Why am I suddenly getting an unusual amount of spam in my email?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Yesterday (9/18/13) Homestead switched to a new spam filter, which may cause an increase in the amount of spam to be delivered for some customers. Like most spam filters, there is a learning process. Be sure to flag any message you recognize as spam with the "spam" button in your Hmail account.

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,578 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Stephen4624

Stephen4624

• 1,112 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Why am I getting more junk mail since the mail servers came back online?.

Why am I getting more junk mail since the mail servers came back online? I've never had this problem before now.
Photo of Marcia5401

Marcia5401

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I"m having the same issue, and the same emails apparently (the "enhance..." type...and since I don't have the body part in question myself, these are particularly annoying!).
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

• 1,322 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Spam, spam and more spam....

My main website email has been receiving hundreds of spam emails a day over the last several days... They're all the same topic "Enlarge your penis"..Blocking them isn't helping because they're all coming from different address's.. My account isn't being used to send spam, I'm just receiving it.. Is there any way to stop this? If I delete my account for a few days, will I be able to create the same email address again? I had this problem a few years ago with another account and it seems like that's what I had to do... Any advice?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Karen5787, Deleting and recreating your email account will likely not help, unless you actually leave it closed for lengthy period of time. it really depends on how the spammers are sending the email and if their system removes addresses that are undeliverable. It's probably best to keep flagging them as spam and the issue should subside.
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

Thank you... The problem is, I use Outlook express. It has a blocking option, but no spam filter, and blocking didn't seem to be slowing them down in the least.. I've left my outlook closed today and only used the Hmail program, flagging all these letters as spam.. I am pleasantly surprised that the letters are slowing down considerably.. I haven't used homesteads email program for years because it used to be very generic.... I'm surprised at how much better the program is now. I think I'll just stick with the hmail from now on..
Photo of Gayle8814

Gayle8814

• 208 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I use Mailwasher to bring my email in, mark all the Spam there so it "learns" then go to Zimbra and mark the Spam there, too. Then "wash" them both.. Double the work... :( Maybe an email sent to all Homestead email clients explaining this and everyone helping it to "learn" would be good? I doubt it will ever be as non-spam friendly as it was... wishful thinking... I don't need another thing to do all day long... I don't think we ever had to teach it to recognize spam before.
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

Gayle.. What is Mailwasher?? Since I wrote that comment 15 hours ago, I have received over 100 new spams... I'm about to go back to my original idea of deleting this email address for a week or so.. I'm with you.. I have too much to do to have to go through all this spam to find "real" emails...
Photo of Gayle8814

Gayle8814

It's a program http://www.firetrust.com/products/mai... that you set up to bring in all of your email (I have 3 accounts) and it "knows" which is spam and which is good but I have had to teach it my preferences - though it knows a lot of them already. I love using it because I can get rid of it in 3 accounts at a push of a button and I can see emails that if I don't want them to clutter my email inbox, I can get rid of them in Mailwasher. So i only get what I do want in my Inboxes. The Homestead Mail almost never had anything but good stuff. But that changed this week. I could just use Mailwasher but that wouldn't help teach the Zimbra. :( Mailwasher Pro has an annual cost but it is so worth it to me.
Photo of Gayle8814

Gayle8814

This is a better link... http://www.firetrust.com/en/home
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

Thank you ;o)
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

I appreciate the info from Gayle, but the problem with this program is that you have to pay for it. We're all paying enough already to Homestead, we shouldn't have to pay for something additional to keep spam out of our email program..
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If it helps anyone out, the Thunderbird email client is free and has a pretty good spam filter built into it. https://support.mozillamessaging.com/...
Photo of Bruce3754

Bruce3754

• 60 Points
Crazy email spam!!!! Put your filters back up. I have many clients with a homestead email. Many complaints!!! This is ridiculous, your filter should be catching a majority of these emails. Make it end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,646 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good morning, the new filters are going up, but it does take time. Meanwhile, follow Mike's instructions above and maybe it will speed up the reduction in spam.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

Drews, Mikes instructions aren't helping... the spam keeps coming.. I can mark it as spam all day long but it's still coming through.. I have a question.. what is going on with the email program? Why are you saying "new filters are going up, but it does take time".. What happened to the filters the program used to have? And how long do you mean when you say "it does take time".. What exactly does that mean?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,646 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I honestly can't answer the time frame question. I will try to get some more information for you, but we changed from one filter to Spamhaus just a few days ago.

