My homepage is not showing up when I type in my domain

• Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I attempted to publish my website today. When you type in the url, a 404 error (page cannot be found) is displayed. If I type in the url (.../home.html) it takes me to the website. How can I resolve this?
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,386 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,386 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi,

It's a rule on the world wide web that your home page needs to be called Index. With the millions of websites out there, creating a standard rule for the name of a home page allowed search engines and browsers to easily detect domain names to bring up peoples websites (without having to figure out what the name of your home page might be). To fix your issue you will want to rename your home page to index.

To rename the home page Index:
  1. Click Websites Managerin the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

2. Go to the page you want to be your home page.

3. Click Save, then click Save As.

4. Rename the page Index.

5. Click OK and Save and Publish your website.

Note: You may need to edit your navigation menu if you had your home page link to something other than index. Learn how to edit the site navigation menu.

Hope that helps!

Did this answer help? If so, please mark 'good answer' below for other people to find this post. Also like us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about how to grow your business.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.