Wishing The Old SiteBuilder Was Still Around and Pull-Down Menus

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

My contract is coming due for renewal next week. I've been using Homestead for a few years and I'm generally happy with it. I don't "do" code so it's perfect for someone like me. I do find myself longing for two things. The first is the old version of Sitebuilder. I was able to have multiple web site pages open at one time and I could jump between pages to update my content.  The second is pull-down menu design options. I know there was a lot of talk about this a long time ago and I think we were told of a workaround which was a bit too complex for me.

Any chance of going back to a version of Sitebuilder similar to the one available 5 years ago? I presume the Plus was intended to work better but I'm not sure I see it that way. And I would still love pull-down menu design options. It would make my two web sites look cleaner from the home page.
Photo of Aubrie4741

Aubrie4741

• 386 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Aubrie,
Boy I'm with you on the desktop version vs Plus. You should still be able to use the desktop - Drew should be back tomorrow and can perhaps help you get back to desktop. Drop down menus though are still something that has to be done by adding code.
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

• 1,036 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Drop down menus and any other substantive upgrades will NEVER HAPPEN again because the original coding was performed in a discontinued version of Java. They don't have programmers anymore who can change code, other than a little bit of delete or move commands. When Microsoft dropped Java code in 2007 +-, that doomed Sitebuilder Desktop.

Everyone hoped Intuit would put some money into Sitebuilder Desktop and re-program but that didn't happen.That is why no upgrades at all in last 5 years and never will be any substantive upgrades. It is physically impossible.

They only keep Sitebuilder Desktop alive hoping that attrition will get enough people off of it to make it cost effective to pull the plug. Their real problem with dropping the program is to many professionals have multiple websites under the original contract, which is a lifetime contract. It would be a class action suit costing them millions of dollars. The only thing cast in stone is that once enough old timers drop Sitebuilder Desktop and move on to more current programs, Endurance will pull the plug one day, count on it.

Please Homestead, as I have asked before, please tell everyone that I am wrong.
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 5,960 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Wow Emery

I am going to stick around and retire and die then. BTW it is "too many people" ...I think? Sorry : )
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

LOL Martin I'm on the same track. I figure I'm good for another 10 years at this so hope the 'old timers' hold on that long.
Photo of Martin

Martin

Goodnight Susan!

Thanks for everything.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

G'Night to you as well. :)
Photo of Martin

Martin

See what I mean? : )
Photo of Martin

Martin

I just "re booted" one of my many machines on Sitebullder desktop and tried to make it crash by switching several pictures and text.

So far so good, I think it is fixed?
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

@ Martin. Yes, I should have used the word too. Thank you for pointing that out. Typing error on my part. and BTW, in your post, hicup should be spelled hiccup. :)

Just for humor, the preposition to refers to a place, direction, or position. To is also used before the verb in an infinitive. The adverb too means "also" or "excessively." Two refers to the number 2.

In my post about why Sitebuilder Desktop will never be updated substantively again, for purposes of definition, old timers  is defined as those of us with contracts dated prior the sale of Homestead to Intuit in 2007. Actually, Intuit was always a part owner, they financed / staked in large part the original website for the original owner Justin.

To further clarify, Homestead used too, but not since Intuit took control, gave subscribers an option to purchase a Lifetime Subscription for unlimited websites. I bought this option and keep my confirming emails in a safe deposit box just in case this thing ever goes to court, which I believe it may one day. 

FYI, there are emails floating around on the Internet from two former programmers at Homestead (back in the Justin days of ownership) that explained this situation with Java coding well. I am not sufficiently skilled to understand the particulars but outdated Java coding that is no longer supported by Microsoft is supposedly the root condition that prevents upgrades. The Microsoft factor is why Sitebuilder Desktop was never available on Apple computers, as I understand it. An employee confirmed the internet postings by the ex employees one time with me on the telephone. Wish I had recorded that conversation. I don't remember the details of the java coding problem but that is where the root issues are at. Bottom line, it is cost prohibitive for Endurance to drop money into re programming the original Sitebuilder Desktop version.

Unfortunately for all of us "old timers" (and I do hope you understood the context of the message because I was not referring to a persons' life span but rather the lifespan of the contract ~ which ceases upon a person dropping their account) we know the program so well that it is out of our comfort zone to learn a new one. At least for me it is.

Personally, I have always liked the Sitebuilder Desktop program, and I am just an Intermediate level user. IMO, the Sitebuilder Plus program being pushed sucks and has no future once the newbies fully understand its limitations or move beyond its' capabilities. Coming back to Sitebuilder Desktop, I enjoyed the days long ago when Homestead seemed to take great pride in being #1 and on the leading edge of WYSWIG website builders. Do you remember the blogs and antics of Justin when he would broadcast his successes in finding a new element to add to the site builder? Those days are over. Now all the magazines rate Homestead at the bottom, if at all. No advertising any more, at least any to speak of.  Just a sad situation all around. And for those of us who are loyal to Homestead, it is almost becoming a liability to explain to a prospect that we will be using Homestead because after they do their own Google searches, they come back and ask why.

