Why aren't my sent emails showing up in my sent folder? (iOS, iPhone, iPad)

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
To assure all folders are synchronized (if using multiple devices or computers) make sure you are using the IMAP configuration.

If your sent emails are not showing up on your device perform the following steps.

1. Launch the Settings app
2. Choose Mail Contacts and Calendars
3. Select the account with which you are having trouble syncing the Sent folder
4. Under IMAP tap on your Account. (NOTE: If it says POP, then you have to delete the account and re-add it as an IMAP account).
5. Choose Advanced at the bottom
6. Under Mailbox Behaviors, tap on "Sent Mailbox"
7. Ensure that the folder called "Sent" is checked off under the "On the Server" section

To save the settings:

Click the "Advanced" button on the top left.
Click on "Account Info".
Click "DONE" (do not click Cancel).
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 183,918 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Andrea8922

Andrea8922

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Tried that repeatedly. Does not work.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Can you tell us what is happening on your end? any errors? etc?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Andrea8922, I just added the steps to properly back-out so the settings are saved.

To save the settings:

Click on "Account Info".
Photo of Andrea8922

Andrea8922

Doesn't work. Mail will send out of iPhone and be received at another account but it does not show in sent items or sent messages. My 'sent' folder is still full of sent messages from 12/23 but the only recent message that shows in my sent folders on my iPhone or iPad is the one I sent as a test out of Homestead webmail. Nothing sent out of my desktop Outlook shows - that's not new.

Also getting 'cannot send deleted messages to trash' and periodically, messages that appear in my Outlook but have not been opened yet appear on my iPhone or iPad but do not show as new, show as opened.

Mobiles are iPad 4s updated to IOS7, 2 iPhone 5 updated to IOS7. Old accounts were deleted, new accounts set up as IMAP using HS supplied settings.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Andrea8922, The issue with the deleted emails almost the exact same thing as the sent emails. You may want to look at this thread instead as it includes screenshots.

Can you tell me how many devices you have configured with the email account? If they are all not configured exactly the same way, and there are different designated folders, this will cause syncing problems.

If you still have problems after double checking the configuration on each device let me know. We may need you to take screenshots with your iphone for each step of the configuration so we can see it from our end. Also, another option is to call Apple support. While searching the internet, this seems to be a pretty widespread problem with the Apple devices.

Mike
Photo of Andrea8922

Andrea8922

We have 4 mobile devices currently active, 2 iPad 4(s) and 2 iPhone 5(s). All 4 are set up to IMAP, all are running IOS 7.4.1. We have 3 other iPhone 4s that are currently not activated but will be soon. Two of the devices were set up as POP3 but switched to IMAP. If you want screen shots, we can do that.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you have even 1 device on POP, it will prevent everything from syncing. That is most likely the issue. IMAP leaves all messages on the server so that when you log in with other devices also configured as IMAP, everything is accessible. POP accounts download and remove messages from the server. So then if someone checks with a an IMAP device after messages have been removed, then it prevents the sync from occurring as the server will be missing the messages.
Photo of Andra9952

Andra9952

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
If I delete a POP account and re-add it as an IMAP, will all of my mail for that account (new, old, sent, archived, etc.) still be retained and saved on the server?
Photo of kira1847

kira1847

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is not working... I am sending test emails, receiving them, but they still are not showing in the sent folder...
Photo of kira1847

kira1847

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It works now!
Photo of Greg2098

Greg2098

• 408 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I don't even get the "On the Server" option - I have checked all of your other myriad requirements and I am on spot on all of them. Any other suggestions?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Make sure the settings saved correctly. The final steps in the instructions above are critical. If you don't back out correctly, it won't save the settings.

Mike
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Greg, I don't have an apple device to look at, at this moment, but if I recall, that button is not in a logical location. Can you take a look around the screen (may have to scroll) and see if its there?
Photo of Jeff8905

Jeff8905

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
i need help with sent folder not showing sent emails from my iphone.
Photo of Patricia4503

Patricia4503

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is great if you have no idea how to change from a POP to an IMAP account.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 183,908 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Tell us where you are stuck, and we'll be happy to help you out.

Mike
Photo of Robin8805

Robin8805

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Outbox jammed by rejected server!.

I reported this yesterday and still have problems even though I followed your tutorial on Iphones.
I am getting the message
"A copy has been placed in your Outbox. The sender address ....was rejected by the server.

I am getting all my in box mail but can not send out!
Photo of EbbieBlanca

EbbieBlanca

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sent e-mail not synching on phone or tablet.

I've updated my e-mail settings on my phone and on my tablet (Outlook 2013). Whenever I send an e-mail on my phone it doesn't sync with Outlook. Before it did with the settings of .homesteadmail.com. I am now using imap.homestead.com. When I send an e-mail from Outlook on my tablet, I have to choose "Save E-mail to Sent Items" every time. If not it will default to send and remain in the outbox - ultimately causing it not to sync. I did not have to do this before either. Every device was in sync with no issues before the change. This is not helpful if I need to refer to a sent e-mail from multiple devices. Is there a way around this?
Photo of Bret5092

Bret5092

I still cannot send email from my mac mail. The email I want to send goes right to an outbox in apple mail. I have done everything Mike recommends above. Please help
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Did you save, and back out of the program as described above. If you didn't, it won't save the settings.

Mike
Photo of Bret5092

Bret5092

where is the save option?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

To save the settings:

Click on "Account Info".

Photo of Jeff5808

Jeff5808

Can't view sent messages on mobile.

