Windows 10 will not let me launch

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I upgraded to Windows 10 and can not launch sitebuilder. This is terrible! What do I do. THis is going to ruin me!!!
Photo of Landa Coldiron

Landa Coldiron

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 65,662 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Use Sitebuilder Plus. You'll have no problem.
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

• 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have the same problem so I started with Sitebuilder Plus.
I can't find out how to insert a link!!!
HannaK
(Edited)
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

You can link an Image: Select the image > Use Image Setting Menu > Link > You can browse and select the link element of you can Copy the link URL address and insert it into the link command box.
You Can Link Text: Highlite the text and follow the same procedure.
You can use the same procedure to add items to your menus.
(Edited)
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Thanks for your answer, I do not see image setting Menu nor link command box
I have only page settings
HannaK
(Edited)
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

When you select the image, the Image setting menu will appear on the right side of the monitor. 
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hanna / Landa.. Desktop sitebuilder has been around since late 1990's and through all the changes microsoft have made to their operating system, Homestead has managed to keep the desktop version running. Windows 10 was not an upgrade, it was a completely rebuilt OS so I am not surprised Windows 10 has caused a glitch...LIke all new microsoft launches there will, no doubt, be a service disk from icrosoft in the near future to fix all the holes that have come to light.  The cloud based, online Sitebuilder + is the future and as a big fan of the old desktop version from 2000  I was reluctant to make a change, but a year on and I wouldn't want to go back to the old desktop version BUT!!!!! there are a few differences that you will have to learn, but nothing major I assure you. I am sure Mieleman and others from the "old" era will agree. Do any of you have a programme from the win95 era that still works perfectly on windows 10? I doubt there are many.

There are solutions already on the forum concerning the problems that customers have encountered with windows 10 along with solutions that seem to work for people. Scroll to the top of this page, click on the windows 10 link and see if your problem has been solved already.

Make the leap and move your websites into the 21st Centuary.  ( one word of caution, IF you decide to go the online Sitebuilder+ route you will have to diescard the old desktop version as the two do not work well side by side)... Hope it all works out for the best for you both.
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sitebuilder Plus is the newer program and will work better for you, but if you want to try working with desktop, please check out this topic,https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/windows-10-and-sitebuilder-desktop
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Thanks Brian, thanks Drew I try my best but still looks like a long way to bring the program working fine. Publishing: it asks me again and again to kill pop-up which I have done before I started using this editor. It saves sometimes and sometimes not (I check it in the old computer)
I go on - ready to learn hope it will work in the end. I have patience and time (as i am only 70 years old) and use Homestead for 20 years.
Hanna
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There should be a way to permanently add the exception in your browser.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Hang in there Hanna, Im only a couple of years behind you and our generation understands Patience is a virtue.. Which browser are you using?
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Thanks Brian - Chrome of course 
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

HI Hanna . This link shows how to change Chrome's settings to allow certain websites past the pop up blocker as Drew mentioned. See if it helps.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en-GB
I must admit despite Chrome being the leading browser there seem to be quite a few hiccups with it.. personally I use Firefox and standard Google and not had any of the problems I have seen on this forum... maybe coincidence
(Edited)
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Hi Brian. Thanks for helping. I tried this and let only Homestead pop up - but I still have on my other computer good old XP so I stick with Desktop Editor, as I can't use both. I hope Plus will get better (or Chrome Win10) I heard from friends that it won't work well with many programs. 
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Oh I agree Hanna, Ive been playing with computers since mid nineties from win 95, through most of the OS... and without a shadow of doubt XP was, in my opinion, the best and most stable created... took a while to move over to Wn 8 and then 10. As for chrome, I fail to see its popularity with the problems its seems to cause with quite a few programmes. Technology!!!!! Nothing is a s constant as Change...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.