Why can't I access Sitebuilder desktop?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Continued data migration 12/12/2014

We are currently migrating accounts to a new, faster and more secure data center. Some customers are unable to access Sitebuilder desktop. In many cases, you will be able to launch Sitebuilder Plus from within your Homestead account, so you can make your edits. We are working as quickly as possible to make the transition to the new center and get your desktops back online. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Some very large accounts with 40+ websites, or sites with several hundred pages, may not be able to launch Plus.

We are very sorry for this inconvenience and assure you we are doing everything possible to resolve this.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Another frustrating day huh? I was thinking about this during the night and about the only thing I can fault Homestead for on this is the less than ideal time to be making such a massive change. We're all upset, everyone is losing money or customers or clients and that includes Homestead. You know how on TV in the hospital shows you have a healthy patient who goes in for routine surgery, no big deal and then how the doctor approaches the family and says, "We did all we could but there were complications and we weren't able to save so and so"? And you know that they did indeed do everything they could but stuff happens as is the case with this current disaster in our 'operating room'. The intent of this system maintenance was to move the data center and improve the speed and security of the system and somewhere along the line there was/is a glitch. I know that the engineers are doing everything they can, as quickly as they can to get SiteBuilder back up and running and unlike our unlucky doctor Homestead isn't going to lose the patient.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to gloss this over. I'm as upset as anyone, but it is what it is and probably the best thing any of us can do is to sit tight and trust that Drew will keep us posted when there's any new developments. Besides, we need to store up our energy for the marathon editing that we'll be doing when we're back up.
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

• 666 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I HAVE A WORK-AROUND THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO ACCESS YOUR “LOCKED” WEBSITES. I’ve been a Homestead developer since 1999 and have dealt with several versions of SiteBuilder. Like you, I’ve recently had the problem of not being able to access my websites, either with the desktop version or the SiteBuilder Plus version on their website. I maintain 70+ websites and several are over 100 pages, so SiteBuilder Plus won’t work for me. Tonight, I figured out a process that allows me to once again access and modify my websites. Devising this process has taken me a significant amount of time and sharing it with you will require several hours of my time and yours. To compensate me for this time, I’m charging $100 to share the process with you.  I’m working on a first-come, first-serve basis and I suspect the process will get slower as more people start to use it, so if you’re interested, email me immediately at retirementtips@yahoo.com. I’ll then share my credentials so you’ll know I’m legitimate and will explain the steps to accessing the process.
Photo of Robert9322

Robert9322

• 782 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This is disconcerting!  An individual tryiing to "sell" a fix?  How about this Drew?
Photo of Robert9322

Robert9322

I will wait for official details!  I've been a customer for a decade and the above looks a bit sleezy if you ask me!
Photo of Robert9322

Robert9322

I have faith that Homestead engineers will provide us a fix!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I agree Robert - it made my radar twitch as well.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I have emailed the customer and do not know what they have done yet, so I can't confirm or deny that a workaround exists.

Drew
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

Well, now my Yahoo email is down so I can't answer emails yet, but yes, I have a "work-around" -- not a fix. I can help you access your websites. It's working for me and I'd like to help you, but it's a somewhat tedious and time-consuming process, so I ain't going to do it free. Sorry about that. I figured it out at about 3 am this morning, and have now accessed three of my websites using desktop SiteBuilder. It's 9:30 hear now, so that a couple hours for each. I'm continuing to fix my others, but will break from that to help you if desired. Contact me at retirementtips@yahoo.com. If someone had offered to help me a week ago for $100, I'd have paid it.
Bob1777, we may be angry and upset, but we are not desperate to the point of throwing away $100 just to attempt your work-around, without any proof that it works or even exists.  If it really does work, then you should "sell" it to Homestead so that they can roll-out this work-around.  Without a substantial guarantee, I cannot afford to give away $100.  Honestly, in this forum, what credibility do you have?  Integrity?  How is what you are doing (and they way you are going about it) any different than a scam?  I want to believe you, but I cannot risk exposing all my work, all of my clients websites, to something we know absolutely nothing about... if you are credible, sell to Homestead... otherwise, please stop.
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

Bandi - if you'll check the Sitebuilder Fix option at Robert-Hoffman-Consulting.com, you'll see that I demonstrate my process to each user before asking for the $100. i also explain why I can't give it away free or "sell to Homestead." I'm not sure why many think I should spend hours of my time helping each user, without getting any compensation. Is it not worth $100 to get operational again? I had considered asking for a lot more, but thought I'd do the Homestead developers a favor. By the way, all the websites you see listed on my site are maintained exclusively by desktop SB.
Bob - If you'll read the messages I have already posted regarding your "fix option", you will know exactly why I refuse to your $100 "offer".  Trust.  Integrity.  Guarantee.  Security.  If this was an "honest" deal, surely Homestead would endorse it... but I will not risk my clients' sites.
Photo of Robert9322

Robert9322

I agree whole heartedly Bandi
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

Bandi - I admire your trust in the integrity of Homestead. I don't get paid until I demonstrate that it works for your situation. Some work and some won't, but we determine that before we proceed. I'm not sure what more I can do, but I wouldn't wait for Homestead to endorse it. I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.
Photo of Patsy Ann

Patsy Ann

• 1,780 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Give it a rest Bob!  We will just wait for Homestead to get us all back up and running...which I know they will do.  Just a matter of time!

+ I am tired of seeing your posts trying to make a $100 off a bad situation!  Shame on you!

