Why are my mailing lists no longer available?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

We will no longer be offering the mailing list feature. We had issues with spam, which resulted in complaints from customers that too many emails were being blocked.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

• 3,106 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Question on email lists..

Mike, did I just read the new platform link correctly? We will not be able to have mail lists? So if I have to send my weekly reports to four people in order to get paid on my government contract, I cannot create a list to do that? This is an IMPROVEMENT??

Will you disclose Homestead's relationship with EmailBrain? Homestead is discontinuing a free service so we can pay a Homestead partner? Is Homestead getting compensation for this?

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the How do I voice my complaint with regard to the email service? topic.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You are correct. The email list feature is being discontinued. The old email list caused may problems as people were collecting addresses, and using them to send large email blasts, which in many cases did not comply with the anit-spam regulations. When many of these emails where being flagged as spam, then it caused our servers to get blacklisted. As a company we had to make the decision to protect the reputation of our servers so that it does not affect all of our customers as it did a few weeks ago.

As you may have heard. Homestead was sold by Intuit to Endurance International Group. Email Brain is also owned by EIG so Email Brains is a sort of sister company, but we operate as completely different entities. If you choose not to use Email Brain, there are several other excellent options such as Vertical Response or Constant Contact.

As far as your email lists go, we will be emailing them to you, so you can still used them, but they just won't be stored in our system. If you wish to manually add them to your email client you are welcome to do so. Also the new OX platform will allow you to create a distribution list in the web client, so if you have small groups of 4, that should be no problem.

Mike
Photo of John1302

John1302

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Are you now saying that I can no longer use my list to forward my personal email like this: myname@mysite.com, to my gmail account? If this is so, how can we work around this? This is not a good thing for my sites for sure!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can still send emails to your list, but the list will no longer be stored in the website. When your account is converted, if you have any lists, they will be emailed to you in a file. You can add the list to whatever email client you prefer to use and continue emailing to that list like normal.

Mike
Photo of John1302

John1302

I do not understand what you are saying. I want to use like this, myname@mysite.com, for an email and will it be forwarded to my gmail account or is this going to be screwed up on all my sites?
Photo of John1302

John1302

Then it isn't really explained on how to go about changing things in a simple manner.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Every email client will be a little different. If you are using Google or any other 3rd party email client, there is generally a place where you can create the email distribution list. You'll have to import the addresses into that client. For Google, click here; https://support.google.com/mail/answe...
Photo of John1302

John1302

You are not answering my question. I really don't want groups, but the have my personal site email for myself and a couple of others, such as john@hope4uth.com and becky@hope4uth.com to forward to my gmail account to to becky's gmail mail account. I was using lists in homestead to make this happen. How do we fix this now?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Google just calls lists, groups. They are the same thing. Also, once your account does get converted, the new OX platform will allow you too create lists right in the web client. You'll be able to email your lists the same way you always have. It's just that the lists will no longer be stored in the Homestead site. You'll store and maintain them from the OX web client, or if you prefer to use a 3rd party email client of your choice you can do that too.

Your account has not yet been converted so, for now you will continue like normal.
Photo of John1302

John1302

Is there anyway to easily just forward my emails to my gmail account? Right now i'm not concerned about sending out group emails or list emails, but need my personal ones like john@hope4uth.com from you website platform forwarded to my gmail account.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can forward emails through the Zimbra email page, but I'm confused as to what you are saying about using a list to forward emails.

As of right now, I do not recommend setting up a forwarding address. I would recommend waiting until your account gets converted to the new platform. Adding a forwarding email address right now might prevent some of your emails from getting forwarded if the senders domain has an SPF record. An SPF record is a special DNS record that prevents emails from a certain domain, from being sent from a different server that is not authorized by the domain host. This can cause some of the people that are trying to email you, to get bounce messages. After your account is converted to the new system, this shouldn't be a problem.
Photo of John1302

John1302

I have not received notice that this has taken place, but I am receiving notices that my email addy: john@hope4uth.com has a permanent error
Photo of John1302

John1302

so my account with homestead is set up to email me at john@hope4uth.com so I do not know what to do now.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

John1302, Your account has not yet been converted.
Photo of John1302

John1302

I need to talk to someone to figure out how to forward my emails on each website I have...... This is very important as one website is not forwarding the emails right now..
Photo of John1302

John1302

I need to have something like this work for me immediately: myname@mywebsite.com that I have hosted with you forwarded to myname@gmail.com. Now I have been getting the run around on this now for a month and this needs to get settled so I can get about other business.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you are simply trying to forward your Homestead/Zimbra email address to your gmail address, just follow these steps:

1. Open the Preferences tab and in the Overview pane select Mail.

2. In the Receiving Messages section and in When a message arrives, Forward a copy to, add the complete forwarding address.

