SPONSERS FOR LEO LAPORTE.  I SUPPOSE IF I REALLY WANTED TO AVOID ANY VIRUSES I WOULD JUST GO BACK TO USING A MAC...BUT I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN GET MY LEGACY SOFTWARE TO WORK ON THEIR OS.
Photo of Keith

Keith

Your welcome Victor
Peace
Keith

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.