(Edited)
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

Ok ... I tried ... bye
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

• 854 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I kind of feel the same way as Patsy.  You may have put a lot of effort into your workaround, Bob, but it seems sleazy on some level  that you would ask those of us in the same boat to pay for your fix.  If I was fortunate enough to find a workaround at this point, I'd be posting it and you'd all be welcome to it.  That's just me, though, and you're certainly entitled to your feelings of justification in selling it.  I suspect there may be many that feel as I do, though.
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

Anita - After getting several similar responses yesterday, I decided to just stay out of the forum. This morning I realized that I forgot to "unfollow", so got a bunch of emails with all the comments, some of which were about me or addressed to me. To Shawn - yes, there is a work-around believe it or not. To Anita and several others - Why I don't publish it or give it away free is explained on my website - if that's not clear, sorry about that. And you may all rejoice - I've been running my desktop SB workaround on my XP machine. Just for fun, I tried to open desktop SB on my wife's Windows 7 machine this morning and surprise! It doesn't work. Really scared me at first, but then I tried again on XP and it's still working fine. I'm guessing that means that it wouldn't work for many of you anyway. With that, I'm going to unfollow and go back to using email, which is much more productive and less public. I sincerely hope that Homestead gets you a fix before 2015, but I'm not holding my breath.
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

• 1,438 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
No there is not a work around
Photo of Zachary7037

Zachary7037

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
haha ... I just noticed a new section added on the "Sitebuilder Fix" page of the website Robert-Hoffman-Consulting.com entitled "PROOF THAT I HAVE A WORK-AROUND" - I think it's addressed to you, Shawn.
(Edited)
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

Looks like he is generating traffic to his site. I'm not going there and I'm not buying the work around
Photo of Trever1248

Trever1248

• 74 Points
Drew, keeping level headed ... is there ANY ETA on the migration and thus the available of Sitebuilder desktop? I get that you are working the issue, however any guess on the timing would help ... even if the news is bad (another week), that has got to be better than the lack of information right now. Thanks!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Trever1248,

Sorry. I am scheduled to meet to get an update tomorrow, but being Sunday, I'm not expecting an update today. I promise that if one does come today/tonight, I will post it here as soon as possible.

Drew
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

I HAVE A WORK-AROUND THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO ACCESS YOUR “LOCKED” WEBSITES. I’ve been a Homestead developer since 1999 and have dealt with several versions of SiteBuilder. Like you, I’ve recently had the problem of not being able to access my websites, either with the desktop version or the SiteBuilder Plus version on their website. I maintain 70+ websites and several are over 100 pages, so SiteBuilder Plus won’t work for me. Tonight, I figured out a process that allows me to once again access and modify my websites. Devising this process has taken me a significant amount of time and sharing it with you will require several hours of my time and yours. To compensate me for this time, I’m charging $100 to share the process with you.  I’m working on a first-come, first-serve basis and I suspect the process will get slower as more people start to use it, so if you’re interested, email me immediately at retirementtips@yahoo.com. I’ll then share my credentials so you’ll know I’m legitimate and will explain the steps to accessing the process.
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

this work around is fake
Photo of Zachary7037

Zachary7037

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
check robert-hoffman-consulting.com, option "Sitebuilder Fix"
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

There is a big article with interviews on Forbes Magazine website all about Homestead, Intuit and Endurance. It clearly states Endurance wants to shed itself of Homestead Sitebuilder desktop and present a more user friendly sitebuilder online. 
Photo of Patsy Ann

Patsy Ann

• 1,780 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Just as I have predicted all along!  They are fading out the Desktop Sitebuilder and this is there way of doing it and getting us all to change over to their precious Site Builder Plus!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Would you mind posting the url for that article Shawn?

Thanks
Photo of Mack4818

Mack4818

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This search on forbes.com provides no results. I'd like to see the source as well.

http://www.forbes.com/search/?q=endurance+sitebuilder

While I'm frustrated with the waiting, I'm not buying that this is all a conspiracy to get rid of desktop SiteBuilder. I well aware of the constant push from Homestead to get us to migrate to Plus, but with so many still exclusively using the desktop version, they'd be committing suicide to eliminate it without having a more robust option than Plus. I've already started building websites in Wordpress, and I would use it in a heartbeat compared to using Plus.
Photo of Robert9322

Robert9322

Is ther a link to this article?
Photo of Nisat Electric

Nisat Electric

• 462 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Here is one article re: Intuit/Homestead/Endurance from 2012. 
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

Here is one link http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/08/21/intuit-fy-q4-light-boosts-div-sells-websites-unit-...  There is links within the article that explain the dynamics.
I have since found more articles that do not collaborate this article. It's true Intuit did not put any money into Sitebuilder desktop and sold Homestead for a loss, BUT, in other articles Endurance clearly makes claims of making their other hosting companies use " Homestead Sitebuilder desktop." So if the new articles I found are the true nature of the glitch. Endurance is in the process of force feeding our sitebuilder desktop into their other hosting companies such as Bluehost and Hostgator about 2.9 million accounts with 10 million domains. There was one article that claimed Endurance wants an "online" site builder and did not want to put money into Sitebuilder desktop. Bluehost is wordpress and Joomla, Hostgator is notorious for complaints. 

Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

Google search "Intuit sale of Homestead to Endurance"
Photo of Mack4818

Mack4818

The only result that comes up when performing that search is your post here. 

https://www.google.com/#q=%22Intuit+sale+of+Homestead+to+Endurance%22

So the "big article" on Forbes that "clearly states Endurance wants to shed itself of Homestead Sitebuilder desktop" isn't necessarily correct, no? All you've shown is one article that gives an overview of the sale in 2012, along with more conjecture based on articles you've read online.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Mack4818 and ShawnDutton,

I am assured by director level folks, that there is no plan to discontinue Sitebuilder desktop at this time.

Drew
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

What time do they plan on discontinuing it Drew? 
Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

• 3,412 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
:) ... If helpful I was on with support for quite a while today, they took me through several steps within Internet explorer changing settings ..after several attempts it refreshed and I was able to get into my desktop version, site loaded then I was kicked OFFLINE and received message UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER , I am only posting to hopefully put some minds at ease :) .... Great progress to see my desk top account launch :)  currently I can not get back in however seeing i could earlier gives me hope
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Shawn it's obvious that you've outgrown SiteBuilder. I'm sure that there is the perfect platform out there with your name on it so why on earth are you wasting time in here when you could be out there rebuilding your site on that perfect platform?
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

OMG Victoria, that's silly yet helpful
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

Susan I wish it was that simple I don't have "a site" I have over 35 domains with over 200 sites on Homestead. I'll move my service elsewhere but I'm hoping it don't come to that, I'm very confident the Techs will have Homestead up and running by Christmas. There is not one entry in this thread that will help anyone bring it up sooner. Drew has been more than patient with my nonsense and I thank him for that but seriously MY SITEBUILDER desktop still don't work today. I haven't outgrown Sitebuilder desktop and mines called Sitebuilder LPX for some reason. I have 4 new accounts and domains I need to get up and running for clients and a ton of HTML code for my affiliate's

Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

silly??
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

There is still no media coverage of this outage. I'm starting to realize the old articles were not written by Homestead Webmasters, they have the facts wrong. I think their mistaken the "online" version with sitebuilder desktop. Bluehost uses Weebly sitebuilder with a lot more features. I've missed a week of cyber stats for cybermonday 2014. Another day dead in the water....
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

Drew - I have a workaround that works. Email me at retirementtips@yahoo.com.
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

$100 for a work around, I could go to Bluehost and get unlimited sites for a year with $100
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

Go, baby
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Official Response
Hi all,

This is not Homestead asking for money for a workaround, nor have we endorsed this, as we have yet to test any viable workaround. If we get a viable workaround, we will share it.