3. If you want to automatically delete the email from your account, enable Don't keep a local copy of messages.

4. Click Save.
Photo of Amy2238

Amy2238

• 72 Points
Thanks for the information. NOT. I just finished adding 1500 email contacts only to find that I cannot use them. Website needs to notify their customers.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Amy2238,

I took a look at your account, and see that you have created many different lists. With a large number of lists, it appears that you'll be doing some pretty large email blasts. If you try to email each of those lists in a short time frame, you'll almost certainly get your domain/email account blacklisted. The system is not designed for email marketing, or mass mailing.

You'll want to consider using a 3rd party email marketing client so that you don't get your domain blacklisted.

This link may help: http://www.emailbrain.com/eb/index-ho...

Mike
Photo of Amy2238

Amy2238

• 72 Points
Thanks for your response. Mike. We prefer to do internal monthly email notifications to our guests who have elected to receive them As such, I don't think it qualifies as spam. But whatever.

We thought we would able to send emails such as ours out via our Homestead account. I guess if your company cannot accomodate our service needs we will need to look at new hosting companies when our contract renews.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We are not stopping you from email your lists. What sort of problem are you having?
Photo of Roger4308

Roger4308

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am a non-profit. I send out about 150 notices once a month telling our members the newsletter is on the website ready to read. How many addresses can I send to in each mailing? I refresh the address list every month from an excel file, so permanent mailing lists are not important to me. I do not want to (can't) pay another monthly fee. It may be time to look for another website provider.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

There's not really an exact number to give you as different ISP's may block you if it's at a certain number which could vary. I would recommend keeping the emails to t have an unsubscribe link, then they will be very likely to flag the email as spam. If too many recipients flag your email as spam, then it can get you blacklisted by our outgoing spam filter.

Mike
Photo of Roger4308

Roger4308

I would recommend keeping the emails to t have an unsubscribe link, ????
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry, Not sure what happened there. I strongly recommend that the emails have an unsubscribe link. Without an unsubscribe link, you drastically increasing your chances of getting blacklisted. This is one of the things the ISP's and spam block services look for.
Photo of Laura0901

Laura0901

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We did not have a mailing list, however we did have contacts which are now gone: All of our customers and factories. How do we get our contacts back?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Laura0901, Sorry for the issue. There were a few accounts with distribution lists located in Zimbra that did not transfer. The quickest way to help you is to unlock the old account so that you can log in and export those contacts. The account has been unlocked.

If you go to mail.homesteadmail.com you can log in to get the data you need.

This link may help: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Mike
Photo of Laura0901

Laura0901

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mike. I was able to export to a CSV, however it will not import to the new email system because the setup formats are different. It only brought over 17 names and no emails...out of 2000. Help please, how do I import them now?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

To import the names, you'll need to export a CSV file from the new system, then add your contacts to that file, save it, and import that file, instead of the one from Zimbra as it will contain the correct formatting.
Photo of Barre6828

Barre6828

• 60 Points
I have read through the replies and I am still unclear. Is there a alternate way that we will be able to send out messages to a stored list of multiple recipients - without paying for an external service?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can still create groups, or lists in the new email client, but, keep in mind if you are doing any sort of email marketing, it does not include any sort of unsubscribe feature so you are greatly increasing your chances of getting yourself blacklisted.

The email marketing programs will provide you with valuable data when you send mass emails and help keep you in compliance with all the anti-spam laws.
Photo of Roger4308

Roger4308

Good question!!! I also would like to know the answer to that.
Roger4308.
Photo of Bonnie3556

Bonnie3556

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am using the email list feature to gather email addresses, not to send out the emails. I use other programs/accounts to send out the actual emails. Will I still be able to gather email addresess for people that want to subscribe to my mailings? If so, what is the best way to do this?

I'm a bit upset as I received the notice of changes 2 days ago and today I got a notice that I've been changed. That isn't enough notice, as I was unable to gather the email addresses that have accumulated over the last month.

It's funny how "upgrades" seem to benefit the host and are no upgrade at all to the end user.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can use the custom form tool to collect email addresses or other information. https://community.homestead.com/homes...

This actually gives you more functionality than the old email list form.
Photo of Bonnie3556

Bonnie3556

I understand that if I create a custom form, I will receive an email message that someone filled out my form. What I am looking for is a way for the web site to create the list of the people that have filled out my form (like before) so that I can download the information to use in other programs. Are you telling us that the web site no longer has the ability to gather the list for me? I don't like the idea of needing to cut and paste from every message into my mailing spreadsheet. This is a large loss of functionality. I don't use Homestead to send the mailings but it is important that it be able to gather the information in a useable format.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The custom form will allow you to capture the info, for use in a spreadsheet, but you'll still have to copy/paste to an email program.

