Windows 10 Upgrade

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving

Well, I just noticed your announcement about postponing our Windows 10 update but too late. I've upgraded and now the Homestead desktop app does not work. Please advise ASAP if there will be a fix soon.  Thank you!
Photo of Karl7440

Karl7440

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

We have one fix that has been working the few times we have tested, if you can try it out. Try installing J# from the links below. If when you install it, Microsoft says it's already installed, there should be a repair option. Try running the repair and it should fix the issue.

32-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downlo... 
64-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downlo... 
(Edited)
Photo of c3388

c3388

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Didnt work for me
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I upgraded to Win10 on July 29 and everything but Homestead site builder works. I un-installed and re-installed it.  Still will not load - has a not responding run-out bar.  Tried William S' link re installing j# and repairing.  I did not have it installed so that is not a solution for me. May we please have an update on what to do about Win10 Upgrade. I have not seen any announcement about this. Where would one go to find unexpected announcements? I need a 'poke'.       
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

I have done a clean install four times now....hope springs eternal ;o)  Made sure I have a browser open so I'm connected while I do this. I got a 404 error once (problem retrieving an install file) and that's  why I tried again. Last two times It now seems to install fine but quits halfway through opening the site builder just like the first try after the Win10 upgrade. The green bar flashes so fast I can't read the text what the problem is. Could be 'site builder not responding'.
Sure hope you have a solution, Drew.
Thank you.   

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try launching the control panel and going to Programs, then to Turn Windows features on or off, on the left side. You should see .NET 3.5at the top of the list, but scroll if you need to. Make sure that box is checked and make sure the 2 sub boxes are checked too.
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

Thanks for getting back so quickly.  The .Net 3.5 and two sub boxes were not ticked so I ticked them and restarted my PC to be sure that it took. However, it still will not launch. I finally have been able to read the message - 'the site builder exe has stopped working. Contact Drew.' ;o)   I will try whatever you say.
Thank you .  

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Lilian5811, Now try to repair the Micorsoft J#
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

If they links above do not work for you, try this one. It is an earlier version of J#

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4712
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

I downloaded the j#2.0 from the above William S link for my 64bit.
When I tried to install - it says:
"Not compatible with the product you wish to install. To uninstall the product click the links below" - which included the download link and the support page. "You must uninstall these applications in the required order before continuing set-up."
I sure don't want to uninstall Net 3.5 that came with win10 unless you tell me to as how could I get 3.0 back?  Net 3.5  says it includes both .Net 2.0 and 3.0.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try my link for J# right above this. It is actually a different version of J# than the second edition one you previously downloaded
Photo of Edgar6303

Edgar6303

• 568 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
My recovery of SiteBuilder hinged on turning on the .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 options under .NET 3.5, which were mysteriously turned off during the Win 10 installation AND installing the id=4712 version of the vjredist program cited above by Drew. It is not clear that everyone has .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 turned off during Win 10 installation, but it is worth checking to be sure. If the vjredist version you are using does not offer you the Repair option, you have the wrong version. I was able to run Repair successfully even though my computer under its Win 10 settings display for Apps showed I had deleted the program.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Edgar6303,

Great summary! In fact my upgrade from 8.1 to 10 did NOT turn off the .NET 3.5, but that same machine did disable .NET 3.5 when upgrading from 8 to 8.1, so it is really confusing as to when it does and does not. I believe that we will need to build a comprehensive guide of "what ifs" for installs and upgrades. We are still working on all the tests, and are somewhat limited by the speed at which our machines are being allowed to make the move. We will do our best as quickly as possible.
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

Thanks Drew.  I did that and chose the repair option. It did its thing.  I tried to launch the site-builder and it didn't launch. I then restarted my PC and it still didn't launch.
Photo of Edgar6303

Edgar6303

Did you activate the two options under .NET 3.5?