Also,
I have not been deleting posts on this topic as of yet, but this is a
Homestead support community. We will provide information and assistance
with Homestead products and services. From here on, posts that are not relevant to this topic or violate the community guidelines will be deleted. I am sorry, but keeping the topic cleaner makes it easier for all of you to ask questions and get updates. I hope to have an update soon.

Thank you for your understanding.

Drew
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

Drew I designed some of my sites with (Sitebuilder Plus) and used a homestead template. Same site later on I redesigned with Sitebuilder LPX, but when I go to sitebuilder plus it still shows the old template and old site I designed. I'm afraid to open it because I have new HTML I cannot loose in my new redesign. This has always been the case with sitebuilder plus and it asks do you want a new design. I already have a new design but sitebuilder plus hasn't caught on to the fact yet. Anyway thats why I stopped using site builder plus and I don't want to use it now. Not because it's a bad product but I'm afraid of loosing my new design
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I understand completely, and have had a couple other people with this issue. Usually, if you make changes in desktop, they should be reflected in Plus. At the very least Plus should alert you and give you the option to download published or keep local. If you give me site names, I can look and hopefully fix it for you so you can use Plus for now.

Drew
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

here is one I'm not using right now but might be soon, the screenshot "Real Time" is what the site really looks like. The screenshot to the left is what sitebuilder plus thinks it looks like it's a little erie to see something I know hasn't been there for a long time where my real time shot should be. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

My guess is that when they added the ability to use Plus, it copied the site as it was then to the editor folder. I bet that if we can sync it to the published copy, everything will work normally after that. Would you like to try it on that site? or any other?

Drew
Photo of Tim5862

Tim5862

• 1,774 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
May I ask when are we going to be able to access and edit our websites again?
Photo of ReadyRandy

ReadyRandy

• 642 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
... and what will be the "new improved" features!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Tim5862, I am still waiting on the update for today.

ReadyRandy, This is a back end change. There should be more speed, and more security and reliability.

Drew
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

I tried to update it within sitebuilder plus and it still shows the old site on the tiny screen shot. I did notice the "MOVE THIS SITE" option is not there anymore in sitebuilder plus. Some of my sites don't have any screen shot at all they just have this in Sitebuilder Plus
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

This site was designed with Sitebuilder LPX, only sites that were originaly designed in Sitebuilder Plus show a screen shot
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I have screenshots in both Plus and Desktop and some without screenshots.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Are the sites without the screenshots published? I believe it pulls it from the published site, but I am not sure
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

yep they're published, but the very last thing on my list of 'stuff' - was just letting Shawn know. 
Thanks Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi all,

UPDATE: Unfortunately, at this time the engineers still estimate the original maintenance window. However, I believe it was susan2829 that reported that an account that was not working is now working again. This is expected over the course of the window. We don't expect most people will be affected for the length of the window. We are not able to specify accounts to move in any order.

Our teams are continuing to look for ways to improve it.

Thanks

Drew

Drew, do you mean the original 2 to 3 week maintenance window? 

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Bandi4050,

Yes. But your Sitebuilder could come online again anytime your account is completed.

Drew
Hello Drew... I was among the very first affected, yet there is no change... I still cannot connect using Sitebuilder LPX. :(
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I'm not Drew, but for what it's worth I was actually able to log in by repeatedly going thru the log in process and it finally 'took'. I made edits but was unable to publish - got the message that I wasn't connected, blah, blah, but I was. At any rate my edits are made and I can publish as soon as we are back up.
So you might give that a try.
Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

ADORE YOU SUSAN............ Im in ( offline )  PIGGIES TOES, everything is crossed :) XXXXXXX
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Ah shucks  Thank you Victoria  :)   Have all my crossables crossed as well. I just keep telling myself that this too shall pass.

Yes, me too... the very first day of the migration, I too tried repeatedly to log in, until finally Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop launched. Unfortunately,  since it was "offline", it would not PUBLISH any my numerous changes... now, a week later, I still cannot publish any of my changes... so having to wait all this time, this is not a "FIX" nor a "WORK-AROUND"... :(

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

You're correct Bandi it is neither a fix nor a work-around. Rather it is a way for us to accomplish something now so we're ready to launch when we are "FIXED".  Me, I'm glad that I was able to be a bit proactive and not have to do 24/7 edits to get caught up when we are up.
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

The problem I see with that plan is that there's always a possibility of the "problem" not getting fixed and then you've done a lot of changes for nothing. I think my approach is a bit more logical. Robert-Hoffman-Consulting.com, Sitebuilder Fix.
Photo of Gerald2123

Gerald2123

• 276 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
i pay already a lot of money to keep the site up. I will wait for the full update.
Photo of Pamela9886

Pamela9886

• 742 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
susan2829 - were you actually able to log in to Desktop Sitebuilder 'onlne' and do edits and publish or were you only able to get to Desktop Sitebuilder 'offline', do edits but then not able to publish them??
Seems an important question as you are referenced in the statement that says we should be able to access via Desktop Sitebuilder as our accounts are migrated. 

For everyone's information - I am able to use an old laptop with Windows Vista and an old Sitebuilder installation running with MSjava runtime, to log in to my accounts and publish some urgent updates.  This is even with a large site with 200+ pages.  It is actually running better and quicker on this old laptop than it was running on my faster main Win7 desktop before this latest problem.