Even though the old system made it easier to use the list in the email program, it did not do anything to help customers stay in compliance with the anti-spam laws. Because of many changes and the strict guidelines around sending spam, you will definitely want to do use an actual email marketing program to keep yourself compliant and avoid getting blacklisted. The email marketing tools also provide you with more valuable data and automate the subscribe and unsubscribe processes.
Photo of Bonnie3556

Bonnie3556

Also - when can I epect to receive an email with the list of names in my mailing list? I haven't gotten one and of course it has disappeared from my homestead page. I need to update my list before a mailing and would like to have the info right away. Are you able to send it to me?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

They would have been sent to your gmail address. I'll send them again.
Photo of JC2043

JC2043

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is there a way that i can have emails forwarded to several people? We used to use the list to do this. We setup an email address with the "list" then when someone emailed that address it was forwarded to a group of people in our office.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry, the new system does not include that feature. The best resolution is to create groups in the new email system or, withing your email client such as outlook.
Photo of Ashley5265

Ashley5265

I have not received my mailing lists in ant format. When will they arrive? I need to send an email rather shortly!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

What was the email address for the mailing list and i can see if we can get it to you?

Mike
Photo of Ashley5265

Ashley5265

I need this list ASAP please!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I've made the request. I will email it to you the moment I get it back from the admins.
Can I recreate my current mailing list in the new OX platform? Will the "join this Mailing List" Feature still exist?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can recreate your mailing lists in the new system, but the "join mailing list" feature has been discontinued.
So the mailing list feature will still work but NOT the "collection" feature.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Correct.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

But to clarify. You'll have to create lists in the actual email program. The Homestead website will no longer store the lists.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
For anyone attempting to import contacts from Zimbra or another 3rd party CSV file, you'll need to export a CSV file from the new OX system first. Then add your contacts to that file, save it, and import that file, instead of the one from Zimbra as it will contain the correct formatting.
How do we know if we are on the new platform and where is the csv file too export?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: How do we know if we are on the new platform?
I've only received one spreadsheet for the www.parkatfrenchcreekhoa.com, but none of my other websites. (courtney@courtneym.com) & more.
Can I provide you with my domains to get lists?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Yes. if you have the email address for the list it is faster but if you just have the domain we should be able to find it.

Mike
Please email all lists to Courtney@courtneym.com
Here we go...
contact@bulverdevillagepoa.com +4 more there.
elist@ccnhoa.com (and all sublists within)
elist@Bentleymanorhoa.com (all list within this domain)
elist@fossilridgehoa.org (all list within this domain)
elist@lakesideatcanyonsprings.com (all sub list)
elist@pointbluffhoa.com (all sublist)
elist@saladocanyon.com (all sub lists)
elist@saterrabella.com (all sub lists)
elist@senderoranchhoa.com (all sub lists)
elist@Shavanocreekhoa.com (all sub lists)
elist@silverbrookhoa.com (all Sub Lists)
elist@theenclaveatwestoverhills.com
Residents@theenclaveatwestoverhills.com (and all sub lists)
elist@trophyridgehoa.ORG (ans all sub lists)
elist@parkwoodsa.com (all sub lists)
elist@championsrunhoa.com (all sub lists)
elist@thebluffsattwocreekshoa.com (all sub lists)
elist@theparkattwocreekshoa.com (all sub lists)
elist@thecrossingatteocreekshoa.com (all sub lists)
some of these sites / domains do not have a "functioning" email address as the sign in, so all list need to be emailed to courtney@courtneym.com
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hello Courtney. I am looking into this now. I'll see if they can be migrated. (or emailed to you). It depends on if these were store in Zimbra, or on the Homestead website.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Courtney Holmes Meier ,

The reason you did not any lists sent to you is that your account has not yet been migrated. We will do this as part of the migration process but if you would like to log into your accounts now and back them up you are welcome to do so.

Mike
OK. Do my mailing list back up to my PC and if so, where within "my sites" can I find them?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you want to go ahead and back up your mailing lists, you'll access them from the same screen where you change your email passwords. You'll click the Email link on the left side of the page, then click the Manage Email account link, select the domain for the list you wish to retrieve. Then you'll see the email lists on the lower half of the screen.

My advice is to just copy them and past them into Excel.
Will the "join this mailing list" feature on ALL my websites vanish or just become unfunctional?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You'll have to manually remove any buttons you might have on your site. It will cease to function once your account is converted.
Photo of Wayne8868

Wayne8868

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I really need my mailing lists that were deleted. Can you let me know when you will be sending them to me as a spreadsheet? Need meeting@nhcsi.org soon.

Thanks
Wayne
info@nhcsi.org
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Where did you build the mailing list? In the Zimbra client, or in the Homestead email manager?

Drew
Photo of Wayne8868

Wayne8868

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
In the Homestead email manager.
Photo of Kate9517

Kate9517

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have only one mailing list, but I haven't received it in an e-mail yet. My account was converted some time ago, I believe. How do I get that list?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I will take a look for you.

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.