Drew
Photo of Douglas9412

Douglas9412

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I never received the spam until the change from Intuit to Homestead. Easy answer in my opinion. Homestead provided our website names as a spam list. I've received 50 per day and is only getting worse. 75 just today and it is early yet. Tagging all of them spam does nothing. GMAB
Photo of cahea

cahea

• 374 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
SPAM email.

Has something changed in the SPAM filter? This past week, I have begun to RECEIVE a lot of SPAM email. With this email account, I NEVER received SPAM. I must go through each one to find the email that is really intended for me. Thanks for your help.
Photo of Nicole5555

Nicole5555

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've had the same experience. This coupled with the e-mail bounces during a very busy workweek is getting really frustrating.
Photo of Lisa8578

Lisa8578

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
spam.

What is up with the spam? You put in a new spam filter that doesn't block words like penis or sexual? You have got to be kidding. And of course no support on the weekend as if no one works weekends.
Photo of Brenda3293

Brenda3293

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Good point which leads me to think there is another problem we are not being told about.

What is Homestead's offical statement or position form their Senior Team?
Photo of Dan2705

Dan2705

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
WTF!!! I am getting hundreds of spam emails an hour. I have a web based, email based business and now I have to sort through hours and hours of extra work trying to find legitimate customer emails. Fix it or lose a long time customer.
Photo of Amy3589

Amy3589

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Spam is out of control!.

Last week my Intuit email was moved to Homestead. Problem is, ever since that took place, I've been inundated with "special offers" -- not just items for sale but also those wonderful "investment opportunities", "sob stories - need help transferring funds to the US" ... every type of spam, con and annoyance that I've heard about is NOW entering my email ... when I have NEVER seen any before. I haven't gone to any new sites since the change-over, accepted anything through this account or anything else. Nothing has changed ... except this stuff is showing up.

I need to know if there's a way to find out where it's coming from, if there's a way to stop it AND to know if there's a way to make sure that none of this is being passed along to my clients (even though I mark every one of them as spam). Ideas? Suggestions?

Thank you!
Photo of Curt1378

Curt1378

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Huge Spam problem since the midweek email outage.

Ever since the email outage last week, we've been getting large amounts of spam to our company email accounts. I know this is not due to any actions on our part. One of my coworkers is away from email out of the country and another is only an account I monitor. All are receiving large amounts of spam.

What is the cause and how will homestead fix the problem? I don't want to hear change our email addresses.

Who else is experiences this problem?
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

I just pulled in 54 emails and only 3 of them weren't spam.. they are mostly "free trails to enlarge your penis", "make her groan for more", "amazing orgasms" I understand that Homestead has just switched to Spamhaus, but shouldn't any spam program automatically pick up those words as spam? Why isn't it working on those kinds of emails automatically? Homestead, this is a huge problem!

I'm also now getting mail that I blocked years ago.. I had forgotten about most of these but suddenly, here's all this advertisement crap I'd gotten rid of years ago...
I blamed this on my outlook express at first, but I now realize it's a problem with homestead..

I hope we have answers soon.. Shouldn't someone at Homestead be working on this all weekend to find a fast solution?

I'm sure you are all like me and just don't have time to weed through all this crap to find actual customer emails...
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Karen, I agree. Yes, we have the mail administrators working on it, but I don't know when we will hear back.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Drew
Photo of Brenda3293

Brenda3293

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Drew - you or a senior Homestead person ought to have sent out a notice to all email users that your were transitioning to a new spam filter. Also, letting us all know the status of the change-over. We are all in the dark. Can you post a status on the Homestead main page and a timeline for the fix?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I agree, and yes, someone will post when they have the timeline.
Photo of Donna1365

Donna1365

• 70 Points
YEs, same here. Since the 18th my main email address has been inundated with sexual spam. Make it stop!
Photo of Ginny3105

Ginny3105

• 70 Points
At least I'm not alone with this problem! I've been receiving spam at the rate of appx every 2 to 5 minutes, I'm getting HUNDREDS of spam messages every day and prior to this spam filter change I may have received one or two per week. This is incredibly annoying and time consuming. I agree with Lisa, what kind of spam filter doesn't block 300 emails per day with the word "penis" in the subject?!?
Photo of Joseph5591

Joseph5591

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
New SPAM filter is terrible.