Being able to use this older installation makes me wonder if there is another problem as well as the data migration.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I think you're going to have this solved before the developers/engineers do!
To clarify: I deal with several accounts. One is large and has multiple sites in it. The others are all stand alone accounts ( client sites). To date I have been able to open some, but not all of the single sites. The sites on Plus are twitchy at times, but recover quickly. The ones on Desktop that wouldn't open originally are still down. My large multi-site account I can access by doing multiple log ins - SiteBuilder will open, I can edit and save (hopefully), but not publish.
Does that answer your question or did I make it clear as mud?
Photo of Pamela9886

Pamela9886

Thanks susan2829 - let's try and help the engineers solve this together.

To clarify - the sites you have been able to Open and Publish are only on Plus?
On Desktop you can only open Offline (after multiple log in attempts) and you cannot Publish?
(I think we can all achieve this offline log in if we are persistent - I can anyway)

If the above is your correct situation - then nobody at this time, (except myself with Vista/old Sitebuilder and maybe Bob????)  has actually been able to log in Online and Publish with Desktop Sitebuilder.

Doesn't appear to be a migration only problem.  Seems that the newer versions of Desktop for Win 7/8 etc. with .net and vjredist. installation are having the problem. Win 7 and the .net installation is what I have on my main Desktop PC (and an old WinXP PC) which I am unable to use.  Maybe some Net Framework or vjredist. support is missing on the new servers.

Just thought clarifying this might help the engineers determine ALL of the problems. I feel we may well be waiting out the 2-3 weeks migration.
Photo of Pamela9886

Pamela9886

A new thought - for the .net installations of Desktop Sitebuilder we need NetFramework 2.0 on our PC's (as per instructions on another thread - "If you are installing the .NET version of SiteBuilder, you'll need to have .NET 2.0 installed. ")
I wonder if it's as simple as - on the new servers they have omitted .NET 2.0 support????
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Yes that is correct.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Drew will be 'here' in the morning and will see this and pass it on. Good thought and gosh wouldn't it be great if that were indeed the answer.
Photo of Pamela9886

Pamela9886

Thanks again Susan - would indeed be great if 'simple' is the answer.
Hope Drew notes that you have NOT been able to go 'online and publish' with Desktop Sitebuilder - only with Plus.
Will wait anxiously for some 'good news'.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Oh I'm all in favor of simple for sure.  Pretty sure Drew knows but it's kind of confusing and I think he just got his words in the wrong places on that post. You're probably the only one who caught it Miss Eagle Eye!  :)

Have a good night and thanks for all your input on this to help us get up and running again.
Photo of Mack4818

Mack4818

I have been able to log in and publish from the Desktop Sitebuilder throughout the outage - when trying to access an account with one website, on a computer using Windows 7. Though it's loaded slowly, it has worked. 

My main account with 50+ websites has never been unable to load since the outage began.
Photo of Shiela5728

Shiela5728

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I have tried several times to connect to SiteBuilder and it keeps telling me I'm ....

I am FULLY connected to at-home wifi (therefore was able to login to my homestead account here) - BUT I cannot login through the SiteBuilder software and connect in order to update my website.  I need to do this NOW.  What is going on???
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Shiela5728,

Try Sitebuilder Plus, online for now. We are working as quickly as possible to complete the migration.

Drew
Photo of Gerald2123

Gerald2123

ok, at least we know it isn't fully ok yet
Photo of Richard8083

Richard8083

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled it keeps saying I am not connected to the internet, even though I am..

I am trying to publish a page that I have updated, but it keeps saying I am not connected to the internet, even though I am. It said it was also having problems with my username and password when logging in. It is saying that it may be possible that I have software that is preventing sitebuilder from connecting to the internet..but I haven't changed anything on my computer? Can you please advise urgently as I use my site for my business.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Richard8083,

Sorry about the maintenance. You may want to log in and try Sitebuilder Plus, the online builder. Most people are able to use it to edit, but some accounts are too large and will take more time.

Drew
Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

Edits made within SiteBuilder Plus May not carry over when we are back online w Desktop version  is that correct ?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Victoria6733,

If you edit with Sitebuilder Plus, then when you next open desktop, it will prompt you to download the published pages or keep the local. You would download the published page.

Drew
Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

One other thing my smaller accounts I still have access to and am able to edit it sitebuilder is it expected that they will be down at some point for the conversion ? Thanks in advance any feedback is appreciated it is the unknown that concerns me :) 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Victoria6733,

Not necessarily. This issue seems to affect large accounts. Your other account may also have been moved completely already.

Drew
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

I've been using SiteBuilder Plus all week, and hating it but at least I could do my daily updates.  Now tonight I get to the SiteBuilder Plus "starting up" screen and it just goes on forever.  Then finally I get an error message: Oops, your request failed due to a network or server issue. Error code: Ox41.      So now I can't even use that to update.  This is SO frustrating.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Anita I had a similar experience the other night. It futzed around for awhile doing all sorts of odd ball things but corrected within a half hour or so. Hopefully this will be the case for you as well.
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

No such luck so far, Susan, but I'll keep hoping.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I'll send some hope your way as well.  I really think it's just a cycle in the data transfer and you'll be functional soon.  Hard though to sit and wait and wonder.  Keep us posted.
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

As a 'fellowette' Homesteader I think If you have something constructive or helpful to add then by all means pipe in, but what you're doing is neither of those. We're all frustrated, anxious and feeling pretty darn helpless at this point so please quit fueling the fire. Enough already Shawn, please.
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

Here is what the experts say

"A six-hour outage for GoDaddy, one of the largest website hosting companies and domain registrars, affected thousands and possibly millions of customers earlier this week and serves as a warning for enterprises not to put their DNS eggs all in one basket.

The downtime was initially thought to be the work of a hacktivist who claimed credit for launching a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack, but GoDaddy refuted the report, issuing a statement that said the outage was "due to a series of internal network events that corrupted router data tables."

The GoDaddy outage affected websites, email and other services, essentially crippling what was the company's phonebook for the Internet."

How is it my fault know one had a back-up plan? It's not and homestead is just as much my company as it is your's.