My iPhone is not storing my sent messages for some reason? I cannot go into sent messages or sent items to see previously sent messages. Help?!
Photo of charles8086

charles8086

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
email failure on my mac.

i can now recieve email butI can not send. Your instuction do not apply to my mac. I cant change the outgoing port only the imap port.
Photo of John1338

John1338

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Email Service.

Are you ever going to fix the Email server so I can send Emails from my Ipad and Iphone? I get incoming emails but outgoing says can't connect to the server! I also cant delete Email from my Ipad or Iphone.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi John1338, What you are describing is not a server issue. It has to do with the way that many of the new Apple systems create the email folders. When configuring an IMAP account it now requires you to identify/map the folders on the server rather than the ones that the phone/device creates. See instructions on this page.
Photo of EbbieBlanca

EbbieBlanca

Hi. I still have not received a reply from my original post. I am using Outlook 2013 and I have to choose an option of where to save my e-mails every time I send an e-mail from my laptop. If I send an e-mail from my phone, I cannot see them in my "Sent Items" when I log into Outlook.

EbbieBlanca 17 days ago

Sent e-mail not synching on phone or tablet.

I've updated my e-mail settings on my phone and on my tablet (Outlook 2013). Whenever I send an e-mail on my phone it doesn't sync with Outlook. Before it did with the settings of .homesteadmail.com. I am now using imap.homestead.com. When I send an e-mail from Outlook on my tablet, I have to choose "Save E-mail to Sent Items" every time. If not it will default to send and remain in the outbox - ultimately causing it not to sync. I did not have to do this before either. Every device was in sync with no issues before the change. This is not helpful if I need to refer to a sent e-mail from multiple devices. Is there a way around this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry for this inconvenience. We are aware of this issue as some mobile devices try to save the sent item to a different folder other. One of the issues is that some mobile devices have a setting that allows you to designate the right folder and others don't. As soon as we have some additional information or some sort of resolution we'll create a help topic here on the community.
Photo of EbbieBlanca

EbbieBlanca

Ok. So is there anything that can be done about the issue with Outlook. The sent items are automatically saved in the "Outbox". Why can they not automatically save to "Sent Items"? The Outbox doesn't sync...The Sent Items folder does. Thanks.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Are you by any chance using Outlook 2013 with an IMAP configuration? If so, you may have to delete the account and set it up with a new profile. This page from Microsoft explains how the 2013 version handles the data folders differently than older versions.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/out...
Photo of lhutchinson4536

lhutchinson4536

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I can't see sent messages since my email was upgraded?.

I have no visibility to sent messages, since the homestead system updated. What am I doing wrong?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you are using Apple devices follow the steps above. You have to map them to the correct sent folder. For some reason Apple creates their own set of folders and when using IMAP, you have to tell it to use the server folders instead.
Photo of kim5791

kim5791

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Deleting emails from the iPhone..

When attempting to delete items from my iphone, i receive an error stating that messages cannot be moved.

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the My session keeps timing out every 5minutes. I get this message:" Your session ... topic.
Photo of Matt B.

Matt B.

• 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The other alternative would be to set your iPhone up with an exchange connection. The directions for doing so can be found here: https://community.homestead.com/homes....

Thanks,
Matt
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

For anyone who is struggling with sending emails, or mapping to the correct sent folder, you may want to consider using the Exhange configuration instead of the POP, or IMAP options. This options has some nice advantages as it not only syncs emails on the server to your device, but also your calendar and contacts. Visit this page for instructions: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Mike
Photo of David6304

David6304

ipad and homestead email.

set up ipad but won't send email. error says it is was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you are setting it up as an IMAP account the steps above should fix the problem. If it's something different let us know.

Mike
Photo of iamlove662365

iamlove662365

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi there,

I'm having similiar trouble as some above -- I have mapped the incoming and outgoing server to homestead account and it is verified on my iphone 4, IOS 7.1.1.  I did exit as instructed. 

I am receiving all incoming messages from my hotmail and homestaed accounts just fine with manual push.  None of my sent messages for homestead are appearing on my iphone nor on my homestead email panel folder tree.  In fact, there is only the inbox, public, shared folders and sent objects showing on the homestead panel.  Where's my sent folder gone?

And is there no search for related messages possible?

Also, could my icloud account on my iphone part of this problem?

Can I actually speak to a tech today instead of typing here?

Thx, Linda   
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 246,930 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, we do not currently have phone support on the weekends.

First, are the messages you send from the phone being delivered?

Sent objects is your sent folder on the Webmail.  There might be a small arrow to the left of the inbox.  This will expand the folder tree if you have other server based folders in the tree.

Drew
Photo of iamlove662365

iamlove662365

OK.  The messages are being delivered, and I tested this with my hotmail account to make sure. Problem is I need to see my replies.    I opended arrow to left of inbox and now have full tree, thx, including subfodlers and my sent messages. Problem now is my last sent message displayed is January, 2014.  How do I display all the sent messages since then?

Photo of iamlove662365

iamlove662365

Bous to see my notes in folder too-- but agan, no update since Janury change to new platform.
Photo of iamlove662365

iamlove662365

...under configuration for email accounbts, it still shows the old port #s and SSL is not checked off -- could this be the problem?
Photo of Drew N

Is your iphone setup as a POP or IMAP account?  If it is POP, then the messages sent from the phone are kept on the phone.

If it is IMAP, then per the above instructions can you see a check mark in the mail box behaviors setting to keep the sent messages on the server?

Drew
Photo of Drew N

SSL should not be checked.  The port should be 587 on the outgoing server in most cases, but if 25 is working, you can use that too.