Search - Control Panel - Control Panel Desktop App - Turn Windows Features On or Off - [Click + by .Net 3.5] - [Check both boxes under .Net 3.5]
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

Yes - all three boxes are ticked. I just tried to launch again and it won't.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

What is happening when you try to launch? Does it just flash on the screen and vanish, or do you see some type of error message now?
Photo of Edgar6303

Edgar6303

Lilian, were the two boxes under .NET 3.5 ticked prior to running Repair for vjredist (version ID=4712)?

My upgrade was from Win 7 to Win 10. My first attempt to run a more recent version of vjredist ended in an instruction to uninstall the J# 2.0 program, which I did. J# 2.0 disappeared from the apps listed in Control Panel, etc.; however, rerunning the same version of vjredist kept ending in the same instruction to remove the supposedly already removed J# 2.0. When I later ran the 2006 version of vjredist (ID=4712), I got a Repair option for the first time in spite of having "removed" J# 2.0, and the Repair executed completely. Thereafter, SiteBuilder came back to life.

Like you I started with SiteBuilder over 15 years ago when the service was free, and very much dreaded working without it. I hope you have the same good fortune I did in finding a solution to the current problem.
Photo of Edgar6303

Edgar6303

Lilian, were the two boxes under .NET 3.5 ticked prior to running Repair for vjredist (version ID=4712)?

My upgrade was from Win 7 to Win 10. My first attempt to run a more recent version of vjredist ended in an instruction to uninstall the J# 2.0 program, which I did. J# 2.0 disappeared from the apps listed in Control Panel, etc.; however, rerunning the same version of vjredist kept ending in the same instruction to remove the supposedly already removed J# 2.0. When I later ran the 2006 version of vjredist (ID=4712), I got a Repair option for the first time in spite of having "removed" J# 2.0, and the Repair executed completely. Thereafter, SiteBuilder came back to life.

Like you I started with SiteBuilder over 15 years ago when the service was free, and very much dreaded working without it. I hope you have the same good fortune I did in finding a solution to the current problem.
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

Reply to Drew,  It just flashes a green bar for 2 seconds in a little window and disappears again. The window says  LPX sitebuilder launcher exe has stopped working,
Reply to Edgar: The two boxes under .Net 3.5 were ticked.  Win 10 had left them blank in the upgrade. Drew had told me to tick them so that is why they were enabled when I ran the repair afterwards. I also upgraded from Win7. I started with Homestead in 2005 but it was never free by then. It was 19.99 a month for me and raised to 23.99 when Intuit took over. Thanks for your input.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Let's do this one more time Lillian. Do the clean install of Sitebuilder,  but after uninstalling and deleting the folders, then keep those .NET boxes ticked, repair J# again. Reboot and then reinstall Sitebuilder. If that doesn't fix it, then we may need to arrange a remote session to take a look around. What Windows did you upgrade from?
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

Okay Drew I shall do that and get back to you with the results. 
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

I have now completed as you instructed.
I re-installed the site builder with the exe file I have had for a couple of years in my download folder.  (too old?? )  As it started I got a 404 error message.
 "File download error. There was a problem retrieving one of the install files.Please contact support with the following info.
File: http//install.homestead.com/~site/Install Files/lpxdnlive/BEGIN
Error:404"
I closed the message.  I decided to try it again. This time the installer gave me a window that said ...an install was already started- do you want to continue that or start a NEW install. I clicked new install. It then starts and shows a normal animated install graphic with the files moving from box to PC. It looks perfectly normal. Then it flashes the green liquid bar to launch it and disappears, as has been the case all along.  I'm wondering - Should I go to your Homestead site and get a new download exe file?  If you need to do a remote session with me, that is fine. I'm in Vancouver,BC - PDT.     
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Yes, You'll unfortunately have to uninstall and delete the folders again, but then log in to Homestead and go to Websites manager. There you can click on download Sitebuilder
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

Okay,  I uninstalled again. The new download exe file installed normally.  No error messages. But the same thing is happening. The launcher quits on start up.     
Photo of William S