(Edited)
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

It's too bad that some don't consider this a serious problem and keep cluttering the forum with their silly jokes. I thought I heard two days ago that Shawn was leaving Homestead.
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

I'm not leaving Homestead and although this is a very serious matter there is nothing I can do to bring it up quicker. I've been with Homestead since 1998 when it was free I've spent thousands of dollars and spent days on the tech lines with them. 
here is what I can tell you any ANY service can go down at any time. The experts warn against putting all your eggs in one basket. meaning you should have a contingency plan. Most small businesses cannot afford to have a contingency plan. Myself I like Bluehost (weebly sitebuilder). As far as Homestead is considered to me it's the Ferrari of sitebuilders. It's not running right now but it will be soon.
The honest to god truth is you can delete everything in this message thread and go back to one question "Why can't I access Sitebuilder desktop?" The answer is because of a glitch their currently working on. 
Photo of gord9949

gord9949

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Guess who owns Bluehost?  The same company that owns homestead
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

Jesus, Gord why do you have to be so mean?
Photo of Russ3073

Russ3073

• 688 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It's not mean, it's simply stating the facts.  Mean is having a collossal failure affecting thousands of people and not keeping customers informed.  Mean is not properly preparing for the "migration" and financially hurting the same people that made homestead profitable,  that's mean.
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

I wouldn't call desktop Sitebuilder the Ferrari of drag-and-drop website tools, but it's the one I've been using since 1999 (I see you preceded me) and am still using today. Like you, i believe things will get back to "normal" after the transition to the new servers, but I can't wait until Christmas or later to continue development. In the meantime, I'm doing what works, even though it's a bit cumbersome. Maybe the "fix' will be to update Plus to work for all of us, but I certainly hope not. I tried it recently when helping a friend set up a new Homestead account and I found that many options just aren't there any more. I'm rather stuck on the desktop version. 
Photo of Gerald2123

Gerald2123

I saw that they fixed a few problems, which is great. Like the text boxes getting larger on explorer than firefox. Now it stabilized 
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

Well Bob I would call it a Ferrari start your own thread don't ditch my posts like you know everything cuz you don't

Hello Everyone,  I have been using Homestead since almost the beginning.  I have numerous accounts, associated with numerous sites and domains.  Since this migration began, I have not been able to launch Sitebuilder (LPX/Desktop).  The desktop version I find to be IDEAL for custom designing and creating new sites... I can be precise and specific.  The Plus version is adequate for making minor updates, but is a totally dumbed-down version, with little capacity for custom building a website from scratch (which is what I do for ALL my clients).  Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop is to Sitebuilder Plus as Professional is to Amatuer.  Since the start of this Migration, I have not be able to launch LPX/Desktop... and so far it looks as though this will not change until the entire migration is completed in 2 - 3 weeks.  I do not have one of the biggest accounts on Homestead, so I do not understand why LPX/Desktop has been inaccessible to me for over a week now, especially when it has been strongly implied that only some accounts would be effected for a limited time during the entire migration, not the entire time of the migration.  PLEASE PROVIDE SPECIFIC HELP!!  The generalizations are not helpful, as they seem to be unsubstantiated. i.e. "Keep trying, should be available to you soon"... or "While you are waiting, use Plus"... or "Only big accounts are affected"... In the absence of substance, we are left with speculation: no one is working on a "fix" - they are simply completing the migration as planned, therefore any affected users must wait the expected 2 - 3 weeks.  As a loyal Homestead user, I would have expected an official announcement from Homestead regarding this serious issue, not just polite advice from a "forum moderator" (sorry Drew).  Who in authority is going to step up to the plate?!!

(Edited)
Photo of Craig8159

Craig8159

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Beautifully and eloquently said.  I agree completely.  Why there is no official response or explanation or sentiment of concern(no apology) is beyond belief from a customer service perspective.  

Furthermore, why can't homestead temporarily pause the migration (or whatever it is causing the problem) until one can do so without simultaneously causing the desktop version to become inaccessible?

What is so frustrating to all of us is that we have no choice..we are hostages...and NO ONE is giving us any clue as to the problem or length of time to fix it.

A rational minded and customer driven person/company would reach out and show concern & compassion, and demonstrate a sense of urgency to alleviate a problem stemming from their product.
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

If you research the godaddy outage of 2011 or 2012 not the hack, it was only down 5 hrs and cost businesses over $100 million. I've been working with techs since 1976 and I like them and their methodology of fixing stuff. I've seen fires, floods and everything else knock these servers offline. Homestead, Intuit have both refunded me and credited my account numerous times in the past I expect the same from Endurance but I'm not going to ask this time. why? because I had no contingency plan for my service I bet everything on Sitebuilder LPX with the foolish notion it would be there everyday I wake up. I got plastered for Cybermonday 2014 but i'm not going to sit and cry about it. I'm going to learn from it and move on. I'm hoping they have it back up by xmas, if it's not then I will start to freak.
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

We lost Photosite when Homestead sold it, we lost our mailing lists and email with Zimbra. Intuit did not put one dime into developing Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop no one said a word about that. Now Endurance is trying to make a change to save a dying company which sold for $176 million to Intuit and Intuit gave it away for pennies to Endurance. Endurance is the big boys of hosting they know without a better product and critical updates Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop is dead. We can't design sites with our grandparents Sitebuilders. We're on the cutting edge of technology here give em a chance. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Photosite was before my time, but you should have received your mailing lists by email. We kept them for several months so that they could be recovered if you didn't receive them. We removed the list from within your Homestead account, but you are still welcome to build distribution lists in a mail client, or in the webmail program. It was just not possible to migrate the list to Open Xchange..

