Please update SiteBuilder to support HTML5

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived as issue implemented.

I use flash images on my home page that are not supported on the iPad. When will Site Builder support an alternative to Flash? www.csthousing.com
Photo of david2953

david2953

• 6,966 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi David2953,

This question is starting to come up every now and then. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific time horizon as to when SiteBuilder might be updated to support HTML5. I am going to change this question to an idea so it will be more visible to our developers.

Thanks!
Mike
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I would also like HTML5 capability. I want to be able to give my sites a more modern look.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This is a great request, as Flash is now discontinued in development for all mobile platforms.  Mike, please be sure to click the +1 in the original post if you haven't already.

Thanks
Photo of david2953

david2953

Drew...thanks for your support on adding HTML5 capabilities to Site Builder. Is there a place users can see what new features are being worked or are in the pipeline? I have had my site for about a year now and have not noticed any new functionality?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi David2953, I'm going to jump in here for Drew as he's not scheduled to work today. There are numerous features and upgrades that are in the pipeline but we don't have a list or date for release. Our developers usually don't notify us until it's closer to the release date. In all honesty there likely won't be any major updates released until after the end of the year as our company is undergoing many changes in the back-end after the sale of Homestead from Intuit to EIG.

The first major releases that you'll probably see will be related to ecommerce but I don't have any details that I am able to release at this time. It will likely be several months (probably next year) before we see other updates like HTML5 support, drop-down menus, etc, and I can't promise anything for sure. The more we can get people to click the +1 buttons on these threads, the more the developers will focus on what we all want.

Mike
Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
HTML5 definitely needs to be implemented.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Agreed!
Photo of mark2556

mark2556

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I too would like HTML5 so people can access some of my website pages on their mobile phones since mobile phones don't use flash.
Photo of david2953

david2953

You might try using an image slider like WoW Slider. It is a third party application but it works great with Homestead and solves the flash problem with iOS devices. http://wowslider.com/ I have installed several on my site
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Has Homestead revisited the possibility of implementing HTML5 into the website creator?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Yes.. this is something that has been under discussion for months. Unfortunately I don't have any specifics as to what kind of enhancements they'll be releasing. With our company recently changing ownership, there are some very major systems updates being done that must be done first. I don't really expect to see any SiteBuilder updates until later this year.

Mike
Photo of Robert0634

Robert0634

• 580 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
HTML5
Photo of Robert0634

Robert0634

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
What version of HTML is Homestead Using?.

What version of HTML is Homestead Using?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

SiteBuilder Plus has been updated to publish sites with HTML5 headers, so that anything published will now support HTML5 features if placed in an htlm element in SiteBuilder. There is not any ETA at this time for when SiteBuilder itself will have dropable elements integrated into it as this will of course be a more major overhaul.
Photo of Robert0634

Robert0634

HTML5 in the headers are great if not slow In coming.
BUT I asked what version of HTML is homestead using?
Headers are a very small portion of the program. What makes homestead popular is the drop and click. Anyone can do it. But the Internet has changed faster than Homestead. So WE have to learn some code.

So what HTML is Homestead using? Not the headers but the rest of the site.
HTML 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.2, 4.01?
XHTML 1.0, Transitional, Strict.....
Photo of cukimai0453

cukimai0453

• 62 Points
html5 yeah i lke it
Photo of Robert0634

Robert0634

There nothing like being ignored
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Robert0634,

Here is a more thorough explanation from our developers. For the most part, it is currently using html 4.01. The Image Effects feature they mention, as you may have noticed allows those using SiteBuilder Plus (not the old desktop version), to add rounded cornders, shadow affects, frames, change color tones, crop etc.

I hope this helps.

The SBPlus tool itself is built complying with HTML5, but the great majority of it is using HTML 4.01.The only actual HTML5 feature being used is the Canvas object, we are using that in the Image Effects feature.

The tricky part of answering his question is explaining how HTML versions work, if the Header of his page says <!doctype html> then it’s telling browsers that view the site “this page complies with HTML5 standards”. A page can be rendered using HTML5 standards without actually having any HTML5 code on it, which is whats happening if the only code on their page is dropped by SBPlus elements. None of the elements we provide to our customers use advanced HTML5 features, so in that sense you could say we are “using” HTML 4.01

If they want to take advantage of HTML5 features they can paste code into one of our HTML Elements and it will render just fine on their published page, however they should be aware that in order for an end customer viewing their site to be able to see that HTML5 feature, that person’s browser must be able to render HTML5 content. (All recent versions of the major browsers IE, FF, Chrome, Safari, etc have this capability, but it’s always possible someone somewhere is using an un-updated IE7 or something.)

Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hello,

This is been implemented in today's update to SiteBuilder Plus.

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/sitebuilder-plus-media-players-have-been-updated-to...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.