William S

Hello Lilian,

We might need to do some additional troubleshooting with you to get this to work. Can you make a new private post so I can try and help you with getting this to work?
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

Okay Thanks. How do I make the New post private?  .
Photo of William S

William S

Just make a new post, not as a reply here, and it will give you an option. If not I can make it private.
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

I made a private post. Subj. Win 10- Site builder won't Launch - I think . I can't find the post now.
Photo of William S

William S

I'm not seeing it either. Try making it again.
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

Okay. Will do now.
Photo of Lilian5811

Lilian5811

Thanks to the team for your patience. My remote tech David uninstalled the #j2 repair I had done with the 64 bit download in William's first post after he concluded it wasn't working. He installed a 64bit  #j2 download from a different link - it appeared to me. After rebooting, the Site builder loaded and everything is working again. Thanks guys!  
Photo of Edgar6303

Edgar6303

The uninstall j#2 bit seemed pivotal in my recovery as well. Happy for you.
Photo of Ken0942

Ken0942

• 388 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Excuse me for stating the obvious - we are PAYING you for a service, it is not up to us to understand all this gobbledegook about J2 downloads, repairs and patches - it is your job( Homestead that is) to make sure that your product works out of the box.  You have known for months that Windows 10 was coming - if you knew there would be problems you should have e-mailed all customers individually, not posted a warning on an obscure webpage that I have never seen !  As someone else has said, Sitebuilder is the only program on my machine that does not work with Windows 10, why then are you, a multi-million dollar company, finding it so difficult to get it right ? I cannot do anything as the download keeps refusing to accept something called net 2 framework and windows 10 says that a version called net.4 is already installed. Either do the job you are being paid for - or find someone that can sort it out for you.
Photo of William S

William S

Hello,

I apologize for any inconvenience you are having with Windows 10 upgrade and we will be more than happy to try and help you. We were aware that Windows 10 was coming and we tried to take the steps and precautions knowing there might be compatibility issues. Unfortunately we did not get access to Windows 10 to test this compatibility so we had no idea what changes Windows was going to do. This is why we posted that there may be issues and we are finding the fix for it. We are close to narrowing it down, but everyone's PC is different. 

If you are getting the LPX stopped working popup as soon as you click on SiteBuilder, try clicking this link and click repair.

If this doesn't fix it, then run the same download again and click uninstall. Then download the J# from the link below depending on your computer's version.

Photo of Shannan9115

Shannan9115

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there an update to sitebuilder for windows 10?.
Photo of William S

William S

Hello,

We got not have an update but if you are getting the LPX stopped working popup as soon as you click on SiteBuilder, try clicking this link and click repair. 

If this doesn't fix it, then run the same download again and click uninstall. Then download the J# from the link below depending on your computer's version.

Photo of david7776

david7776

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
the repair worked fine for me, thanks
d
Photo of Karl7440

Karl7440

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you all, especially William S for the fix!  It worked for me too.
Photo of Joe1290

Joe1290

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I downloaded it and after the files are extracted I am promoted to remove Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package. But it isn't on the list of programs to be uninstalled.
Photo of William S

William S

Try the link below and click repair after downloading and running.

(Edited)
Photo of Joe1290

Joe1290

Done. Holy Crap....It worked.
Photo of William S

William S

Glad to hear it!
Photo of Joe1290

Joe1290

Thank You!!!
Photo of William S

William S

Official Response
Hello,

We have noticed that with the following fix should stop the LPX stopped working popup as soon as you click on SiteBuilder. Try clicking this link below and click repair. 

Photo of William5413

William5413

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Window Woes x 10.

Hello Homestead, Is there an anticipated or scheduled date that Sitebuilder Desktop will be compatible With Windows 10? Obviously I did not read your cautionary alert and I did download Microsoft J2 and it changed but still does not work. Thank you for your prompt reply to bvalcour@bell.net. bill
Photo of William S

William S

Hello,

Please try the official reply above.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.