Drew
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

I'm glad for the email list removal I was sending a lot of emails to people that weren't opening them, now I'm able to see who opens them and delete those who don't. 
I think there is only 3 or 4 servers that handle mail.
I get hits from all over the world it would be nice for my clients to hit a button and have it translated to their language. 
I'd also like to see an option for message boards.
I do a lot of radio shows but don't see anything for podcasting, I know my friends get kicked off Youtube all the time for spamming Youtube will spam you if you try to post more than 3 or 4 videos a week.
Some of the fonts don't work in my LPX and I'd like to see more font options
I'd also like to see some better color options for bckgrnds. maybe even some more zombie friendly bckgrnds.
Maybe some better stats i'd like a list really quick of my best 20 sites and how many hits their getting instead of going to each site individually. 
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Shawn I can speak to a couple of the things on your list.
1. Fonts - there are only a few fonts considered web-safe meaning they are found on most computers and for compatibility between browsers and operating systems. If you use a font that the viewer doesn't have on their computer the browser will go to the default font. Even one that shows up as a choice on the SB font list, You can code it in using CSS if you are familiar with how to do that - generally you add a stack when coding fonts so if the browser doesn't find one it moves to the next and so on. The work around is to create a jpg - obviously this only works for headlines, etc. you wouldn't want to jpg a whole block of text. Or in Sitebuilder you can go to Design & Links in the toolbar, click on Logo. This brings up a list of the fonts on your computer. Select one and add your text. The logos render as jpgs. Remember though that the Search Engines will read it as an image, not text so you lose any SEO benefit.
2. Backgrounds - There are a kazillion backgrounds out there - do a search. You can save them, upload them to SB and then choose that image to use on the Properties Editor - Page Properties - Background. Select Image and then choose the image you want to use.
3. Podcasts - In the toolbar click on Content > Media & Files > Sound Files  and upload your file

Hope some of this is useful

Sue
(Edited)
Photo of ReadyRandy

ReadyRandy

• 642 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
What about adding .PNG graphic files?  JPGs are blurry! GIF is too limited (256 colors)
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

RR - show me blurry please - You don't want to use hi-res jpgs as that really adds to page weight, but normally JPGs render well at .72ppi. You might want to check your monitor settings to see if there is something you can adjust that improves the quality of what you're seeing on screen.
Plus does accept PNGs and SiteBuilder desktop doesn't.  Why? Don't know - it's above my non-paid grade.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I haven't had time to investigate this yet, but Google does have web based fonts you can try to use. They provide you the CSS and let you pick from many fonts. Since the fonts themselves are based online, it should matter if the font is on the visitors computer. Just search for Google fonts.

Drew
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Thanks for adding that Drew - I'd forgotten about Google fonts.
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

I'm a charter member of Homestead.  I have two main sites that are both quite large and one is used to promote my business.  I post updates daily when I am raising birds, which is NOW.  Because I've been with Homestead so long I am very comfortable with it and can use the desktop sitebuilder practically in my sleep.  Homestead reminds me of my Time Warner cable - when all is well it's a wonderful thing, but heaven forbid there is a problem because you really get no help.  I had an issue with Homestead at one point in the past where it suddenly became unusable to me.  No amount of "help" amounted to anything. I could not download sitebuilder (got various errors) and my version had become unusable.   In the end, I found my own weird workaround, which was to have my husband download sitebuilder on his PC and sign in as me.  Once all was updated I copied the entire Homestead folder to my machine and could then do my thing as before UNTIL there was an update.  That killed the workaround and I'd have to have him get the update and then copy the folder to my machine again.  Finally after months of this I got ambitious and checked my registry for any reference to Homestead or sitebuilder or Intuit and deleted them all, after which I could once again download sitebuilder.  Why couldn't the techs tell me to do this?  Anyway, I don't care to find a new WYSIWYG sitebuilder so will wait this out.  But it's also not really logical to expect people to just accept this without some griping.  Compared to what Time Warner gets when they have an issue, the complaining I've seen here is NOTHING.  Now when this started I was able to use Sitebuilder Plus through the Homestead website.  Last night that no longer worked.  It just says "starting" for ages and eventually I get one of two errors.  So now I'm truly dead in the water.  Sorry that I'm not being constructive, but this really does suck.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

WOW Anita - I'm truly impressed with your previous work-arounds - clever girl!  You might not think your post was constructive, but it was. Showed us there are often different ways to tackle issues and you offered constructive criticism which is never a bad thing unless it becomes overdone. I think we all need a place to vent a bit as this is definitely a big deal.
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

I wish I knew why the sitebuilder plus was no longer working for me, though.  I may not like using it, but it was better than not being able to update the site at all.  Any ideas?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Anita I have no idea really, but the thought crossed my mind about the previous issues you've had with your computer and SiteBuilder and wonder if the same thing isn't happening here. I'm no techie and it really doesn't make sense why that could be the case since we're talking cloud-based vs software but has your husband tried accessing the account on Plus from his computer? I'm curious.
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

I'm not eve sure if he has the program on his PC now since the problem was solved by being able to reinstall sitebuilder (after removing all references from the registry).  Interesting thought, though.  I was actually able to open my desktop sitebuilder once tonight, but it did not show the new pages I'd made in Sitebuilder Plus!  Another roadblock, LOL.  I thought it was supposed to ask about that, like maybe syncing the desktop with the Plus, but it did not. 
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Oh good grief! You aren't catching any breaks. I noticed tonight when I was working on a Plus site that it would slow down and then go back to it's normal slowness and every time it does something 'off' I suck the air out of the roon wondering if this is going to the big one!
Ok here's another curiosity - last nite and tonight we've both experienced things about the same time - I'm in Montana - You?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Hubby wouldn't need the program to check your Plus site - sorry, that thought just zipped through.
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

NH here, in the midst of a nice snowstorm. 

And you're quite right about him being able to check without the program - that didn't dawn on me.  I'll have him check.  Thanks.

OK, it's even worse on his machine, LOL.  It wouldn't even let him log in, just kept trying and trying.  So it seems to be getting worse and worse.  For me, anyway.

Does it strike anyone that there can't be that many people having this issue?  There just is no where near the amount of comments - and ranting, LOL - that I'd expect to see here if a lot of members were having this issue.
(Edited)
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Well so much for that thought - was thinking we might be in the same 'zone' or whatever that they're changing.

