Why can't I get Word files to paste into my site?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Previously I copy & pasted Word files into my website. Now when I try to add new copy from Word, it does nothing. I hate having to hand type every word.
Photo of Terri7572

Terri7572

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can still copy and paste from Word or other sources but you just have to use the Ctrl C / Ctrl V commands. If you've tried this then you may have already noticed but it does not keep the formatting. The old copy & paste function from the old desktop SiteBuilder created problems as there would be some formatting that carried over from Word which caused interference and undesirable formatting once the text was pasted into the SiteBuilder. I do realize that for some people this is an inconvenience, but for the majority of the users it tends to eliminate many text formatting issues.

If you have large amounts of text in Word that you want placed in your site, and don't want to lose the formatting, you can simply save the Word doc as a web page. Then open the file in your browser, right click (you'll see an option to view the source code), copy the page source, and past the html code into an html box in SiteBuilder.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Terri7572

Terri7572

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mike - Ctrl C / Ctrl V doesn't work any better. What finally solved the problem was getting out of Chrome (my preferred browser) and working in MS IE (which I really don't like). Apparently the copy/paste feature on homestead only works with IE. I am now bouncing back & forth between the browsers while I work on updating our website. Homestead should have a big sign somewhere that mentions the fact it only works with IE. The website actually appears quite different on IE vs Chrome.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
IE 8 or 9, and also Firefox tend to be the best browsers to use.
You'll likely find Firefox to be the most user friendly.

Mike
Photo of Romie Littrell

Romie Littrell

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I use Firefox, the cut and paste with Ctrl C / V doesn't work.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I was just able to copy and paste from a Word document using Firefox. You might have to do some formatting, but the text should come through. Maybe try clearing your cache. I am using Firefox version 23.

Thanks

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.