The new SPAM filter is allowing a large number of SPAM emails to be delivered to my inbox and the inbox of each person in my company. It has decreased productivity because of the time we all must now spend to carefully sort through our emails

Are you sure this is a SPAM *filter*? It seems more like a SPAM *enabler*.

I strongly recommend you return to your earlier SPAM filter until you confirm this new SPAM filter is working properly.

At least talk to the current SPAM filter company to see if they've been compromised. In my opinion, this gives Homestead a "black eye.".
Photo of Curt1378

Curt1378

I'm truly amazed about how a company like Intuit cannot improve the homestead product. We have limited email capacity, incompatibility with ie10, service outages and we are paying for all of this. If things don't improve, I'm going to go elsewhere.
Photo of Douglas9412

Douglas9412

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I will give it 24 hours and I'm done. But thanks in advance to Intuit for the change to Homestead. And Homestead what a terrific job you've done.
Gotta be kidding me.
Photo of Marcia5401

Marcia5401

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So - what's the answer then? Will this clear itself up, or are we doomed to read this crap until we finally abandon Homestead for another provider?
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

Homestead...any updates or information about what's being done about the spam? Pulled in 74 emails this morning and only 6 of them weren't spam.. And this will go on all day long.. This is crazy!!
Photo of Mary2495

Mary2495

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I went to the Homestead site last night and marked every spam piece of nasty mail as spam, thinking naively that would stop the tide. Sadly, this morning another deluge. Of course, if I start responding, I'll have a great body, lots of money, new technology and boyfriends galore. I won't be able to get my work done however. How about a fix plan, Homestead people? Please.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hello everyone. As most of you are aware the email issue has still not been resolved. I know this is very upsetting and a huge inconvenience for many of you. You all have every right to voice your opinions and vent regarding this situation. I would like to offer these for threads in case you need an update, need help with changing email to domain.com or just need to vent.

Announcement https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Domain.com setup: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Change MX records: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Voice Complaint: https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of Mary2495

Mary2495

Mike: Thank you, but none of this provides intelligence on when we might expect relief. Can you give us that please?
Photo of Mary2495

Mary2495

Or... can I help myself? My mail is forwarded from Homestead to my public email address. Is there some way that that which is clearly spam can be locked at Homestead and not forwarded to my public address? I tried clicking each bad email as spam, but it still forward to my public address. Is there anything more that I can do?
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

• 3,278 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
My e-mail is very slow and unresponsive and clogged with spam. Starting to look like Hotmail which I left to open the account with you. I would hate to loose customers by moving to another e-mail. Please fix this problem I do not want another holiday season like the one s few years ago when the whole homestead site stopped working in mid-December.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We received notification earlier today that we have brand new email servers on the way. Visit this thread for the latest info. https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of Patricia1200

Patricia1200

six days have passed since your post Mark. When will the spam problem be resolved?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry for the delay in updates. There is a different group of people working on the weekends and I'm trying to get an update at this very moment. I'll post, as soon as I hear back.
Photo of Laura4138

Laura4138

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I don't think we should have to pay for a website that can't filter out all the spam that we have to help you to "identify".
Please get this fixed quickly, or I'll be taking my business elsewhere. I don't have time for your problems.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We understand completely and are sorry. The fix will take time as there are many details to work out to make sure it is done correctly. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve this issue.

Drew
Photo of Patricia1200

Patricia1200

Is there any update on when the SPAM problem will be fixed? I have deleted hundreds, if not thousands over the past two weeks, and the SPAM filter isn't learning.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I don't believe that I will have an update today. There should be one tomorrow.

Drew
Photo of Patricia1200

Patricia1200

Thank you Drew.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You are welcome.
Photo of Jennifer8119

Jennifer8119

• 60 Points
Hi. I'm still getting tons of spam--and tons of the same spam (same memo lines) even after so many days of tagging. When will this go away? Why didn't we get any warning from Homestead that this might happen? Also---still waiting for compatibility issues to be resolved with IE. Any time frame on that one???
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry for all the issues with the email. I am still trying to get an update from our email admins this morning. I will post as soon as I hear something.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Is there a way to forward the spam messages to homestead? Maybe it might help prime your web filters.
Photo of Curt1378

Curt1378

The email is still slug slow! C'mon fix it

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.