We had a heavy snow last evening after a full day of heavy rain - Mother Nature got bored I guess.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow - be sure you get the wishbone maybe that will work on this issue!
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

LOL, it's worth a try!   Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, and to all reading this. 
Photo of Robert9322

Robert9322

Yes, and Happy Thankgiving to all!  Take a breath and know that that HS engineers are working through the Holiday and weekend (I've been told).  Those of us with many sites and hundreds of pages need to just be pateint.  We'll hope our clients can be also!  Let's take a day off and just Give Thanks!  Yes?
And in the words of Tiny Tim; "God Bless us everyone"!!!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Here, Here and thank you Robert.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Missed the last part of your post - duh
Yes, it has struck me as odd that there aren't more posts, but I know from running the Homestead Connection Forum that not all users are aware that there is a Community or a Forum or any support available other than phone. Wonder how many calls they're getting.
Last Mary Poppins comment of the night - perhaps it's getting worse on its way to being fixed.  :)
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

Susan - Regarding your comment why there aren't more posts. Although I've been using Homestead and Sitebuilder since 1999, I've spent very little time in forums. I find that much of the commentary is just that - commentary - and usually offers no quick solution for my problem. I also find it very difficult to follow conversations. If you reply to this comment, I'll probably never see it since I don't know how to find it again. What i do know and have said repeatedly is that I have a work-around that works. It doesn't work for everyone, but is working for me and a few others. Check robert-hoffman-consulting.com, menu choice Sitebuilder Fix. I've mentioned this several times in this forum, but very few have replied. I find that amazing, with all this talk about how much they spend on Homestead, how many paying clients they have, and how anxious they are to get back to work, yet they aren't willing to put out a few bucks to get operational again. Either they aren't charging enough or they're not really that anxious to get back to work.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Anita3148,

I am sorry for the frustration. I am surprised that your Plus isn't working right now. I am looking to see if it is unrelated, even though it does look like it is being affected by the migration.

While not everyone does come to this community, I can assure you that when there is a problem that affects everyone, they do find their way here.

Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi all,

I will pass this whole topic on to the management team. In all the consolidating I have done, many posts may not be visible to you, but here is a bit of a summary, based on what I have read here today.

First, we are truly sorry for this inconvenience. We understand that this is very important to you.

Second, as I have stated before, stopping the migration will be worse, as the fault is in the old data center. It will not solve the problem, just take longer to move everyone to the new data center and get things back on track.

Third, when moving data, it doesn't just all of a sudden move everyone at once in the last second of maintenance. As accounts finish migrating, those accounts should resume. The more accounts that complete will help the remaining accounts to move faster. Simply put, there should be incremental improvement over the period of the maintenance. Unfortunately, we can't pick and choose the order.

Fourth, the engineers are continuing to look for ways to expedite this, and I and others continue to look for ways to make it work.

Anita3148, I can't guarantee anything, but when this is all over, if you like, maybe we can figure out why that is necessary and fix it.

Drew

Drew, in regards to your "third" comment, would you clarify please?

1. Are you saying that since the migration began, EVERYONE using Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop is unable to connect?  Or that only SOME Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop users affected?  If only SOME users, does anyone know why?

2. Are you saying that SOME Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop users will recover their connection sooner than others?  That some users will be forced to wait one week, while others may have to wait 3 weeks?

3.  Are there ANY current "VERIFIED" Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop users who were affected, but are now ABLE to properly access via Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop?  In other words, is there any proof that some users will get access sooner than others?

4. Are you saying that the engineers are working ONLY for ways to "expedite" the migration?  That the engineers are NOT looking for a temporary way to fix the connection issue that SOME Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop users are experiencing?

Thank you,

Bandi

Photo of Anna2285

Anna2285

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I can't login to my sitebuilder program i can login on line.......any suggestions....

i can login on line.......any suggestions? Ive uninstalled and re installed still the same.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Anna2285,

This is most likely due to the data migration. You may be able to log in to homestead.com and launch Sitebuilder Plus to make edits for the time being.

Drew
Photo of Pamela9886

Pamela9886

Drew N, - Firstly, if this data move to new servers is an anxiously, long awaited first step fix for Sitebuilder Desktop - then Thank You.  

It is a shame though, that it is coming at such a cost to all of us who have to put our businesses on hold and are fending off non-understanding and angry clients.
As Bandi Andrew Szakony asked - "Are there ANY current "VERIFIED" Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop users who were affected, but are now ABLE to PROPERLY access via Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop?"
It would be nice to know definately that the problem does really revolve around the migration and not some other reason being overlooked because of the migration.
I ask this because of my current experiences - some of which may enable a few people to use Sitebuilder Desktop.

A week ago on my Win7 desktop computer I was no longer able to log in to Sitebuilder Desktop - user name/password not accepted.
I tried the suggested log into Homestead and used the IE emulation to load Sitebuilder - could not connect to server.
My sites are large - hundreds of pages - Sitebuilder Plus is not an option.

Had the thought that my old WinXP PC (which I ugraded from when Microsoft stopped XP support) that still had Homestead installed, might work.  It was working just fine when I stopped using it.  Was totally frustrated when Sitebuilder would not even load for some reason.  Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, downloaded the older operating system setup from Homestead - still none would work.  Finally got it to work by downloading the .net installation - but the same log in problems as on my Win 7 PC.

Getting really stressed and anxious with customers not understanding at all when I remembered that I had installed Sitebuilder on an old 'Windows Vista' Laptop years ago.  Hadn't used the laptop or Sitebuilder on it for years.

BUT....wonders never cease - I fired it up and started Sitebuilder.  It loaded, did an update and brought up the log in screen.  I entered my user name and password, hit enter and held my breath.  It took longer than it normally would but it accepted my log in details and brought up my sites.  I opened a smaller site - no problems.  I opened one of the larger sites, no problems.
I then exited and tried the same again with my second account - the same SUCCESSFUL results.
I have now been able to make small urgent updates and publish them.  Not an ideal situation but at least I can do urgent updates and corrections - anything more is a little difficult on this old laptop.

If anyone out there has an old Windows Vista setup with Homestead installed then no doubt you will also be able to access Sitebuilder Desktop.

The question is - why is this old installation working?  The conclusion that I reach is that it is still running under MSJava but I have no answer as to why it can log on whilst the newer installations under .Net can not.  This is one of the reasons I ask - are we sure it is the migration causing the problems.

Another VERY IMPORTANT point to note about this is the fact that on this old, slow, not a lot of memory, laptop running Windows Vista - when I call up one of my largest sites - it loads the site very quickly (less than 1 MINUTE).  
On my newer fast, lots of memory Win7 PC running Sitebuilder installed with latest HS download - when I CAN log in - this same site (and others) takes nearly 10 MINUTES to load.  Why is this? Is this an issue that is being addressed? PLEASE????