If Justin, the original owner were still around, and the company profitable, you can bet drop down menus and a decent picture element  and a master page template would have been programmed long ago. I guess we all should say a brief prayer thanking Endurance for not dropping the Homestead program.

In closing, I would ask that Homestead rebut this post and advise everyone that I am wrong. I would rescind my opinions in a heart beat and offer a full apology for any misstatements. I may have some of the particulars wrong but the big picture is intact, there will be no further substantive upgrades to Sitebuilder Desktop.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark7241

Mark7241

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the walk down memory lane.  I started with Homestead in 2003 and just finished migrating the last of my sites last night to a new service.  Was just cruising the forums to find out how to archive what I had and then how to finally cancel the service for good.  HS was great in the old days and brought me a long way but they just stopped while the internet world kept on moving.  Best wishes to all.
Photo of Martin

Martin

Just FYI the old Sitebuilder has been working really good for me lately.  Had one hicup yesterday.....not bad considering I had one screen up with several tabs open in Explorer, another screen open in Firefox, Sitebuilder going and was listening to Pandora all at the same time on one machine! HAHAHAHAHA!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Long live the Desktop version! I've been working on a new site for a client who is on Plus, spent the whole day and have one page sorta finished. Could have had the whole site done using desktop. Plus is just twitchy.
Photo of Martin

Martin

My replys always end up somewhere other than I thought they would.

Oh well, the format of this forum sucks even.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

It works like this: if you Reply then your post is going to show up under whatever you are replying to. If you Comment then it shows up like a new post. You crack me up.
Photo of Martin

Martin

I know how it works, just saying it is hard to follow, especially for new visitors.

MDB
Photo of Aubrie4741

Aubrie4741

Well, crud. Guess I opened a can of worms and am not happy with what I found there. When I started using Plus, I got rid of my desktop version. I just got used to toggling between pages and now it's harder to move around. The fact that we will never have the option for drop-downs as part of easy peasy design is troubling. I don't have so many pages on my two sites that it's a huge issue but I know they would both look better and be more user friendly if I had drop-down capability. I would hate to start over with another company. I do my web site stuff on my dime and my time since it is all nonprofit oriented. 

For the sake of argument, if I did move to another host which provides web site design software for Dummies (like me), any recommendations? I'd be interested in something menu-driven I can figure out like I did with the original Sitebuilder.
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

Building a website is pretty basic. The protocol is to make decisions in three areas. 1. Who will you register the domain name with. 2. Who will be your hosting company. 3. What program will you use to build the pages. Each question has a group of sub questions, depending on your needs. Homestead is a one stop shop and can be the answer to all three questions.

I'm not sure if Homestead will let the following stay up but here is additional comment about each of the three questions. Please remember that I am not a "professional" developer so this is a laymans take and is what I have done.

1. lots of places to register a domain name. Cost is usually the determining factor.

2. the hosting company is a little more complicated. What is their email policy quantity of email addresses and storage capabilities, do they support a store, how long do they archive your stuff, can they function within a cloud based system and most important, how dependable and stable is their server(s) and is there live support.

3. the program you use to develop the pages within your website is less complicated. Select a program that can save php type files, that way the saved pages are not proprietary and you own and can import export your files. You can not do that with Homestead. Copy and paste each page contents is the only way to go from a Homestead account to a new site. Almost all Internet based 1 stop shop wyswig websites are that way. There are several well known WYSWIG web site builder programs. The top of the line and industrial grade is probably Dreamweaver and the most expensive at about 4 to 5 hundred dollars. At the bottom of the cost is a powerful program called wyswig 10.0, published by Pablo Software. It can probably do 80% of what Dreamweaver can do at $60.00 to $80 in cost. There are probably others. Is it a WYSWIG program is the key question.

In summary, once you get past the one stop shop mode of thinking, it's a piece of cake. FYI, I use Homestead Desktop Sitebuilder on my remaining 11 existing sites and now use the WYSWIG 10.0 program for new sites. I had to have drop down menus in a wyswig format because I do not know how to use html coding so I had to do something. It was hard decision. Hope this answers your question somewhat. BTW, to all, I will not be offended if better ideas are provided or corrections are necessary.

Assuming that homestead wants sitebuilder desktop websites to go away, I am in hopes they will leave this posting up as a means to help expedite that process.
Photo of Aubrie4741

Aubrie4741

Emery, that is actually very helpful. I have been thinking in "one stop shop" ways and having you break it down makes sense. The Pablo software runs $50. I may look into that. If I can use software other than Sitebuilder Plus to revamp my sites and just have them hosted by Homestead (with them handling my domain privacy) I may go that route. I guess I never even considered that option.

I know it will take a lot of work but if the end result is something that looks  more clean and  more organized, that's what I'm after.  Thank you for your input.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.