I am not being negative but feel that I must also mention another point that gives me little confidence and leaves me very anxious Drew.  It is your reply stating - "I am assured by director level folks, that there is no plan to discontinue Sitebuilder desktop at this time."
"This Time"????? This is a pretty evasive answer from your director level folks and leaves it very open for them to say they are discontinueing it next - week, month, year.  I'm sure we would all like a definitive answer about the future of Sitebuilder Desktop.

In many cases the future of Desktop is our future as well (certainly mine) - a future we have been building on for over 13 years.  
I am now an 'older' person and do not have another 13 years to rebuild.  What I have built over the past 13 years was supposed to help provide for myself and my husband who has health issues, now and into the future years. 
The stress, both financial and physical is not helping my own health issues or my husbands (who recently had a several heart attacks and a bypass operation).

Many Thanks
Pam
Photo of Robert9322

Robert9322

Bless you Pam and your husband.  I too am getting older and, I too will depend on the use of our beloved SiteBuilder to continue my business into my later years.  I agree, Plus is not the option for me.

I have been reasurred MANY times over the last 8 years that SiteBuilder will not be discontinued, but of course, no one can ever guarantee us anything forever. Oficially, they could never state better than, "at this time", for legal resons, I'm sure.  
That being said.... ,  I do truly believe that Homestead feels an obligation to the very many of us who have been loyal customers for so very long and have built our businesses with thier encuouragement and blessings.

"Fending off" our non-understanding  clients may not have to be for very long.  Let us pray!  Keep the Faith!    HS is saying up to 3  weeks, but I'm guessing it will be much less.  {Let us again pray!)

VERY INTERESTING regarding your thoughts on Windows Vista.   Let us know what you find.

Thanks for coining our new motto. "the future of Desktop is our future ".  Mine also!  :)

Thanksgiving day is upon us.  Let's Give Thanks and continue to pray and keep that Faith!!!

Very sincerely,

Robert
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

This is the future of data farms, server farms etc. EIG is using one in Provo Utah. Their state of the art high tech super data centers. I've worked security for dozens of these centers now in Denver, Phoenix and Las Vegas.
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Pamela9886,

Yes, there are customers that can use Sitebuilder desktop. susan2829,
in this topic is one of them. She is not able to launch it on all
accounts, but can on smaller ones. I have also been able to launch
desktop on some accounts that I have looked at when answering account
questions.

I don't know why you have 1 older version that runs and the others that don't, but I will pass this on to the engineers. Did you try your Windows 7 machine again?

Robert is correct, we can't guarantee anything in perpetuity. Who knows what the future holds? I can say that current management is, indeed committed to keeping Sitebuilder desktop running for those that wish to continue using it.

Drew
Photo of Pamela9886

Pamela9886

Thanks Drew - I try logging in on my main Windows 7 machine several times a day (both accounts) but still no joy.  Tried it again just a few minutes ago.
My thought with my old laptop and windows vista was that the difference is the Sitebuilder install was the old installation running with MSJava runtime - not the newer .net installations for Win7/8 etc.with vjredist package.
Would love it if you could pass on the question regarding the individual website loading time difference between the old installation and the new.  Waiting 10 minutes for a site to load is very frustrating (and time consuming).
Many Thanks. 
Photo of Mack4818

Mack4818

Posting here too since this is the same issue/question:

I have been able to log in and publish from the Desktop Sitebuilder throughout the outage - when trying to access an account with one website, on a computer using Windows 7. Though it's loaded slowly, it has worked. 

The account with 50+ websites has never been unable to load since the outage began.
Photo of Gerald2123

Gerald2123

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled login problems.

I can no longer login in side builder. If it's captial sensitive, I cannot even change the password. All will appear with same login as before. Even after dowloading side builder anew and delete all history. The on line builder works fine.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sorry Gerald2123,

Many people are able to log in to Sitebuilder Plus online to make important edits.

Drew
Photo of Gerald2123

Gerald2123

thanks. I use the on line builder for now. Hopefully it is because of the updates that it still doesn't work. I only noticed that the on line builder doesn't show how to add target words for the search engines
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Gerald2123,

Plus had the meta keywords removed as they are no longer used by search engines. I have a topic on keywords to explain why and show you how to add them if you still wish to.

Drew
Photo of Webmaster

Webmaster

They may not be used by search engines but google adsense and google webmaster tools uses them and asks users to use them
also we can only pay for homestead domains one to two years in advance which also affects our ranking sites with longer registry get higher rankings on google
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Shawn what both Drew and Gerald are referring to are the Meta keywords - the string of relevant words that we used to enter under the Meta Tag section in SiteBuilder. Google no longer uses the keywords meta tag in web ranking. Too many people trying to game the system by loading it with relevant and non-relevant words. Yes, keywords within the Title and Description and your on page content as well alt text on images are VERY important and that's what Adsense and G Webmaster are referring to.
I have been unable to launch Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop for almost two weeks!!  What it is the deal here?
We keep getting told that one-by-one we will start getting access, but I do not see it!  The only ONE user who claims to now be able to launch Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop seems to have simply "opened" her sites for editing, but is "OFFLINE" and therefore cannot PUBLISH anthing... well, duh, I can do the same... after numerous attempts at logging in, eventually Sitebuilder LPX/Desktop does open, but is OFFLINE and cannot PUBLISH... please give us some REAL assistance here!  Sitebuilder Plus does not cut it!!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry Bandi Andrew Szakony,

I am able to launch desktop on many accounts, but not all. I am not sure why you have been unable to launch for 2 weeks. This data migration began 1 week ago on Thursday night. There might be something else going on as well. You can try doing a clean install of Sitebuilder, but it won't likely work if you are getting the login error now.

The customer you are referring to has several accounts. Some are able to edit and publish, but her largest one is one that only works in offline mode to edit.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Drew
Photo of Tim5862

Tim5862

• 1,774 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This migration started with me on Thursday morning at 3:00AM (cst). It wasn't on Thursday night.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

There may have been something else going on with your account at that time, but this migration was begun Thursday November 21st, at 9:00pm MST.  I will see if I can find anything different that might explain why you were unable to access Sitebuilder prior to that.

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.